Asbury Night One...

VincentPuleo

• Forum MVP

No problem, I totally see what you're saying. I was at the show yesterday with my Dad someone who as seen many Grateful Dead shows and he was a little more bothered with John not singing Eyes or something than I would be. Especially since him and I were introduced to Dark Star Orchestra at the same time and he was blown away as was I by the power and had his eyes closed most of the time. I would much rather have John sing China Cat for example as you said then Bob though and was so psyched last night when he did. But yes, in the live setting I was introduced to everything being sung by Phil or Bob.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum VIP

Vincent thanks for understanding...we all love the music and I am glad you have seen it to the quality it deserves with DSO....the furthur stuff is cool and fun but some of us just struggle with their motives sometimes....thats alll...thanks for the updates and the deadication ...peace

• Forum MVP

This list is going to get bigger but here's what he's gotten so far.

I am sick as a dog, home alone and obviously have nothing better to do...

Alabama Getaway

Althea

China Cat

Crazy Fingers

Deal

Dire Wolf

Doin' That Rag

Reuben & Cerise

Scarlet Begonias >

Fire On The Mountain

Shakedown Street

Ship Of Fools

This list is going to get bigger but here's what he's gotten so far.

I am sick as a dog, home alone and obviously have nothing better to do...

Alabama Getaway

Althea

China Cat

Crazy Fingers

Deal

Dire Wolf

Doin' That Rag

Reuben & Cerise

Scarlet Begonias >

Fire On The Mountain

Shakedown Street

Ship Of Fools

Still waiting for one of those beautiful slow Garcia ballads. Ship of Fools is getting close, but a Stella or Comes a Time would really be wonderful. It's got to happen sooner or later...at least I assume it does.

Update!! I see while I was typing the above crap, we got Wharf Rat!! Feeling much better!!

• Forum MVP

I went over to the Phil Zone to see what the list was last night and they were going crazy about the Strawberry Fields---guess he used to do it with Q and the Dead.

I can imagine him singing that one ok.

For some strange reason, I didn't get off on the Beatles songs the boys would cover---cept for maybe I Want to Tell U and Revolution.

Daytripper, Why Don't We Do It, Rain, Get Back, TNK, Lucy, Blackbird, All Too Much--obviously all songs of pure genius but never liked them that much with the GD--could be forgetting some.

The Hey Jude in Hamilton was an exception and the reprise obviously worked too, and JGB is a different story.

ATTENTION

Wharf Rat (JK)

thank god...

Guest crazy digits
At least he didnt do it tomorrow night...when u are there buddy...he will save the sugaree for that night

or bro esau

golden rd (jk ) LOL

inside thing :-)

Thanks a lot for the updates Vincent!

Also consider this for a moment.... you are much more able and better equipped to not be bothered by Phil or Bobby singing Garcia stuff because for some of it, that's probably how you were introduced to the material, (that could be a reason why you can love Weir singing China Cat for example), but more importantly, you did not have years and years of hearing those songs sung by Garcia. So consider yourself lucky in a way but also hear the complaints with a grain of salt and remember that your perspective might be different if you had seen Garcia sing these songs for years.

Just something to think about when you have to hear all the complaining because I'm sure, to someone like you, it could get really annoying (it is to lots of others too!). It's not like I think you don't get this cause you most likely do, but it's something to keep in mind nonetheless.

And thanks again for the lists and the lists done the right way.

David,

Very well stated point....I know for myself it's just too painful to listen to a Jerry song done poorly by (BW/PL) when JK would deliver it in a style that would make Jerry smile! .......Gotta get over it or get off the bus,this shit is killing me!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP
I went over to the Phil Zone to see what the list was last night and they were going crazy about the Strawberry Fields---guess he used to do it with Q and the Dead.

The Strawberry Fields was one of the greatest parts of the show for me... Perfect out of a nice jam out of Dark Star.. John knows that music so well, Phil's vocals were inspiring.

Playing In The Band

Althea (JK)

New Speedway (BW)

Wharf Rat (JK)

Cassidy

There might have actually been a Golden Road in between Wharf Rat and Cassidy, not sure though..

Archived