..furthur Thread..

VincentPuleo

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Yeah! Listenin to Doin that Rag right now. Great harmonies, intense jam at the end, really rockin. Scarlet Fire was out of this world, as well as Cold Rain and Snow. I'll post my second set review at about 9 o' clock once im done with classes.

• Forum MVP

Does it mean I'm crazy if I am enjoying this Days Between with Bobby singing?

On Scarlet now, jam after last vocal got lost for a minute but John seemed to save the direction going right into the ending line. Love to hear him belt out the line "...plaaaaaying, in the heart of gold bad" just as Jerry did. Also unleashing vocals on Fire... so nice to have him since the whole suite.

Does it mean I'm crazy if I am enjoying this Days Between with Bobby singing?

YES

Seriously, I took a listen and it wasn't as horrible as I had feared. However, compared to the versions that Jerry and JK have done, the vocals are simply inferior IMO. Bobby still has a nice voice (can't say that for Phil), but as others have already stated, the phrasing is just not right. I suppose he just wants to make it different and put his individual stamp on the song. However, I just don't feel that this is an improvement over what Jerry and Hunter created. The whole mood of the song is impaired by the stuttering Bobby-style delivery of these beautful lyrics.

Of course, all this is just my opinion, and nobody is crazy for loving it or hating it!

Reuben has been played but not often and not for years, at least according to the DSO database.

OOPs . really?? well if it was within the last three (perhaps i missed it) been out of the loop , but dont think it was played before that . (never with scott)

can you show me the date?

I guess its Rubin? anyway I think you will find that all the listings for Rubin are when David Gans played it (and John joined him quite often but usually on mandolin) but I dont think DSO w/John ever played it. I used to pride myself in this sort of "worthless" knowledge . ha ha

• Forum MVP

Oh, no doubt would it be better with John. I still feel with this stuff emotion is a factor rather then not wanting John to sing everything, with each show John has been singing more so I think he'll get next ballad and it will be something special.

Also to note on the Fire, around the "more you will take line" Jay and Joe jump in so nicely. Then Jeff plays his part so high up.. so nice.

Show is coming to a close, truly exceeded my expectations for the first one.

John absolutely knocked the friggen doors off of Fire. His vocals were very aggressive and his playing was super sweet. They kicked it into overdrive on this one. And the crowd goes completely off during Cold Rain.

Guest crazy digits
Reuben has been played but not often and not for years, at least according to the DSO database.

This is an arguement from several of the regulars that see DSO. I always said I was certain I saw them perform this song...way too many shows!

• Forum MVP
OOPs . really?? well if it was within the last three (perhaps i missed it) been out of the loop , but dont think it was played before that . (never with scott)

can you show me the date?

I guess its Rubin? anyway I think you will find that all the listings for Rubin are when David Gans played it (and John joined him quite often but usually on mandolin) but I dont think DSO w/John ever played it. I used to pride myself in this sort of "worthless" knowledge . ha ha

Well, you are correct. All with David Gans. My bad. Your pride remains intact! :lol:

• Forum MVP
I agree... if they can come close to some kind of group mind where everyone is on the same page is a good thing.

Despite Bob's phrasing on Jerry songs... when you listen the Ramble On Rose it is clear the crowd is 100% there... the sing along was sooo strong. Could feel a lot of power even through this sugar megs mp3 stream.

I too enjoyed the sing-a-long format, but only because Bob was singing. If John had been singing, I would prefer less sing-a-long so that I could hear John sing. Its our job to spread energy through dance not our voices. No one wants to hear me sing Ramble On Rose.

• Forum MVP

Drumz - Jay and Joe have some great chemistry together. Jay is jumping up and down, making some real cool rhythmic patterns. Joe is layin down some beastly beats. Had some real sparks flyin here and a nice intro into

King Solomons Marbles - Intense jam! Such good rhythms going on. Very deep and exploratory jam. Was dancing my ass off (as much as i could) Sort of reminded me of slipknot meets other one. Great interplay between the band. Everyone was listening to each other and playing along accordingly. Such a thunderous jam. Very dynamic oriented song.

He's gone - Shared vocals, but it was all good. I thought it was very appropriate for this song to be shared and had a real strong message. Everyone is sounding tight, especially Jeff, just tickling the shit out of them ivories. He is so good, so happy he's playing with them. The jam at the end was very improv and had a lot of feeling. Definitely searching for the sound here.

New Potato Caboose - Phil lets it loose. I always enjoy Phil singing this song. He was in key and his tone last night wasn't even that bad, he was having a real good time. Everyone really locked in and I really dug the transition into

Other One - This is where things went absolutely bananas. The arrangement was a little different but was digging it. Gave more room for everyone to play and explore. Bobby rapping this one was classic. They went up, down and all around after the first verse. everyone got a chance at directing the jam. Second verse came around and song came to a solid ending.

Days Between - It's been said, yes, Bobby sang it but was i really surprised with all the great songs they gave JK and it is a ballad that Weir probably has some attachment to and will release to JK in due time. I did dig his rendition of the vocals though. The music was very serene and sweet. Great flow of energy during this song. Although it was the low point of the show, i thought this song still shined as much as it could have with Bobby behind the wheel.

Scarlet Begonias - This was the beginning of he highlight of the second set. Dug the vocals on both gentleman's parts. Like the arrangement. Thought the jam was a nice length, maybe a little longer. But it was right to the point, very concise and not a lot of mumbo jumbo. I remember John digging deep and shredding the fuck out of this one. Goosebumps type shit. Very cool, albeit sudden, transition into

Fire on the Mountain - John didn't let up at all on this one. Sang his heart out and played some stellar riffs. Gettin some really funky and groovin rhythms. After this tune, everyone in attendance was thoroughly impressed with the new guy. As i said before, Phil showed a lot of love towards Jeff and John after this tune.

Cold Rain & Snow - Such a great song for us to end on (especially considering the weather outside). Shared vocals and rightly so. They were absolutely smoking at this point. Firing on all cylinders and the set came to a close.

Encore: Touch of Grey - A Little cliche but i can dig it. It was fitting for the occasion.

Overall and other notes of interest: Great fucking setlist. Both sets absolutely killed it. John was singing a lot more than the previous run. Everyone on stage (and in the audience) felt the love and bond between these musicians. Nothing but great things to come. Bobby must be really used to singing these songs. One time he almost snaked one of JK's vocals on a verse (i forget if it was He's gone, Scarlet, Cold Rain, or Touch) but he stepped to the mic and then John started to sing and Bob took a step back and give him a nod that said "Sorry, My B. Do your thing, i trust ya." Loved everyone in this band, can't wait to see them again, only gonna get better. I think they ended up playing for about 2 hours 45 minutes in total. Security was really relaxed. 9.5 out of 10, best show I'VE SEEN since DSO this past Fourth of July at gratefulfest, even a tad bit better then the second night at Nokia.

• Forum MVP

Haha, yeah, Bobby let him rebate that shit. Bobby forgot some lyrics during either cold rain and snow or touch of grey and the crowd just started laughing. He fucked up the first line, looked down at the teleprompter and stuttered some bull shit. shook his head and did one of those arm waves like "oh you guys. come on, you know i was gonna fuck up." He's been playing this music for 45 years and he hasn't really changed.

edit: vince, we need to get together sometime before a DSO show or somethin and shred for a couple hours.

Hey now, my young friends. This micro analysis of the show is a little over the top. There is a whole tour ahead of us which I'll see some of the shows. I'm glad you're on the bus. This is going to be grate. Peace

100% agree jawdoc.......kick back and enjoy one of the finer things life has to offer........the music of the Grateful Dead....there's gonna be good ones and most likely some bad ones.....if the music is being played right thats the way it HAS to be ~ thats the very nature of this music ~ taking the chance ~ reaching for that gold ring.....down inside

Congratulations John on what sure to be is living your dream......

Peace

• Forum MVP
That's the debut of Rag for John...

Not sure it it's the debut for Reuben...pretty sure it is though.

Of course it's the debut of everything Furthur but you all know what I mean.

So it was the public debut for both of these songs for JK...wow.

What's next for tonight?

Positively 4th Street and an old school Death Don't?

• Forum MVP
100% agree jawdoc.......kick back and enjoy one of the finer things life has to offer........the music of the Grateful Dead....there's gonna be good ones and most likely some bad ones.....if the music is being played right thats the way it HAS to be ~ thats the very nature of this music ~ taking the chance ~ reaching for that gold ring.....down inside

I'm totally with you!

playing music myself and being younger never getting see the Grateful Dead this is sort of especially awesome for me. Listening to the shows and talking about even the smallest moments is something I simply enjoy! not to mention there is a small population of people my age who listen to the Grateful Dead for the music. This is the one place I can let out all my thoughts on the matter! haha..

I'm totally with you!

playing music myself and being younger never getting see the Grateful Dead this is sort of especially awesome for me. Listening to the shows and talking about even the smallest moments is something I simply enjoy! not to mention there is a small population of people my age who listen to the Grateful Dead for the music. This is the one place I can let out all my thoughts on the matter! haha..

right on

• Forum MVP
I'm totally with you!

Ditto... just ditto

Archived