What Livedownload Show Should I Choose?

Tea

• Forum MVP
Driggs ID....

Lisacat,

Driggs does look like the real deal. I gave it a quick preview and it sounds VERY nice. Does this recommendation come from your attendance there or do you have it?

Guest Lisacat
Lisacat,

Driggs does look like the real deal. I gave it a quick preview and it sounds VERY nice. Does this recommendation come from your attendance there or do you have it?

I was there...(I also have the recording but haven't listened to much of it as its not burned yet and I am still boycotting ipods).

But, yes, I saw well probably more than a handful of shows in 09 and this one definitely comes out close to the top....imagine being in the middle of nowhere on a huge field with the grand tetons behind you, the sun setting behind the stage, a thousand people with ALL good vibes (except for the kid who spilled the beer on rick)....it was my favorite outdoor show I've attended. The music was definitely playin the band that night....

Would LOVE to go back again...I would dream of 2 nights there...I was amazed that there were 1000 people there on a Wed night!

5293_1122915472125_1204241335_297052_3346246_n.jpg

5293_1122915432124_1204241335_297051_152500_n.jpg

5293_1122915632129_1204241335_297056_2768509_n.jpg

5293_1122915192118_1204241335_297045_5785329_n.jpg

5293_1122915112116_1204241335_297043_7511152_n.jpg

• Forum MVP
Lisacat,

For me, this was, despite beer on head, the most moving musical experience I had in the Summer of 09. Although I don't make it to a lot of shows and I have no idea what I was doing in the middle of nowhere. As for JK last show, I still prefer the 2nd to last to the last one. You should check it out. Sound quality is decent. Although, recordings don't measure up to the real thing, in my opinion, the show is worth listening to even if you weren't there.

Guest deadheadmike
I was there...(I also have the recording but haven't listened to much of it as its not burned yet and I am still boycotting ipods).

But, yes, I saw well probably more than a handful of shows in 09 and this one definitely comes out close to the top....imagine being in the middle of nowhere on a huge field with the grand tetons behind you, the sun setting behind the stage, a thousand people with ALL good vibes (except for the kid who spilled the beer on rick)....it was my favorite outdoor show I've attended. The music was definitely playin the band that night....

Would LOVE to go back again...I would dream of 2 nights there...I was amazed that there were 1000 people there on a Wed night!

5293_1122915472125_1204241335_297052_3346246_n.jpg

5293_1122915432124_1204241335_297051_152500_n.jpg

5293_1122915632129_1204241335_297056_2768509_n.jpg

5293_1122915192118_1204241335_297045_5785329_n.jpg

5293_1122915112116_1204241335_297043_7511152_n.jpg

Still kicking myself for not continuing on that run after Denver ...

Does DSO ever improvise an elective setlist during the show? Or do they always draw up a setlist beforehand?

I find myself digging the elective shows quite a bit and would really like to hear a recording of one that involved no pre-planned setlist....anybody have any suggestions?

I'm groovin' 5/30/05 right now....Lisa nails 'Stir It Up'

"I'm a King Bee" is fresh too...diggin' the vocals.

Guest deadheadmike
Mike sometimes you have to go home. You were missed and were there in spirit. But yes, you should still be kicking yourself.

Thanks Rick , your moral support is always appreciated ... :huh::lol::dsorocks:

• Advisory Board
Does DSO ever improvise an elective setlist during the show? Or do they always draw up a setlist beforehand?

I find myself digging the elective shows quite a bit and would really like to hear a recording of one that involved no pre-planned setlist....anybody have any suggestions?

I'm groovin' 5/30/05 right now....Lisa nails 'Stir It Up'

"I'm a King Bee" is fresh too...diggin' the vocals.

DSO's elective setlists have for the most part, been "fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants" up until recently. Before Mattson came into the picture, the electives were always "on-the-fly". I believe they talked about song selection before the show, and during setbreak, but nothing was written in stone. Now-a-days, the elective shows are written before the show starts.

FWIW, I was at this show, actually I did the entire tour from start to finish, and this was one of the top 3 shows I saw that tour... Toad's Place sucks balls, but the show was SMOKING!

Guest Rob Eaton

FYI Herdy is wrong we don't write our set lists...... Sorry Donkey you have bad info! Our elective sets have always been a set of ideas. we go into the show knowing what we might do or what we want to do and it all can change at any moment. Whatever we know is only as good as the minute we are in!

• Advisory Board
FYI Herdy is wrong we don't write our set lists...... Sorry Donkey you have bad info! Our elective sets have always been a set of ideas. we go into the show knowing what we might do or what we want to do and it all can change at any moment. Whatever we know is only as good as the minute we are in!

Well I know you've always did them on a "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" with no setlist written in stone, if you read my last post thoroughly. BUT I did see (I didn't look at it) the NYE setlists were written down, which is why I ASSUMED that is how y'all do it now... When JK was with us, I never saw anything that looked like a setlist written down when elective shows were played, and since NYE was my first Mattson Elective show, I assumed that's how you did it now... and if I remember correctly, that was also the case on JamCruise with a setlist being written down... Now I don't know if it was just a list of songs you were planning on playing, but I did see copies of something being handed out with songs you played in the Theater...

I should of written 'assumed' on my last post, but I didn't... So I'm not totally wrong...

Very nice...I've only had the chance to see one elective show and it was a couple of years ago in Atlanta, GA at the Variety Playhouse. The first night you guys did 5/5/77 and the second night was an elective...Nothin left to do but smile when I heard Alabama Getaway and saw Lisa was onstage...I knew we were in for a silky night. There was no break in the music during the second set...I remember we got an "Alligator" that stole my face and took it into the swamp...kazoos included...craziness. AH! "Why Don't we do it in the Road"!!! damn, I'm, rambling...VERY good show.

• Forum MVP
Ha!

it WAS 2/7/09!!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one....and I thought it was longer than a year ago..Shit! It hasn't even been a year yet

where does the time go?

http://www.archive.org/details/dso2009-02-07.mg210.flac16

That Brokedown had the whole place in eachother's arms...GREAT show.

And don't forget the Cornmeal openers at the Variety those two nights!

• Forum MVP

Something about the set lists being written down beforehand that just feels wrong.

I really don't like it.

I am not even sure how the GD did it. It was clear they chose what to play in the first set 'on the go' but for the second set, I heard that Phil and Garcia got together at half-time and came up with a list--however not written in stone that list was. However, when I think about this now, they needed Weir's input too...it's hard to imagine those three finding the time and desire to talk about it at every half-time of every show. My guess is they all came up with something for the pre-drums either right before coming on stage or while on stage.

Although I do remember hearing some recording of Billy or someone reading the list (can't remember if it was just the pre-drums of the wholse set) when they got ear monitors. They had some pretty funny names for the songs too (could have been Vince).

.....with Rob sitting in on keys the second night for a few songs.

Cornmeal's a smokin' band...I remember having a nice chat with Allie and Barraco after the Saturday show in the lot. We drove from AR for that run and had a blast...stayed at the HIGHland INN. For some reason the whole hotel smelled wonderful at night ;)

• Forum MVP
.....with Rob sitting in on keys the second night for a few songs.

Cornmeal's a smokin' band...I remember having a nice chat with Allie and Barraco after the Saturday show in the lot. We drove from AR for that run and had a blast...stayed at the HIGHland INN. For some reason the whole hotel smelled wonderful at night ;)

The Highland is a classic all right. Where at in AR? I have a certain affinity for the Wonder State myself...

Archived