Furthur's Place On The Dso Forums

Dr. Barry

• Forum VIP

I am in support of moving on...I think Dr. Barry said it very well ...as fans we should respect the band and the crew and focus on the music they produce for us going forward....I am sure I will visit a site to see whats up with Furthur at some point ...but it should not be here...my .02...Dr.V

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the point here (not adding opinion) is that this is the ONLY place for any discussion about DSO related news yet there are numerous areas to find news and discussions about Furthur....

Point taken Rob but then where are these other numerous areas to discuss Furthur? I don't spend much time on the internet. I go to Yahoo for email and to check the box scores of my favorite teams and I come here. That's about it. Where should we go? A Ratdog site or a Phil and Friends website? I wouldn't know where to start. I also have read posts from "lurkers" over the years that frequent other boards and they always compliment our boards for the quality of our people and content. I feel like I know this site is the best without having to go outside to look for new boards.

I frequent DSO forums for two reasons: I love DSO and I've really have enjoyed getting to know the other posters (dare I say some new friends) on our shared site. No quandry for you TR, I think you need to take down this subforum because of Rob's feelings and feedback first and foremost (not to mention that appears to be the majority view and is probably shared by other band/crew members). That being said, I hope we can still discuss JK's venture with Furthur with an open mind and heart in different areas of this site.

I can't wait for West Coast DSO tour and am glad you are slipping in some Petaluma dates :).

Respectfully.....

...Where should we go? A Ratdog site or a Phil and Friends website? I wouldn't know where to start. I also have read posts from "lurkers" over the years that frequent other boards and they always compliment our boards for the quality of our people and content. I feel like I know this site is the best without having to go outside to look for new boards.

...I hope we can still discuss JK's venture with Furthur with an open mind and heart in different areas of this site.

Respectfully.....

I hadn't checked out Philzone or .org until Furthur started, and boy is the vibe different. I've noticed lots of drama, people not identifying themselves, etc. I may glance over there occasionally, but this is the site where I'm comfortable. It will all work out, somehow. No worries, Taper Ron! Do what your highest self guides you to do. DSO Forums Rock!!!

Dear Friends,

Clearly there are alot of feelings about the whole situation, in fact the many situations that JK leaving DSO have spawned in our little community. I feel like the Forums have handled all of the change very well, but I also feel like it is time to move on and re-allow these Forums to be a dedicated space for DSO.

Let me be clear. This is not an attack on JK, not at all. In fact I think the Forums should always be a place where JK is welcome as a subject of discussion, like any Alumni band or crew member is. This is not any type of censorship, ALL subjects are welcome in these Forums, jokes, politics, etc. The difference is when a band other than DSO develops a nitch, no much more than a nitch, a dedicated sub forum where much of the websites traffic is devoted, discussing things that are completely relevant to that particular band, and no longer relevant to DSO. Things like setlists, who is singing, internal band politics, on sale ticket schedules, and on and on and on. We can be proud of JK and supportive while not having the DSO Forums become a defacto Furthur Forum. And of course as others have pointed out there are other online Forums where we can post about Furthur, read about Furthur, find out setlists as they happen, etc.

While we all share alot in common in the GD community, we also have our particular likes and tastes. There are places on the web for anything Dead related to be posted, there are Ratdog sites, there are Phil sites, there are Furthur sites, and there is this DSO site.

I have found it convenient to log into these Forums and in a one stop shopping convenience type of way and catch up on what is going on with Furthur and DSO, but I could almost as easily find out what was played last night with Furthur from many other sites, and if I really wanted to, I would do just that.

So why jettison the Furthur sub Forum? Because in my opinion it is insensitive to the band and crew of DSO, as well as a certain segment of DSO fans. It makes it even easier in that it is not nearly the only source for Furthur information and discussion, as stated above those places readily exist so it's not as if some kind of vital dialogue will be stymied if Furthur was not as prominent on the DSO Forums anymore.

Why is it insensitive? Well remember this is only my opinion. I am not in the band or even nearly close enough to know how anyone connected to the band truly feels, but I am sensitive to what I believe they may reasonably be feeling. It is like a divorce that you may witness between a couple where you are a friend to both the husband and the wife. Imagine that either side leaves suddenly and without warning, and for a future of financial security and a better fortune for themselves, and the other spouse is left with an uncertain future, and worried about their very ability to keep on going. You as a good friend would want to be supportive to both sides if possible. I would want that too. But I would not keep bringing up the spouse that left to the spouse that was left behind, while in their house and eating dinner with them. I would not be telling stories about how great the new couple looks and acts while the other spouse is still struggling to get their act together. I wouldn't be shoving that in anyones face, that is just insensitive and unnecessary. Even if the spouse that had more to lose acts magnanimously, and truly wishes the spouse that left the very best, and really means it too, I would rather be a good friend to that person and not flaunt the other in their face. That's just me.

That's my 2 cents. I will not be sad to see the furthur sub Forum go away on the DSO Forums. There are places for all of us to read and write about Furthur, and wish JK the very best. We can and should still welcome discussion of JK on the DSO Forums as it relates somehow to DSO and not strictly, 100% about Furthur with no DSO related content.

I support JK, I have seen and will continue to see Furthur, but I love DSO. This is where my musical heart is. DSO is the friend that needs and deserves my compassion and friendship and they have it 100%. Let's be supportive to everyone, in the places and ways that make sense with compassion and understanding for all.

Dr. Barry B)

Thank you for the very thoughtful and articulate post, Dr. Barry. I especially appreciate your comments on the potential for a dedicated Furthur section on the DSO forumus to be potentially disrespecful to the DSO organization. I have had similar thoughts, but you have put them down here better than I probably could. To be honest, I have been feeling somewhat guilty to have been posting so much about Furthur here, and to have been so positive and glowing with my opinions on how they are now playing (at least since their somewhat less than spectacular premier in Oakland). I suppose one might potentially construe such gushing talk as being at the expense of DSO, but this is most certainly not at all my feelings. I have really been most happy to see how JK is making believers out of so many in the "fake Jerry" crowd. I suppose part of this is the natural human nature to get satifaction from knowing something before others figure it out. That said, my discomfort with this insensitivity issue has increased greatly in the last week due to a conversation that I had with an individual who has close connections with the Furthur organization. I don't feel it is appropriate to repeat here exactly what was disclosed. I'll just leave it that there were certain motivations and calculations involved with the formation of Furthur that were not completely benevolent towards how it would effect DSO. I have a very high degree of confidence in the truthfullness of what I was told. That all I care to say--one can probably fill in some of the blanks themselves. For that reason, I suppose it is time to pull the plug on this sub-forum.

I look forward to continuing to enjoy both bands. When this Furthur deal started, I had hoped it would be an opportunity for JK to go and live the dream and get even better than he already was, before returning to DSO. Alas, this appears to not be in the cards. Were it so, I would most certainly say that the Furthur section be kept. As things stand, I suppose it is time to pull the plug. It gives me no pleasure to say this, but it seems appropriate.

Guest deadheadmike
:rolleyes:

Why can't we all just get a BONG !!!

:blink:

Nothing but LOVE for you Robbie and everyone here . This place rocks . I hope I didn't create this shitstorm . My love is real , that is for sure !

Anth

I have 2 words for you , ARCH STANTON . :huh::rofl:

• Forum MVP

John has been in DSO for a long time, most of our DSO experiences he has been a part of and he is now playing with the creators of this music... why isn't this a good place to talk about it? I hope not to sound harsh, truly just trying to discuss... If any member of DSO were playing with this band I would want to be able to talk about it.

Mike Arch was kinda pivotal in bringing this issue to a head. You are right he is to blame , but more to thank . My late night new years eve post was not intended to create this , but you know what , I'm glad it happened . Neutrino what's up buddy ? Your post was great . Very interesting about Furthers motivations . I have seen a couple of shows and it seemed up on stage that those guys were excited to have a player like Johnny up there . I would hope that they want to try and create music in the style of the Grateful Dead . It looked that way to me . I am happy for Bob and Phil if that is what they are reaching for . You know Chimenti and Jay are LOVING this . Russo is a monster . All that aside . This is my home . I am a DEADHEAD . Thank you DSO . You are my family always .

A

Guest deadheadmike
Mike Arch was kinda pivotal in bringing this issue to a head. You are right he is to blame , but more to thank . My late night new years eve post was not intended to create this , but you know what , I'm glad it happened . Neutrino what's up buddy ? Your post was great . Very interesting about Furthers motivations . I have seen a couple of shows and it seemed up on stage that those guys were excited to have a player like Johnny up there . I would hope that they want to try and create music in the style of the Grateful Dead . It looked that way to me . I am happy for Bob and Phil if that is what they are reaching for . You know Chimenti and Jay are LOVING this . Russo is a monster . All that aside . This is my home . I am a DEADHEAD . Thank you DSO . You are my family always .

A

Ant , no one is to blame and there is nothing to be blamed for ... the Furthur forum does not belong here for LOTS of reasons ... you know there are folks here that post in such a way that it is obvious how extremely good hearted they are , you are one of those folks !!! :)

• Forum MVP
Ant , no one is to blame and there is nothing to be blamed for ... the Furthur forum does not belong here for LOTS of reasons ... you know there are folks here that post in such a way that it is obvious how extremely good hearted they are , you are one of those folks !!! :)

I get it, doesn't mean I have to like it.

I miss jk already.

I think the point here (not adding opinion) is that this is the ONLY place for any discussion about DSO related news yet there are numerous areas to find news and discussions about Furthur....

The facts speak for themselves.

Thanks to DSO, crew and families for their dedication and sacrifice for our enjoyment. I suspect they enjoy it a little too.

NYE was a Hall of Famer! Thanks Again

• Forum MVP
I think you need to take down this subforum because of Rob's feelings and feedback first and foremost (not to mention that appears to be the majority view and is probably shared by other band/crew members).

Randy,

I didn't get from Eaton's posts that he was sharing his feelings about this issue at all. All I got was him clarifying that there are many places to talk Furthur and only one place, that we know of, to talk DSO.

A

Thank you Anthony. To me, the topic stuck out like a pig with a silk hat! Just thought it deserved some attention.

Sorry to ruffle any ones feathers

• Forum MVP
No one is censoring anything, Rick.... We are just moving all Furthur posts into the General Discussion thread area

Thanks for the clarification. Hope all is well. Feel free to remove my post to a more appropriate place in the politics forums, as censorship does not appear to be a problem of the DSO forum.

I'm not going to waste time with a long post. I would never support censorship. If Furthur related info is going to be discussed in the general discussion section then get rid of the sub forum and accept that the general discussion may be dominated by discussions of Furthur. JK is still apart of the DSO family; DSO and its fans have taught me a lot about family, as my real family has. I don't always support my brother's decisions, but I certainly do not lose interest in his actions because I do not support them. If all Furthur related info is going to be deleted as posted on the forum, I can not and will not support this decision. Censorship doesn't help anyone and even if keeping Furthur info is the minority opinion, I believe that protecting the interest of the minority is a lot more important than promoting the interests of the majority. The only possible reason would be an emotional scar felt by a member of the band so deep that discussion itself is causing unavoidable pain. I would accept this reason for the censorship given that this Forum is to support the band we all love, DSO. However, after meeting the band members and seeing them move on and play with Jeff at such a high level, no one appears to be overly emotional about the situation. I could be wrong; people often hide their emotions and perform best under emotional distress. As far as I can tell, the Furthur discussion is harmless and does have many benefits. I only check the DSO forums regularly for GD related info. I check the Furthur site from time to time for show announcements, but other than that, DSO forums is where I get my information. I have put a face to many sn's on this forum and I respect the opinion of many of this forums members of GD music. I would certainly consider it a shame to lose what I consider valuable information about the music we all love.

Nonetheless, DSO has my support regardless of this decision and if Furthur discussion is deemed inappropriate, I will not rock the boat and will only discuss Furthur information outside of a forum environment. I will continue to be an active member of this community.

Please don't support censorship. Allow Furthur discussion somewhere. We are all family and all members of our family should be supported and there interests protected.

Hey Rick-o, next time you post, give me the long version and waste more time.

Hope your well

• Forum MVP
Hey Rick-o, next time you post, give me the long version and waste more time.

Hope your well

I'm worried the long version would get skipped for being redundant, off point, and not actually addressing the issue of the thread. I find those posts really annoying.

• Forum MVP

Just as we routinely discuss The Good 'Ol Grateful Dead and other related jam bands in the General Discussion, I think Furthur threads could co-exist there as well. I see no need to have a dead-icated forum for them here. I agree it is (albeit not intentional) somewhat disrespectful to the band for which this site was created. :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP
Just as we routinely discuss The Good 'Ol Grateful Dead and other related jam bands in the General Discussion, I think Furthur threads could co-exist there as well. I see no need to have a dead-icated forum for them here. I agree it is (albeit not intentional) somewhat disrespectful to the band for which this site was created. :dsorocks:

So as not to appear hypocritical, this is my last post on the Furthur Forum. I would appreciate it if no one would post anything else here interesting or compelling because I have weak sales resistance......

• Forum MVP

Some great exchange of ideas and thoughts on this topic, I love it, but I think Eaton's post above is spot on. There are many places to discuss Furthur on the net, but one and only one place for Starhead's.....HERE!!!

That said, my discomfort with this insensitivity issue has increased greatly in the last week due to a conversation that I had with an individual who has close connections with the Furthur organization. I don't feel it is appropriate to repeat here exactly what was disclosed. I'll just leave it that there were certain motivations and calculations involved with the formation of Furthur that were not completely benevolent towards how it would effect DSO. I have a very high degree of confidence in the truthfullness of what I was told. That all I care to say--one can probably fill in some of the blanks themselves. For that reason, I suppose it is time to pull the plug on this sub-forum.

Having absorbed large doses of peace and love, it's comforting to know that this scene poses no threat to the foundations of my innate New York cynicism.

OK, my $.02...

When Furthur 2009 was formed and I found out about it, I gravitated towards this forum as it seemed to have the most inside info on the rumors surrounding JK - is he leaving DSO? How long? etc.

Because of Furthur I joined both the Ratdog and Philzone.org boards. Like Robin, I prefer the DSO board to the others for a lot of reasons, but let's sum it up as being nice people who can have interesting discussions without getting nasty. (usually, anyway ;) ) I totally understand the folks (and the band if they feel that way) who feel the Furthur sub-forum here can be perceived as a diss on DSO, so I will respect the decision of the board master, but I sure do enjoy talking GD music with the people on this board more than any other. Since the big news these days is around Furthur, it seems natural that they dominate a GD-oriented discussion, but certainly not a DSO-oriented discussion. Since this is a DSO board, I understand.

I just wanted to avoid checking multiple boards all the time to see what's going on - purely selfish reasons for sure.

Peace...

Archived