Furthur's Place On The Dso Forums

Dr. Barry

OK, my $.02...

When Furthur 2009 was formed and I found out about it, I gravitated towards this forum as it seemed to have the most inside info on the rumors surrounding JK - is he leaving DSO? How long? etc.

Because of Furthur I joined both the Ratdog and Philzone.org boards. Like Robin, I prefer the DSO board to the others for a lot of reasons, but let's sum it up as being nice people who can have interesting discussions without getting nasty. (usually, anyway ;) ) I totally understand the folks (and the band if they feel that way) who feel the Furthur sub-forum here can be perceived as a diss on DSO, so I will respect the decision of the board master, but I sure do enjoy talking GD music with the people on this board more than any other. Since the big news these days is around Furthur, it seems natural that they dominate a GD-oriented discussion, but certainly not a DSO-oriented discussion. Since this is a DSO board, I understand.

I just wanted to avoid checking multiple boards all the time to see what's going on - purely selfish reasons for sure.

Peace...

PEOPLE...please stop acting like this is DSO's music..They did not write ANY of it.If certain people feel that their livelyhoods are at stake because we are talking about the ACTUAL people who WROTE these songs, Maybe they should lookin the mirror!!I think EVERYONE involved has been getting away with STEALING for quite some time now.I would not try to ruffle to many feathers.And yes we DO NOT need DSO to talk about BOB or PHIL<WE have been talking about them for 40+ years!!And EVERY chance us DSO people get to thank them we SHOULD!!!Peace and Have A Grate Day!!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was one of the first to weigh in on this so will not bore you with repetition.....But here in just one example of a more appropriate vehicle for Furthur discussion..

http://otherones.net/furthur

OtherOnes.Net Moves Furthur to the Forefront

With twenty-one shows already under its belt and a lengthy tour around the corner, you'll now find the various sections of OtherOnes.Net now feature Furthur content exclusively. Navigating Furthur's activities has been made easier by segregating it from info on previous bands.

To get the The Other Ones and The Dead content, just click the tab at the top of the page to find all the info that's always been here. To get back to Furthur stuff, click that tab and you'll be set.

Posted January 11, 2010 9:22 AM CT

I'm clearly with the majority opinion.....

Shameless Plug: Next month in the STL Still hoping DSO draws a pair sevens and goes all in with them..or a Europe 72 show if Dino is on the shelf..Sorry Could not resist (LOL)

PEOPLE...please stop acting like this is DSO's music..They did not write ANY of it.If certain people feel that their livelyhoods are at stake because we are talking about the ACTUAL people who WROTE these songs, Maybe they should lookin the mirror!!I think EVERYONE involved has been getting away with STEALING for quite some time now.I would not try to ruffle to many feathers.And yes we DO NOT need DSO to talk about BOB or PHIL<WE have been talking about them for 40+ years!!And EVERY chance us DSO people get to thank them we SHOULD!!!Peace and Have A Grate Day!!

This discussion has absolutely nothing to do with the music. It is about discussions on this forum by members of this forum.

Not one band member has expressed an opinion as to the future of the Furthur forum. The decision will be mine based on my feelings and taking into consideration the opinions expressed here, by Starheads. DSO has never told me what I can or can't do here. While it is officially authorized by DSO it is our site.

Furthermore, the comment about stealing was one of the stupidest I have heard in a long time!

I was one of the first to weigh in on this so will not bore you with repetition.....But here in just one example of a more appropriate vehicle for Furthur discussion..

http://otherones.net/furthur

Unfortunately, the Community link on that page only takes you to the Ratdog Forum and some of those folks can be downright mean-sprited.

This discussion has absolutely nothing to do with the music. It is about discussions on this forum by members of this forum.

Not one band member has expressed an opinion as to the future of the Furthur forum. The decision will be mine based on my feelings and taking into consideration the opinions expressed here, by Starheads. DSO has never told me what I can or can't do here. While it is officially authorized by DSO it is our site.

Furthermore, the comment about stealing was one of the stupidest I have heard in a long time!

I do not frequent any other Dead related fansite...Way too much BS for me! I've been here so long I've got to callin it home! So I hope it can stay as a subforum...but understand if we must say fare the well...Thanks for all you do!

Jon

Unfortunately, the Community link on that page only takes you to the Ratdog Forum and some of those folks can be downright mean-sprited.

Understood..but it's still a more appropriate vehicle because Bobby is in the band..and there is a FURTHUR tab..

What they should do is add a specific furthur topic on their community message board that links from the Furthur Tab The Other Ones site..Non Rat-Dog related..

• Forum MVP

Okay... So many of our DSO experiences John has been a part of! If any member of DSO left to work on another project I'd want to talk about here... nothing compares the discussion and respect on this forum. Also, even if John was working on a project with no relation to Grateful Dead I'd want to talk about it, and that is true if it were any member of DSO. It just so happens he is playing with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir... two of these original creators of the music that totally inspired Dark Star Orchestra. I am confused as it why the sub-forum shouldn't be around. Furthur will not change how many times I see DSO or anything like that...

• Forum MVP
I do not frequent any other Dead related fansite...Way too much BS for me! I've been here so long I've got to callin it home! So I hope it can stay as a subforum...but understand if we must say fare the well...Thanks for all you do!

Jon

I agree with this sentiment. if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Guest crazy digits
This is the only GD site I frequent

I would be bummed to have the Furthur forum removed

I trust this site and the people who post here

I don't want to have to go somewhere else to read reviews, get info, etc.

please don't take JK forum away

-e

agreed........aren't we a family? I always looked at it this way.

• Forum MVP
Okay... So many of our DSO experiences John has been a part of! If any member of DSO left to work on another project I'd want to talk about here... nothing compares the discussion and respect on this forum. Also, even if John was working on a project with no relation to Grateful Dead I'd want to talk about it, and that is true if it were any member of DSO. It just so happens he is playing with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir... two of these original creators of the music that totally inspired Dark Star Orchestra. I am confused as it why the sub-forum shouldn't be around. Furthur will not change how many times I see DSO or anything like that...

Once again, I concur.......well stated.

A good and interesting point. Since most members of this forum have interest both in Furthur and in DSO, driving away the cyber Furthur traffic will not benefit the Dark Star Orchestra. There will be fewer logons and reduced exposure to announcements, reviews and generally positive comments about DSO.

A good and interesting point. Since most members of this forum have interest both in Furthur and in DSO, driving away the cyber Furthur traffic will not benefit the Dark Star Orchestra. There will be fewer logons and reduced exposure to announcements, reviews and generally positive comments about DSO.

i too think furthur is good for business. they will be creating new fans and rejuvenating others that gave up after jerry. with more bands touring, we can direct our dollars at the bands instead of airlines and hotels.

the scene is exploding right now. i see this as the center of the big bang. it

• Devoted
John has been in DSO for a long time, most of our DSO experiences he has been a part of and he is now playing with the creators of this music... why isn't this a good place to talk about it? I hope not to sound harsh, truly just trying to discuss... If any member of DSO were playing with this band I would want to be able to talk about it.

Dear Puleo,

PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZO !

You are a self admitted young member of this Forum, and were only 5 years old when the Grateful Dead played their last show. A quick review by my staff shows that with close to 250 posts on the DSO Forums that a VAST majority of your posts are about Furthur. And strictly about Furthur, their setlists, etc.

To be fair you are not engaging in a discussion about JK as a former member of DSO playing in Furthur, as entertaining as that may be. You are simply using the DSO Forums as a place to discuss Furthur related issues that do not have even the slightest pretense of being related to DSO or JK's history with DSO. That is the issue. No one has a problem with Furthur related posts, it's just that your posts are almost exclusively about Furthur and not much else.

And you do this with great frequency and urgency! You are often the first to post and comment on the latest Furthur setlists and song selections. Seeing a VincentPuleo post is a virtual guarantee without even opening it that it will be about Furthur with no DSO related content. Every now and then would be just fine, but please learn some manners. This is the DSO Forums. Try and pretend to at least relate something back to DSO when posting here or else your use of the site can feel a bit like the guest that doesn't know when he has stayed too long and is making a glutton of himself at your dinner table.

There is room for school girl gushing over Furthur setlists and play by plays, but have some decorum young man! Sure you can post about Furthur. But try and remember that this is the DSO Forums.

Many Chinese restaurants will serve you a hamburger and fries if you ask, but you should really try the Won Ton Soup and an eggroll. The chef will like you better and the waiter may not spit in your food as often.

Abby

PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZO !

very funny, abby. been waiting for you to make your move.

how about we have cavey, harry, and abby make the call? they are all brilliant, experienced, and trustworthy. and no chance of a tie.

ps we wouldn't know about saint greg if it weren't for vinny. he's made some significant contributions to this forum, even if they weren't dso related. although, as i have rather red-facedly admitted, i think all things about this scene are dso related.

very funny, abby. been waiting for you to make your move.

how about we have cavey, harry, and abby make the call? they are all brilliant, experienced, and trustworthy. and no chance of a tie.

ps we wouldn't know about saint greg if it weren't for vinny. he's made some significant contributions to this forum, even if they weren't dso related. although, as i have rather red-facedly admitted, i think all things about this scene are dso related.

I.would

prefer.to.make.the

call.

I.am

also.brilliant

experienced.and.trustworthy. My

Starfleet.Academy.training

and.my

tact

and.good

looks.make.me

the.best

arbiter

of.these.forum.issues.

Beam.me.up.Jerry,

Kirk

out

Guest deadheadmike

Bill , YOU ROCK !!!

I think a Cavey song about the Furhtur Forum Saga could prove to be interesting ... probably not to be recommended listening for the faint of heart or the queasy of stomach ... but his insightful lyrics could bring closure ...

I.would

prefer.to.make.the

call.

I.am

also.brilliant

experienced.and.trustworthy. My

Starfleet.Academy.training

and.my

tact

and.good

looks.make.me

the.best

arbiter

of.these.forum.issues.

Beam.me.up.Jerry,

Kirk

out

I love S.N.L. quote at the bottom,I remember watching that skit when I was a kid,well done sir!

• Forum MVP
Dear Puleo,

PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZO !

You are a self admitted young member of this Forum, and were only 5 years old when the Grateful Dead played their last show. A quick review by my staff shows that with close to 250 posts on the DSO Forums that a VAST majority of your posts are about Furthur. And strictly about Furthur, their setlists, etc.

To be fair you are not engaging in a discussion about JK as a former member of DSO playing in Furthur, as entertaining as that may be. You are simply using the DSO Forums as a place to discuss Furthur related issues that do not have even the slightest pretense of being related to DSO or JK's history with DSO. That is the issue. No one has a problem with Furthur related posts, it's just that your posts are almost exclusively about Furthur and not much else.

And you do this with great frequency and urgency! You are often the first to post and comment on the latest Furthur setlists and song selections. Seeing a VincentPuleo post is a virtual guarantee without even opening it that it will be about Furthur with no DSO related content. Every now and then would be just fine, but please learn some manners. This is the DSO Forums. Try and pretend to at least relate something back to DSO when posting here or else your use of the site can feel a bit like the guest that doesn't know when he has stayed too long and is making a glutton of himself at your dinner table.

There is room for school girl gushing over Furthur setlists and play by plays, but have some decorum young man! Sure you can post about Furthur. But try and remember that this is the DSO Forums.

Many Chinese restaurants will serve you a hamburger and fries if you ask, but you should really try the Won Ton Soup and an eggroll. The chef will like you better and the waiter may not spit in your food as often.

Abby

Abby,

I don't know if you noticed but John Kadlecik a former member of Dark Star Orchestra for 12 years just played 10 or so nights in a row with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir. You must understand that because of my age this is one of the only places I can discuss these things... people my age who are truly into this music are few and far between. Truthfully, as many people have said, this is the only place I've seen on the internet where good discussion happens. Excuse my motivation for constantly talking about shows and asking how they were. I wouldn't call it "school girl gushing"... my love for this music is for all 360 degrees... you'll be sure to see me post in the next Dark Star Orchestra show review...

:dsorocks:

Archived