Asbury Night Two...

VincentPuleo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest deadheadmike
It's all good...In contrast to the REALLY important things in life...this is but a walk in the morning dew.. a slip in the knot...a bell ringing for our morning prayer... a beautiful constant in a world that is constantly changing...at least for me....

rolling away the dew of a brutal year...SJ

The importance of keeping things in perspective rings loud in your post Jon ... 2009 has been a true test of our physical , mental and emotional fortitude ... Hoping and praying for a better year for us and all my Brother ...

The importance of keeping things in perspective rings loud in your post Jon ... 2009 has been a true test of our physical , mental and emotional fortitude ... Hoping and praying for a better year for us and all my Brother ...

Have a beautiful holiday season...My best to you and your family!

ps...Listening to that Golden Road....JK completely ripped that both vocally and instrumentally...serious energy on that one!..Looking forward to the SF two-pack...

• Forum MVP

The energy of the weekend was incredible. This band really knows how to jam. Anyone that calls the dark star noodling simply doesn't want to enjoy this band. I still cringe when phil or bobby sing jerry's vocals from time to time, but all in all, this band can bring it and its only 9 shows in. If you need the traditional format, please go see Dark Star Orchestra. I know I will be attending many DSO shows to get the traditional format and to share in the magical musical experience that is the Dark Star Orchestra.

but come on...

I really don't hear many people that were there complaining. Coincidence? I think not. This band has got some serious chops and JK is taking Phil and Bobby in new directions. Sure Phil and in some lesser degree, Bobby are in charge of this band, but by the end of the weekend it has become apparent to me who's playing lead. This band still has tremendous untapped potential and already sounds phenomenal. Just talk to the people who were there and there going to let JK sing ballads, Ship of Fools and Wharf Rat.

I love the Dark Star Orchestra regardless of whose playing lead - the rest of the boys can seriously bring it and can definitely find someone to bring it with them - like Jeff. I also love JK and plan to continue to support him. Both band will have my continued support and we don't need to view a positive for Furthur as a negative to Dark Star Orchestra. JK's talents and ability to shine with Phil and Bobby are not only a testament to his own guitar playing, but to the shared learning through live music experienced while playing with the Dark Star Orchestra. Any member of DSO could bring the heat playing with Phil and Bobby. They are all amazing at playing the music we all love. So is JK and with JK, Phil and Bobby are now playing quality music again. Going Furthur is going to a positive experience for the GD community as whole.

Peace and love to all. See you guys down the line whether your going Furthur or at the DSO show.

• Forum MVP
The energy of the weekend was incredible. This band really knows how to jam. Anyone that calls the dark star noodling simply doesn't want to enjoy this band. I still cringe when phil or bobby sing jerry's vocals from time to time, but all in all, this band can bring it and its only 9 shows in. If you need the traditional format, please go see Dark Star Orchestra. I know I will be attending many DSO shows to get the traditional format and to share in the magical musical experience that is the Dark Star Orchestra.

but come on...

I really don't hear many people that were there complaining. Coincidence? I think not. This band has got some serious chops and JK is taking Phil and Bobby in new directions. Sure Phil and in some lesser degree, Bobby are in charge of this band, but by the end of the weekend it has become apparent to me who's playing lead. This band still has tremendous untapped potential and already sounds phenomenal. Just talk to the people who were there and there going to let JK sing ballads, Ship of Fools and Wharf Rat.

I love the Dark Star Orchestra regardless of whose playing lead - the rest of the boys can seriously bring it and can definitely find some to bring it with him - like Jeff. I also love JK and plan to continue to support him. Both band will have my continued support and we don't need to view a positive for Furthur as a negative to Dark Star Orchestra. JK's talents and ability to shine with Phil and Bobby are not only a testament to his own guitar playing, but to the shared learning through live music experienced while playing with the Dark Star Orchestra. Any member of DSO could bring the heat playing with Phil and Bobby. They are all amazing at playing the music we all love. So is JK and with JK, Phil and Bobby are now playing quality music again. Going Furthur is going to a positive experience for the GD community as whole.

Peace and love to all. See you guys down the line whether your going Furthur or at the DSO show.

Well spoken......the more I listen to the Furthur shows the more I am digging it. I look forward to catching them live in Feb and also the "new" DSO on the New Years run.

Guest crazy digits

but come on...

I love the Dark Star Orchestra regardless of whose playing lead - the rest of the boys can seriously bring it and can definitely find someone to bring it with them - like Jeff. I also love JK and plan to continue to support him. Both band will have my continued support and we don't need to view a positive for Furthur as a negative to Dark Star Orchestra. JK's talents and ability to shine with Phil and Bobby are not only a testament to his own guitar playing, but to the shared learning through live music experienced while playing with the Dark Star Orchestra. Any member of DSO could bring the heat playing with Phil and Bobby. They are all amazing at playing the music we all love. So is JK and with JK, Phil and Bobby are now playing quality music again. Going Furthur is going to a positive experience for the GD community as whole.

you nailed it rick........

I was at both shows and the energy was amazing. I would rate both shows as very good, with moments of excellence. The vibe coming off of several thousand Dead Heads in a concrete vault is hard to describe. It comes through on the recordings available on archive. Check them out if you are on the fence about seeing Furthur. I think these two Asbury shows will push you over the edge.

In a nut shell, this band can really bring it. We all know what Bob, Phil and John are capable of. I think most of us are very familiar with their bodies of work. However, two grossly under appreciated components of this band are the drums and keys. The percussion section is so fun to watch/hear. Both Joe and Jay bang it out like you would not believe. Joe's whole body just writhes with energy and Jay is all over the place jumping around half of the time. I don't know how they do it. And as far as keys goes Jeff is right up there with the best out there. I love Barraco and what he does with DSO. And Jeff is the perfect choice for Furthur. Check out his piano solo on Althea. Amazing. I just want to give props to these guys because they are definitely overlooked. When you see them live you know they are a force to be reckoned with.

I'm over the issue of Bob and Phil singing. It's basically a crap shoot with both of them. You just have to accept it because it ain't gonna change. Phil's vocals on Peggy-O were fantastic, but he butchered Franklin's Tower. Really dragged the H>S>F trifecta down to the ground. Whatya gonna do? To be quite honest I thought that Bob sang really well on most songs. I didn't even take much notice of the choppiness he sometimes employs vocally.

My only issue with Furthur at this point is the jamming. There is no doubt that these guys can freestyle with the best of them, but there comes a time when the jam must end. After seeing them live it is very evident that Bob/Phil make the call on when to bring the song back down, but IMO they should leave that in John's hands. One of John's best qualities, along with all of DSO, is that they do the songs like the original GD did. Jerry always seemed to take the jams into outer space, but not out of the galaxy. A friend of mine always puts it like this: Jerry never went outside of the song. Even in the spaciest of jams you can pinpoint the song it belongs to. That's what Warren Haynes just can't do with these songs. But unlike Warren and many others who've tried to do it, John K. does this with the utmost ease, when give the opportunity to do so. Truly a student of the music. Unfortunately, it becomes very apparent when you see them live that John has clearly taken the solo/jam out to the limits he feels comfortable with (and they can be FAR OUT), but Bob will circle his finger in the air for the band to go around one more time. Enough already. Many times during the show, after performing a skin-blistering solo, I could clearly see John looking at Bob for reprieve, but Bob showed no sign of pulling out and heading back to the song. I'm sure this will clear up over time. That's just part of this type of music. Like I've said before give this band time to become intimately familiar with each other and they will be more of a powerhouse than they already are. I'm looking forward to catching them in February in NYC.

• Forum MVP

I really like the cat and mouse game Phil and JK do chasing each other around and through the given song in each jam. I certainly have no problem with Phil and Bobby (Furthur) pushing JK to jam harder and furthur. JK is the man for this job because of his ability to play psychedelic spacey music in the same vein as JG, but in order to be JK of 20009-2010, I think he has to be willing to play outside of the box a little bit and if that means giving new jams and some slightly unknown music to the listeners ears so be it. I never forgot what song was being play and the few jams that made me forget for a minute which song were truly transcendental. If I think about it, sometimes listening to some ripping recordings of the GD JG takes jams into realms I have never heard the song go before and he truly makes me forgot what song is being played.

Just my two cents.

I agree with you rickE. I was pleased and blown away by much of what they did. They have certainly moved into uncharted waters with some of the music/jams. That's the fun of it all. However, my issue lies in the fact that there were times where the jam went to a good place, a space where John clearly put it all out there, but then it crumbled as it was pushed beyond the breaking point. I'm all for experimentation. Hell isn't that why we like this music to begin with? But there is a threshold that need not be crossed. Everything isn't just exactly perfect, like Bob used to say. But as I said before this will all fall into place in time.

And just to be clear there are times when I listen to old GD stuff that makes me forget where and who I am. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived