Naveta Festival...

VincentPuleo

Ya' gotta be kidding me.....I heard of wearing rose colored glasses, but some around here are wearing blinders! There's nothing wrong with working your ass off (touring) & making money along the way....Why is that concept so hard to accept?The byproduct is spreading GD music to the masses-IMHO it ain't the other way around!

:icon14::cheers:

Like I said it was a little bit glib BUT you and I are not so far apart at all. Just cuz one is getting paid for the work doesn't negate that one chooses one's work because one loves it, believes in it, and derives some kind of satisfaction doing it. Many aren't so lucky to choose their work but we all try. I bet we all can agree that both bands have chosen their work because they all are in it to deliver the music.

My reference to coopetition certainly is not correct because (one assumes) they haven't set down together and made their touring schedules dovetail, which is why I said it was glib.

BUT, as it happens their touring schedules thus far dovetail quite nicely, even if unintentionally. Furthurmore, it actually is a fact that touring band managements take steps when planning touring schedules to ensure that they have the best chance at a good turnout, which in this case would mean these two bands kinda steering clear of each other. That stuff does actually happen, but it usually is just a first-come-first-serve type thing as opposed to collaborative.

I just thought that "coopetition" was a fun counterpoint to contemplate.

Thanks for being so interested in it. I am quite flattered that it got so much attention and I hope you don't mind my long-windedness.

;)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for straightening me out on this ...I used to think Nike & Rebock were in competion for sales(profit),never considering it may be a coopetition relationship where their only concerns are provide high quality footwear for all the atheletes in the world!

I don't agree that this analogy fits. People are only going to buy a certain fixed number of shoes per year, so Nike and Reebok are competing for a bigger percentage of a fixed market. Deadhead dollars are an expandable market - most of us will patronize all the shows in a year that we are able to attend, whether Dead-related bands play 20 times in the area or just two. The percentage of Heads that tour with either band and attend every show is fairly small IMHO, not enough to support either band even if there were just one band touring.

Likewise for the festival conflict... the number of heads who would have attended both festivals if they were on different weekends is fairly small - not enough to make or break either festival.

• Forum MVP

I don't agree that this analogy fits. People are only going to buy a certain fixed number of shoes per year, so Nike and Reebok are competing for a bigger percentage of a fixed market. Deadhead dollars are an expandable market - most of us will patronize all the shows in a year that we are able to attend, whether Dead-related bands play 20 times in the area or just two. The percentage of Heads that tour with either band and attend every show is fairly small IMHO, not enough to support either band even if there were just one band touring.

Likewise for the festival conflict... the number of heads who would have attended both festivals if they were on different weekends is fairly small - not enough to make or break either festival.

I agree with that the percentage that tour and atend every show or large portions of tours is small, but I would argue its larger than you think, especially in the summer and if you include weekend warriors like Chuck. I happen to think a lot of people would like to do boh Gratefulfest and Nateva. I think the Nateva line-up looks great with more additions to come. I would certainly go if it wasn't the same weekend as Gratefulfest. I had the same feelings about Rothbury last year.

However, neither festival really threatens my Grateulfest attendance because I believe Gratefulfest is the best festival out there.

• Forum MVP

And oh yeah, about the competition.

If we are talking strictly dollars and cents, the outcome of this for DSO has yet to be determined financially. All bands that tour regularly and play live music compete for the money of people that enjoy music and go to concerts. So, of course, two band playing the same music are going to be competing in the short term over the same dollars. However, in the long run, Furthur may increase the size of the fan base of those that search for the sound and eventually find DSO. I first found recrodings. Then I went to see the Phil and Friends, The Dead, and Ratdog. Finally, I found DSO and no one plays GD better in my opinion. Just like I've seen Phsh pull kids off DSO tour; Furthur will probably do the same when they are touring at the same time, but it may have a positive effect when only DSO is touring and after Furthur ceases to exist. I think the biggest problem facing concert attendance is a sluggish economy and high unemployment rates coupled with once again rising oil and gas prices, but I will save that for the politics forum.

If we can move away from money, everyone is moving forward as usual. The level of GD music being played has increased with Furthur outperforming Ratdog and Phil and Friends and with DSO not missing a beat and keeping the spirit of true to form GD music alive.

Those playing the music seem to be enjoying themselves. Bobby, Phil, JK and the rest of Furthur look ike they are loving their new project.

DSO with JM look to be enjoying themelves and loose on stage together while playing extremely tight. They will only get better with Jeff signed on for the summer.

All I can say, is go see whichever band tickles your fancy as often as as you can and deadicate yourself to making it to as many show as possible to enjoy the magic of the music and both bands will do well while they coexist. Hae fun like those playing the music and enjoy yourself. Sorry for long post. I'm up at 5 AM and I should be asleep.

• Forum MVP

You should come on tour with DSO in late May and June. Do the whole thing, not just a few shows. I'm just saying; you might really like it.

A full tour? I don't think I would do that. By around the 5th show...the time repeats would be coming up, I think I would nee a break. I don't think I would be able to really fully enjoy many of the shows to their full extent if I went on a full tour.

I never did full tours with the GD either...mostly because of school and work. I did a couple tours almost in their entirety but those were the exceptions and there were some psychedelic substances used that probably helped.

Sure, life gets in the way and responsibilities and all that, but even if it didn't, I don't think I would sign up for a full tour--but that's obviously not everyone. :)

Archived