Asbury Night Two...

VincentPuleo

Guest deadheadmike
Its only going to get better people, patience patience.

Lets be grateful....this music is going to live forever, and we are blessed to be able to experience it right now with 2 of the original members plus JK. When Bobby and Phil are gone, we are going to wish we had Furthur. We may as well soak it up while we can. And in the meantime, we have our beloved DSO who bring it consistently every night.

:icon14: Very well said Lisa !!!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
Ended up going to both shows and boy I'm glad I did.....

Last night blew me away....like Bix said, last night it didn't matter who was singing....the energy was so great, the music played the band and we got enough JK vocals to keep me happy. JK is never ever going to take all the Jerry vocals- its simple as that, so we may as well accept it as it is.

Its only going to get better people, patience patience.

Lets be grateful....this music is going to live forever, and we are blessed to be able to experience it right now with 2 of the original members plus JK. When Bobby and Phil are gone, we are going to wish we had Furthur. We may as well soak it up while we can. And in the meantime, we have our beloved DSO who bring it consistently every night.

that really sums it up Lisacat! you said it well.

can't wait to hear this show... Grate to see JK had TLEO and Candyman on the list - he nails them very well night after night!

A little bit furthur than you've gone before.

• Forum MVP

Great fuckin show all around, blew the doors off he hinges with that energy. Didn't overly-bother me when Bob sand Sugaree, and Phil on Franklin's... i could dig it. I'll write a review later tonight when i get back to school. As someone else said before, Bob's voice sounded real young, energetic, and was getting the vocals a little bit more. But all expand on all that later.

• Forum MVP
et tu Chuck?

used to be all about the music.

:)

:friends: I have to say that it was nice having my expectations met and in most relevant ways grately exceeded. The music played the band, the band made my feet move, and that seemed more than enough. The few qualms I feel are just qualms of my own...

:friends: I have to say that it was nice having my expectations met and in most relevant ways grately exceeded. The music played the band, the band made my feet move, and that seemed more than enough. The few qualms I feel are just qualms of my own...

Sometimes the qualms that we hear, are just qualms of our own...

Is that what you're saying Chuck?

et tu Chuck?

used to be all about the music.

:)

Well, of course the vocals are a huge part of the music, aren't they? I can fully understand how Phil and Bobby may regard singing some of the songs as a kind of tribute to their beloved friend Jerry. Nevertheless, I believe that majority of us here truly believe that John can do a better job on most of the Garcia material. Perhaps Phil and Bob have the attitude that how they feel it is more important than delivering what the audience would prefer. I can't argue with that--it is their call. However, I seems that one can argue that having John sing these songs in a voice similar to the Jerry's would actually be a more fitting tribute to the man. I suppose this is just something we will have to accept. I just hope this isn't a case of Phil and Bob feeling that it is somehow disrespectul to have John sing these songs. While John has certainly not been doing this as long, I would say he has paid his dues with 12 years of DSO. He has plenty of credibility to do this in a way that honors Jerry Garcia. John seems to really channel Jerry, but he is also a musician with his own style of playing.

Those that have derided him as "fake Jerry" seem to be coming around to understanding this. I would just like to see Furthur reach its potential, and I am of the opinion that having Phil and Bobby not singing on many of these songs would help that to become a reality. I don't want to see Furthur try to sound just like the Grateful Dead do, and I applaud they way they have reworked much of the material. However, some of the vocals really make he cringe, and I can't help to imagine how great it could have sounded.

• Forum MVP

Box Of Rain - I thought we would hear a stronger opener tonight but this was a first for me so I enjoyed it. Phil sounded all right on it. Nothing really special going on, pretty standard stuff, but all good nonetheless.

I Need A Miracle - I Could tell Bob was feeling this one right away. He nailed he vocals and the song sounded really spicy, lots of energy. The band was starting to really tighten up on this one. Had a real fast transition into

Wang Dang Doodle - not necessarily one of my favorite songs but it struck the mood. Same level as Box of Rain on this one. At this point i was feeling a latter 80's/early 90's set. These songs i felt had a nice flow into one another and I was digging the set thus far.

The Love Each Other - JK's first song of the night, and he killed it. Great solos by John and Jeff on this one. Things started really pickin up in the first set during this one. Had a really heavy groove (that the crowd was definitely digging) thanks to the Jay and Joe and Bob, Phil and Jeff we're playing the great complimentary rhythms for it.

Beat It On Down The Line - Kept the energy pumpin. Everyone was just dancin so crazy during this one. It was hot, hot, hot. B.I.O.D.T.L. is always a goodie tho!

Candyman - John strikes again, going 2 for 2 on the first Jerry songs of the night. Couldn't have been happier. Such a sweet song and the crowd was lovin John's vocals. Had some good harmonies during the chorus. JK was hitting those perfect guitar fills right at the end.

Estimated Prophet - This was funky, got my mud step on in during this. I dig the 7/8 rhythm in this one, always gets my feet movin. John's guitar was absolutely soaring during the solo. When john is in the forefront, everyone else is definitely playing off him. Saw some great chemistry coming together during it and had a nice exploratory jam at the end.

Cumberland Blues - HOLY SHIT! what a barn burner. One of my favorite dead tunes so i was having a real hoedown. I had the biggest smile plastered on my face the whole time. Great harmonies on Cumberland. Listen to the recording of it and you will understand when i say i have no words for how the band played this. Obviously John smoked everyone in the building but i'd also like give a lot of props the rest of the band, such great interplay... really jammed this one out.

First Set - Had a lot of fun with this set. Good flow between the songs, could dig the selections, and was happy with the vocal choices. Probably a good 9 out of 10 for the first set. I knew they we're gonna play Estimated and Cumberland tonight looking at the previous setlists but we still had Sailor>Saint, Terrapin, Help>Slip>Franklins to go too!

Lost Sailor - Jammed for a wee bit before this one and was hoping they'd kick the set off with Help on the way but i knew this was coming one way or another and I always dig it most to start off a set so it was all coo de la.

Saint of Circumstance - This was pure fire, really built up the energy and momentum needed for the second set. Had some nice jams and some more great interplay between the band, John was nailing those classic JG riffs in this one.

Mason's Children - A great oldie but goodie. It was cool to hear although probably the low point on the set. Some "classic" harmonies by the boys.

Sugaree - I admit i was a little taken back when Bob started to sing this but i expected it and he didn't do too bad of a job. The chorus really carried nicely and kept the mojo workin. John was makin up for no vocals on this one and the solos were out of this world. I remember lookin over at my brother and he had a huge smile on. This was just a sign of the things to come in the second set. Great Sugaree musically, look out for it on Archive.

Terrapin Station - John sang Lady With a Fan and Bobby sang Inspiration but this was also expected... but to be honest I was really, really hoping he'd just let John do his thin throughout. I was next to one guy in a red Dark Star Orchestra shirt (in front of JK, could've been from the forums) and the look on his face when Bob started singing was priceless, had a nice chuckle to myself. John did a great job on the vocals as always. The end jam was completely thunderous and mountainous. Just a HUGE sound! After doing some great jamming in Terrapin, which kept all the energy flowing, they went into this really funky and jazzy jam. John had some effect he was playing with, sort of like a synth trumpet. Anyways, started sounding like a Miles Davis tune. Joe and Jay were really swinging the beat in the jam, Phil was completely groovin on the bass. Jeff and John really play so well off each other.

Help On The Way>Slipknot - I was surprised it came this late in the night, but better late than never. Help was so ungodly funky and groovin. I was doing the James Brown mashed potatoes. There was one point in the jams that John was tearing it up sooo hard that Phil and Bob took a step back and we're just amazed by what he was doing and how much furthur they could go with his playing. Phil looked like he was having a blast the entire night. The band was sounding exceptionally tight on this one, everyone played such a crucial role on this tune.

Franklin's Tower - Phil started to approach the mic and you heard a couple people give some holllers encouraging him on. I think he's gotten real used to doing this tune and can carry it all right now, some of his phrasing can be off at times though. I really liked the arrangement though and thought it definitely had its moments. Some of the energy definitely went away during this one but the crowd was still into it (which definitely helped the band out) and it was a great way to end the set. Could have jammed it a bit longer but it was most definitely F-U-N!!!

U.S. Blues Encore - What a great way to go out... Bob should also hand this one over to JK. All in All a great show.

Second Set/Overall - Complete bangers all over the place... the kind of stuff you dream off. Had some really great climaxes and jams. I love seeing this band progress. They were points (mostly in the first set) where I definitely felt the GD vibe and thought the music of Jerry really came back to life... or i went in a time machine. I thought the show (and run) was a great success. I'm very excited for the winter tour and i think the sky is the limit. See you at Barton Hall, Radio City, and Trump Taj Mahal!

• Forum MVP

Awesome review, best part was "Cumberland Blues - HOLY SHIT!".. for the musical record Estimated is in 7/4.

neutrino, amen on what you said... John has been playing this music longer then anybody who has been involved with a post Grateful Dead band... besides maybe Rob B.

Archived