Good Lovin(bw)

setbreak 9:56pm

10:07pm

Dark Star! V1>

Jam>

Let it Grow>

Dark Star v2

Attics

goin' friggen OLD school here...Death Don't? Attics? Alligator? Next Time U See Me? what can i say besides ABSOLUTELY FUCKIN' FABULOUS?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

oh, and Little Light {obviously not as old school} the night before? {as well as the aforementioned {{numerously, so i won't Furthur (haha <---)}} Jerry ballads}...

• Forum MVP

Also... this whole show vocally is awesome... Bob sings his songs, Phil sings his, and John sings his (not just Jerry songs but songs that were given to him such as Hurricane and Magnolia Mountain)

Does John sing the harmonies on UJB now? I really hope so.

• Forum MVP

This show was a special one. The Alligator was a late 60's style so raw and powerful and just a fantastic opener. I almost thought I heard a Kazoo up there, it was getting that crazy.

I have no idea if others who were there felt this way-- but I can't really explain what's it's like for me when John did that Death Don't Have No Mercy in the '68 style that so many of us cherish so fucking much. Many of those versions have the kind of emotion within them that could have started wars, could have ended famine, could have cured all evils pertaining to humanity and so on--they are magical forces of genius--almost each and every one of them. We hold those versions so close to us because of how immensely real they are--they are perfect examples of how music and humanity can be joined in a way that leaves the observer breathless. I'm actually glad that I wasn't born during any of them because there is no way I would now be able to put a noun and verb together if I had seen any of that in person.

Hearing John do this version of this song was something to see. Some people on the upcoming tour, who love this kind of stuff, are going to be very lucky. On top of that, when I hear Mr. Bob Weir play those Hampton Death Don't Have No Mercy chords, it's as if my body is about to go into seizure--I'm not even kidding. I can't even explain the adrenaline, the goose bumps, the dopamine, the chills, the trauma that were awash in me during those moments. Personally, I think that the song doesn't need a organ solo (the GD did one at the Omni '90) but Jeff took one after the fourth verse and that's how they will probably do it. If I could talk to Phil, I would ask him about his thoughts regarding letting Jeff do the solo after the 2nd verse and John doing the solo after the 4th verse. Anyway, there was some other great stuff in this show as well.

One thing...Hurricane is obviously a great song but it's such a hard song to sing live--the lyrics come up so fast and so furiously, and there are SO many of them. I almost don't think it's fair for them to ask John to do this cold, in front of an audience. Whatever the case though, if anyone is able to get those lyrics down it's him--I just think the song is too difficult to really pull off live but I guess we'll see. It just seems too big to capture in a live setting. If Garcia did that song, he would have probably played about 4 or 5 different solos throughout it, in order to give himself some breathers with all those versus. Despite all this, John did a pretty amazing job with it and to watch him throw his right hand to the air on the line "Don't forget that you are White!" was pretty fun stuff.

Even the UJB w/out John's vocals was good--so much better than some of the previous versions. John and Phil were doing some fantastic stuff on that jam and everyone knows the potential of an UJB jam--this one was really good.

When Bob shouted out "Wait a minute!" towards the end of the Good Lovin and then asked/barked "Who needs some lovin?" I shouted out, and shouted alone and WAY too loudly "I need some!" And I apologize to Robin and her family who were all near me--it's just that I've been away from my wife for what seems like a month. Obviously, that the question was rhetorical.

They continued that late 60's play with the D Star and it was one HELL of a D Star. There were some terrifying parts and there were some glorious parts and there were some parts that just make one ache. John, Phil and Bob followed one another through them all. It had to be some of the best stuff Phil and Bob have done in a long, long time.

The Attics was beautiful. That song is obviously all about the vocals. In addition, the lyrics on that are some of the greatest, some of the heaviest words ever put to song. Versus like "In the book of love's own dream, where all the print is blood" are as big as it gets. To hear Bob and Phil and John sing that song and sing it so well, it's that body awash in all that crazy stuff all over again. Garcia is the only musician to ever get me to cry but I came close on this one. Phil looked at Bob after the last note and nodded as if to say "That's how it's done, brother."

3 more to go--I will be sad when this ends because it's been a reawakening for me of sorts regarding Bob and especially Phil--I just have't seen much of them since '95.

Long live the Grateful Dead. Long live Dark Star Orchestra and....am I allowed to say it.... Long live Furthur!

When Bob shouted out "Wait a minute!" towards the end of the Good Lovin and then asked barked "Who needs some lovin?" I shouted out, and shouted alone and WAY too loudly "I need some!"

you may have been alone aurally, but not spiritually. thanks for shouting out for all of us.

When Bob shouted out "Wait a minute!" towards the end of the Good Lovin and then asked barked "Who needs some lovin?" I shouted out, and shouted alone and WAY too loudly "I need some!" And I apologize to Robin and her family who were all near me--it's just that I've been away from my wife for what seems like a month. I think, though, that the question was rhetorical.

... Long live the Grateful Dead. Long live Dark Star Orchestra and....am I allowed to say it.... Long live Furthur!

No apology necessary, David! I dug your energy all night long. It was fun to be hanging with you. Be yourself, man. Sing, dance, shout, do whatever your moved to do! Love you! You're awesome! xoxoxo

• Forum MVP
This show was a special one. The Alligator was a late 60's style so raw and powerful and just a fantastic opener. I almost thought I heard a Kazoo up there, it was getting that crazy.

I have no idea if others who were there felt this way-- but I can't really explain what's it's like for me when John did that Death Don't Have No Mercy in the '68 style that so many of us cherish so fucking much. Many of those versions have the kind of emotion within them that could have started wars, could have ended famine, could have cured all evils pertaining to humanity and so on--they are magical forces of genius--almost each and every one of them. We hold those versions so close to us because of how immensely real they are--they are perfect examples of how music and humanity can be joined in a way that leaves the observer breathless. I'm actually glad that I wasn't born during any of them because there is no way I would now be able to put a noun and verb together if I had seen any of that in person.

Hearing John do this version of this song was something to see. Some people on the upcoming tour, who love this kind of stuff, are going to be very lucky. On top of that, when I hear Mr. Bob Weir play those Hampton Death Don't Have No Mercy chords, it's as if my body is about to go into seizure--I'm not even kidding. I can't even explain the adrenaline, the goose bumps, the dopamine, the chills, the trauma that were awash in me during those moments. Personally, I think that the song doesn't need a organ solo (the GD did one at the Omni '90) but Jeff took one after the fourth verse and that's how they will probably do it. If I could talk to Phil, I would ask him about his thoughts regarding letting Jeff do the solo after the 2nd verse and John doing the solo after the 4th verse. Anyway, there was some other great stuff in this show as well.

One thing...Hurricane is obviously a great song but it's such a hard song to sing live--the lyrics come up so fast and so furiously, and there are SO many of them. I almost don't think it's fair for them to ask John to do this cold, in front of an audience. Whatever the case though, if anyone is able to get those lyrics down it's him--I just think the song is too difficult to really pull off live but I guess we'll see. It just seems too big to capture in a live setting. If Garcia did that song, he would have probably played about 4 or 5 different solos throughout it, in order to give himself some breathers with all those versus. Despite all this, John did a pretty amazing job with it and to watch him throw his right hand to the air on the line "Don't forget that you are White!" was pretty fun stuff.

Even the UJB w/out John's vocals was good--so much better than some of the previous versions. John and Phil were doing some fantastic stuff on that jam and everyone knows the potential of an UJB jam--this one was really good.

When Bob shouted out "Wait a minute!" towards the end of the Good Lovin and then asked/barked "Who needs some lovin?" I shouted out, and shouted alone and WAY too loudly "I need some!" And I apologize to Robin and her family who were all near me--it's just that I've been away from my wife for what seems like a month. Obviously, that the question was rhetorical.

They continued that late 60's play with the D Star and it was one HELL of a D Star. There were some terrifying parts and there were some glorious parts and there were some parts that just make one ache. John, Phil and Bob followed one another through them all. It had to be some of the best stuff Phil and Bob have done in a long, long time.

The Attics was beautiful. That song is obviously all about the vocals. In addition, the lyrics on that are some of the greatest, some of the heaviest words ever put to song. Versus like "In the book of love's own dream, where all the print is blood" are as big as it gets. To hear Bob and Phil and John sing that song and sing it so well, it's that body awash in all that crazy stuff all over again. Garcia is the only musician to ever get me to cry but I came close on this one. Phil looked at Bob after the last note and nodded as if to say "That's how it's done, brother."

3 more to go--I will be sad when this ends because it's been a reawakening for me of sorts regarding Bob and especially Phil--I just have't seen much of them since '95.

Long live the Grateful Dead. Long live Dark Star Orchestra and....am I allowed to say it.... Long live Furthur!

That is what I call a review...

Archived