Nokia Night 1

HaveYouEverSmoked

The Weather Report Suite and So Many Roads were worth the entrance fee to me. Rob E's acoustic on WRS sounded beautiful. I loved it. And JK's singing on SMR was phenomenal. I like it when DSO mixes it up with the setlists. It's probably lost on the casual fan, but they can build one hell of an original show. I really enjoyed myself.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
The grilled monkey on a stick was looking pretty good last night :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. A chocolate Italian Ice (large) from almost anywhere, in the white paper cup that you crush as you eat it and end up sucking on the paper

NOW YOU'RE TALKIN'!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah, especially when we were electrified! neat flavor, nice and coooool! those paper cups rule!

and definitely LARGE was the size to go with!

The Weather Report Suite and So Many Roads were worth the entrance fee to me. Rob E's acoustic on WRS sounded beautiful. I loved it. And JK's singing on SMR was phenomenal. I like it when DSO mixes it up with the setlists. It's probably lost on the casual fan, but they can build one hell of an original show. I really enjoyed myself.

I would have said the WRS, St, S>11 did it for me. Of the many shows I've seen, this was not one of the more memorable ones, but I still really enjoyed it. Night two was outstanding.

Criticisms like the one expressed here earlier always remind me of art lovers fawning over a black dot on a white canvas. Those "enlightened" ones who appreciate the wonders of the dot often justify their opinion by denigrating those who disagree with them and relegating the dot detractors to the land of the uniformed.

Life is too short to quibble with the dot worshippers.

On to Higher Ground.

• Forum MVP
Criticisms like the one expressed here earlier always remind me of art lovers fawning over a black dot on a white canvas. Those "enlightened" ones who appreciate the wonders of the dot often justify their opinion by denigrating those who disagree with them and relegating the dot detractors to the land of the uniformed.

Life is too short to quibble with the dot worshippers.

I think people had a problem with the way the criticism was leveled, not the criticism itself.

I know that was my feeling at least.

After all Hound, this is the review section.

While I'm not sure if I want to add fuel to a fire of negativity, I felt the urge to comment. You had asked for reviews from those who had actually attended the concert. I did. Though I suspect my frame of mind was different than yours. You see, this was the last weekend in the foreseeable future in which I would see DSO with JK. So rather than listening with a critical mindset, I was intent on savoring every moment. And that I did. And while their choice of songs may not have been my personal favorite (see Nokia night 2), I thought they played beautifully, with something for everyone. One friend's highlight was Row Jimmy, his favorite song. Another's was the Stranger, soulfully and beautifully performed. And while I am not a lover of the Weather Report Suite, my daughter is. What I do love is the Eleven, and when they segued into it from St. Steven it was just great. Now Eleven is a song which the Grateful Dead last performed in 1970. So when they followed it with a sweet and passionate So Many Roads, a song which they only first performed in 1992, it showed the beauty of the original setlist, putting together combinations which one could never hear the GD play, yet that sounded so right.

Sorry, you don't agree. However your tone does lead me to a concern. Dear Abby had suggested a refresher course in bedside manor. Well what worries me is not bedside manor, but self-assurance combined with closed mindedness. The most important quality a physician can have is to be open and receptive. It is usually when I have made a snap judgment and then interpreted symptoms to fit my misconception, that I have made my most severe errors. I suggest you try to be more open, lest you risk doing your patients disservice.

But enough. At this time of uncertainty and change it seems foolish to waste any furthur emotional energy on this. Here's hoping for a successful DSO transition, and best wishes to all as they travel their respective paths, perhaps one day to join again.

Dr. P

Some fair points here, thank you.

As for my "bedside manor", that would be a dollhouse, I can assure you I don't have one of those :-) Self-assurance, possibly.

I will concede that my initial post may have sounded a bit hostile to some so I apologize for that...but my expectations for that show were so high, I was really excited to be there, and felt very let down. I was also a little short on detail but the 3 or 4 flamethrowers on the initial attack make me laugh and laugh, soooooo many conclusions jumped to (and zero comments on the show itself, because none of you were there!)....me a doctor?!?!? F*cking hilarious!! (more on that in a minute)

Addendum:

No issues with the playing, technically they were great, sound was good, could have been a little louder back by the sound board where I was most of the night but nothing a couple hands behind the ears didn't take care of. Would of been fun to see Healy there again like last year, he's a pretty cool guy. I chatted with him for a few minutes last year...asked him "how many Dead shows did you go to over the years"? His response was "pretty much all of them except for 19XX, the one year I mostly missed". But even with his show count and involvement if he posted a negative DSO review here I'm sure he'd be deemed "not credible/don't get it/stupid", etc... Because many of you honestly believe deep down that DSO and a "bad show" are mutually exclusive items, might need to rethink that. This is a good short read, check it out: http://dozin.com/danhealy/house.htm

As for the set list... I saw enough Pocky-Bucket-Thumbs-Grey-Foolish-Blow-So Many Roads back in the 80's/90's to last me the rest of my life (I especially don't want to see them all in one show!). If those are what float your boat, more power to you...but personally I don't consider those to be the backbone, or even decent filler, for a classic Grateful Dead concert.

Minglewood and Greatest Story (GS one of my fav's) were killer, Row Jimmy and Jack-A-Row excellent...but come the end of the first set I'm only batting 44% and thinking "I'm just sure they are going to blow us away in the 2nd set after this".

BOOM, killer Feel Like a Stranger (check out the 7/4/81 version) and I'm thinking "alright, here we GO"!! And then just as fast all the momentum is gone when Foolish-Blow comes...momentum killed, people streaming back out to bars/bathrooms. Weather Report/Let it Grow excellent, especially Let it Grow, a highlight of the evening but just when we get a little mo, here comes drums/space. At this point I'm thinking "this is not salvageable". Clearly St. Stephen-WTB-Eleven was good in the finishing stretch but then the mo is gone again.

Satisfaction sounded fine but I'd have rather they didn't waste time on it. I did however used to get a kick out of tricking the DJ at our local college bar into playing the Dead by giving him my 12/31/80 bootleg tee'd up to Satisfaction and then they'd roll on into Brokedown and the place would be like "WTF is this"?

As for Second that Emotion, I was just thinking "I can't ever remember seeing this one at a Dead show"....saw it at plenty of JGB shows and it fit, a JGB show that is. Out of curiosity I searched setlist and sure enough, I never did see it at a Dead show -- did you know the Dead only played this song 7 times and 100% of them were played in April of '71 on the east coast tour, I thought that was interesting. Guess the band decided they didn't think it fit either, a good ol' Grateful Dead show that is. Song has it's place, it was performed fine, good on ya if you love it, but certainly didn't fill the bill for an encore tune that sends me off into the NYC night all fired up. I understand the reason for encore, but to me it didn't fit and left me wanting. Don't bother flaming me with all the "it's the end for JK" nonsense I get it, still doesn't fit, to me. (if I end everything with "to me" am I safer?)

As for an open mind, I'm constructive on how the band will perform with Mattson in place, hopefully he'll do great. Seen him several times with the Trickster's and generally liked him. Matter of fact, one night I took my little ol' D3 along for old times sake took a sampling of him/them, turned out killer...anyone remember the D3?!? Everyone was freaked out when Colicchio left Gramercy Tavern but they haven't skipped a beat with Michael Anthony at the helm....some even think it's better.

So, by the end of the night if I'm batting over 50% it's just barely, and for me I don't ever remember batting much below 90% with DSO and if so, again, just barely. I leave very disappointed. It wasn't because the band played poorly, wasn't because the sound was bad, wasn't Lisa's voice didn't sound as great as ever, it was 100% because the setlist sucked -- to me.

OK, blast away!

Quiz: it's only 3 quick hops from Dr. Bombay to DSO, what are the intermediate stops?

Hint 1: not related to Bewitched, but good catch there whoever you were.

Hint 2: the good Doctor is a Bay Area resident/creation.

Prize: two Breakfast of Champion sandwiches from the European Cafe in Penn Station, on me! (the Breakfast of Champions noticeably absent from Barry's list!!)

Dr Bombay and gr8fulauditors are becoming friends , I knew you guys would hit if off ... :rofl:

As for you, I'm sure you were one of the cool guys back in 7th grade -- funny how so many of them end up working at McDonald's.

Hopefully you've already gone to bed as it would be a shame for you to be late for your breakfast shift tomorrow...that McDonald's, they open up early!

Guest deadheadmike
As for you, I'm sure you were one of the cool guys back in 7th grade -- funny how so many of them end up working at McDonald's.

Hopefully you've already gone to bed as it would be a shame for you to be late for your breakfast shift tomorrow...that McDonald's, they open up early!

McDonald's :rofl:

you really were much nicer when you were on Bewitched :huh::rofl:

• Forum MVP
As for the set list... I saw enough Pocky-Bucket-Thumbs-Grey-Foolish-Blow-So Many Roads back in the 80's/90's to last me the rest of my life (I especially don't want to see them all in one show!). If those are what float your boat, more power to you...but personally I don't consider those to be the backbone, or even decent filler, for a classic Grateful Dead concert.

I didn't read your whole post (I'm just too lazy to read really long ones) but I will say that the only song that passes for your 'heard too many back in the 80s/90s' of the ones you listed is Touch of Grey and possibly Bucket.

Negative on the Pockey, Thumbs, Foolish, Roads and Blow Away.

They just didn't play those songs enough for you to have seen tons of versions of them--AND they are all good songs, although I do get people who don't like Pocky.

So I guess I'm saying negative to the last four.

Maybe I should just delete this response now...no...I'll keep it because--to tell you the honest truth--I'm questioning your taste in songs if you hate Foolish, Tom Thumbs, Roads and Blow Away. Those are good songs dude.

And before anyone jumps on me--I know that to each his own and everything but... still...those are good songs.

They just didn't play those songs enough for you to have seen tons of versions of them--AND they are all good songs, although I do get people who don't like Pocky.

In my opinion, Pockey has the ability to set the feel good tone for the night. And as for So Many Roads how can anyone tire of that soulful sound?

The stream of Night 1 on archive sounds pretty good so far.

I think people had a problem with the way the criticism was leveled, not the criticism itself.

I know that was my feeling at least.

After all Hound, this is the review section.

Understood, and agreed. I have no problem with criticisms. We all see things differently.

My point was that when someone tries to set themself above others by suggesting that their opinions sonehow have more merit, and those who disagree with them simply don't understand, well, I find that annoying and childish.

• Forum MVP

I still say it's a cool setlist, but Dr. Bombay need not agree. It seems to me that the tunes he doesn't dig are pretty much last-decade material.

On one thing however

"There can be NO debate!!!!"

Poppie.jpg

Second That Emotion is a great sending song.

Bombay is just plain wrong on that one sez me.

JGB is totally fair game.

Guest deadheadmike
I still say it's a cool setlist, but Dr. Bombay need not agree. It seems to me that the tunes he doesn't dig are pretty much last-decade material.

On one thing however

"There can be NO debate!!!!"

Poppie.jpg

Second That Emotion is a great sending song.

Bombay is just plain wrong on that one sez me.

JGB is totally fair game.

Dave and DStone , I'm typing this while on my break at McD's and I have to hurry because they're real slave drivers here and I only get 10 minutes , I do love the fries though , but , I agree with you both 100% ... ;)

• Forum MVP

McD's has the best fries. Even though the place does have pictures on the menu, no possible debate, disagreement, criticism, equivocation, negative vibes, unruly discourse, or antagonistic innuendo is possible on that topic.

Guest deadheadmike
McD's has the best fries. Even though the place does have pictures on the menu, no possible debate, disagreement, criticism, equivocation, negative vibes, unruly discourse, or antagonistic innuendo is possible on that topic.

470_fries.jpg

:wub: always a sure thing , always DEEEELCIOUS ...... just like DSO !!!

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

Unfortunately, McDonald's along with Burger King are among the biggest contributors to deforestation, cutting down about 20,000 acres a day to make room for their cattle to graze. That's what Pink Floyd's "The Last Cut" is about,, what it will be like when we cut down that last tree. At least that was part of the "Radio KAOS" show Roger put on back in September of 1987 at McNichols Arena. Check with the rainforest action network in making decisions on how to spend your dollar. Ya know JG and crew were aware of the desertification problem happening on our planet.

"Wind BLOWS HIGH" RH

Guest deadheadmike
Unfortunately, McDonald's along with Burger King are among the biggest contributors to deforestation, cutting down about 20,000 acres a day to make room for their cattle to graze. That's what Pink Floyd's "The Last Cut" is about,, what it will be like when we cut down that last tree. At least that was part of the "Radio KAOS" show Roger put on back in September of 1987 at McNichols Arena. Check with the rainforest action network in making decisions on how to spend your dollar. Ya know JG and crew were aware of the desertification problem happening on our planet.

"Wind BLOWS HIGH" RH

The potatoes are grown in the good old US of A !!! :)

Guest deadheadmike
...and McD's has "special sauce"!

and we may not want to know where thats made , or what its made of ... ;) but I think its mostly 1000 island dressing :huh:

Archived