Stu To Dso?

jimo

Guest Rob Eaton

Alright I'll bite here.... Firstly the tour in question here is APRIL... I don't see why the band has to talk about it's internal issues BEFORE a tour is officially announced especially if it's almost 4 months away. Last I checked DSO has NOT announced a spring tour and when we do you can be sure we will also announce the line up. People need to step back and realize WE are going through MAJOR changes and decisions, patience on the fans part would be a great help to us. Here's what I can tell you at this point: Jeff will be on the next tour. He knows how we feel about him but he has things he needs to deal with and work out outside DSO. He was not able to commit to the April back in Nov when we asked him and thus we decided to see what Stu has to offer. Stu is scheduled to perform the April tour and the April tour only. We will then be in a better position on who would be the best fit for the permanent guitar spot going forward. When we know what the future will be we will let everyone know but I would ask everyone to PLEASE let us work this out..... One thing I do know for certain is JK will not be back playing with DSO so we have to make the right move for all of us going into the future.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
from what I've heard JM is going to become a permanent member of dso. Don't know if Stu is still going to step in for a tour or not...I think his vocals would be a step up from Jeff's but I'll take Jeff for his guitar playing and jamming ability. But, like everyone's saying, if eaton, barraco, koritz, english, rosen, and mackey go on tour, i'll be there.

I had come to terms that JM was a permanent member of DSO. Ever since I heard the Princeton show, I was convinced he's was the best fit for the spot. Rob B. stated in an interview the band will start playing originals. Rob E. stated on FB to "Look for a long overdue original project in 2010," which I assumed is incorporating original DSO songs. I'm looking forward to seeing DSO w/ JM in Indy and (possibly) Columbus.

I agree w/ Dylan that Stu's vocals are a step up from JM but Jeff's guitar playing is amazing. I will support DSO no matter who is at the lead spot.

• Forum MVP
Alright I'll bite here.... Firstly the tour in question here is APRIL... I don't see why the band has to talk about it's internal issues BEFORE a tour is officially announced especially if it's almost 4 months away. Last I checked DSO has NOT announced a spring tour and when we do you can be sure we will also announce the line up. People need to step back and realize WE are going through MAJOR changes and decisions, patience on the fans part would be a great help to us. Here's what I can tell you at this point: Jeff will be on the next tour. He knows how we feel about him but he has things he needs to deal with and work out outside DSO. He was not able to commit to the April back in Nov when we asked him and thus we decided to see what Stu has to offer. Stu is scheduled to perform the April tour and the April tour only. We will then be in a better position on who would be the best fit for the permanent guitar spot going forward. When we know what the future will be we will let everyone know but I would ask everyone to PLEASE let us work this out..... One thing I do know for certain is JK will not be back playing with DSO so we have to make the right move for all of us going into the future.

Go Jets!...All the way to the title!

I personally think it is something the fans should be made aware of as soon as it is finalized...why postpone the inevitable? With Furthur on tour and all of the great music exploding out of this scene this year I kinda feel like the fans deserve as much notice as possible. For me certain lineup changes would and will influence which shows I choose to save my vacation for. Vacations need a lil advanced planning. IMHO the only logic or motive I can see in delaying an announcement like that is deceitful and purely financially motivated. That being said, I do appreciate the official word.

I personally think it is something the fans should be made aware of as soon as it is finalized...why postpone the inevitable? With Furthur on tour and all of the great music exploding out of this scene this year I kinda feel like the fans deserve as much notice as possible. For me certain lineup changes would and will influence which shows I choose to save my vacation for. Vacations need a lil advanced planning. IMHO the only logic or motive I can see in delaying an announcement like that is deceitful and purely financially motivated. That being said, I do appreciate the official word.

yikes-o-pete, now dso is trying to wring money from us? come on now. if you push rob over the edge and he decides to go home to hearth and family, i will personally hunt you down. and tickle you til you promise to make it up to him.

the band released this information on an informal basis a little while ago. if you were reading this forum, you would have seen this. check out cavey

Guest deadheadmike
yikes-o-pete, now dso is trying to wring money from us? come on now. if you push rob over the edge and he decides to go home to hearth and family, i will personally hunt you down. and tickle you til you promise to make it up to him.

the band released this information on an informal basis a little while ago. if you were reading this forum, you would have seen this. check out cavey's lyrics. it has popped up in other posts as well.

Stu is waiting to craft his art.

can I have a tickle :wub:

Guest deadheadmike
I wouldn't comment on the above matter for anything!

Nothin' left to do but Smile,smile,smile !

J-E-T-S, J-E-T-S, J-E-T-S all the way to the title ! :dsorocks:

Keepin' the Peace,

Rob

Hey , what do I have to do for you to call me back (?) sick ARCH STANTON on you ... WTF :rofl:

I personally think it is something the fans should be made aware of as soon as it is finalized...

I think the keyword there is finalized! What does The Schwag's website say, have they made any kind of "official" announcement?

Do you mean to say you plan your vacation around Stu? If you look at DSO's schedule you will see that it shows Jeff will be playing with them for all of the scheduled shows.

I think the keyword there is finalized! What does The Schwag's website say, have they made any kind of "official" announcement?

Do you mean to say you plan your vacation around Stu? If you look at DSO's schedule you will see that it shows Jeff will be playing with them for all of the scheduled shows.

I totally agree with there being no word until it's finalized...but to me it seems this has been finalized for quite some time. No, I don't plan my vacation around Stu. Hardly. Honestly I'd rather see DSO with Mattson....not taking anything away from either one, but yeah, I do plan my vacations around shows...that I am guilty of...and with the changes in the lineup the caliber and cohesiveness changes right along with it. It comes naturally. As a concertgoer I'd like to know who I'll be seeing prior to making any concrete plans. No harm or offense intended in my post. Sorry guys.

I totally agree with there being no word until it's finalized...but to me it seems this has been finalized for quite some time. No, I don't plan my vacation around Stu. Hardly. Honestly I'd rather see DSO with Mattson....not taking anything away from either one, but yeah, I do plan my vacations around shows...that I am guilty of...and with the changes in the lineup the caliber and cohesiveness changes right along with it. It comes naturally. As a concertgoer I'd like to know who I'll be seeing prior to making any concrete plans. No harm or offense intended in my post. Sorry guys.

pug, i was definitely joking about hunting you down. but not about tickling you. :)

• Forum MVP

I'll support DSO through all this hoopla. I understand they got a lot on their plate and only so much time to chew it. I would like to see JM with DSO though i didn't have a chance to see him last time due to school and i caught them at Nokia with JK instead. On the other hand, I'd also really enjoy Stu. Need to see them both live though to truly compare, than i can make my final decision. Until then... i'll reserve judgement and enjoy the ride.

• Forum MVP

Nothing is finalized. It appears Stu will most likely get a chance to play with DSO on the West Coast for the next run. From what I have heard, the band is trying new guitar players out in a live setting and no decision on a permenant replacement has been made. Some one with more knowledge than I please clear this up if this information does not appear accurate. Stop talking about things like their rumors and only possibilities to explore GD music in more and more ways. DSO is going to settle on a lead guitar player that make the best fit musically and we should embrace this decision and give them time to make. Just my 2 cents.

• Forum MVP

First off I'd like to say I meant no disrespect with me post and I hope I did not upset anyone. I was just a little mixed up due to the fact that the dso ticket site is already selling tickets for 8 shows in April. Here is what's on sale now :

Wednesday. April 7, 2010

Aspen, CO

@ Belly Up - Aspen, CO

Friday. April 9, 2010 - Saturday. April 10, 2010

Boulder, CO

@ Boulder Theater - Boulder, CO

Friday. April 16, 2010

Portland, OR

@ Crystal Ballroom - Portland, OR

Saturday. April 17, 2010

Seattle, WA

@ Showbox - Seattle, WA

Thursday. April 22, 2010

Reno, NV

@ Knitting Factory - Reno, NV

Friday. April 23, 2010 - Saturday. April 24, 2010

San Franisco, CA

@ Regency Grand Ballroom - San Francisco, CA

Wednesday. April 28, 2010

Los Angeles, CA

@ El Rey - Los Angeles, CA

Friday. April 30, 2010 - Saturday. May 1, 2010

Solana Beach, CA

@ Belly Up - Solana Beach,

Rob thank you for filling us in on what's going on. I hope I did not upset you over my post here. I am sure the last several months has been A LOT of work and stress for everyone in the band and starheads around the world. I thnk I'm just freekin out due to the fact that the last time I got to see DSO was that mindblowing Springfield, OH show.

Much love to all :)

• Forum MVP

http://www.archive.org/details/jgb2009-12-....shivaho.flac16

listening to a few tracks right now. Stu's voice really captures that JGB sound of the early 80's...really well. I don't know a lot about Stu, only seen JGB once and the Shwag once(years ago) so I don't really recall what his jamming ability it is like. It seems that his niche is the JGB sound and I just don't know how it will translate to dso. Not necessarily saying he wont be as a good as JM, but I just don't know. In my opinion(and I don't know shit) the band will settle with JM. I just don't see how after NYE our guys and gal could pick anyone else. That being said I look forward to hearing both the music and what the people have to say regarding Stu's performance.

always down for more JGB in the lineup... :wub:

Stu can jam...and well...here are some recent Dead material shows of his:

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag20...wsleys_20100101 (20+ min opening Dark Star)

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag20...wsleys_20100102

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag20...wsleys_20091230

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2009-09-19.sbd.mtx (personal favorite)

Enjoy what is to become...Starheads are in for a treat...you guys have NO idea...it'll be a fun ride...this is all for the better.

• Forum MVP
Stu can jam...and well...here are some recent Dead material shows of his:

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag20...wsleys_20100101 (20+ min opening Dark Star)

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag20...wsleys_20100102

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag20...wsleys_20091230

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2009-09-19.sbd.mtx (personal favorite)

Enjoy what is to become...Starheads are in for a treat...you guys have NO idea...it'll be a fun ride...this is all for the better.

I'm in school now but I'll definitely check out that 20+ min dark star later. Don't want anyone to think that I'm close minded here, it's just that I saw two shows with jeff and thought they were great...bring on Stu! I'm down for whatever and I know that this band will make the best decision they can.

Guest jazz-man

I really appreciate Eaton piping up here to set the record straight. Rob I hope that you appreciate that some folks kinda fixate on the band and want to go to as many shows as possible and also need advanced notice to be able to get vacation time/babysitting/$$together to tour. It is a turbulent time in the band and I think we appreciate that. But some of us are a bit impatient and worry a bit. And that's probably because DSO is the band I want to see more than any other! Thanks Rob and God bless us everyone.

• Forum MVP

Hello folks. Happy New Year!

.... a few thoughts from my personal perspective as a band member.

First, I love Jeff Mattson. He really exudes Jerry's exploratory approach to jamming. The guy has endless ideas as exemplified by the many times we used up all our time by the time we finished the GD show song list, ran out of time, or ran over time. And this is all after playing an additional set with Donna and Jeff Band. Can anyone say energizer bunny? I don't want to speak for everyone else but I think it would be fair to say that everyone in the band, Jeff included, had a really fantastic time playing with each other. The magic was real and i think band and audience recognize that. He was the first guy we went to as we were most familiar with his great amount of musical experience and it is clear he has the heart and soul to play this music in this band.

That being said, Jeff is a stand up guy. He doesn't just drop his commitments at the drop of a hat no matter how good that hat may be. He and Donna have a committed musical relationship together as he is partners with Donna. That means he doesn't work for Donna, he works with Donna. We, in DSO, understand and respect this relationship. We are also very Grateful that they made time so that DSO and Jeff could play together. We also look forward to time in the future when Jeff will have time to play with us. Quite frankly, I wouldn't have such favorable and respectful thoughts of Jeff if he just up and dropped the project he has with Donna. Playing with DSO, needless to say, is a HUGE commitment. Jeff is just doing the right thing in taking time to get his world together and perhaps he can work things out so that he can play with us a great deal in the future.

We will keep this train rolling as long as there are musicians who can play this music with the caliber of playing this music demands. I, personally, would love to see DSO around for many years, even after I and the rest of the current band are too old to do it anymore, as the music is bigger than any one of us. Grateful Dead music will live on into the future and I believe it has a good home in DSO. My point here is to say that there are a lot of levels of thought that all of us go through in making sure the train keeps rolling they way it deserves to roll.... which is full speed ahead.

Stu is a young player who shows a lot of promise and talent and he is growing by leaps and bounds musically all the time. He is devoted to his craft and has the desire in him to continually improve. He's really fucking good now and with the rest DSO lighting a fire under his ass, I have the utmost confidence great music will be made. I'm looking forward to the April tour as I believe we are all in for a treat. I know the April / May tour for sure it's not going to suck... I believe it has the potential to be really phenomenal but I will hold judgement until then to see how phenomenal it will be.

So people, do not worry, this music is in good hands. Between the members of DSO, Jeff, and Stu, we have a lot of fantastic music and magic to look forward too.

My two cents,

Peace,

Dino

Archived