..furthur Thread..

VincentPuleo

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bobby sing 'days between'???? bathroom break central. what the fuck man.....

I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear it. It does cause me a little concern though. Listening to the set now. His work on LLR is not bad. I think the backing of the band helps a lot.

• Forum MVP
Listen to Bob's choppy lyrics on Ramble On Rose. You can clearly hear the crowd singing it the original way in the background. Pretty funny.

As per my post earlier in this thread, I really don't get Weir's vocal delivery these days. Choppy, spoken not sung......not great imo. Ramble on Rose a great example.

Do you think this is purposeful or just the way it falls out of his mouth?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who was at both last nights show, and the Oakland shows. I attended the Friday and Sunday Oakland shows, and thought that there was a huge improvement on Sunday. If this trend has held, and last night was a significant improvement over the Sunday Oakland performance, then this bodes very well! Sounds like they're taking the leash off of John more at every show. Now if they'll only let him sing a Jerry ballad!!!

Bob doing the vocals on Day's Between? Perhaps it wasn't as horrible as it sounds in concept, but why not let the guy who can really sing this beautiful song the way Jerry meant it to be sung do the deed?

• Forum MVP
I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear it. It does cause me a little concern though. Listening to the set now. His work on LLR is not bad. I think the backing of the band helps a lot.

you can reserve judgment all you want but that doesn't change how bad you know bobby's singing will be. Not a hater here just realistic.

• Forum MVP

I've still got to write up my whole review, but did anyone else notice Phil showing the love to Jeff C. and JK after Scarlet>Fire. He extended his arms out and gave an air pound to both of them with a nice nod satisfaction. Phil seemed to be lovin it the entire time.

On another note, Bob definitely sang Days Between because he's so used to singing these songs for almost 15 years. It can be a rough adjustment but the transition will be made over time. JK got a lot of vocals and i think they are building up their trust with him (rapidly) and they will soon hand over some of the ballads to him. Having said that, i thought the music to Days Between was really sweet and serene and Bob did an all right job with the vocals, could definitely hear him trying to get his soul out.

I gotta write that review once im done with these finals, it shall come.

As per my post earlier in this thread, I really don't get Weir's vocal delivery these days. Choppy, spoken not sung......not great imo. Ramble on Rose a great example.

Do you think this is purposeful or just the way it falls out of his mouth?

dylan has taken to doing this too. it may be a natural progression. we certainly don't want our boys stagnating. i absolutely love bobby's voice and will take it melodic or rap, whichever he chooses. one of the stealies, i think it was john a., said it best: let's just sit back and watch the mystery unfold.

I've still got to write up my whole review, but did anyone else notice Phil showing the love to Jeff C. and JK after Scarlet>Fire. He extended his arms out and gave an air pound to both of them with a nice nod satisfaction. Phil seemed to be lovin it the entire time.

On another note, Bob definitely sang Days Between because he's so used to singing these songs for almost 15 years. It can be a rough adjustment but the transition will be made over time. JK got a lot of vocals and i think they are building up their trust with him (rapidly) and they will soon hand over some of the ballads to him. Having said that, i thought the music to Days Between was really sweet and serene and Bob did an all right job with the vocals, could definitely hear him trying to get his soul out.

I gotta write that review once im done with these finals, it shall come.

Jeff is absolutely amazing! He has been the biggest surprise for me with Furthur. I did not previously understand how great he is. I love to watch Phil and Bob in this clip for the Marin club they recently played:

The guy in the comments section completely nailed it. First Phil gets blown away and turns to Jeff. Ten seconds later, Bobby bets hit with another Jeff bomb, and he looks over in shock and awe!

I agree musically Days was great, just a big let down as Bobby approached the mic, when you know JK would have delivered another grate Days, where Bobby is just Bobby!

See 'Ya in NYC tonight,

Rob

Listen to Jeff's work on last night's King Solomon's Marbles. The sound is very reminiscent of the Dead's 3/23/75 Kezar Stadium performance. I just love it.

As for Bob's new style I don't think it is a natural progression. I think he has made a conscious decision to adapt the lyrics in that way. i think Springsteen has done the same thing with his vocals over the years. Like someone said before it's almost spoken word and whoever said Bob's work is "Shatneresque" nailed it perfectly. I completely understand attempting new things and evolving, but this is not evolution. You know he's hear/seen the reviews about this issue. FURTHUR is not Rat Dog. Save the choppy lyrics for that iteration. Lay down the old school stuff with FURTHUR.

• Forum MVP

Yes!, Jeff has been a big part of the post Grateful Dead bands... unappreciated, so happy he is in Furthur it is quite clear Phil loves playing with him.

listening to the sugarmegs stream... got to love the "Let John Sing!" chant in the beginning... I think this tour is going to be the kind of thing where I will want to get every show for listening. Last spring I did not feel that same way.

I believe Bob's singing has grown this way naturally... I don't see why he would make the conscious decision to do that... things change naturally after 30 how long is it now? oh yeah... 45 years of singing all the time. Phils playing has too... They are both still Bob & Phil though. I think Bob's William Shatner thing is over exaggerated. Of course it isn't exactly like it was from 65-95 but that would just be strange if it was. I am always more biased on their side though since I never got to see the Grateful Dead, so I am just psyched I can see them. Listen to the Truckin' from last night though... clearly singing.

On another note, Phil seems to be moving up and down the bass more rather than just using that high C string. This is good..

dylan has taken to doing this too. it may be a natural progression. we certainly don't want our boys stagnating. i absolutely love bobby's voice and will take it melodic or rap, whichever he chooses. one of the stealies, i think it was john a., said it best: let's just sit back and watch the mystery unfold.

Anyone who has seen Willie Nelson over the last 10 years or so (example: Whiskey River - just going thru the motions these days) has experienced the same thing. I call it "chanting" the lyrics, but "Shatneresque" is an awesome description too. Hmmm, Nelson, Dylan, Weir - perhaps it's just a "senior" thing... With Willie I always felt he was just being lazy.

• Forum MVP

I am not new to John but I'm always blown away by his work. I felt Weir was having a little trouble at first getting it together right before the climax but Chimenti was coming through so clear and then Phil and Bobby hooked up with Jeff and John and then it just exploded. I really dig Lane and Russo on the set and percussion and felt they added a really nice dynamic, great energy.

Just as a comparison listen to Bob's "singing" on The Other One. Maybe it's a case where the song lends itself to his new style. Perhaps The Other One won't support that choppy lyrical style, so he sings it like he used to. Or I guess you could argue that these lyrics are inherently choppy to begin with. I don't know and I really don't care anymore. What I do care about is the fact that you can feel some serious power from the band and the crowd when they hit "comin' around". Pretty awesome.

• Forum MVP

I agree... if they can come close to some kind of group mind where everyone is on the same page is a good thing.

Despite Bob's phrasing on Jerry songs... when you listen the Ramble On Rose it is clear the crowd is 100% there... the sing along was sooo strong. Could feel a lot of power even through this sugar megs mp3 stream.

I agree... if they can come close to some kind of group mind where everyone is on the same page is a good thing.

Despite Bob's phrasing on Jerry songs... when you listen the Ramble On Rose it is clear the crowd is 100% there... the sing along was sooo strong. Could feel a lot of power even through this sugar megs mp3 stream.

Archive download:

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2009...210.psp3.flac16

• Forum MVP

All riiiight... I'll do it now, song for song. I just lurk on skateperception, i like reading what other people have to say but don't feel the need to interject with my opinion there. Funny forums over there with a lot of great skaters and filmers.

Opening Jam - I dug it. A little bit of noodlin around but felt it had some direction and knew where they wanted to go with it.

Truckin - Weir was sort of stumblin a little bit in the beginning but the crowd got amped up right away and the band immediately starting feeding off it. When the climax was coming, Weir's rhythm with those high notes was a bit off btu starting pulling together once he locked back in the groove, at which point i was really feelin Chimenti and John. Once they hit that note though, they unleashed a beast of a truckin. John was playin his heart out, split my mind like it was an atom i just exploded. Did some nice noodlin around and then went into

Dire Wolf - John set the tempo for this one and it was just right. Nailed the vocals down and everyone was singin "Dont Murder ME!" It was so nice to have JK singing right on the second song. I knew right from there we were gonna be in for a real treat.

Doin That Rag - WHAT?!?! Caught me way off guard. The band was sounding really tight at this point. Everyone else was hitting their harmonies. The change of the tempos from verse to chorus was perfect. Great rendition, so happy to hear this one, especially with JK singing it.

Ramble on Rose - Split vocals but i expected it for this tune considering JK had the last two songs. At first, Bob's vocals were off kilter and choppy but i started to really dig it after the first verse. I didn't expect to hear Europe 72, I was there for Furthur. Still sounding really good though and everyone was playing off each other really nice.

Reuben and Cherise - To be honest, i heard the opening riff for this a couldn't believe my ears. I couldn't even fathom hearing them play this and didn't really accept it until i heard John sing and then i was in utter bliss. Maybe the highlight of the first set. Bob was layin down some killer rhythms and they were exceptionally groovin, i mean really, really cookin. Feel so blessed to have witnessed this last night.

Looks Like Rain - Time for another Bobby song, what a great one to choose. He was sounding really strong on this. This one middle aged lady next to me was singing (at the top of her lungs) completely out of key, completely tone deaf. Sort of got on my nerves but I tuned her out. It's like this, i appreciate the energy your bringin to the show lady but come on already, you're piercing my ear drums. Once the end jam came, they were all cookin. Bobby was going "Rain Rain, go away. I can't stand anymore rain today." Was gettin really into it. John was playing some licks that reminded me off some early 80's Looks Like Rain. Really Powerful stuff here. Great tune for Bobby to really come through on.

Cosmic Charlie - I saw and heard JK break out the slide and thought to myself, "Passenger?" Nahhhh, another total surprise to end the set. Didn't really mind not having JK sing this one. Phil and Bob did a great job on this one. Everyone in the band was clicking and hitting some really intense notes, great interplay. The ending came to real slow gradual close. "Go one hommmeee, Your Mommaaa's callllliiinnnggg youuuuuuuuuuuu."

First Set overall - Really, Really impressed. Loved and surprised at the amount of songs they gave JK. Seemd like they really made the most of their rehearsal time. They all knew exactly what to do and who to look for in certain parts of the jams. Great song selection with some real treats in there. A little short though, Maybe about 1 hour and 10 minutes max. Everyone was doing exactly what they needed to and playing nice with each other.

I'll do the second set in a bit. Today's a hectic day for come 2 o'clock

Archived