Furthur's Place On The Dso Forums

Dr. Barry

• Advisory Board

Dear Friends,

Clearly there are alot of feelings about the whole situation, in fact the many situations that JK leaving DSO have spawned in our little community. I feel like the Forums have handled all of the change very well, but I also feel like it is time to move on and re-allow these Forums to be a dedicated space for DSO.

Let me be clear. This is not an attack on JK, not at all. In fact I think the Forums should always be a place where JK is welcome as a subject of discussion, like any Alumni band or crew member is. This is not any type of censorship, ALL subjects are welcome in these Forums, jokes, politics, etc. The difference is when a band other than DSO develops a nitch, no much more than a nitch, a dedicated sub forum where much of the websites traffic is devoted, discussing things that are completely relevant to that particular band, and no longer relevant to DSO. Things like setlists, who is singing, internal band politics, on sale ticket schedules, and on and on and on. We can be proud of JK and supportive while not having the DSO Forums become a defacto Furthur Forum. And of course as others have pointed out there are other online Forums where we can post about Furthur, read about Furthur, find out setlists as they happen, etc.

While we all share alot in common in the GD community, we also have our particular likes and tastes. There are places on the web for anything Dead related to be posted, there are Ratdog sites, there are Phil sites, there are Furthur sites, and there is this DSO site.

I have found it convenient to log into these Forums and in a one stop shopping convenience type of way and catch up on what is going on with Furthur and DSO, but I could almost as easily find out what was played last night with Furthur from many other sites, and if I really wanted to, I would do just that.

So why jettison the Furthur sub Forum? Because in my opinion it is insensitive to the band and crew of DSO, as well as a certain segment of DSO fans. It makes it even easier in that it is not nearly the only source for Furthur information and discussion, as stated above those places readily exist so it's not as if some kind of vital dialogue will be stymied if Furthur was not as prominent on the DSO Forums anymore.

Why is it insensitive? Well remember this is only my opinion. I am not in the band or even nearly close enough to know how anyone connected to the band truly feels, but I am sensitive to what I believe they may reasonably be feeling. It is like a divorce that you may witness between a couple where you are a friend to both the husband and the wife. Imagine that either side leaves suddenly and without warning, and for a future of financial security and a better fortune for themselves, and the other spouse is left with an uncertain future, and worried about their very ability to keep on going. You as a good friend would want to be supportive to both sides if possible. I would want that too. But I would not keep bringing up the spouse that left to the spouse that was left behind, while in their house and eating dinner with them. I would not be telling stories about how great the new couple looks and acts while the other spouse is still struggling to get their act together. I wouldn't be shoving that in anyones face, that is just insensitive and unnecessary. Even if the spouse that had more to lose acts magnanimously, and truly wishes the spouse that left the very best, and really means it too, I would rather be a good friend to that person and not flaunt the other in their face. That's just me.

That's my 2 cents. I will not be sad to see the furthur sub Forum go away on the DSO Forums. There are places for all of us to read and write about Furthur, and wish JK the very best. We can and should still welcome discussion of JK on the DSO Forums as it relates somehow to DSO and not strictly, 100% about Furthur with no DSO related content.

I support JK, I have seen and will continue to see Furthur, but I love DSO. This is where my musical heart is. DSO is the friend that needs and deserves my compassion and friendship and they have it 100%. Let's be supportive to everyone, in the places and ways that make sense with compassion and understanding for all.

Dr. Barry B)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree....I see your point but I think limiting discussion on the matter isn't necessary...read the posts or threads if you so desire, if that's not the case, don't. I personally don't read them too often on this forum but I have and I do value Starheads' opinions on what's happening with Furthur.

BUT....that is just from a fans perspective...if the band doesn't want it in their faces I could understand that too. I'm not privy to all of the behind the scenes feelings on the matter either...perhaps the band should and will make an executive decision on the matter?

• Forum MVP

I too like your style Doctor B. Very well written, and I have been thinking much along the same lines. I agree with you too!

Let's get this forum back to the band at hand on this site - Dark Star Orchestra!

:dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks::dsorocks:

Agreed !!! "Comes A Time " .

Comes a time when the blind-man takes your hand, says "Don't you see?

Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe."

Don't give it up, you got an empty cup only love can fill,

only love can fill.

I disagree....I see your point but I think limiting discussion on the matter isn't necessary...read the posts or threads if you so desire, if that's not the case, don't. I personally don't read them too often on this forum but I have and I do value Starheads' opinions on what's happening with Furthur.

BUT....that is just from a fans perspective...if the band doesn't want it in their faces I could understand that too. I'm not privy to all of the behind the scenes feelings on the matter either...perhaps the band should and will make an executive decision on the matter?

Pugdog,

This forum is a seperate entity from DSO, I doubt that the band would make an"executive decision" on our forum!

Dr Barry-Thanks for the well written post! You selected a very good analogy!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

Hey Barry, I think all of your points make a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to give us your perspective--it is always thoughtful and centering.

I guess it has crossed my mind in the last several days that there may be people that don't really want to read about what's going on with Furthur and that aren't that interested in that forum being part of this web site. It probably should have crossed my mind more than a couple days ago--I honestly don't know why it didn't.

I know there are people who want the forum to stay but I think it's pretty clear there are more people that want it to go.

• Forum MVP

Although I would love to continue to discuss Furthur here (b/c i don't see myself joining another forum and i value the opinions here) I am going to agree with the doctor. Time to let go. C'est la vie.

There's many reasons i could give for keeping it here and for getting rid of it but to be respectful to DSO, get it outta here.

It will be sad to loose the Furthur forum, as it is particularly nice to hear about the band from the perspective of those who know and have followed JK through the years. However, I can see that my enjoyment of it is a bit selfish, when you consider the overall picture, as Dr. Barry has so articulately pointed out.

• Forum MVP
It will be sad to loose the Furthur forum, as it is particularly nice to hear about the band from the perspective of those who know and have followed JK through the years.

A good point.

Wouldn't removing the Furthur Forum end up causing posts about Furthur to appear in the General Discussion section? And if this is the case, there would be no way for the folks who don't want to read about Furthur to avoid it. By keeping the sub-forum intact, those who have no interest in the content simply don't need to click there.

It will be sad to loose the Furthur forum, as it is particularly nice to hear about the band from the perspective of those who know and have followed JK through the years. However, I can see that my enjoyment of it is a bit selfish, when you consider the overall picture, as Dr. Barry has so articulately pointed out.

I understand all the work that goes in to a site like this,so from that stand point it makes sense.BUT lets not forget why DSO is even able to exsist is because of those two OTHER people in FURTHUR,and our lost brother JERRY>So to imply that DSO toes are getting stepped on here is redundant.Face it if there was no original 5/8/77 what would be the point.Lets face it in todays world we are lucky DSO is even allowed to do this.

Ok... so I may be the lone dissenter here.

TR created the Furthur subforum to keep Furthur chatter out of the General Discussion area. Since it is unlikely that Furthur discussion will cease in 2010, one of two things will happen. Either the General Discussion area will have some (not tons but some) Furthur discussion or TR will need to begin censoring Furthur content from the boards (something TR would be unwilling to do considering his charter).

Dr Barry is a bright and eloquent starhead and his post deserves the comments that have followed. That being said, I'm not sure I get the divorce analogy. I mean... I get the divorce part but when you say "I would not be telling stories about how great the new couple looks and acts while the other spouse is still struggling to get their act together", who is the struggling spouse here? Last I checked on these boards, the new DSO lineup is getting RAVE reviews and Furthur discussion has centered around Bob shatnerizing Standing.

Look guys, I have been seeing DSO since Fall 2000 and they have been my favorite band for a decade. While I am not a band member, as a fan I've deeply disliked this transition. However, as a guy raised on GD, I know this music is about community. Not us..... not them.... but GD family. Furthur is by far the best post GD lineup since Jerry's passing. Starheads want to talk about Furthur... and we all love JK regardless of the so-called "divorce". We haven't seen some burst of DSO Forum membership since Furthur was created. You know who is checking out the Furthur Forum? The same starheads that have been on this board forever.

So delete the Furthur Forum or keep it. It'll be TR's call in the end. Eaton's comments above told me in a way that perhaps having Furthur posts on this board hurts DSO band members or slows the healing process. If so, I'll keep my Furthur posts to a minimum and will continue to support DSO as I always have. Either way, Furthur is real and I for one am happy they are sounding good and looking content.

Ok... so I may be the lone dissenter here.

...I'm not sure I get the divorce analogy....who is the struggling spouse here? Last I checked on these boards, the new DSO lineup is getting RAVE reviews and Furthur discussion has centered around Bob shatnerizing Standing.

Look guys, I have been seeing DSO since Fall 2000 and they have been my favorite band for a decade. While I am not a band member, as a fan I've deeply disliked this transition. However, as a guy raised on GD, I know this music is about community. Not us..... not them.... but GD family. Furthur is by far the best post GD lineup since Jerry's passing. Starheads want to talk about Furthur... and we all love JK regardless of the so-called "divorce". We haven't seen some burst of DSO Forum membership since Furthur was created. You know who is checking out the Furthur Forum? The same starheads that have been on this board forever.

So delete the Furthur Forum or keep it. It'll be TR's call in the end. Eaton's comments above told me in a way that perhaps having Furthur posts on this board hurts DSO band members or slows the healing process. If so, I'll keep my Furthur posts to a minimum and will continue to support DSO as I always have. Either way, Furthur is real and I for one am happy they are sounding good and looking content.

You aren't the lone dissenter. I shared my feelings in two other threads (why oh why and 1/11/2010), but I can see both sides of the discussion. I would like the Furthur Forum to remain, but I'll love the DSO Forum and call it home whatever happens.

I'll admit I tend to be an optimist, full of positivity, and lots of love. My heart has room for all of it, but I'm hearing there are many who find it challenging. So if it has to go, I'll understand, but that's not my vote.

• Forum MVP

I'm with blindman on this one. No disrespect to DSO or anyones feelings at all but I like getting all the Dead Music info here in one place. If the Furthur forum was to "go away" folks on here would still have Furthur posts. Just like John A said above if you don't want to see it or read about it don't open it. It's that easy. I always thought this forum was for deadicated fans of the music, just like the members of DSO who are some of the most deadicated fans of the music around. I love this place, DSO, and all the Dead Music that is going on right now.

Much love to all

Guest Rob Eaton

I think the point here (not adding opinion) is that this is the ONLY place for any discussion about DSO related news yet there are numerous areas to find news and discussions about Furthur....

I am truly in a quandary! I have never said people couldn't or shouldn't discuss Furthur, or anything else for that matter we don't have a Ratdog or Phil Forum and we discuss them. John is and will always be my friend, and yes it is great he gets to play with Bob & Phil.

I don't think a Furthur Forum is appropriate for a number of reasons I don't intend to discuss here. Like I said elsewhere the only reason I put one up to begin with was to keep other forums uncluttered.

Should it stay or should it go, now

If it stays there wil be trouble,

If it goes it will be double.

I think the point here (not adding opinion) is that this is the ONLY place for any discussion about DSO related news yet there are numerous areas to find news and discussions about Furthur....

"speak with wisdom like a child, directly to the heart..."

"it's a hand me down..."

Archived