..furthur Thread..

VincentPuleo

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So it was the public debut for both of these songs for JK...wow.

What's next for tonight?

Positively 4th Street and an old school Death Don't?

Just got home from the show & I have nothing good to report (IMO)

There were some positive moments, but JK remained virtually silent after some smokin' guitar licks during Jack Straw !

First Set started out promising-sweet Crazy Fingers, then the Bob/Phil show for remainder of first set!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP
This site has gone "Furthur"... John Never played Ruben and Cherise with DSO (and I dont know why).

Brett, I remember us talking about this a while back and you told me that, even in the JGB shows John had done, he never played a Reuben. You were the one I thought of when I saw that list for the first set.

Where have you been man? Hope things are going really well for you and your beautiful little family.

Well after 153 posts, not sure if anyone is still paying attention but thought I would have to throw in my review.

I wish I could give an unbiased review but impossible not to draw comparisons to DSO and the Dead. Against both of these and on its own merits, I felt furthur fell short. I actually feel that JK not singing in the 2nd set was not a major factor necessarily (except on its own merits of song selection) but the bigger story to me was - no continuity, no synergy, no momentum and for whatever reason, John's guitar on a leash.

I do not know if this was by design or our of an unspoken respect by JK trying to give Phil and Bob room but I felt that for the most part, they did not come together as a band and let the music take them wherever it would. It was more like, this is Phil and Bobs show and JK had to take his foot off the gas a few times. Having said all this, there were moments of brilliance - Deal, Jack Straw, Unbroken Chain, Let it Grow - and to the point, these were the times that they seemed to flow as a band and JK was able to unleash a bit. I also quite liked Phils playing and how it was positioned in the mix. I feel his undisputed talents as a bass player were on display and were great, HOWEVER, I return to the theme that I think either by design or through respect, JK was making allowances for this and as a result, no flow to the show!

The thing that seemed to make GD great all those years and DSO so good was as a band, the music would chug along with its own momentum and individual contributions were of the moment, and motivated by the sound around them. In this case, it seems - for the moment - they are trying to create a certain balance and in the effort to manufacture something specific, they are missing the overall goal - spontaneous magic.

For the moment I give them a pass as this has got to be a work in progress and between GD and DSO, the bar has been set exceptionally and unrealistically high. I heard night 1 was much better and hey, even at their best the good ol' Grateful Deads could throw out a few clunkers. The Sound they are searching for will only reveal itself on stage and when they least expect it - but the cynic in me feels it will only be if they check egos at the door and don't try to manufacture it.

I will revisit at Radio City when they have had some time to work out the kinks. In the meantime, my one bit of advice...JK - let 'er Rip!!!!!

Well after 153 posts, not sure if anyone is still paying attention but thought I would have to throw in my review.

I wish I could give an unbiased review but impossible not to draw comparisons to DSO and the Dead. Against both of these and on its own merits, I felt furthur fell short. I actually feel that JK not singing in the 2nd set was not a major factor necessarily (except on its own merits of song selection) but the bigger story to me was - no continuity, no synergy, no momentum and for whatever reason, John's guitar on a leash.

I do not know if this was by design or our of an unspoken respect by JK trying to give Phil and Bob room but I felt that for the most part, they did not come together as a band and let the music take them wherever it would. It was more like, this is Phil and Bobs show and JK had to take his foot off the gas a few times. Having said all this, there were moments of brilliance - Deal, Jack Straw, Unbroken Chain, Let it Grow - and to the point, these were the times that they seemed to flow as a band and JK was able to unleash a bit. I also quite liked Phils playing and how it was positioned in the mix. I feel his undisputed talents as a bass player were on display and were great, HOWEVER, I return to the theme that I think either by design or through respect, JK was making allowances for this and as a result, no flow to the show!

The thing that seemed to make GD great all those years and DSO so good was as a band, the music would chug along with its own momentum and individual contributions were of the moment, and motivated by the sound around them. In this case, it seems - for the moment - they are trying to create a certain balance and in the effort to manufacture something specific, they are missing the overall goal - spontaneous magic.

For the moment I give them a pass as this has got to be a work in progress and between GD and DSO, the bar has been set exceptionally and unrealistically high. I heard night 1 was much better and hey, even at their best the good ol' Grateful Deads could throw out a few clunkers. The Sound they are searching for will only reveal itself on stage and when they least expect it - but the cynic in me feels it will only be if they check egos at the door and don't try to manufacture it.

I will revisit at Radio City when they have had some time to work out the kinks. In the meantime, my one bit of advice...JK - let 'er Rip!!!!!

Thanks for keeping in real.

Archived