Nokia Night 1

HaveYouEverSmoked

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I'm glad you all are playing nice in the sand box! http://www.dsoforums.net/forum/style_image...icons/icon1.gif At the end of our show we were left with VERY little time, it being a union house in NYC after all) We had to pick a song for the extra without going over the time allotment. You wouldn't believe how much money it would cost us if we even went one minute over. Second That Emotion was perfect( and even then we had to cut half of John's solo and all of mine) and I happen to hold a special place in my heart for that tune.

The saying "what ever floats your boat" fits this discussion. You know, one mans junk is another mans treasure. Songs are picked with the thought of what was played last time we were there, whats been played the last few nights and whats coming up.

All of us here appreciate the discourse and opinions. We love you all. Safe travels and see ya soon. Rob Barraco

• Forum MVP
and we may not want to know where thats made , or what its made of ... ;) but I think its mostly 1000 island dressing :huh:

it's ain't that "special" 1,000 Island dressing! :rofl:

Nokia Night 1>Setlist>Debate>MikeDonalds>Deforestation>Special Sauce

now that's a good thread

in the strangest places if you look at it right!

• Forum MVP
I'm glad you all are playing nice in the sand box! http://www.dsoforums.net/forum/style_image...icons/icon1.gif At the end of our show we were left with VERY little time, it being a union house in NYC after all) We had to pick a song for the extra without going over the time allotment. You wouldn't believe how much money it would cost us if we even went one minute over. Second That Emotion was perfect( and even then we had to cut half of John's solo and all of mine) and I happen to hold a special place in my heart for that tune.

The saying "what ever floats your boat" fits this discussion. You know, one mans junk is another mans treasure. Songs are picked with the thought of what was played last time we were there, whats been played the last few nights and whats coming up.

All of us here appreciate the discourse and opinions. We love you all. Safe travels and see ya soon. Rob Barraco

You sir are the man, can't wait to see you all soon.

I could tell that second that emotion was cut down. I looked at my phone saw that it was 11:56, turned to my brother and said "this should be short but sweet." I'm grateful for any song you all perform, thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you guys and gal do, much appreciated.

Guest deadheadmike
You sir are the man, can't wait to see you all soon.

I'm grateful for any song you all perform, thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you guys and gal do, much appreciated.

Hear Hear !!!

• Forum MVP

i must say this whole show sounds great!! that guy must not like many dead songs.. because the songs in question KICK ASS!! what a setlist!! blow away and pockey are extremely special to me.. and both in the same show?!? dso rarely plays two brent songs in the same original setlist.. im sorry, but barraco's brent tunes are some of my fave dso moments (partly because they are much less common than jk's or eaton's songs)..

i also wanted to say that the two souls is AMAZING!! that song has always been one of my special GD songs, and i was so happy to see it join dso's rotation. Ive seen DSO play it a few times over the last few tours, and they have really improved the performance of that song! (having said that :) ) it was always good, but it sounds even better! jk's solo was perfect, barraco's rant at the end was ridiculously amazing, and the ending "who-oh's" sounded fucking great! just really felt the emotion through the recording i guess..

now to continue in the trend of controversy, i must admit that I secretly wish that barraco sang two souls without lisa. before i go any furthur, i'll say that lisa is easily my favorite vocalist in dso (her voice is more like an instrument!) and that I wish lisa sang at every single show. ill also say that im really glad she sings it hurts me too on her own.. she is so fucking powerful on that song.. talk about music getting you high! but two souls is a pig song, and i think that particular song fit's a male voice.. the emotion is..masculine? im not sure how to convey it with words, but it's just better when pig or barraco sings it. i really like barraco's rant (which was sans lisa) at the end of the nokia recording.. i wish barraco would sing the whole entirety of two souls on his own, and lisa would keep it hurts me too to her self.. its could be like how it hurts me too evolved: RB and Lisa initially sang it together, and it eventually morphed into a 100% lisa song.. my two worthless cents..

Guest crazy digits
i must say this whole show sounds great!! that guy must not like many dead songs.. because the songs in question KICK ASS!! what a setlist!! blow away and pockey are extremely special to me.. and both in the same show?!? dso rarely plays two brent songs in the same original setlist.. im sorry, but barraco's brent tunes are some of my fave dso moments (partly because they are much less common than jk's or eaton's songs)..

i also wanted to say that the two souls is AMAZING!! that song has always been one of my special GD songs, and i was so happy to see it join dso's rotation. Ive seen DSO play it a few times over the last few tours, and they have really improved the performance of that song! (having said that :) ) it was always good, but it sounds even better! jk's solo was perfect, barraco's rant at the end was ridiculously amazing, and the ending "who-oh's" sounded fucking great! just really felt the emotion through the recording i guess..

now to continue in the trend of controversy, i must admit that I secretly wish that barraco sang two souls without lisa. before i go any furthur, i'll say that lisa is easily my favorite vocalist in dso (her voice is more like an instrument!) and that I wish lisa sang at every single show. ill also say that im really glad she sings it hurts me too on her own.. she is so fucking powerful on that song.. talk about music getting you high! but two souls is a pig song, and i think that particular song fit's a male voice.. the emotion is..masculine? im not sure how to convey it with words, but it's just better when pig or barraco sings it. i really like barraco's rant (which was sans lisa) at the end of the nokia recording.. i wish barraco would sing the whole entirety of two souls on his own, and lisa would keep it hurts me too to her self.. its could be like how it hurts me too evolved: RB and Lisa initially sang it together, and it eventually morphed into a 100% lisa song.. my two worthless cents..

I have to chime in - whats new! The Stranger , Weather Report > Let IT Grow was worth admission alone. He must of had way too much Bombay...he needs to hang with us!

2 souls is one of my favorites too. it is a male-view song, but a remarkably sensitive male view. i know there

Guest Lisacat

some people just want the "greatest hits".... scarlet>fire, playin, music, china>rider, etc etc.... These days, I'd much rather have a night of rare beauties than greatest hits.... I also have so many songs that this band has caused to grow on me.... lazy lightning/supplication and sailor>saint used to be my main "bathroom" songs. Now, I won't dare leave the floor. I won't mention what my new "bathroom" songs are because knowing my luck they'll get played every night I'm there ;-) And to be honest, I think there are only about 1 or 2 songs that I would be perfectly fine if I never heard again. I'll keep those to myself :)

And really, its ALL good.

I didn't read your whole post (I'm just too lazy to read really long ones) but I will say that the only song that passes for your 'heard too many back in the 80s/90s' of the ones you listed is Touch of Grey and possibly Bucket.

Negative on the Pockey, Thumbs, Foolish, Roads and Blow Away.

They just didn't play those songs enough for you to have seen tons of versions of them--AND they are all good songs, although I do get people who don't like Pocky.

So I guess I'm saying negative to the last four.

Maybe I should just delete this response now...no...I'll keep it because--to tell you the honest truth--I'm questioning your taste in songs if you hate Foolish, Tom Thumbs, Roads and Blow Away. Those are good songs dude.

And before anyone jumps on me--I know that to each his own and everything but... still...those are good songs.

You're lazy and not thorough and as such the keeper of the credibility, Barry, tells me, that unfortunately for you, this places you squarely in the "not credible" camp. Bummer for you.

As for those tunes, said I had seen "enough"...nowhere does "tons" appear. Now you told me you weren't going to call me out any more and there you go again -- so now you are 2X*not*credible. Even more of a bummer for you.

"Hate" doesn't appear anywhere in my post either -- so leave that out of the discussion. Seriously, you're gonna hurt my feelings if you aren't careful.

Now I'm sure there are some tunes out there that you dislike, why don't you challenge yourself, break out of your little cocoon of fuzziness, and name three or four? And then we'll discuss them.

Do you have that in you? I'm betting you don't...

Nobody's figured out the 3 easy steps from Dr. Bombay to DSO??

PS...were you at that Kimock show at 12 Galaxies a few years back when Molo played with him and his son played drums for a good part of one set? Did I see you there??

• Forum MVP
Now you told me you weren't going to call me out any more and there you go again

Fair enough....my bad.

I didn't look at it as calling you out though--I was just kind of funning with you but you don't know me and, therefore, there was no way for you to know that.

It's absolutely fair game for you to not like or not want to hear any song, whatever it is.

Now I'm sure there are some tunes out there that you dislike, why don't you challenge yourself, break out of your little cocoon of fuzziness, and name three or four? And then we'll discuss them.

Here are four songs I don't like:

Easy Answers

Picasso Moon

Samba in the Rain

Corrina

• Forum MVP
You're lazy and not thorough and as such the keeper of the credibility, Barry, tells me, that unfortunately for you, this places you squarely in the "not credible" camp. Bummer for you.

As for those tunes, said I had seen "enough"...nowhere does "tons" appear. Now you told me you weren't going to call me out any more and there you go again -- so now you are 2X*not*credible. Even more of a bummer for you.

"Hate" doesn't appear anywhere in my post either -- so leave that out of the discussion. Seriously, you're gonna hurt my feelings if you aren't careful.

Do you have that in you? I'm betting you don't...

Nobody's figured out the 3 easy steps from Dr. Bombay to DSO??

PS...were you at that Kimock show at 12 Galaxies a few years back when Molo played with him and his son played drums for a good part of one set? Did I see you there??

I beg of you, please do not engage!!!

Fair enough....my bad.

I didn't look at it as calling you out though--I was just kind of funning with you but you don't know me and, therefore, there was no way for you to know that.

It's absolutely fair game for you to not like or not want to hear any song, whatever it is.

Trust me, I'm kidding, you have not hurt my feelings in the least.

I'm not big on any of those songs either!

But have you ever heard of a restaurant in NYC called Oceana? There's a girl named Corrina that runs it, her family owns it, think of that song every time I go there. For what it's worth, it's a positive thought ;-) (I'm sure Barry knows the place...Steve, probably not)

As for you Steve, if you don't like it then you should really just stay away from this thread -- good riddance.

• Forum MVP
Trust me, I'm kidding, you have not hurt my feelings in the least.

I'm not big on any of those songs either!

But have you ever heard of a restaurant in NYC called Oceana? There's a girl named Corrina that runs it, her family owns it, think of that song every time I go there. For what it's worth, it's a positive thought ;-) (I'm sure Barry knows the place...Steve, probably not)

As for you Steve, if you don't like it then you should really just stay away from this thread -- good riddance.

Is Oceana close to McDonalds??

Guest Ammagamalin Crew
Haven't eaten McDonalds or BK in over two years... going to try to make it a lifetime thing.

Good for you, it is the individual dollar that is going to make a diffrence. They are just two compnies I refuse to support along with about 10 other huge offenders.

Good for you, it is the individual dollar that is going to make a diffrence. They are just two compnies I refuse to support along with about 10 other huge offenders.

my children are 14 and 17 ..to date they have never eaten at either establishment ..can add taco bell and the other usual suspects to that list as well..there are just wiser choices

Archived