12/30/09 Rams Head

DaysBetween

After just 3 Dead shows during the summer of 95 I found these guys.. the Dark Star Orchestra.. and latched on (First DSO: 6/23/99). A lot has changed in the past decade, and I don't do well with change. I abhor it. I had to see Maraat leave, but I only caught 3 shows with him and they weren't "my" band yet as I, and my daughters, have come to call them. The "daddy's band" thing makes me smile everytime. No, they weren't "my" band until the NYE '99 run in Colorado, where I realized I would see these guys every chance that I got for as long as it lasted.

So, as things have changed, knowing that I was connected to DSO and the people at these shows so deeply, I have had to overcome some things. It's really is an extended family. Hazdra was the first. Next, the Bobby Rotisserie League. But that was a crazy carousel, and didn't bother me since it was "expected" and anyway once Eaton settled in it was smooth sailing. Obviously Scott is THE change that is and will always be the hardest. {MISS YA BUDDY}. Grumpy ol' Cam (lol), Mr. Godzilla fanatic himself, has a huge place in my heart as well.

Each time a new being was thrust into the mix, it changed. Oh yes it changed, but each time I soon realized that Kevin and Rob #3 more than held their own. And over the years I've been provided a multitude of moments that defy words.

And then this Furthur thing. I hear rumors about it being permanent. I say nay, no way. Then it DOES happen. John is leaving his post. I wondered and even doubted if I would still be so connected. I need the music to take me as far OUT and as far INWARD as possible, and pondered if I'd ever go on such a journey again.

Well, I rode with JK 121 times, and I'm proud to say that Jeff was driving that train tonight for number 122! WOW! If anyone out there was wondering, like I was, what it would be like with Jeff, just do as I did: just keep on comin'. I had to skip out on the 2nd set - which I DON'T do - due to a knee, but the first set of

Jack Straw

Half Step >

El Paso

B.E.Women

Minglewood

Loser

Passenger

FOTD

Me & My Uncle

Tenn Jed >

Music

was NUTS! Absolutely insane. Half Step really showed what Jeff can do as the jam took off. He was riffing something fierce that Eaton caught wind of and mimicked right up to the Grande-ee-O. Jeff's vocal isn't quite as tender as John's (who's is) but I really dig his voice, and in fact I think it will KILL on the late 80's gigs. Anywho, Jeff passes my test with flying colors, and I have some pretty high standards, hehheh. :)

A little lyrical flub makes ANY El Paso better. This one was no exception (sorry E., but it's true!). Brown-Eyed and Minglewood were great. Passenger! Music! Just a perfect first set, even if you look at the list and think it's average, upon listening I think you'll change your mind. Speaking of which, did those tapers get this on the archive yet? I'd better go check...

Had a great time, albeit a short one. Fordham makes a good pale ale. Nice to meet Tim and Helen: I hope and think your first DSO show was a winner. Can not wait for tomorrow night (2010 holy cow!). Can not wait for my next dose of Jeff and DSO. Oh I'll catch Furthur when I can, but DSO is still gonna be the place to be.. at the Newport, at the Hard Rock, at the LEDGES. Rams Head is a swell place too! :dsorocks::icon14::icon14::icon14::icon14::icon14:

Nice......looks like 10-14-77 Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston, TX

Jack Straw

1/2 step>

el paso

b.e. women

minglewood

loser

passenger

FOTD

me and my uncle

tenn. jed

music

bertha>

good lovin'

candyman

playin>

drums>

wheel>

wharf rat>

around and around

Encore:

Brokedown>

Playin'

Hope everyone has a blast tonight!! Be safe!!

• Forum MVP
After just 3 Dead shows during the summer of 95 I found these guys.. the Dark Star Orchestra.. and latched on (First DSO: 6/23/99). A lot has changed in the past decade, and I don't do well with change. I abhor it. I had to see Maraat leave, but I only caught 3 shows with him and they weren't "my" band yet as I, and my daughters, have come to call them. The "daddy's band" thing makes me smile everytime. No, they weren't "my" band until the NYE '99 run in Colorado, where I realized I would see these guys every chance that I got for as long as it lasted.

So, as things have changed, knowing that I was connected to DSO and the people at these shows so deeply, I have had to overcome some things. It's really is an extended family. Hazdra was the first. Next, the Bobby Rotisserie League. But that was a crazy carousel, and didn't bother me since it was "expected" and anyway once Eaton settled in it was smooth sailing. Obviously Scott is THE change that is and will always be the hardest. {MISS YA BUDDY}. Grumpy ol' Cam (lol), Mr. Godzilla fanatic himself, has a huge place in my heart as well.

Each time a new being was thrust into the mix, it changed. Oh yes it changed, but each time I soon realized that Kevin and Rob #3 more than held their own. And over the years I've been provided a multitude of moments that defy words.

And then this Furthur thing. I hear rumors about it being permanent. I say nay, no way. Then it DOES happen. John is leaving his post. I wondered and even doubted if I would still be so connected. I need the music to take me as far OUT and as far INWARD as possible, and pondered if I'd ever go on such a journey again.

Well, I rode with JK 121 times, and I'm proud to say that Jeff was driving that train tonight for number 122! WOW! If anyone out there was wondering, like I was, what it would be like with Jeff, just do as I did: just keep on comin'. I had to skip out on the 2nd set - which I DON'T do - due to a knee, but the first set of

Jack Straw

Half Step >

El Paso

B.E.Women

Minglewood

Loser

Passenger

FOTD

Me & My Uncle

Tenn Jed >

Music

was NUTS! Absolutely insane. Half Step really showed what Jeff can do as the jam took off. He was riffing something fierce that Eaton caught wind of and mimicked right up to the Grande-ee-O. Jeff's vocal isn't quite as tender as John's (who's is) but I really dig his voice, and in fact I think it will KILL on the late 80's gigs. Anywho, Jeff passes my test with flying colors, and I have some pretty high standards, hehheh. :)

A little lyrical flub makes ANY El Paso better. This one was no exception (sorry E., but it's true!). Brown-Eyed and Minglewood were great. Passenger! Music! Just a perfect first set, even if you look at the list and think it's average, upon listening I think you'll change your mind. Speaking of which, did those tapers get this on the archive yet? I'd better go check...

Had a great time, albeit a short one. Fordham makes a good pale ale. Nice to meet Tim and Helen: I hope and think your first DSO show was a winner. Can not wait for tomorrow night (2010 holy cow!). Can not wait for my next dose of Jeff and DSO. Oh I'll catch Furthur when I can, but DSO is still gonna be the place to be.. at the Newport, at the Hard Rock, at the LEDGES. Rams Head is a swell place too! :dsorocks::icon14::icon14::icon14::icon14::icon14:

Grreat post ,good read ,fun night .JAM MASTER JEFF SMoKEDIT LAST NIGHT !!!!fun times were had by all ,Let us not forget Donna's band coming out & doing a great set for us to all enjoy .That Bee gees song was off the hook!!! GOLDEN ROAD FILLER with dso , tonight will be a total meltdown .Lisa's singing on A&A was really freakin amazing . Nice jamming last night .Wharf rat alone was worth the price of admission.

This band is OFF THE HOOK!

I have NEVER.......

A whole new different level now with Jeff. I think the filler sums it up for me.

I simply can't WAIT for tonight!

We're packing our bags now and will be on our way!

Thank you DSO for a night beyond description.

Great family....outstanding time!! :grouphug:

:happybday::happybday: HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!!!!! :happybday::happybday:

I really think you should continue pondering singing Blue Moon tonight!

Love,

Kira

Sometimes life just kind of sweepes you up and before you know it its 5 years later. After relocating back to civilization after years and hearing about all the changes with DSO, i thought i might as well see them one last time for ol' times sake in DC, one of jk's last shows. Ran into familiar faces (thanks for the ticket Ellen!) and had a great time. At the last minute, decided to drive up to Bmore to see what JM was all about. WOW. I'm convinced after just one show that DSO will go places it's never been. I'm excited for this band and am looking forward to taking my little one to a show one day, perhaps GratefulFest. (Will this happen this year?)

Haven't posted in ages...this feels good! Thanks DSO!

Dusty

Guest bleakdecember

Wednesday December 30th was my "introduction" to the Dark Star Orchestra. I'm an old Head......but I never made the jump to Phish, or really to anything else after Jerry died.......I saw 'The Dead' once or twice....but honestly, for me anyway, it was just never the same and sometimes a pale reflection is more sad than seeing none at all.........so, to make a ridiculously long sentance short, being a fan of the Rams Head venue in Baltimore already, when I heard the DSO was playing around New Years........I decided to check them out.

I'd heard of them of course.........listened to some of the soundbites on this websight in preparation for the gig, and I have to say that judging by those snippets, the band sounded really good and I was looking forward to the evening.....though deep in the back of my mind, I had that sneaking suspicion that "you can't go home again".

Then, on reading here and elsewhere, I was a little concerned that I would be seeing DSO just as they transitioned into a new lead guitarist...God only knew what chaos that might bring into the mix.....so really, to be perfectly honest, I didnt know exactly what to expect. I did manage to convince my girlfriend to go with me, thus neatly taking care of any designated driver issues and simultaneously enabling her to check out some form of 'the Grateful Dead Concert Experience'....even though it's really not her cup of tea.

I saw the Grateful Dead 47 times between 86 and 95........largely 86 to 93 actually........so I snuck in just before all the Touch Of Gray madness took hold..........and even though 47 shows is practically nothing on DeadHead levels..........to most people the number is mind boggling. I collected tapes, travelled the East coast........did the whole deal......transitioned to the Dicks Picks CD's and generally, my knowledge of the Dead would be considered more than satisfactory by even the most hardcore 1969 Easy Wind fanatic.........and the older I get, now and then, like many of us, I get a little wistful when I think back to those days and all the quality music I had the honor to see the boys perform........but still, I had that nagging concern about "you cant go home again".

Let me just say that a definative answer was delivered by the DSO on a freezing night in Baltimore.........yes Virginia......you CAN go home again!!!

This band simply smoked!!!!. A phenomenal first set.......(as it turns out from one our collective favorite years too). All I can say is that never having seen the previous lead guitarist........those of you concerned about a drop in quality with Jeff Mattson need not be. That dude ripped songs apart.........blazing on Half Step and Music in particular......but the whole set was drop-dead impressive.

More than impressive actually.........I think the word I may be looking for is 'sublime'.

Fear not, people. You are in good hands. I was floored and I like to think I am not easily impressed. Regretably, I had to leave before the second set as my GF was feeling poorly and we had a road trip scheduled for the next day............but I'm here to tell you that this band is in damn fine form and nobody has to worry.

I'd like to thank the Band. You guys blew my mind and next time you get back into Maryland, you will see me there with you.

I bit hook, line and sinker, so thanks very much for journey back to '77........it was greatly appreciated and impressively done.

See you next time and keep up the great work!!

Rick

:blink::icon14:

:dsorocks:

Very nice review-It's always sweet to hear a Deadheads first run in with DSO !

Sorry to hear you never saw them with JK,after 12 years together-Damn were they tight/amazing/insert any adjective you like/etc...!

I'm also sorry 2 hear you missed the 2nd electric set, as they showed how tight they currently are with Jeff on Lead Guitar!

I must admit it's even sweeter to bring the guy/gal to thier 1st show & listen to thier reviews on the ride home,but yours made me smile,non the less!

I'm sure we were @ alot of the same GD shows,as I focused on the East Coast shows as well!Raising a family young can be limiting, but I wouldn't trade it for anything today!

Hope to run into you on the road,

Rob

• Forum MVP
Very nice review-It's always sweet to hear a Deadheads first run in with DSO !

yer kiddin right?

Sorry to hear you never saw them with JK

still kiddin right?

I'm also sorry 2 hear you missed the 2nd electric set, as they showed how tight they currently are with Jeff on Lead Guitar!

I actually am listening on the archive. I stayed home for NYE. :) I am definitely JV.

I'm sure we were @ alot of the same GD shows,as I focused on the East Coast shows as well!

Maybe you are confusing me with another dave? I saw mostly midwest shows from 89-95. Late to the bus. Late to the DSO bus as well, spring 2002 San Diego.

Hope to run into you on the road.

Now that I understand!! :D Me 3. You almost have. You helped my buddy get a ticket for Asbury. (But again I was JV)

;)

• Forum MVP

Although Rob has now gotten me all nostalgic for my first DSO show and the fun story of it so scroll down now!! ...or reread it if you dare...

I heard about DSO from people here in chicagolandia pretty much right from when they started. "Come down to Martyr's you gotta hear these guys!" Seemed everybody was telling me about them, which frankly turned me off. I was sure they must be real good but why undertake to do what they were doing? I thought it was fun for them fine but I just didn't think it was possible to do it well enough to feel, much less to be, authentic.

Later I got broadband and listened to a few tracks and thought it sounded pretty darn good. I noticed on the tour schedule I was due to be in Orange county at company hq the same week DSO swung through socal. Oddly enough I couldn't catch the show right in Santa Ana where I was at, but I had the following night free, which was 4th and B in San Diego. I decided to head down there. I recruited three other guys I worked with, a 50-something jazz fan, a young south african prog rock fan, and a canadian parrothead. We crammed into a rented mustang convertible and went to the show.

DSO made me so proud to have brought my friends with me that I was immediately their friend and supporter. They put on a great show that felt, that was authentic right from the opening Bertha through the Sing Me filler it was professional and beautiful and satisfying and fun fun fun. I lucked into a huge show ...

1: Bertha, Me & My Uncle, Deal, B. T. Wind, You Win Again, Big River, Bird Song, Mexicali, Stella Blue, Jack Straw, Big RxR Blues, Playin

2: Morning Dew, Greatest, He's Gone, El Paso, Don't Ease, Dark Star> Brokedown, Promised, Ramble On, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA

Encore: Saturday Night

Filler: Sing Me Back Home*

It was a head-scratcher for me with my setlist sensibilities from 89-95. Stella in the first? Ramble On late in the second? Dew as a set opener? Deadbase answers all but it was more fun to be surprised. But y'know wow what a song selection this was!! ...and expertly performed. I felt very much at home, and all three of my buddies all with no GD shows ever, they all had a great time and raved about the quality of the music, which speaks both to how great the songs are and how well they were presented. I was so proud of DSO I ran up to Cameron and gushed "thanks for doing this". I miss Cameron.

:D good thing you scrolled past this, eh?

:) Play Louie!!

Maybe you are confusing me with another dave? I saw mostly midwest shows from 89-95. Late to the bus. Late to the DSO bus as well, spring 2002 San Diego.

Now that I understand!! :D Me 3. You almost have. You helped my buddy get a ticket for Asbury. (But again I was JV)

;)

Dave,

Sorry for any confusion-I was replying to the original poster(didn't want to copy his whole post ,too lazy to delete lot's of it & attach)

He mentioned lots of east coast shows!

Asbury hightlight,along with the show was having dinner with Scott & family before the Furthur show-You should have come along for the ride!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

oh you were replying to bleakdecember :blush: I see now. the bit you quoted though was piosted by me not by bleak.

anyway yeah too bad I couldn't make any december furthur shows. see them when they pass through my town I will. :) cheers and safe travels.

Archived