Asbury Night Two...

VincentPuleo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest deadheadmike
:friends: I have to say that it was nice having my expectations met and in most relevant ways grately exceeded. The music played the band, the band made my feet move, and that seemed more than enough. The few qualms I feel are just qualms of my own...

the mac/cheese and chorizo was pretty good too ;)

• Forum MVP
nice. it doesn't say anything on their website yet but I trust your sources....

http://www.livemusicblog.com/2009/11/03/st...o-tour-in-2010/

thats just one source, there's forums/blogs/articles/interviews..all forms of confirmation on the matter..red rocks rumor of course..possible road trip

It is all about the vocals.

mattson??

phil sang franklins again? when does sci go on tour again?

I agree with dstone, the vocals do matter. everytime phil or bobby steps up to sing a jerry tune it's a complete momentum killer. EVERYTIME.

I would have to agree that the vocals are so very important,if phil was meant to sing franklins for example...jerry would have let him sing it instead of jerry singing it!!!If it was in the best interest of the band and the music of the grateful dead jerry would have no problem with phil or bobby singing any of the songs that he sang..jerry had no ego problems like weir and lesh...they are so affraid to let jk sing and cut loose because they might have to live in jk's shadow like they had to live in jerrys...as far as I'm concerned weir and lesh only care about their own interest and not the rest of the band!!! This is most likely alittle harsh for alot of you but its just the way I see it.....

• Forum MVP

ignatz, I agree with you on the musical aspects of John singing all the Garcia songs and how if Phil was meant to sing Franklins he would have in the Grateful Dead, but this is beyond my understand for I still believe emotion is a factor. But to say Phil and Bobby only care about themselves is a little harsh.

now that the few pre NYE shows are over I wish John would give us an enlightening post on his experiences...

• Forum MVP
I was there... and after a sick, frenzied Help/Slip and the crowd perched upon hysteria....Phil stepped to the mic to sing Franklin's.... and it was like the air got let out of the balloon in the venue.I mean it is what it is... and I am thankful for what we have.It will evolve.

BTW I thought Saturday nights show was far superior to Sunday's.

With that said... if FURTHUR was at the Convention Center and DSO was at the Stone Pony.....I would have been at the Pony.Call me crazy.

now that the few pre NYE shows are over I wish John would give us an enlightening post on his experiences...

I'd also love to hear how John is feeling about his experience so far with Furthur. He did post previously a few times about Furthur when this first started. However, I'm not sure the DSO board is an appropriate forum for this anymore. I'm not an insider here so I don't know about the internal dynamics of his departure. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some tension, and it would therefore be potentially ackward for John to post here about his new career. He has moved on. Maybe I'm completely off base on this, but that would be my guess. Had this been a temporary "leave of absence", it would be another story.

• Forum MVP
I'd also love to hear how John is feeling about his experience so far with Furthur. He did post previously a few times about Furthur when this first started. However, I'm not sure the DSO board is an appropriate forum for this anymore. I'm not an insider here so I don't know about the internal dynamics of his departure. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some tension, and it would therefore be potentially ackward for John to post here about his new career. He has moved on. Maybe I'm completely off base on this, but that would be my guess. Had this been a temporary "leave of absence", it would be another story.

he hasn't really moved into a new career. Pretty much doing the same thang except with the people who created this music! Which is a beautiful thing. There definitely had to be some different emotions as there in any big change with anything. John is there brother and I couldn't have imagined the rest of the guys and Lisa being nothing more than supportive for John to play with the people who have inspired and influenced all of them so deeply.

I would have to agree that the vocals are so very important,if phil was meant to sing franklins for example...jerry would have let him sing it instead of jerry singing it!!!If it was in the best interest of the band and the music of the grateful dead jerry would have no problem with phil or bobby singing any of the songs that he sang..jerry had no ego problems like weir and lesh...they are so affraid to let jk sing and cut loose because they might have to live in jk's shadow like they had to live in jerrys...as far as I'm concerned weir and lesh only care about their own interest and not the rest of the band!!! This is most likely alittle harsh for alot of you but its just the way I see it.....
Fear is a powerful thing. I agree with what you are saying. I have to say in my sick mind the music that the band is playing is very powerful and funkie just when you think it's going to go off the hook it crashes hard. FOR people that HAVE NOT seen the GRATEFUL DEAD IN THE 70'80,90, this is great and the funny thing about is it can be if the fear or EGO would just go away.JK is the man and i feel JERRY is a happy man seeing JK rock the songs that PHIL and BOBBY let him sing. On the other hand when PHIL AND BOBBY sing JERRY tunes JERRY is saying to himself nothing left to do but SMILE,SMILE,SMILE.

Fear is a powerful thing. I agree with what you are saying. I have to say in my sick mind the music that the band is playing is very powerful and funkie just when you think it's going to go off the hook it crashes hard. FOR people that HAVE NOT seen the GRATEFUL DEAD IN THE 70'80,90, this is great and the funny thing about is it can be if the fear or EGO would just go away.JK is the man and i feel JERRY is a happy man seeing JK rock the songs that PHIL and BOBBY let him sing. On the other hand when PHIL AND BOBBY sing JERRY tunes JERRY is saying to himself nothing left to do but SMILE,SMILE,SMILE.

It's all good...In contrast to the REALLY important things in life...this is but a walk in the morning dew.. a slip in the knot...a bell ringing for our morning prayer... a beautiful constant in a world that is constantly changing...at least for me....

rolling away the dew of a brutal year...SJ

• Forum MVP
I wouldn't surprised if things changed with vocals...

I think you are right about this Vince cause Phil sang the Eyes on this last run or so I'm told and John sang the first verse in Oakland, and then alternated with Weir every line after that first verse.

I think Phil sang the Birdsong on this run too, which is different from Oakland when Bob and John shared it, alternating every line again, if I remember correctly.

Just one more thing to remember at a show other than the songs!

It will be good for when we get old though...

Remember folks...there is still no writing this down at the show. The only thing that's allowed if you must write it down in the show is to wait till they play the set and then write it down during setbreak--that way, you don't look like you're taking notes after every song and in the dark to boot.

• Forum MVP

Yes, this makes it interesting... although I feel they heard John sing Althea they knew it had to stay that, and China Cat Sunflower. The same thing will hopefully happen with Wharf Rat.

Also John sang a verse on New Speedway Boogie and in Asbury Bob sang the whole thing... speaking of that Bob sang it really, really well. After the amazing Althea he may have made an effort to get really inside it. The first like sounds like a young Bobby.

Guest deadheadmike
With that said... if FURTHUR was at the Convention Center and DSO was at the Stone Pony.....I would have been at the Pony.Call me crazy.

+ me too !!!

• Forum MVP
Remember folks...

some come to laugh the past away

some come to write it down

you got a lotta rules bro

;)

speaking of writing it down and rules...

:D

Box Of Rain

I Need A Miracle

Wang Dang Doodle>

They Love Each Other (JK)

Beat It On Down The Line 13 beats

Candyman (JK)

Estimated Prophet>

Cumberland Blues (JK&BW&PL)

Lost Sailor>

Saint

Mason's Children

Sugaree (BW)

Lady With A Fan> (JK)

Terrapin Station (BW)

Help> (JK)

Slip>

Franklins (PL)

US Blues (BW)

Greg,

Had a grate time dancin in the front with you/Kimberly/Ed etc...

If I ever need a defense in a hockey game-your my man ,certainally kept the front of the net clear & the assholes movin on down the line Sun. night in Asbury!

See 'ya @ next DSO show,

Rob

• Forum MVP
Remember folks...there is still no writing this down at the show. The only thing that's allowed if you must write it down in the show is to wait till they play the set and then write it down during setbreak--that way, you don't look like you're taking notes after every song and in the dark to boot.

Yeah, i don't care for that rule, hahahaha. That's way too uptight for me. Some guys were going over the setlist during the break and i was gonna help them out and they were said, "NOOO, we don't want to cheat." I mean shit, it's not a test. Just take it down for memory and then concentrate on the playing so you can be a more appreciative or critical listener.

• Forum MVP
God does.

Three shall be the number of the ounting and the number of the counting shall be three. Thou shalt not count four. Nor shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedest to three. Five is right out.

:cheers:

Archived