Stu To Dso?

jimo

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 cents on pugdog's posts.

I don't take pugdog's posts as negative or offensive. Pugdog has been a member to The Schwag message board since 2006. He is an active "poster," on the schwag board (over 1300 posts). I assume most Schwag fans are disappointed and hurt to see Stu leave (even if its just for a month) The Schwag for DSO. On top of it, two other members of The Schwag are also leaving the band. So it appears, Jimmy T, will by himself without a band,other than JGB, until he finds replacements. It appears Stu will play with The Schwag until the April tour. From then on, his future with The Schwag is unknown. Based on this, I can understand where he's coming from when he posts stuff that appears to be negative or offensive to others.

One more thing, pugdog takes criticism well. Several starheads have confronted his posts and he has apologized or was understanding. Usually people fly off the handle when criticized and leave the board or lash back. He has taken the confrontation well. I respect pugdog for that. Yes, he appears to have some animosity but haven't we all had animosity towards something at some point in our lives?

I appreciate the kind words Jim.

But know that animosity is the furthest away from any feelings I have regarding the situation. If that were the case I would hide behind a different screen name. I love GD tunes no matter who is playing them and have the utmost respect for their craft. For me, as a concertgoer, I support the artists with all of my heart, and a lot of my wallet. :sleep:

When I heard the news of Stu leaving I was excited...still am. With tribute bands lineup changes happen...often. I've been seeing The Schwag since 2005 and they have cycled through 2 keyboarders, 3 drummers (ask your very own Rob and Dino), and more lead guitarists than I can remember. Change comes with the territory and it's beautiful...it's opened my eyes to different interpretations of GD tunes and has turned me onto countless other artists. Change has brought DSO to who they are today and, as Bluebird so eloquently stated, will bring the force to take many more shapes and forms all to our benefit as concertgoers. I want what is best for the Artists and myself and with music they both go beautifully hand in hand. Animosity? No. Utter excitement and total support? Absolutely.

To use a baseball analogy...

from a touring and fanbase perspective The Schwag are AA ball, the minor leagues...

....DSO are AAA ball minors...one step from...

...FURTHUR...the Pros...the big game.

Take JK's situation...surely you longterm Starheads have no animosity about your player going pro? It's like a Brother getting a better job....this is what they hope for, it's the fruit of their labors. All the while we get to taste the fruit too...we get to watch the rose bloom and absorb it's beauty with all of our senses. I think it's wonderful on all levels...Nothin' but love here. :blush:

(Sister Blueheart...am I the dog or the cat?) :rolleyes:

• Forum MVP
Hello folks. Happy New Year!

.... a few thoughts from my personal perspective as a band member.

First, I love Jeff Mattson. He really exudes Jerry's exploratory approach to jamming. The guy has endless ideas as exemplified by the many times we used up all our time by the time we finished the GD show song list, ran out of time, or ran over time. And this is all after playing an additional set with Donna and Jeff Band. Can anyone say energizer bunny? I don't want to speak for everyone else but I think it would be fair to say that everyone in the band, Jeff included, had a really fantastic time playing with each other. The magic was real and i think band and audience recognize that. He was the first guy we went to as we were most familiar with his great amount of musical experience and it is clear he has the heart and soul to play this music in this band.

That being said, Jeff is a stand up guy. He doesn't just drop his commitments at the drop of a hat no matter how good that hat may be. He and Donna have a committed musical relationship together as he is partners with Donna. That means he doesn't work for Donna, he works with Donna. We, in DSO, understand and respect this relationship. We are also very Grateful that they made time so that DSO and Jeff could play together. We also look forward to time in the future when Jeff will have time to play with us. Quite frankly, I wouldn't have such favorable and respectful thoughts of Jeff if he just up and dropped the project he has with Donna. Playing with DSO, needless to say, is a HUGE commitment. Jeff is just doing the right thing in taking time to get his world together and perhaps he can work things out so that he can play with us a great deal in the future.

We will keep this train rolling as long as there are musicians who can play this music with the caliber of playing this music demands. I, personally, would love to see DSO around for many years, even after I and the rest of the current band are too old to do it anymore, as the music is bigger than any one of us. Grateful Dead music will live on into the future and I believe it has a good home in DSO. My point here is to say that there are a lot of levels of thought that all of us go through in making sure the train keeps rolling they way it deserves to roll.... which is full speed ahead.

Stu is a young player who shows a lot of promise and talent and he is growing by leaps and bounds musically all the time. He is devoted to his craft and has the desire in him to continually improve. He's really fucking good now and with the rest DSO lighting a fire under his ass, I have the utmost confidence great music will be made. I'm looking forward to the April tour as I believe we are all in for a treat. I know the April / May tour for sure it's not going to suck... I believe it has the potential to be really phenomenal but I will hold judgement until then to see how phenomenal it will be.

So people, do not worry, this music is in good hands. Between the members of DSO, Jeff, and Stu, we have a lot of fantastic music and magic to look forward too.

My two cents,

Peace,

Dino

great post Dino. I always like to hear from the band member's perspective on this train that will keep on rolling and give us the Grate shows night after night that we all love. I know this music is in good hands and I am looking forward to the Grate music and magic that is yet to be given to us! Dino - did you see that Rooster that was walking on the sidewalk in front of Kentucky Fried Chicken on that side street in Georgetown, Cayman Islands last week? Funniest thing I have ever seen! Thanks for the two shows aboard Jam Cruise 8, Jeff was on fire - hope you enjoyed your little Carribean vacation too! Looking forward to so much more of the music we all know and love be it with Jeff or Stu.

:dsorocks:

from a touring and fanbase perspective The Schwag are AA ball, the minor leagues...

Its a forum and everyone has their own opinion and I respect your opinion.

To me, DSO is the "Pros," but at a smaller scale (smaller, intimate venues with less people). Just my opinion.

To me, DSO is the "Pros," but at a smaller scale (smaller, intimate venues with less people). Just my opinion.

and that Jim....I thank you for.

I can appreciate that, but what would Furthur be then? The Hall of Famers! That's it! :P

good stuff.

and that Jim....I thank you for.

I can appreciate that, but what would Furthur be then? The Hall of Famers! That's it! :P

good stuff.

hmmm....Furthur: 2 Hall of Famers w/ 4 pros.

Hope to meet you at a show some day, my friend.

:D

Not really digging your analogy there bro ! It don't get much better than DSO . Just cause Bobby and Phil are in a band ( unless of course that band has JER in it ) does not make it more pro than here . Oh shit I'll say it again. Who asked me anyway . I will say this . Stu is killer and he is a nice kid too . That Tough MAMA he and JGB opened with under the blistering summer sun out at the ledges a few years back was EPIC . HOT SHIT .

Merry New Year :mellow:

A

OK this is fact DSO rocks all of us every night they play you will get everything they have and that NO BULLSHIT THEY ARE PROS and it really PISSES me off that someone woukd come on a DSO FORUM and say they are a AAA team AND furthur are the pro if JK didn't bless furthur with his present furthur would SUCK that a FUCKING FACT .I have plently and plently of GD shows under my belt and plently of DSO shows under my belt ,so if you think DSO is a AAA team then please stay off the DSO forum . It doesn't matter who plays lead with the rest of band they will give you everything they have.PEACE DAVE

OK this is fact DSO rocks all of us every night they play you will get everything they have and that NO BULLSHIT THEY ARE PROS and it really PISSES me off that someone woukd come on a DSO FORUM and say they are a AAA team AND furthur are the pro if JK didn't bless furthur with his present furthur would SUCK that a FUCKING FACT ,so if you think DSO is a AAA team then please stay off the DSO forum . It doesn't matter who plays lead with the rest of band they will give you everything they have.PEACE DAVE

Why can't we all just get along?

:dsorocks:

Tranquil @ the Jerseyshore,

Rob

• Devoted

Nice words Pug PUNK.

Or is it Professor Dogcrap?

Either way I slice my velveeta it lays down cheesy, just like you dogboy.

Baseball's an American sport, and I love my Mamas apple pie.

You don't want to mess with my Mama, dogbreath. And I know you don't want to step in the crap in my bullpen.

If DSO is the minor leagues then you are the pimple faced kid selling hotdogs in the bleachers. Or is that pugdogs?

Harry Callahan

SFPD

I appreciate the kind words Jim.

But know that animosity is the furthest away from any feelings I have regarding the situation. If that were the case I would hide behind a different screen name. I love GD tunes no matter who is playing them and have the utmost respect for their craft. For me, as a concertgoer, I support the artists with all of my heart, and a lot of my wallet. :sleep:

When I heard the news of Stu leaving I was excited...still am. With tribute bands lineup changes happen...often. I've been seeing The Schwag since 2005 and they have cycled through 2 keyboarders, 3 drummers (ask your very own Rob and Dino), and more lead guitarists than I can remember. Change comes with the territory and it's beautiful...it's opened my eyes to different interpretations of GD tunes and has turned me onto countless other artists. Change has brought DSO to who they are today and, as Bluebird so eloquently stated, will bring the force to take many more shapes and forms all to our benefit as concertgoers. I want what is best for the Artists and myself and with music they both go beautifully hand in hand. Animosity? No. Utter excitement and total support? Absolutely.

Take JK's situation...surely you longterm Starheads have no animosity about your player going pro? It's like a Brother getting a better job....this is what they hope for, it's the fruit of their labors. All the while we get to taste the fruit too...we get to watch the rose bloom and absorb it's beauty with all of our senses. I think it's wonderful on all levels...Nothin' but love here. :blush:

(Sister Blueheart...am I the dog or the cat?) :rolleyes:

Interesting take. Obviously not a yankee fan.

If your looking for the real old school gd music, its DSO on a PRO LEVEL! If you want new contrived, staged gd music with new arrangements in the songs; oh and a band leader that speaks into the mike to control the action; then furthur is your ball game

DSO with JM is the closest you will get to how JG directed the gd. A free environment for music collaboration.

Your analogy works only with monetary value of the tickets and venue size. Doesn't mean much to me.

Tranquility!

• Forum MVP

Hmmmmm... I think the AAA analogy works very well and needn't be insulting at all. AAA ball is plenty exciting and in many important ways more fun for the audience than pro ball. One of those important ways, it seems to me, is the genuineness and accessibility of players. Of course there's more room to enjoy the show and ticket prices are better. I mean yeah on a skill basis the DSO musicians are pro, but many is the skilled pro who still occupies a AAA spot in the cold arithmetic of the marketplace. There are a lot of stand-up athletes with great skills still playing smaller venues looking for their chance to play big stadiums. Nothing insulting about AAA sez me.

• Forum MVP
Hmmmmm... I think the AAA analogy works ......Nothing insulting about AAA sez me.

Ahh, all this Hot Stove League talk about Who's on First ?....... I'm just itch'n for some MUSIC and good danceing....it's been too long for me ...last shows were the Filmore three and it's been a cold winter since then, (new eyes outstanding )...I'm lining up stuff for Futhur early Feburary at the Tabernacle...want to be on the rail just to support John and then the better weekend at Variety Playhouse for two DSO shows...just hope the Highland Inn has both hot and cold water in the shower of the hotel room this time. Hope to see ya'll there.

Peace and Love,

Doc

OK this is fact DSO rocks all of us every night they play you will get everything they have and that NO BULLSHIT THEY ARE PROS and it really PISSES me off that someone woukd come on a DSO FORUM and say they are a AAA team AND furthur are the pro if JK didn't bless furthur with his present furthur would SUCK that a FUCKING FACT .I have plently and plently of GD shows under my belt and plently of DSO shows under my belt ,so if you think DSO is a AAA team then please stay off the DSO forum . It doesn't matter who plays lead with the rest of band they will give you everything they have.PEACE DAVE

Whoa man...wayyyyyyy hostile! Gotta take the punches better than that. Which weren't even punches really, I thought it made a certain kind of sense. Obviously, an excited fan, what's the big freakin deal you guys? A fan from a different angle than us. It's gonna happen A LOT more from now on, y'know?

"A free environment for music collaboration." Shouldn't this forum reflect that?

• Forum MVP

Ok kids this has gotten a bit out of hand. We all need to take a step back and relax. We all love this music and this band no matter how we slice it that's the bottom line!

I know winter time and no tour can be rough on us all but we all need to chill out a bit. Take some time and crank some tunes and for god sake spread a little love and kindness!

Much love to all :)

WOW....if you angry folks had actually read my post prior to extending your unhappiness perhaps it would have fared better on your emotions.

"To use a baseball analogy...

...FURTHUR...the Pros...the big game. "

For the record I have seen DSO perform at a higher caliber than The Grateful Dead themselves. My analogy was in NO way bashing their ability or music.

Not insulting anybody (once more)...I was speaking from a touring and fanbase perspective. Not sure why there was confusion there but it's all good.

Some of you are very kind and some are brutal...where do you hide your claws during the day?

Dirty 'n Harry: I love your Mother's apple pie too...we all do....it's delicious...just a tad flaky.

Some kid on YouTube might be a better technical guitarist than JK, but that does not make him a Pro! It makes him a kid on YouTube. I think the baseball analogy works, especially of you look at the fan base and venue/cost perspective. Furthur has more star power because of BW and PL, period. Unfortunately it has no actual bearing on whether they are better players of their respective instruments or not.

Archived