Spanish jam >

Alligator >

Blues for Allah "under eternity part" >

St. Stephen >

Viola Lee (with some feedback)

Encores (with both ladies)

I'll Be With Thee >

Tangled Up In Blue

There ya go. I know I missed some of the Donna tunes, but I think I got a majority. A lot of Garcia tunes in there, 6 in a row in fact from Midnight Moonlight thru Franklin's. Many many highlights, the best being , in this writers opinion, Cold Jordan which I'd not seen live before, the HelpSlipFrank, Next Time, Midnight Hour, the Under Eternity <- not sure how to label that one as I'm not up to snuff on my Blues for Allah, and the Viola Lee which knocked out all my senses for a few moments following the big CRASH near the end it was so good. Oh and both encores. When the lovely ladies were both on stage again for the encore, I thought to myself, perfect time for an "I'll Be With Thee" ... and they did it!!! Welcome Jeff! Thanks everyone. Good to meet ya Lou; thanks for the advice & see ya at Furthur I hope. I need sleep. Goodnight!

Guest Lisacat

I'm with Aaron on the loss of words right now, but I'll do my best because I did want to write a little review.

The band was absolutely on fire every night of the run.  The 4 hour 40 min show on the first night set the pace.  I knew I'd return sore and right now I feel almost paralyzed.  Some of the best dancing done in a while.

The energy has been really strong and it is great to see the band having so much fun. Last night was hands down the best DSO NYE show I've seen and definitely in the top 5 or 10 of the shows I've been to. The Cold Jordan was SUCH a treat. I had always hoped to hear that at a show. Love those 1970s acoustic sets with Cold Jordan, especially when it is paired with Swing Low Sweet Chariot.

As someone else mentioned after the show, the 3rd set was like a psychadelic shitstorm. That very well could have been the best sets I've ever seen DSO do. And to top it off, I got to hear the song I had been hoping for all week....I'll Be With Thee.

Thank you, DSO for getting my new year off to a great start. Have a great time on the boat.

Happy New Year!

Lisa

• Forum MVP
I'm with Aaron on the loss of words right now, but I'll do my best because I did want to write a little review.

The band was absolutely on fire every night of the run.  The 4 hour 40 min show on the first night set the pace.  I knew I'd return sore and right now I feel almost paralyzed.  Some of the best dancing done in a while.

The energy has been really strong and it is great to see the band having so much fun. Last night was hands down the best DSO NYE show I've seen and definitely in the top 5 or 10 of the shows I've been to. The Cold Jordan was SUCH a treat. I had always hoped to hear that at a show. Love those 1970s acoustic sets with Cold Jordan, especially when it is paired with Swing Low Sweet Chariot.

As someone else mentioned after the show, the 3rd set was like a psychadelic shitstorm. That very well could have been the best sets I've ever seen DSO do. And to top it off, I got to hear the song I had been hoping for all week....I'll Be With Thee.

Thank you, DSO for getting my new year off to a great start. Have a great time on the boat.

Happy New Year!

Lisa

How was mountains???

• Forum MVP

These reviews sound tremendous.

Nice going DSO!

I really hope I get a chance to catch Jeff when the GAMH comes up next, even though I've been hearing it might be someone else by then in that nasty rumor circle, but I don't pay a lot of attention to rumors, or at least I make a slight effort not to.

Speaking of rumors--I've also been hearing that it may not be the GAMH this time? I hope this ain't so--it just wouldn't seem right to have a spring in SF and not have you guys at THAT place.

• Forum MVP

I'm not uselly the one writing the reviews in our household,my wife Kris does it but she's up stairs still trying to come down from this past week of extreme emotion musically charged week.I did write a mini on the first show in Norfolk which I gotta say that that era Jeff freakin nails like no one can!!!! I just love the long jams ,the build up into the crazyness and all that good stuff .

The second night was my least favorite .We got to the venue ,got to our favorite spot (love the rail ,as Rick E puts it I'm a rail rat)There was heat blowing out from under the stage.It was like a 100 degrees in there so we went up in the back which is where I loose my connection to whats going on ,I love to see the interreaction during the music with all the band members .There were some high lights in the show but I just felt to distant so I said to Kris next 2 nights we're up front which brings us to the opening jack straw ,played masterfully .even the el paso smoked in that show .the jam in half step before theystarted to sing across the rio grande e o was extra longer then they used to play it .It seems like every thing is being played longer then it used to be with Jeff..The first set ended with a firery music with augest west in the middle of about 8 of us doing this tribal shit stomping frency crazy dance around him . Hope he's o.k. The wharf Rat was killer ,so was the round & round .I'm skipping around here but in the first set they started to do firefly ,Herdy says why do you call it that .When the song came out it just seemed easier at the time to write fire fly on cassette boxes instead of passenger so it just always stuck.Oh a golden road filler ,does more need to be said ??

On to the final frontier .It started out with Dave & Denise getting married before the Bridge started playing .I will be for ever grateful for u 2 asking me & Kris to be your witnesses .Rob Barraco went out of his way to get Cotter to put on Shining Star for them ,what a gentleman.Being this was my 4 th show in a row I needed a little something to keep me going like 2 red bulls & when the wooden music started I'm dancing along wondering if the music would ever catch up to my head ,Well I gotta say it did . When they started to play mountains all of a sudden the place got real real quite .I was picking up my tixs earlier in the day & we heard them sound check it so we knew it was coming . Ripple sweetness ended the first set . I got up to us the bathroom at 2 in the morning last night & I couldn't get the slipknot out of my head ,I think it will be there for the rest of my life .Midnight hour countdown with Rob & Lisa rap ,I think Nicky was also on stage itwent in to a frenzied chinarider & balloons falling from the sky .The 3rd set as lisacat called it was a psyhadelic shitstorm ending with which I thought during to build up of viola ,Rob Koritz's eyes were going to pop out of his skull watching & keeping up to Jeff.It seemed like everyone in the band was mesmerized & facing Jeff and just keeped playing & playing & building & building up up up this monterous jam until ......it just couldn't go any futher ,It was a musical orgasm.Dso exploded ,they blew their load then Jeff starts this fead back to bring down the crowd I thought they would just turn to the mics& sing we bid you good night but no ,we got I'll be with thee which I've seen lisa do with z,t before ,very sweet ,then the beginning of tangledup to me sounded like lonesome & a long way to go but it was tangled .Don't know how they mustered up enough energy for it but they did .peace everyone ,jam boaters are in for some fun .Can't wait till winter run & man what a crew of fantastic friends out there that keep an eye on certain situations ,tahank you ,

How was mountains???

sweet & sick

WOW! Wed night was smoking 1st set and could not go to floor on second set -feeling nausous from over exertion and shock from eating healthy food, I don't know how you vegetarians do it. NYE was fantastic. After Pizza and Jamaican Beef patties I was ready for all three sets - all I can say is WOW and please give me more of this before mentioned "psycedelic shitstorm"!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP
I'm not uselly the one writing the reviews in our household,my wife Kris does it but she's up stairs still trying to come down from this past week of extreme emotion musically charged week.I did write a mini on the first show in Norfolk which I gotta say that that era Jeff freakin nails like no one can!!!! I just love the long jams ,the build up into the crazyness and all that good stuff .

The second night was my least favorite .We got to the venue ,got to our favorite spot (love the rail ,as Rick E puts it I'm a rail rat)There was heat blowing out from under the stage.It was like a 100 degrees in there so we went up in the back which is where I loose my connection to whats going on ,I love to see the interreaction during the music with all the band members .There were some high lights in the show but I just felt to distant so I said to Kris next 2 nights we're up front which brings us to the opening jack straw ,played masterfully .even the el paso smoked in that show .the jam in half step before theystarted to sing across the rio grande e o was extra longer then they used to play it .It seems like every thing is being played longer then it used to be with Jeff..The first set ended with a firery music with augest west in the middle of about 8 of us doing this tribal shit stomping frency crazy dance around him . Hope he's o.k. The wharf Rat was killer ,so was the round & round .I'm skipping around here but in the first set they started to do firefly ,Herdy says why do you call it that .When the song came out it just seemed easier at the time to write fire fly on cassette boxes instead of passenger so it just always stuck.Oh a golden road filler ,does more need to be said ??

On to the final frontier .It started out with Dave & Denise getting married before the Bridge started playing .I will be for ever grateful for u 2 asking me & Kris to be your witnesses .Rob Barraco went out of his way to get Cotter to put on Shining Star for them ,what a gentleman.Being this was my 4 th show in a row I needed a little something to keep me going like 2 red bulls & when the wooden music started I'm dancing along wondering if the music would ever catch up to my head ,Well I gotta say it did . When they started to play mountains all of a sudden the place got real real quite .I was picking up my tixs earlier in the day & we heard them sound check it so we knew it was coming . Ripple sweetness ended the first set . I got up to us the bathroom at 2 in the morning last night & I couldn't get the slipknot out of my head ,I think it will be there for the rest of my life .Midnight hour countdown with Rob & Lisa rap ,I think Nicky was also on stage itwent in to a frenzied chinarider & balloons falling from the sky .The 3rd set as lisacat called it was a psyhadelic shitstorm ending with which I thought during to build up of viola ,Rob Koritz's eyes were going to pop out of his skull watching & keeping up to Jeff.It seemed like everyone in the band was mesmerized & facing Jeff and just keeped playing & playing & building & building up up up this monterous jam until ......it just couldn't go any futher ,It was a musical orgasm.Dso exploded ,they blew their load then Jeff starts this fead back to bring down the crowd I thought they would just turn to the mics& sing we bid you good night but no ,we got I'll be with thee which I've seen lisa do with z,t before ,very sweet ,then the beginning of tangledup to me sounded like lonesome & a long way to go but it was tangled .Don't know how they mustered up enough energy for it but they did .peace everyone ,jam boaters are in for some fun .Can't wait till winter run & man what a crew of fantastic friends out there that keep an eye on certain situations ,tahank you ,

sweet & sick

Ditto on everything Steve said.......I concur wholeheartedly. I've had the good fortune to be able to spend the last 3 NYE's with DSO. This one may have been the most fun.

As others have said, the music was off the hook. It's a blast to watch the band feeding off of JM's energy and riffing. Jeff especially nails the material from the late 60's. A perfect example this night was Alligator. His Strat really captures the sound Garcia was getting at that point of his career.

As good as the music was the company was even better. I finally got to put some faces to the names from this board. Steve, Kris, Rob, John......it was great to meet and hang with you. Gary/Connie, it's always a pleasure to see you snapping pics for us. I met others but my memory fails. We have a terrific community around here.

Happy New Year to the band and all of you!

peace, reid.

• Forum MVP

I think its worth mentioning that 'the eleven' from this show was by far the best that I've seen dso or anyone do. Jeff absolutely tears up the late 60s material, bringing new power to songs I felt jk underperformed. Spanish jam out of space was very cool but what really blew me away was the 'blues for allah' theme out of alligator....all I can say is wow! I'm loving the new song editions and extended jams that Jeff brings to the band. Let me tell all you people that I am quite sure that we'll be alright.... :D

THANK YOU to everyone for making our wedding night great,special thanks to our DEAR friends Steve and Kris for standing up for us to get married,Rob thanks for making the trip with the family. Rob B thanks for your time and things you did for us ,TIM and the rest of the band THANKS to all of you for a GREAT night .Sorry can't forget John, Bridget,Adam the night was a blast thanks.NOW lets get to the music it was OFF THE HOOK from start to finish,if you weren't at the show it's really hard to explain what happened and you wouldn't understand , you just had to be there. I myself don't have the words to discribe the show . All that i can say is IT WAS A GREAT NIGHT OF MUSIC ,DANCING,FUN AND GREAT FRIENDS. Peace Dave

Earlier today I texted something like this to an unfortunate who was not able to attend the gala NYE. The Viola was like an atomic blast that I couldn't watch, I had to close my eyes and raise up my arms palms to the stage to shield the enormous energy that was being emitted. The release that followed exhausted me to a point of utter nonsense. I am still having difficulty this evening gathering my thoughts, the few that are floating around are pleasant and I am beginning to come around slowly very slowly.

I want to thank all of the band, crew and fans for doing what you do and doing it so well. Each and everyone of you makes this the best experience possible. It's even better than than that if that's possible/

Quickly: Norfolk was cold, chilly winds blowing throught he venue made me shiver. The music was great the space was amble the crowd was fun. Stella and Strange Man sticks out for me. Richmond was hot and stuffy, my least favorite of the four nights. Morning Dew was incredible. Watching Rob B. from high above was different. First night in Baltimore was a dancing show, not sure if I ever stopped/ then NYE.

The Donna Jean Band is great fun they played their hearts out and did some down right fun stuff that I loved. Besides the GD tunes they played; Darkness, darkness, She said and that Bee Gees tune What the hell was it called?

By far the best turn of a decade I have ever had. I recalled them all and they all, ( minus the 69/70) were influenced by the music I love.

For everyone heading for Jam Cruise have fun, you are in for a ride. See you all in February if I can get the time off.

Thank you again Peace and Love Kris

Guest gratefuldiver

What a show!!! Reliving the night by simply reading the set list gives me goosebumps. Mountains>Ripple, William Tell>The Eleven, and Viola Lee Blues...indescribable! And I'm a 1977 fanatic. Welcome Jeff! And thank you DSO for a very happy new year!!!

Guest Lisacat

In addition to what I said above, I also want to give major kudos to Tim Walther and the staff at the Ramshead. I think Tim and his crew do such a topnotch job... it does get pretty crowded in there but its nice for NYE to have the multiple levels, tons of bars (never lines for a drink), and no bathroom lines. Tim does a great job making it look festive, putting food out, and making sure that everyone has a champagne toast. Loved the tiedye balloons too.

I also have to mention the story about my cell phone....after the show I was down from the balcony and on the main floor. I had my phone in my hand for sure. Went outside, grabbed a beer at the outside bar and went to reach for my phone again. Its not in my purse, pockets, anywhere. Completely lost. Went back in the venue to check and no sign anywhere. I figured it was gone...its was time #4 for me losing this particular phone and I figured it would be the last. The next day I was dropping a couple folks off in Frederick and I got a phone call on my business cell from a 410 number. It was a woman who had found my phone- lived in Baltimore and said I could come pick it up. So I turned around and went back to Baltimore. I'm getting close to her house and scared shitless. I'm in the complete ghetto- trash all over the streets, a guy running after my car yelling for me to stop, etc etc. I'm thinking to myself OK Lis, this is it, you are going to die before you get your phone. So I finally pull up to the house, call her and when she came to the door, it was the woman who was working the VIP balcony that night for us and had been the sweetest lady to us all night long. It was such a relief too that she is the person who found my phone. Turns out she was cleaning downstairs in the venue and found it on the floor- so it must have dropped from me and I didn't realize it. There are many good people in this world.

Ditto on everything Steve said.......I concur wholeheartedly.

As others have said, the music was off the hook. It's a blast to watch the band feeding off of JM's energy and riffing. Jeff especially nails the material from the late 60's. A perfect example this night was Alligator. His Strat really captures the sound Garcia was getting at that point of his career.

As good as the music was the company was even better. I finally got to put some faces to the names from this board. Steve, Kris, Rob, John......it was great to meet and hang with you. Gary/Connie, it's always a pleasure to see you snapping pics for us. I met others but my memory fails. We have a terrific community around here.

Happy New Year to the band and all of you!

peace, reid.

Reid,

It was a grate NYE in Baltimore for sure!

I agree it's always nice to get to meet new friends from the forum.My daughter Morgan & I had a blast with Dave&Denise/You/Steve&Kris/Adam/John/Brian!We also got to run into a bunch of folks from Nokia shows-Just a grate night with good friends!

I thought the best parts of the night were Accoustic Set (Cold Jordan/Mountains/etc...) & the Viola Lee Blues-It was amazing watching Jeff raise the intensity higher & higher, as he had a "Catch me if you can look on his face!" The bands playing climbed with him & the performance was incediary!

Just a smokin' night in Baltimore :dsorocks:

Happy New Year,

Rob

Archived