Really, Massachusetts?

blythalala

• Forum MVP

Dislike me if you so choose...

but if you have a second... check out me on Facebook or just kick it with me for awhile if you don't know me..

you will see that I am very zen, into yoga, and into peace, into helping, into family, into service to others, into positive energy .. I have devoted my life to teaching youth for 17 years now....

but once again I am a Republican... and if they are bashed on here.. well then I will at my least defend ..... that is the only thing you all can fire back at me about... which I find very odd... almost to the level of jealous ??

OK - my prep period is over and my students are getting ready to come on in my classroom (which by the way around the American Flag is 3 pictures of our current President, one of the current VP, two of Bald Eagles, one of Uncle Sam, and one of the Washington Mall...

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jazz-man

Whatever passed for "democracy" in this Corporate State is not working for the vast majority of poeple. Every year my 'raise' is less than the official inflation rate so I'm losing ground. No bailout for me. There's no lobbyist to try to get me a tax break while wealthy folks get theirs. When I get really into politics it makes me sad and want to go somewhere else. Is there any place on the earth where the rich don't screw working people?

• Forum MVP

I'm a bit younger and not as aware of government and politics... but it seems to me that for as long as I can remember there has always been a million problems that leave most people bummed...

hmmmmm.... I guess the what needs to be happening isn't.

Bob Weir for president 2014.

That's a lot of miles on his truck. I assume he is pretty much on top of maintenance...could be that trait swung the Mass. electorate his way.

I know someone else here has a car with enough miles to have been around the world about 10 times, and it still runs like a Timex...

Looked brand new in the ads. I watch a lot of sports and saw the damn thing about 50 times in under a week.

I was wrong on the size. it's a GMC Canyon, the replacement for the mid-size S10.

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/wp-co...yon-300x198.jpg

• Forum MVP

We could maybe get them in the Senate in '14, if the seats are up for election then. Presidency in '16...

Or fuck it. Just go to a parliamentary system. Couldn't be much worse...votes of "no confidence" would be called about once a week in this country, the way things are going. Robert Weir, MP has a nice ring to it.

• Forum MVP
Dislike me if you so choose...

but if you have a second... check out me on Facebook or just kick it with me for awhile if you don't know me..

you will see that I am very zen, into yoga, and into peace, into helping, into family, into service to others, into positive energy .. I have devoted my life to teaching youth for 17 years now....

but once again I am a Republican... and if they are bashed on here.. well then I will at my least defend ..... that is the only thing you all can fire back at me about... which I find very odd... almost to the level of jealous ??

OK - my prep period is over and my students are getting ready to come on in my classroom (which by the way around the American Flag is 3 pictures of our current President, one of the current VP, two of Bald Eagles, one of Uncle Sam, and one of the Washington Mall...

Don't worry Matt. I like that you express your opinion and I know your good people. I will certainly be dancing with you again soon; out there on the west coast.

And I might have supported Jerry for president, but I'm not sure I want Bobby or Phil in charge. They came out in support of Obama anyway. They probably don't want the job.

• Forum MVP

Campaign finance reform sounds like a great idea, but to be a significant change, the limits would have to be pretty low to level the playing field so that all people from all walks of life would have a chance to run for elected office and the reform would certainly be unconstitutional. To be honest, we should probably stop paying into a system we don't support and work to take care of one another. Its a real shame that people are not satisfied with the simple life that would entail and have been convinced that they want/need blackberries, gps, and ipods. I own two of the three so no I do not pretend to live or practice the life of which I speak. Just a shame that there isn't a more large scale movement of that kind taking place in the U.S. I've spoken with a lot of people and for the most part, we all agree that we want food, shelter, and security. We could take care of providing this for ourselves without any government involvement if the people of this country chose to do so.

(OK - my prep period is over and my students are getting ready to come on in my classroom (which by the way around the American Flag is 3 pictures of our current President, one of the current VP, two of Bald Eagles, one of Uncle Sam, and one of the Washington Mall...)

Yo Matt, no picture of JERRY? WTF? I have him on our family wall, along with all the cousins, brothers, sisters, parents, aunts and uncles. He never knew it but he was/is still a big influence in my life. I believe thats how we all got to this site, right?

(In this day and age I trend non-doctrinaire independent with a deep liberalism on "social" issues and fiscal conservatism. I also support a strong military - there are a lot of people out there who take issue with our lifestyles and habits and sweet reason doesn't seem to reach them.)

Chuck, you should start the new 3rd party! My nephew just spent his 2 week break from flying Kiowa helicopters in Afghanistan with us. Gave us an insight we would never have heard or seen on any media outlet.

Irrespective of party affiliation, I have never been one to believe a one party majority in our government is a good thing. If anything, at least for me, yesterdays outcome was just a reminder of how our system should work, and now perhaps we are back to government by consensus, rather than majority rule. Admitedly consensus can be very elusive to achieve............

Guest Rob Eaton

Well lets just say we now have gridlock again. With the cards lined up before this "special election" we at least had a chance to "TRY" to help some of population. Being one of those that has to purchase his own insurance I can tell you I GET SCREWED. My monthly premium went up to $720 per month from $575 for no reason except they CAN and for that I have a $10,000 deductible with NO prescription benefit. I am on Lipitor and that is another $125 dollars a month. Needless to say I'm disappointed there is no relief for folks like me. So I'm out of pocket $950 a month regardless if I'm sick or not. Now remember I can only deduct a small percentage against my income so I in essence pay for it again! I vote Democratic and am proud of it. I don't judge folks for their religion or their politics as long as they don't judge me for mine! Oh by the way I don't believe in organized religion........

• Forum MVP

In my job I have seen for years the cost of but emergency and long-term medical treatment: bankruptcy. While I have concerns about the currently proposed (and maybe now DOA) effort at "reform," something needs to be done to address that. People are being priced out of the market, ER's are becoming the only means of health care some folks can get, and neo-natal care is falling by the wayside for many. That just sets up human tragedies for the future, and we will all pay a price for that as society at large. At the least there should be national catastrophic health insurance.

I don't know what the answer is, but the current system ain't it.

My opinion In a nutshell what is bringing down the Democrats and Obama is Health Care Reform plain and simple..It's also what cost us the seat in Mass...

25 percent of the Country is completely opposed to any type of Government Run Healthcare even though Government Run Healthcare ALREADY exists in part with Medicare..I don't see the 25 percent that are screaming to the rafters about Government run Healthcare giving back their Medicare coverage...They demagouge the issue..and they do it well..

Those in the middle, moderates, indpendent's SAY they want some sort of health care reform but when push comes to shove and it gets close to passing..they run like scared little rabbits afraid that "Big Brother" will take away their Doctors and they won't have the same care...my opinon is that conclusion is not based on any fact..

Five President's have tackled Health Care and five have failed..the current bill passed by the Senate protects people so that if they lose their jobs they will be covered and will not lose every dime that they have saved...It also protects people with pre-existing conditions from being denied coverage..

It is only my opinion but civilized societies should have those protections in place.. having watched my Mom being diagnosed with terminal Cancer pre-medicare (my dad not employed) and having to purchase supplemental shitty private health insurance after being denied on multiple occassions was not a pretty sight...Not a single GOP Senator voted for the Senate bill.....

The American electorate is on their side for now...in my opinion driven mostly by fear.....

I think it's the wrong side. personally ...and that's why democracy is cool thing..You can elect a multi-racial president 40 years after they had to piss in separate bathrooms in the Segregated South and you can vote a Repbulican Senator in in Ted Kennedy's back yard..

If you don't vote shame on you........(lol)

Bob Weir for president 2014.

You don't really want another guy in office flubbing his lines again do you?

Say what you will about Obama..at least he can speak coherently.....

Plus you would hate for Bobby to go all flashback on you during a conversation with the Kremlin......

In my job I have seen for years the cost of but emergency and long-term medical treatment: bankruptcy.

As someone employed by the Bankruptcy Court (Federal Jurisdiction for those unaware) I can confirm Chuck's statement....Unfortunately the casualty list of the uninsured going broke through lack of insurance and coming through my shop mirrors that of the pacific campaign in World War 2..it ain't pretty..

Teacher Matt...what say you to those with the dilemma faced by Rob, my mother ,countless others....

What is the GOP solution?

Punt?

• Forum MVP

I'm a Republican - libertarian wing. I also believe in organized religion. Hell, I even like the unorganized ones. I'm very happy that the MA election might spell the end of any effort to "reform" healthcare by creating a massive command/control entitlement program. The Republicans aren't missing the message, either. There need to be changes, but it will take incremental reductions in government control which will begin to permit robust competition and will reduce pricing. If I were in Congress, I'd pursue that agenda and seek Democrat support by offering to expand the welfare state to cover the truly destitute who cannot obtain reasonable healthcare services. There is a sensible middle ground and a very good opportunity to experiment on solutions without tossing 1/6 of the entire economy into federal hands. Every program we have that went that direction is exploding with cost overruns and mismanagement, and is teetering on insolvency.

Mainstream polls show that Americans self-identify as liberals (about 22%); moderates (about 38%) and conservatives (34%), and that it's been that way without any material change since Bush I was president straight through Obama's election. There was no ideological shift in '08, but there was a rejection of Bush, the Iraq war and Republican earmark orgies in Congress. If the Brown election says anything, it says that the country remains center-right, by and large. Try to go crazy on either extreme and you get whipped. I would humbly advise Obama to openly rebuke Pelosi, Reid, Frank and Hoyer. Both parties have "yahoo" wings that repulse most Americans. That's the Left's yahoo wing. That crowd's approval rating is almost single digits. Why, oh why, would a massively popular Obama make socializing healthcare his main agenda and then let the lunatics draft the plan? Rookie mistake. I strongly suspect that Obama will take from the MA results a brutal recognition that he is living history. Pelosi is a just a sad little footnote. He needs to put on his big boy pants, go centerist, take over the his own agenda and start leading. I also strongly suspect he's both smart enough, remorseless enough and egocentric enough to start fighting for his own presidency before some Tolkeinesque creature like Reid completely wrecks his place in history. Any successful president has those traits. Where's the Obama that tossed Ayers and Wright to the scrap heap? He might start by firing Rahm and getting some adult help.

As sad as the Left wing is right now, they might take some comfort in the fact that Obama has been given a golden opportunity to achieve something if only he acts boldly. Stay the course and you've got Jimmy Carter II.

Guest Lisacat
does naked yoga magazine actually exist Prescott?

ha OK this thread took a left turn (no pun intended)....

I cannot answer that question, however I just saw something about a Naked Yoga Studio in NYC.... Now, I don't know about all of you, but I think that the last thing I want to see is some shrively old wrinkled man or woman in front of me in the downward dog pose. Just sayin.....

dilemma faced by Rob, my mother ,countless others....

as far as that situation, I agree...its very bad for those who have to purchase their own insurance- I was DENIED insurance 2 years ago when I was an independent contractor...I was 25!!!! And a healthy 25 at that! The only issues I had were a case of acid reflux (which prior to applying I had cured through removing most caffeine and dairy from my diet) and a back injury from when I was 22 which I was no longer seeking treatment for!

Guest Rob Eaton

The idea that the republican party can and would promote fair trade and competition in the insrance industry and thus insurance rates would go down is a fantasy. I have not used my insurance yet every year it goes up and up and up. The only way to get a handle on it for me is to raise the deductible higher each year and get less and less coverage. The establishment is all about profits even at the expense of the population. I would say that health care is one of the places that government should take charge on like most of europe has already. The health and well being of this country is well beyond the standards of most industrial western country's. I would say that one election in Mass does not a mandate make on our current president. What he is trying to do is fix something that's been broke for generations! My two cents.... and my last post on the subject... I hate politics almost as much as religion!

Archived