19 Broadway Setlist

Robin

• Forum MVP
Or they could also give him Loser, Deal, Row Jimmy, Candyman, Peggy-o and Duprees and just rotate one of those every show.

Hoping for a Peggy-O at the CT. show. Interested to see what the set lists become... Hopefully a good medium between what they have done so far and the Dead tour last year (where they tried to play a little to much imho, with only a few weeks of practice.. was amazing to hear all the different music nonetheless).

• Forum MVP
here are two clips from last night that haven't been posted here yet:

This was awesome.. can clearly hear Phil and Jeff playing through each other especially in the ending jam, John singing, where the song would normally end goes into another jam... yes.

P.S how can people get inside this powerful music while taking pics on their iphone?

This was awesome.. can clearly hear Phil and Jeff playing through each other especially in the ending jam, John singing, where the song would normally end goes into another jam... yes.

P.S how can people get inside this powerful music while taking pics on their iphone?

"His job is to shed light, and not to master"....

...(I hear your point, but consider that if nobody shot the vids, you wouldn't be able to watch and enjoy them. just a thought)

Guest Still Dancin'

I think you said it was a Phish board but still this is funny: "Bobby is Bobby. His eyes were piercingly blue and he seemed focused and upbeat. Did Bobby get blue contacts? :lol:

I think you said it was a Phish board but still this is funny: "Bobby is Bobby. His eyes were piercingly blue and he seemed focused and upbeat. Did Bobby get blue contacts? :lol:

His eyes were/are definitely brown and they weren't piercing either! No contacts. Hehe.

The pink guitar with the pink animal print strap made some kind of statement. People were joking around that he's either "man enough to play a pink guitar" or should go put his short shorts back on.

But seriously, he looked very fit and healthy which was nice to see!

• 2 weeks later...

here's a vid of the Hey Jude from Fairfax (containing the full song, unlike the partial clip that has been circulating for a longer time). last time i'd seen Phil and Bob do this tune was spring 1990; can't believe that was almost 20 years ago! what a long strange trip it's been....

funny stuff...kind of classic Weir.

i think this was the low point of an otherwise hot set.

i agree that it was the low-point from a musical standpoint. but still one of those rare moments that's cool to see for the novelty factor.

• Forum MVP
i agree that it was the low-point from a musical standpoint. but still one of those rare moments that's cool to see for the novelty factor.

I disagree. Weir was obviously frustrated shaking his head at himself there for missing the beginning to the 4th (I think) verse and having to look down at what I assume was a lyric sheet on the floor trying to find his way for the rest of the versus. I'm a big Weir fan and always want to see him do well and I don't think he was doing well in that situation. I understand your point with the novelty thing, but for me, that only goes so far--especially when it becomes a mess like this.

Maybe he'll memorize the lyrics and do it again or maybe it will be shelved like Blackbird was with the GD. Personally, I don't think songs as perfect as Hey Jude go with his style of singing and playing. Brent said he once asked Bob why he would write a song where a chord would fit perfectly in some spot but Weir would choose that spot to put something else in, something that didn't quite sound right on first listen, and Bob apparently told him that THAT'S what made the song his--because of that difference.

I think the Stones, for example, are a much better fit for his style--but that could just be me.

• Forum MVP
I think the Stones, for example, are a much better fit for his style--but that could just be me.

I see that.. personally I think it depends on the some. I think a song like Lets Spend The Night Together is nice for Garcia but really like when Bob sings Imagine. I also think it comes down to really learning thee kinds of songs. Bob was definitely almost sight reading in that clip...

that other guy playing guitar of course kept it intact with those harmonies... :)

also love Phil getting so into the hits at the end of the song..

• Forum MVP
I think a song like Lets Spend The Night Together is nice for Garcia but really like when Bob sings Imagine.

Not sure I understand your point there, but I didn't know Weir is now doing Imagine.

It's not hard to imagine that though, if you know what I mean.

Interestingly enough, Garcia once had a visitor come backstage after a (LOM) show to tell him how wonderful he thought his interpretation of that song was. I think it was Mountain Girl who said that that comment meant more to Jerry that just about any compliment he'd ever received.

Of course that visitor was John Lennon.

Not sure I understand your point there, but I didn't know Weir is now doing Imagine.

I know he did it with the dead last spring in Chicago. Shockingly he messed up the lyrics, lol. I can't remember if he sang it or Bobby rapped it. I think he just Bobby raps on Jerry songs he sings.

Archived