Asbury Night One...

VincentPuleo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who sang Golden Road????

JK hates that song...

From the recording I downloaded....JK is certainly up front in the vocal mix......I've heard JK doesn't really like that song also ~ however ~ you wouldn't have known it from this version!!! Absolutely crackling with energy.

Guest deadheadmike
From the recording I downloaded....JK is certainly up front in the vocal mix......I've heard JK doesn't really like that song also ~ however ~ you wouldn't have known it from this version!!! Absolutely crackling with energy.

Fritz , night one is over ... we're on night two bruh , get over to two , will ya :D

Fritz , night one is over ... we're on night two bruh , get over to two , will ya :D

Just catching up with last night as i just heard it for the first time this afternoon is all.....sorry ;)

He's their bitch....

....buwahahaha.....by the end of the tour JK will have flipped their rolls then I have a feeling....

• Forum MVP

yea Jk's got the verses to himself, all on chorus obviously. it is really sick, Jk has a real nice solo......just a littttttle bit better than mattson lol

Man. Hot Hot Hot. I have seen The Golden Road a couple of times (Dead and Other ones I think) and I have never liked this "newer" version until now. If JK doesn't like that song he faked the hell out of it.

I'm listening to this night show right now and I'm pretty impressed. I got the goose bumps teary eyed thing going. Wharf Rat just started, I'm pumped to hear this and that brown eyed women was hot.

Man. Hot Hot Hot. I have seen The Golden Road a couple of times (Dead and Other ones I think) and I have never liked this "newer" version until now. If JK doesn't like that song he faked the hell out of it.

I'm listening to this night show right now and I'm pretty impressed. I got the goose bumps teary eyed thing going. Wharf Rat just started, I'm pumped to hear this and that brown eyed women was hot.

Weir singing is strong on New Speedway! Wow JK on Golden Road...!!! I really love what I've heard from Althea through GR...

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2009...kg.sbeok.flac16

This link may have already been posted somewhere but anyway...

Have listened to most of this show now that it is up on archive. One thing that I find very interesting so far about this show are the surprises. Peggy-O is a major change from the standard version with its country-style and Phil on vocals. I personally would prefer to hear the "old school" version, but I have to give them points for innovation in reworking this song into something that is also very nice to listen to. Also was surprised how they went into Rider without China Cat. Don't think I ever heard that done before, but I imagine the GD used to do it. Again, I would have prefered the China/Rider, but this worked quite well. New Speedway>Wharf Rat is great. I get the impressing that that Phil and Bob are slowing letting JK share the center stage even sometimes lead the band. I also can't say enough about Jeff. He is awesome on keys! Overall, seems like a fine show, and bodes well for the future.

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
Have listened to most of this show now that it is up on archive. One thing that I find very interesting so far about this show are the surprises. Peggy-O is a major change from the standard version with its country-style and Phil on vocals. I personally would prefer to hear the "old school" version, but I have to give them points for innovation in reworking this song into something that is also very nice to listen to. Also was surprised how they went into Rider without China Cat. Don't think I ever heard that done before, but I imagine the GD used to do it. Again, I would have prefered the China/Rider, but this worked quite well. New Speedway>Wharf Rat is great. I get the impressing that that Phil and Bob are slowing letting JK share the center stage even sometimes lead the band. I also can't say enough about Jeff. He is awesome on keys! Overall, seems like a fine show, and bodes well for the future.

We got the China Cat the night before. I'm guessing this was meant as a continuation of that...

Sure, it's Phil and Bob's band (probably really Phil's band) and they can do whatever the hell they want. Doesn't mean it will sound good.

I just feel that if they went to the effort of getting JK to leave DSO to play in their band, they should use him to the best of his abilities. I don't thing anyone here can say with a straight fact that Phil is a better vocalist than JK on a song like Peggy-O.

Right on, Neutrino

My take: I went to both nights and I can't not say enough about how wonderful the shows were! I honestly do not see how anyone could be there and have anything negative to say. All these assumptions people are making about who's in charge and who's making the decisions, are just that, assumptions. I saw absolutely nothing to indicate they are keeping a lid on John. He was totally rocking! And he sang most of the Jerry tunes. (Let's face it, if he did every one, people (maybe not on the DSO board) would be bitching just as much. When Phil did sing, he sounded great. And Bobby's voice is sounding better than ever too. Some highlights for me night 1 were Althea, New Speedway of course, and the golden road (I was just so happy to NOT hear Jackie Greene singing this one) The Gloria was amazing too, Bobby really comes to life during this song. Night 2 I was wondering, what's left to play, and every song they played I'm like, oh yea! The Sugaree and Terrapin were both great. I swear there were points that you couldn't even hear the boys singing because of the crowd! And the place was super small. And the Help>Slip>Franklins was unbelieveable. For me one interesting thing I haven't heard anyone mention is they're not doing drums. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I love hearing them. But I just do not get all the negativity people are putting out there about this. Like we always say about DSO shows, fine, more room for me. But I think this is gonna be a big thing.

• Forum MVP
The Gloria was amazing too, Bobby really comes to life during this song.

With the rap talking about Headline News (I think he's a fan of that show) and Gloria reading his future from his hands telling him that he's "going to be alright!"

I've only listened to a few songs but there is some good stuff there.

And I'm saying that after blasting disc 3 of 2/24/74 on the way home (god is that a great sounding Serafin board of an incredible show--disc 3 is the D Star>Dew>Sugar>NFA>GDTR>NFA!!)--something happened to my disc 3 so I had to get in again and HAD to listen to it again.

encore Baby Blue... but that one is a little devastating because it's going to be the greatest thing in the world because it's a beautiful sounding board of an early Baby Blue, but he screw up on the lyric "forget about the dead u left, they will not come for you!" which is THE lryic in Garcia's Baby Blues...but kind of makes up for it with screaming the lyric "strike another match, go start anew!" 10 seconds later, which is a pretty incredible lyric too, when you think about it.

• Advisory Board
Also was surprised how they went into Rider without China Cat. Don't think I ever heard that done before, but I imagine the GD used to do it. .

One of my favorites of Rider without China...

08-05-89 Cal Expo Amphitheatre, Sacramento, Ca.

1: Saturday Night, Cold Rain, We Can Run, Stagger Lee, Memphis Blues, Row Jimmy, Let It Grow

2: Hey Pocky Way> Playin> I Know You Rider> Terrapin> Drumz> SOTM> Throwing Stones> NFA

E: U. S. Blues

1: Saturday Night, Cold Rain, We Can Run, Stagger Lee, Memphis Blues, Row Jimmy, Let It Grow

2: Hey Pocky Way> Playin> I Know You Rider> Terrapin> Drumz> SOTM> Throwing Stones> NFA

E: U. S. Blues

WOW--What a setlist that is!!!!!!!!!

Cold Rain, Row Jimmy, Pocky Way, Rider, Terripin, SOTM, and Throwing Stones!! Seven of my very favorite songs in one concert!!

I attending quite a few Cal Expo shows, but I suspect I missed that one. Seems like one of those shows that would be hard to forget!! Did DSO ever recreate this one?

• Advisory Board
WOW--What a setlist that is!!!!!!!!!

Cold Rain, Row Jimmy, Pocky Way, Rider, Terripin, SOTM, and Throwing Stones!! Seven of my very favorite songs in one concert!!

I attending quite a few Cal Expo shows, but I suspect I missed that one. Seems like one of those shows that would be hard to forget!! Did DSO ever recreate this one?

I saw DSO do this show a few years back at the Electric Factory... they did it justice as always...

• Forum MVP

One of your favorite? Make that one of the only. The only other one I'm familiar with off the top of my head is 11/10/85 Brendan Byrne. Mississippi->Rider to open the 2nd set.

• Forum MVP
One of your favorite? Make that one of the only. The only other one I'm familiar with off the top of my head is 11/10/85 Brendan Byrne. Mississippi->Rider to open the 2nd set.

That one finished a dangling China Cat from like May!

:blink:

Archived