Furthur's Place On The Dso Forums

Dr. Barry

Abby,

I don't know if you noticed but John Kadlecik a former member of Dark Star Orchestra for 12 years just played 10 or so nights in a row with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir. You must understand that because of my age this is one of the only places I can discuss these things... people my age who are truly into this music are few and far between. Truthfully, as many people have said, this is the only place I've seen on the internet where good discussion happens. Excuse my motivation for constantly talking about shows and asking how they were. I wouldn't call it "school girl gushing"... my love for this music is for all 360 degrees... you'll be sure to see me post in the next Dark Star Orchestra show review...

:dsorocks:

Very nice response!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ummm... not that I really care, but I thought I'd remind everyone that the nearest thing DSO had to a forum for several years was a folder on Dead Net Central, and for a while it was the one of the busiest, if not *the* busiest folder on the site. I wonder what the outcome would have been if Hunter had decided to close it, and move everything into the "cover bands" folder...

ummm... not that I really care, but I thought I'd remind everyone that the nearest thing DSO had to a forum for several years was a folder on Dead Net Central, and for a while it was the one of the busiest, if not *the* busiest folder on the site. I wonder what the outcome would have been if Hunter had decided to close it, and move everything into the "cover bands" folder...

There ya go! There has got to be enough bandwidth for us all to hang under this tent!

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
I am truly in a quandary! I have never said people couldn't or shouldn't discuss Furthur, or anything else for that matter we don't have a Ratdog or Phil Forum and we discuss them. John is and will always be my friend, and yes it is great he gets to play with Bob & Phil.

I don't think a Furthur Forum is appropriate for a number of reasons I don't intend to discuss here. Like I said elsewhere the only reason I put one up to begin with was to keep other forums uncluttered.

Seriously... As far as I'm concerned, I've never considered myself a 'Star' head.

I am a Deadhead pure and simple.

I love DSO, I love Furthur, and I love everything Ron's forums have to offer because for the most part they feature the friendliest, most respectful, and sane group of heads on the internet.

Perhaps there's room for everything on this forum, perhaps not, but in a perfect world maybe Ron would somehow be able to create a new domain for all GD music discussions no matter what stripe they may be...

Ron is the forum king!

:cheers:

I'm sorry but I fail to see what that has to do with the question at hand. With all due respect, if I'm not mistaken, this forum isn't here to furthur Furthur! If memory serves DNC didn't move the DSO folder they dumped it.

If I know TR as well as I think I do the furthur stuff won't go very far - too many of you want it. Besides, JK, I know how much TR thinks of you.

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
Whether they remove the sub forum or not. People on this forum are going to continue to talk about Furthur. We just need to decide whether its more convenient and easier on all to have sub forum.

I for one would hate to have to dig through 'general discussion' to put my finger on something specific.

I think the 'Furthur' tab was great during all of this recent Mill Valley stuff in order to keep up with what was going on with JK and the boys since there was *so* much daily information to follow.

Maybe rather than calling the subfolder 'Furthur', maybe we could just change it's name to 'DSO Alumni' or something like that. A place to talk about JK, Scott, Mike Maraat, Chopper, John Sabal, Bustar, Jim Harris, David Berg, Ahmer Nizam, Dave Cohen, Mark Corsolini, Michael Hazdra, Gregg Koerner, Skip Vangelas, Nikki Rich or *anyone* who contributed to this band's history if it's a topic worth discussing...

JK was a DSO founding member... We shouldn't white wash that fact.

We frickin' love that guy!

well said

• Advisory Board

Well let's see, John... More then likely nothing would of happened that would of effected the way this forum is run today... The DNC DSO folder was shut down back in 2005, when the old DSO site had a very primitive "message board system" under the "Reviews" section, along with the DNC folder. Also, back then, there were ALOT less users posting, registering, or even comming to the DSO website for "forum talk". Was the old DNC message system busy? Yes it was, but only with about 20-30 regular users who posted constantly on a daily basis. Also there were no multiple threads, only the one, where everyone had to talk over each other when discussing different topics.

Hunter could of moved it into your so called "cover band" folder, but instead he dumped it. The fact of the matter is that the progression of the DSO Forums would still be where it's at today... How about you all get your own message board on the Furthur site, we're doing just fine here... I'm glad you don't really care, John, cause the DSO forums shouldn't concern you anymore anyway....

"Peace"

Well let's see, John... More then likely nothing would of happened that would of effected the way this forum is run today... The DNC DSO folder was shut down back in 2005, when the old DSO site had a very primitive "message board system" under the "Reviews" section, along with the DNC folder. Also, back then, there were ALOT less users posting, registering, or even comming to the DSO website for "forum talk". Was the old DNC message system busy? Yes it was, but only with about 20-30 regular users who posted constantly on a daily basis. Also there were no multiple threads, only the one, where everyone had to talk over each other when discussing different topics.

Hunter could of moved it into your so called "cover band" folder, but instead he dumped it. The fact of the matter is that the progression of the DSO Forums would still be where it's at today... How about you all get your own message board on the Furthur site, we're doing just fine here... I'm glad you don't really care, John, cause the DSO forums shouldn't concern you anymore anyway....

"Peace"

Ron,

There seems to be no love lost between JK & yourself, but in my opinion-It would be nice if there wasn't any friction preventing JK from appearing around here!

As a DSO alumnist-I think alot of us still value his input greatly!

Just a thought, probably will go over like a turd in the punchbowl,but I'm throwing it out there anyway!

Why can't we all just get along,

Rob

TR,

If it were me, I'd probably handle this question through the advisory board privately. I mean, isn't that the purpose of the advisory board? Everyone has opinions...you can't please us all.

Dusty,

We had been discussing it in the advisory board before it came to light publicly. I didn't open this can of worms, although I'm glad it was. Like Pandora's Box once opened it's out! How's that for metaphors?

I know I can't please everyone, but I do try try to please the majority.

This is a really interesting discussion. The respect we show each other on this site, within the common thread of having been sparked by one or many strains [Grateful Dead, DSO, Furthur, Zen Tricksters...] of the Garcia/Hunter [G1H1] virus in our lives, is a joy. To read about Furthur, and be happy for John's journey with them, has been nice to do in the comfort of this more-conscious environment. Thanks for maintaining such a great site, and thanks DSO!

My vote is for the subforum to stay. Ironically I logged on today to share my excitement about Furthur and I saw this thread. And I so do not envy TR having to make this decision. (A good place to say thank you to Ron for all you do!) May I suggest an old-fashioned vote? Everyone keeps talking about the majority, but the majority of people who disagree with the removal of the forum are probably a little shy to say so. If Furthur would just make their own board this may not be an issue.

Personally I think everyone gets way too involved in the politics and inner-workings of the band. I know it's hard not to wonder what the members of DSO think about JK's decision, but truthfully it's none of our business until they make it our business. I only care about the music. Maybe that's selfish of me but I really try not to give a shit about anything else. As long as they play and do it well, why do we care about anything else? I know some of you are friends with band members and that obviously affects your opinion.

Was this board not created for DSO fans? Well I am a DSO fan. Always have been, always will be. And just like we have always discussed other bands, I wish to talk about Furthur. I could go to .org, sure, but I do not care for the people there. I like the people here and actually value their opinions.

One last note for Ms. Abby, I understand the point of your message to Vincent, but what I don't understand is the relevance of mentioning his age when the Grateful Dead played their last show. For future reference, what exactly is the cutoff age for someone to be able to discuss their love of this music and related topics? (no disrespect here, just a pet peeve of mine)

I'm glad you don't really care, John, cause the DSO forums shouldn't concern you anymore anyway....

Ron is great because he is passionate about DSO and always feels comfortable sharing how he really feels about what's going on... I'm taking his comments in context because for those of us who have been around for a while, we know he shares a special kinship with JK....

That being said, John has more right to post and be present on these boards then arguably any of us. He did co-found the band after all. Just because he is working on a new project should not prevent him from feeling VERY welcome around here. He has been and always will be a core member of this family and community.

Well the way I see it is that this forum has been a peacful place, for the most part, if you were to compare it with other discussion forums. There has been an influx of less than desirable posts in the last five months.

I think we are on the verge of getting a social disease on this forum. I am feeling contradictory with this post and am having system overloads fzfzfzfzfzfzzzzz

One of the founding principles of DSO was unification of the disparate cliques in the Chicago area and the dispelling of the "sports team" model of fan support (as in, rooting for one "team" and disparaging all others)...

...now where are we?

Herd, have you been given the assignment of baiting me into open hostility? "stranger ones have come by here..."

DSO was a dream I actively nurtured for 8 years before Tiny asked Scott and I to sub in his band, Jahari's Window, and at that time Mike Maraat and I had been hunting for drummers and sporadically jamming for over a year. So, 20 years of my life in THIS SPECIFIC BAND (DSO) and suddenly I'm not supposed to care?

Hmmm

Archived