Weir Interview

sonomajon

If you put yourself on the waiting list for a time, there is a decent chance you will get a table. It's worked for us couple times.

I'm totally willing to be anything I own too...I don't think we own our animals, so those are off limits.

But my car is fair game...as well as my collection, stereo and soul.

So...if you win, I will bring all of the above to the French Laundry or the restaurant of your choosing.

Now we just have to ge in contact with Bobby. I could stake out the Whole Foods in Mill Valley...

maybe I can help... :)

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

Funny coincidence--I came across this pic of Bob and bluegrass singer Gillian Welch recently:

Coming from a hardcore bluegrass background myself, the last thing I would ever call Gillian is a 'bluegrass singer'. Maybe an occasional dabbler perhaps, but...

Didn't realize Bobby had any bluegrass roots. Jerry certainly did, but Bobby?

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

I've always felt the country influence in Bobby, especially with his affinity to the cowboy songs. I don't think he was kidding.

I agree. I don't think Bobby is kidding about at least the desire to do a country record. He probably had more of the classic country vibe than anybody in the early GD. Look back his duets with John Dawson in the early NRPS sets for example... That was diluted over the years, but you don't lose the love for a genre when you are as into it as he once was. Also, the trend for older musicians to explore outside of their comfort zones in the last few years toward traditional forms has been pretty obvious. There has been a lot of cross-polination in the last 15 years or so. You look at people like Jorma Kaukonen with 'Blue Country Heart', Dolly Parton and Ricky Skaggs returning to bluegrass, Jack White producing and performing with the likes of Loretta Lynn, and the unlikely pairing of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss...

This is an interesting time for music in general. Go Bobby go!

Coming from a hardcore bluegrass background myself, the last thing I would ever call Gillian is a 'bluegrass singer'. Maybe an occasional dabbler perhaps, but...

Agreed, but she is very commonly referred to as a "bluegrass artist", so I continued the rather inaccurate description. Wikipedia has a much better description of her rather unique music:al style:

Gillian Howard Welch (born October 2, 1967 in New York City) is an American singer-songwriter. She performs with her musical partner, guitarist David Rawlings. Their sparse and dark musical style combines elements of Appalachian music, bluegrass, and Americana described by The New Yorker as "at once innovative and obliquely reminiscent of past rural forms".

Musical style

Welch and Rawlings incorporate elements of early twentieth century music such as old time, classic country, gospel and traditional bluegrass, combined with modern elements of rhythm and blues, rock 'n' roll, jazz, and punk rock.[1] Alec Wilkinson of The New Yorker wrote that their musical style is "not easily classified

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

Agreed, but she is very commonly referred to as a "bluegrass artist"

Well, it's the first I've heard the connection. Generally I hear her compared with old time and early country such as the Carter Family.

I adhere to the strict bluegrass definition of Guitar, Mandolin, Banjo, Fiddle, and Bass...

As Monroe might say, the rest is "No part of nuthin'!" ;)

As Monroe might say, the rest is "No part of nuthin'!" ;)

Looks like "No part of nuthin'!" is pretty much what we'll get if we're right, having to divide the single booty among, so far, Sonomajon, Neutrino, Sister Bluebird, Mind of a Squirrel, and Kieu.

If David's right, Sister Bluebird has put down anything I own, which effectively is pretty much nuthin' too, so the stakes are quite fair.

Anyone else who cares to join: you don't have to wait for your deal to come 'round, because it will cost nothing to win, and even less to lose... :lol:

Archived