Really, Massachusetts?

blythalala

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rob Eaton
What is your yearly salary and do you also have dependents on your coverage... If I guessed I would say that Rob makes more money than you do a year and has more dependents ...

I am a teacher that makes $42,243 a year.. I have a 2nd job at a grocery store working 20 hours a week to give me "fun" money.... I would say Rob makes more than me as well... I pay $46 dollars a month for health insurance with no dependents...

the system works for me... it is impossible to find a system that works for everyone in terms of income levels, dependents, etc..

"We the People" sometimes does not equal everybody equally...

Teacher Matt I would guess that if you add both your jobs together it would equal my yearly salary..... I am in the %15 percent tax bracket after deductions!

• Forum MVP

how about we come together and find an almost uninhabited place where only true deadheads could live... we'll have a farm and build a stage for music to be played...

we won't need any insurance since they'll be to many good vibes going round to let anyone get hurt or sick.

we can avoid all this corruptness! I don't think our nations leaders and top dogs will stop arguing and creating problems anytime soon.

who's in?

• Forum MVP
how about we come together and find an almost uninhabited place where only true deadheads could live... we'll have a farm and build a stage for music to be played...

we won't need any insurance since they'll be to many good vibes going round to let anyone get hurt or sick.

we can avoid all this corruptness! I don't think our nations leaders and top dogs will stop arguing and creating problems anytime soon.

who's in?

Unfortunately, a movement of that kind would probably have to more widespread than just Deadheads. We do want and need the medicine. It just should cost as much as someone can reasonably afford and no one should be denied what they need. We would need doctors, lawyers, and pharmaceutical people to help foster and support the society. Furthermore, the damage to the environment can not be underestimated and running off into seclusion, although making a small difference, will not help turn things in a positive direction. Unfortunately, I don't really care enough and I plan to be on tour soon.

• Forum MVP

I don't know... it would for us! No one else is changin'

I mean, speaking of the environment.. less then two dozen countries have sent there plans for environmental change (since right know people realize how messed up things have been & are getting)...

the UN made the deadline Jan 31st... lets see how many countries even care enough, or only comply for more money from more wealthy countries...

it all seems so messed up to me! I apologize for the change in topic.

• Advisory Board
The place is called Herdstock....its in Pensyltuckey....

Hey now... I take offense in being grouped into the Pennsyltuckey folk... I live BELOW the Mason-Dixon line... I avoid driving behind anyone with a Penn license plate..

Prescott just get's a little nervous when he gets out to the country... The only jungle he can handle is a concrete one... lol

• Forum MVP
I am here for the Birthday Party....Herdy says I am Special....Matt I just ordered you subscription to Naked Yoga Magazine maybe that will help the aggressive behavior that Blythe did not deserve...Dr. V

dr. vapor, (to protect your true identy)

the fact that you know of this publication, much less give gift subscriptions....

might just ask more questions than it answers.....

yoga%20guy.jpg

please keep me off your gift list......

• Forum MVP
dr. vapor, (to protect your true identy)

the fact that you know of this publication, much less give gift subscriptions....

might just ask more questions than it answers.....

yoga%20guy.jpg

please keep me off your gift list......

And I don't even want to know what that position is called...

I thought you avoided driving with anyone with a PA plate :P

There are several folks who make that their mantra.

• Forum MVP
i had a couple points which have already been aluded to, but i wanted to echo eaton's and rick's statements..

arm's assertion that removal of govt health care regulations will promote competition which will result in lower prices is a fucking joke!! corporations, when left unchecked by the government, will do whatever it takes to maximize profits.. there is no way in hell that if they had no govt regulations to follow or no govt accountability that health care prices would go down.. that's not how capitalism works (which, by the way, is the ultimate root of this and virtually every other social problem in america..)

speaking of capitalism.. i also agree with rick.. i had to drop a catering delivery off at this lawyers home the other day.. he lived in the biggest mansion you could imagine. like 6 luxury cars parked outside.. as i was driving off, i thought "its fucked up that lawyers and doctors, the people who's job is to supposedly help people in extreme need, are some of the wealthiest in our society." now i understand they worked very hard to get there, and they currently work very hard in their jobs, but it is FUCKED UP that their extreme wealth is derived from helping others through the worst and most painful parts of their lives. its fucked up that US legal and medical systems require absorbent amounts of money to receive their services, especially since they are fucking required to live (or in the legal sense, required to live in society)!! in a capitalist society, i have no qualms with a business person making as much money as possible (even though i really do, because the uber-rich are rarely ethical in their dealings..), but i dont think lawyers, doctors, or other professionals that provide necessary-to-survive services should be entitled to immense wealth via their profession. it is a blatant and inherent conflict of interests!

and to all my dr and attorney friends, i still love you (even though your evil) :P

If you think that increased competition will not yield lower prices you are assuming that there is collusion among the various companies offering these services. I would also guess that the attorney you dropped off catering to does not deal with average folk, He/she is getting rich off the rich. There are many doctors and lawyers that do what they do to help people. Public defenders and prosecuting lawyers are not getting rich. There are also many doctors that donate their time to clinics and other places on a volunteer basis. There are hundreds of American doctors on their way to Haiti right now to help out. I wonder how many Euro/Canadian doctors are doing the same?

Guest jazz-man

I believe that position is called "Le Nutcracker".

bs69, Americans do not have the market in helping out other countries cornered. Ever heard of Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres)? That kind of 'patriotic' chest thumping is foolish. The USA didn't hardly come to the aid of New Orleans after Katrina. Here's a song by Jackson Browne about that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REIt4KMz4Nk The assertion that tort reform (limiting the amount a person cans sue for damages) is a significant part of the problem is. as someone said, a red herring that throws us off the trail of the matter at hand.

I had need to consult with a lawyer recently (family matter) and they wanted a $5 grand retainer and charge me $175 an hour. I don't know about others but I find $150 an hour to be outrageous! I did 4 years of post-secondary education like anyone who wants to be a law degree and I fail to see the justification for $150 an hour. So I feel that lawyers don't just rich on the rich, they are equal opportunity people. I don't mean to pick on lawyers just following up on someone's thread.

• Forum MVP
I believe that position is called "Le Nutcracker".

bs69, Americans do not have the market in helping out other countries cornered. Ever heard of Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres)? That kind of 'patriotic' chest thumping is foolish. The USA didn't hardly come to the aid of New Orleans after Katrina. Here's a song by Jackson Browne about that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REIt4KMz4Nk The assertion that tort reform (limiting the amount a person cans sue for damages) is a significant part of the problem is. as someone said, a red herring that throws us off the trail of the matter at hand.

I had need to consult with a lawyer recently (family matter) and they wanted a $5 grand retainer and charge me $175 an hour. I don't know about others but I find $150 an hour to be outrageous! I did 4 years of post-secondary education like anyone who wants to be a law degree and I fail to see the justification for $150 an hour. So I feel that lawyers don't just rich on the rich, they are equal opportunity people. I don't mean to pick on lawyers just following up on someone's thread.

I have heard of Doctors without borders and that reaffirms my position that there are many doctors that are in it to help people and not just to get rich and have status. I am sure the $150.00 per hour has to cover overhead and profit for the firm not just said lawyers pay. Listen, we all chose or are choosing some profession, let's not blame people for making the right choice when we made the wrong one. If I had it to do over again I would be a pharmacist right now. As far as Katrina goes, the government was slow in getting resources down to help people. It was the busloads of volunteers from around the country that came to their aid.

sad. i'm so sad today.

talk about ignorance. massachusetts is the most historically democratic state in the country.

what the fuck.

This is a complete overreaction. Give this guy a chance. We need to get out of the line of thinking that it either has to be Republican or Democrat. How about vote for the person who you think will do the best job? Brown is a moderate, who leans mostly liberal on social issues, but is fiscally conservative. He won because he is a regular guy that is not in the pockets of lobbyists and will not vote soley along party lines. The staunch Republican gaurd really stayed away from this guy until the last few weeks of the campaign. He won this on his own, by a grass roots method of politics and an upbeat campaign. Only at the very end did Republicans like, McCain, Gulliani, and Romney come to his aid.

The Coakley campaign really was not in touch with the people. She ran a terrible campaign focused on negative slander and the people of Mass were tired of it. She is the Attorney General of our state and even the Policeman's union did not support her. She even went down to wine and dine lobbyists just days prior to the election. The Dems screwed this one up on their own.

It did come down to a referendum on health care for some voters, but Brown is not anti healthcare reform, he is against the bill in it's current state.Why force something through jsut to force it through? Why not get it right the first time? We have universal healthcare in our state and the Bill that's up for vote now would screw up some of the the good things we have going in our state now.

By the way, I'm from Mass and I'm not a Republican or Dem. I'm unenrolled, married with three kids and struggle to meet the monetary challanges of life just like everybody. I have a good job, but will never be rich. I want Politicians to listen to what the people want, not what is on their agenda. It was clear that Coakley was just another puppet for the Democratic Machine. I'd rather have someone that is more of an independent thinker. I call em as I see em. I don't vote based on party lines.

in a capitalist society, i have no qualms with a business person making as much money as possible (even though i really do, because the uber-rich are rarely ethical in their dealings..), but i dont think lawyers, doctors, or other professionals that provide necessary-to-survive services should be entitled to immense wealth via their profession. it is a blatant and inherent conflict of interests!

JFolks,

You sound like a communist!

Their are bad apples in every bunch, don't single out the rich.

The Doctors and Lawyers earn their wealth, there are no entitlements! Maybe they would not charge so much, if they did not have to pay so much to become educated. Not only that, they put forth a lot of time and sacrafice to get their position. They should be rewarded for that.

• Advisory Board
This is a complete overreaction. Give this guy a chance. We need to get out of the line of thinking that it either has to be Republican or Democrat. How about vote for the person who you think will do the best job? Brown is a moderate, who leans mostly liberal on social issues, but is fiscally conservative. He won because he is a regular guy that is not in the pockets of lobbyists and will not vote soley along party lines. The staunch Republican gaurd really stayed away from this guy until the last few weeks of the campaign. He won this on his own, by a grass roots method of politics and an upbeat campaign. Only at the very end did Republicans like, McCain, Gulliani, and Romney come to his aid.

The Coakley campaign really was not in touch with the people. She ran a terrible campaign focused on negative slander and the people of Mass were tired of it. She is the Attorney General of our state and even the Policeman's union did not support her. She even went down to wine and dine lobbyists just days prior to the election. The Dems screwed this one up on their own.

It did come down to a referendum on health care for some voters, but Brown is not anti healthcare reform, he is against the bill in it's current state.Why force something through jsut to force it through? Why not get it right the first time? We have universal healthcare in our state and the Bill that's up for vote now would screw up some of the the good things we have going in our state now.

By the way, I'm from Mass and I'm not a Republican or Dem. I'm unenrolled, married with three kids and struggle to meet the monetary challanges of life just like everybody. I have a good job, but will never be rich. I want Politicians to listen to what the people want, not what is on their agenda. It was clear that Coakley was just another puppet for the Democratic Machine. I'd rather have someone that is more of an independent thinker. I call em as I see em. I don't vote based on party lines.

point taken, and respectfully. i also completely agree about coakley; anyone who has been paying even a little bit of attention lately would have to agree that her campaign was a disaster. absolutely, the democrats messed up. i think they probably had to work pretty hard to lose a democratic senate race in massachusetts! i also agree that it's unfortunate the parties have become this polarized. however, i don't think i'm overreacting. did i miss something or has senator-elect brown offered a preferred approach to health care reform? and healthcare is just one issue. republican filibusters can now be used to stop legislation on global warming, clean energy, education, and financial institution regulation, etc...

i stick by my initial insertion that this is NOT a good thing. i, too, by the way, am from mass.

now... yes, dave! how about that gratefulfest? yay.

Archived