Really, Massachusetts?

blythalala

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sad. i'm so sad today.

talk about ignorance. massachusetts is the most historically democratic state in the country.

what the fuck.

IMO-The voters there chose slowing down the Health care reform over continuing the tradition of voting Democrat!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

Coakley deserved to lose, took vacation for three weeks from mid december- early january, focused on fringe issues. All i know about Brown is he supports waterboarding, which is very disturbing. Perhaps a wake up call for the dems in washington, a big wakeup call for those of us who vote that way...

• Forum MVP

I believe a Kennedy has held that seat since JFK in 1952. Truly historic. There must be some serious issues with Coakley for her to lose. From what I hear Brown is pretty moderate. We need somebody from Mass to enlighten us.

• Forum MVP

happpy, i'm so happy today.

talk about smarts. Massachusetts has finally saw the light.

what the fudge (I don't like to swear and I love me some good fudge)

looks like the guy that ran his campaign like a rock star and blamed the blame game that was elected to be President of this country is being exposed

One thing does upset me... all the other Republicans on this board who are afraid to come forward and say you are proud to be Republican because you don't want to lose your "cool" status in terms of this board (you know who you are)... sad.. you should be happy that you support certain things and not others.. I sure the heck am.

sad. i'm so sad today.

talk about ignorance. massachusetts is the most historically democratic state in the country.

what the fuck.

Guest Lisacat
One thing does upset me... all the other Republicans on this board who are afraid to come forward and say you are proud to be Republican because you don't want to lose your "cool" status in terms of this board (you know who you are)... sad.. you should be happy that you support certain things and not others.. I sure the heck am.

Matt, perhaps its not that the "other Republicans" or even "other democrats" on this board are afraid to come forward....could it possibly be that some folks would rather just leave politics out of their discussions on this board?

To me, I can get politics anywhere I want- internet, TV, at home, etc. I don't need to discuss them here. Of course such discussions on here don't bother or offend me- I just choose not to chime in. I think many other folks probably feel the same way. There used to be a saying "Never discuss religion, sex, or politics in polite company."

I like to treat this board like I treat a show- leave the other shit at the door....we are all deadheads and that is why we are here.

• Forum MVP

You sound just like a politician...

except when you said "s#*%" ... a politician would have said "stuff"... other than that ... yeah pretty much a politician...

Matt, perhaps its not that the "other Republicans" or even "other democrats" on this board are afraid to come forward....could it possibly be that folks would rather just leave politics out of their discussions on this board?

To me, I can get politics anywhere I want- internet, TV, at home, etc. I don't need to discuss them here. Of course such discussions on here don't bother or offend me- I just choose not to chime in. I think many other folks probably feel the same way. There used to be a saying "Never discuss religion, sex, or politics in polite company."

I like to treat this board like I treat a show- leave the other shit at the door....we are all deadheads and that is why we are here.

• Forum MVP

Matt. Why you looking for trouble? Do you really want to bait people into a full blown political discussion. Both the Republicans and Democrats that hold important political and legal positions throughout the U.S. are for the most part seasoned and career politicians. They do not care one way or the other about the betterment of mankind or even America; only about the upcoming election and getting reelected. I would be embarrassed to associate myself with either party or group of politicos at this point. As for starting a new party Dr. V, thats a great idea, but to truly start a third party you would need a lot of financial backing. You can't even get yourself into the race without billions of dollars. I will get on the phone with Warren B maybe he will lend us a few billion.

• Forum MVP

I too subscribe to the "don't discuss" theory of sex, religion, and politics in polite circles. Especially in the barber chair when he is giving you a shave with a straight-edge razor. But I will say that in another time's forgotten space I probably would have been a member of a now greatly endangered species, what used to be termed Rockefeller Republicans. In this day and age I trend non-doctrinaire independent with a deep liberalism on "social" issues and fiscal conservatism. I also support a strong military - there are a lot of people out there who take issue with our lifestyles and habits and sweet reason doesn't seem to reach them.

My lack of posting on such matters is not from a fear of opprobrium from my fellow Starheads but because it is a personal matter which I choose not to share. If asked, I will answer, and I do vote early and often, but I elect not to readily debate those beliefs. Others are certainly free to do so, and many do. That is part of the genius of our system.

But I believe that there is a place for decorum in such discussions. Public discourse in this country is deteriorating at what I find to be an alarming rate. While politics is not yet a contact sport in America, its spiteful and bitterly partisan state mirrors the sad polarization of society in general. This board has generally been a haven from such unpleasantries, but even here there have been occasions to witness a decline in courtesy and consideration.

It is not a rainbows and unicorns world. Refuges are few and far between. While the real world intrudes on us here, and wears us all down daily as we deal with the swamps, let's not bring too much of the muck into here.

In closing, now more than ever:

perotchart.jpg

• Forum MVP
Matt. Why you looking for trouble? Do you really want to bait people into a full blown political discussion. Both the Republicans and Democrats that hold important political and legal positions throughout the U.S. are for the most part seasoned and career politicians. They do not care one way or the other about the betterment of mankind or even America; only about the upcoming election and getting reelected.

Spoken with wisdom beyond your years!

• Forum MVP
Matt, perhaps its not that the "other Republicans" or even "other democrats" on this board are afraid to come forward....could it possibly be that some folks would rather just leave politics out of their discussions on this board?

I think it is difficult to find a place where a wider range of viewpoints can be found than this board. I find it interesting to hear those viewpoints. We are from all different parts of the country and have different backgrounds. What is boring is talking politics with people who think alike. I do not like to allign myself with a particular party for reasons Rick has well stated but am definately a fiscal conservative and social liberal, not very common traits in our congress.

Ugh. I'd just like to point out that I'm not from here. I'm from the state who elected Jesse Ventura and Al Franken.

Coakley ran a terrible campaign, expecting to win with no effort, and she wasn't all that likeable.

Scott Brown is an overgroomed dweeb, who only made a splash thanks to ads that featured his truck about 15 times in 30 seconds. It's a dark grey half-ton, four door Chevy or GMC fullsize, about 4 years old or less, with 200k on it. I know way more about his stupid truck than I do about his politics. That's how his campaign was run. Ugh.

I agree with the above... slowing down the health care bill was the real point. I'm not fully on board with the health care bill myself but I hate to see any republican win after how badly they screwed up the country from 2000-2008.

Guest jazz-man

I HATE politics because it does nothing for PEOPLE, it only feeds it's own selfish desires. IMHO the Republicans only care about corporations and the rich and the Democrats don't have the balls to lead. I'd love a 3rd independant party that cared for WE THE PEOPLE and not about campaign contributors and lobbyists and politics. It's so sad that we keep electing rich people to represent us and they don't! I'd start my own country if I could.

BTW this 'healthcare bill' is not reform, it's bunk. We all deserve National Healthcare, anything less is a sellout.

• Forum MVP

Republican... Democrat... what difference does it make? They're both in the pocket of lobbyists... therefore they are always going to act knowing that all the corporations and companies will be watching their every move. And if they don't like it, they're not gonna get any funding for re-election. Politics has a lot less to do with money and a whole lot with just being plain power hungry.

sad. i'm so sad today.

what the fuck.

Inherent in democracy (and life in general) should be a respect for all, including those with whom we may not agree. Labelling Mass. voters as "ignorant" because we elected the candidate that you didn't hope for is a form of ignorance itself. Democracy worked extremely well - huge turnout in the middle of a January storm, no "hanging chads". The electorate has spoken.

I happen to not think much of either of the 2 candidates, and I do not believe in the "party system" which in today's world is about very little other than money and power.

• Forum MVP

That's a lot of miles on his truck. I assume he is pretty much on top of maintenance...could be that trait swung the Mass. electorate his way.

I know someone else here has a car with enough miles to have been around the world about 10 times, and it still runs like a Timex...

• Forum MVP

I agree with campaign finance reform too, but it does have 1st Amendment implications. And unfortunately, I'm afraid that when it comes to the electorate "we" do get the representation "we" deserve - "we" voted them into office in the first place.

It makes a really good argument for term limits on the national level. We have it for the presidency. Why not extend it to the legislative branch?

• Advisory Board
happpy, i'm so happy today.

talk about smarts. Massachusetts has finally saw the light.

what the fudge (I don't like to swear and I love me some good fudge)

looks like the guy that ran his campaign like a rock star and blamed the blame game that was elected to be President of this country is being exposed

hah. oh my. sorry, matt, not going to bite on the political front, tempting as it may be. i will say, though, that i believe you have quite the knack for making your tirades or whatever you want to call them on this board very personal when they do not need to be. i stated a political opinion, which as far as i know, i am entitled to do. we certainly needn't agree on things, but i'm virtually certain you are capable of expressing your position without mocking mine. i don't think it becomes you -- or anybody else -- to disrespect someone else in this "peaceful" community. it's such an energy drain! so why not leave the personal attack element out of it, yeah? i think it will reflect way better on you, and all of us.

• Forum MVP

Not looking for trouble...

simple question... did I start this thread by basically calling out people who voted by saying the word..."F%@!" .... nope not me..

Just expressing my views ... not in battle but for the common man....

But like Elvis once sang.... "You looking for trouble ? .. you came to the right place"

Matt. Why you looking for trouble? Do you really want to bait people into a full blown political discussion. Both the Republicans and Democrats that hold important political and legal positions throughout the U.S. are for the most part seasoned and career politicians. They do not care one way or the other about the betterment of mankind or even America; only about the upcoming election and getting reelected. I would be embarrassed to associate myself with either party or group of politicos at this point. As for starting a new party Dr. V, thats a great idea, but to truly start a third party you would need a lot of financial backing. You can't even get yourself into the race without billions of dollars. I will get on the phone with Warren B maybe he will lend us a few billion.

Tirade ?? .... "peaceful" .... who called the democratic process nothing but the word.... "F*@#" ..... not me...

hah. oh my. sorry, matt, not going to bite on the political front, tempting as it may be. i will say, though, that i believe you have quite the knack for making your tirades or whatever you want to call them on this board very personal when they do not need to be. i stated a political opinion, which as far as i know, i am entitled to do. we certainly needn't agree on things, but i'm virtually certain you are capable of expressing your position without mocking mine. i don't think it becomes you -- or anybody else -- to disrespect someone else in this "peaceful" community. it's such an energy drain! so why not leave the personal attack element out of it, yeah? i think it will reflect way better on you, and all of us.

Archived