Happy Birthday Phil..

VincentPuleo

• Forum MVP

Steve Molitz, Chris Robinson, Jackie Greene sat in for acoustic set..

Set i:

Ripple (BW)

Lazy River Road (JK)

(Bobby says were gonna do yet another tune in the key of G)

Peggy-O (CR)

Two Souls in Communion (CR)

Brokedown Palace (JG)

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (BW)

They Love Each Other (CR)

Mountains of the Moon (PL)

Attics of My Life (All)

Mountains>Attics Of My Life... awesome..

Set ii:

Scarlet Begonias (JG)

Minglewood Blues (BW)

Easy Wind (CR)>

New Speedway Boogie (JG)

Viola Lee Blues V1 (All)>

High Time (CR)>

Caution Jam>

Viola Lee Blues V2 (All)>

Hard To Handle (CR)

Viola Lee Blues V3 (All)>

Like A Rolling Stone (CR)>

Sugaree (CR)

Set lll:

Not Fade Away Jam (parade of floats)>

Happy Birthday, Dear Phil! (ballon drop)>

Not Fade Jam)>

meltdown>

Playin in the Band (BW)>

Other One Jam>

Jam>

St. Stephen (All)>

Other One>

Elevator (great Particle song, Steve Molitz's band)>

Unbroken Chain>

Comes a Time (CR)>

Cream Puff War (CR)>

Franklin's Tower (PL)

Donor Rap

Johnny B. Goode (BW)

At the end Phil says it was his "best birthday ever".. Very excited to hear this. especially the acoustic set. A little confused on why John only sang one song in a three set show..

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

The show ended at 2 AM. 3 fat sets plus a parade and Happy Birthday Phil quasi set.

I think the only song JK sang was Lazy River Road, 2nd tune of the night. But CR and JG did a good job for the most part on their vocal leads.

2 completely beautiful JK jams during Comes A Time. Also a shredded final Sugaree jam by JK.

Phil was great, and had many fine moments. He rose to the occasion of is 70th!

you wonder why John only sang one song in a three set show..it's because all he is to furthur is a hired gun. It was obvious at the Portland show. After reading funkbass's review of that show I wondered if we went to the same concert. "amazing" it wasn't .One word to describe a lot of these Furthur posts "Lame". Peace

• Forum MVP

you wonder why John only sang one song in a three set show..it's because all he is to furthur is a hired gun. It was obvious at the Portland show. After reading funkbass's review of that show I wondered if we went to the same concert. "amazing" it wasn't .One word to describe a lot of these Furthur posts "Lame". Peace

I haven't read Funky's review but I am much more inclined to believe his report.

But it seems like you learned something and that is you should probably stay away from seeing this band any more...as well as opening these 'lame" Furthur posts.

I have mixed feeling about the show. I had kind of expected a larger number of guests standing in for a few songs--mixed in with some pure Furthur playing. I didn't expect Jackie Greene, et al to be up there the whole long evening. I had also kind of expected that Mickey and Billy would bury the hatchet for one night and we might witness the likely last performance of all four together. Hell--I had even hoped Bruce Hornsby or Dylan might show up, or perhaps Hot Tuna. They did play a number of Dylan songs. Perhaps I was just getting carried away with the fantasy of what could happen.

I thought that JG and CR did a very good job, but to be honest, I got tired of them being onstage almost the whole long evening. On the postive side, we didn't have to listen to Phil and Bob's vocals on some songs. CR has a very nice voice, and he seemed to know the songs pretty well.. I won't hide the fact that I was happy to not hear :Phil's woofing or Bobby's Shatnerizing on some of the songs JG was in fine form on guitar, and I was more impressed with his playing than in the few previous P&F shows I have seen that he was involved with. Still, I eventually was just hoping that CR and JG would put down their guitars, take a bow and leave the stage for some furthur music with the normal band members. Having two more guitars competing with JK just muddled up the mix for me at times.

As previously mentioned, it is indeed completely odd how little JK's vocal talents were put on display. I can't help but wonder if Phil did not want his special evening upstaged by the man who really gets the auditorium screaming. Maybe Jill made up the setlist and vocals. The few times JK was allowed to dominate the stage, such as Comes a Time and Sugeree were the times the place was going apeshit. the most. Chimenti was superb all night as I have now expected him to be. I should also mention the drumming on the third set. I think that was John Molo playing next to Russo. Those two were a complete beast!!!

Anyway, it was a fun evening, but for those who were not there, I would have to say that you did not miss anything spectacular. The last two Furthur shows at the civic on Dec 30-31 were much better IMO.

I haven't read Funky's review but I am much more inclined to believe his report.

But it seems like you learned something and that is you should probably stay away from seeing this band any more...as well as opening these 'lame" Furthur posts.

well then read the post. he did leave out how west la fade away was buchered by bobbys singing as well as his amount of spray he produced. As far as lame goes, maybe a poor choice of words, but what do you call cutting and pasting set lists from other boards and posting numerous pictures not taken by yourself. I liked the show if you read my post about it. I would go see them again. Again all John is to Furthur is an employee. I like him better with DSO. I responded because vp wondered why John only sang one song in a three set show.

That was a Phil and Friends show for the most part...Really liked the first set but it was all downhill for me after that...too many guitars...and while I'm complaining...the civic center sucks...in need of a DSO fix after that!

• Forum MVP

Yes, CR dominated the vocals, but largely to good effect. It was a touch disconcerting that he didn't really know the songs without constant use of the lyrics sheets, but he made the best of it and it came off fine. Jackie sounded fabulous on Brokedown palace.

I thought the acoustic set had a beautiful feel and flow to it. really liked it a lot. Attics was gorgeous, Mountains was fanatstic. Weir was at his absolute finest for Hard Rain.

Come 2nd set, I agree with Neutrino - they needed to get some of those guitars off the stage. In fact all of them. One thing about the 2nd set that really worked for me was the single drumming by Russo (lane was the sole drummer for set 1, Molo joined Russo for set 3.

Phil had 2 particular blow away moments. 1st was the intro into the second section of Viola Lee, 2nd was the intro the Other One. In general, he was fantastic most of the night and definitely better than he was at Barton Hall. There were times in set 3 that it seemed the band was getting a touch of of sync, particularly during St Stephen.

I had fun despite the watering down of JK (but to reiterate, JK finest moments were as good as he'll play) and the marathon on the floor (I was about 8 people back from JK). I am way too old to suffer through 6 hours of that anymore!

• Forum MVP

...too many guitars......

That's exactly what I texted John A at halftime!

bobbys singing as well as his amount of spray he produced.

I remember a time when it was like a badge of honor if you happened to get sprayed by Weir.

And I'm not that old!

• Forum MVP

First set, a treat- I was impressed by cr and jg. I was optimistic after JK did lazy river road. (I should have known better.) What guitar was jk playing?

Second set, again still having a good time but I was just wishing cr would go away. Thought sugaree was good but not great. JK's first solo was weak, he seemed tenative, probably because of too many guitars on stage. Speedway was fantastic.

Third set- I was done with cr, he' has an amazing voice but after four hours of him, I wanted him gone. First time I ever left early, during comes a time, probably my favorite jerry ballad, I was heartbroken that jk' didn't get the nod.

I knew this show was going to be littered with special guests but thought JK would get his place to shine. I was wrong, I'm glad i went.

I need to be reminded to temper my expectations....

I must admit that you guys are making me feel less heartbroken about not having been there. I live all the way in central New York, but was still strongly considering making the trip. In the end, I wasn't able to go, but my good friend Alyson was. While I was happy for her, I was also soooooo upset that I missed it after reading the set list this morning. On paper, it seemed absolutely dynamite, and I was kicking myself all day long. A small part of me wondered if JG and CR being on stage all night messed with the chemistry of the band, or if the "too many guitars" effect (last heard on 2003 Dead tour) reared its ugly head.

As I sit here and read the posts of some of you that actually went, it seems both my suspicions were/are confirmed. I'm sure it was still a killer show and a real good time, and I'm so happy that Phillip was able to ring in his 70th birthday on stage with good friends...But again, a small, selfish part of me is relieved to read that it was NOT, in fact, the be-all, end-all Furthur show that it appeared to be on paper. Or maybe I'm still just trying to make myself feel better about missing such a monster set.

In any case: Thanks, folks, for talking me off the "I can't believe I missed that!" ledge.

First set, a treat- I was impressed by cr and jg. I was optimistic after JK did lazy river road. (I should have known better.) What guitar was jk playing?

Second set, again still having a good time but I was just wishing cr would go away. Thought sugaree was good but not great. JK's first solo was weak, he seemed tenative, probably because of too many guitars on stage. Speedway was fantastic.

Third set- I was done with cr, he' has an amazing voice but after four hours of him, I wanted him gone. First time I ever left early, during comes a time, probably my favorite jerry ballad, I was heartbroken that jk' didn't get the nod.

I knew this show was going to be littered with special guests but thought JK would get his place to shine. I was wrong, I'm glad i went.

I need to be reminded to temper my expectations....

Sounds like your experience was pretty identical to mine. However, I only wish the show HAD been littered with special guests. Then they could each show up, play a few songs, and get off the stage. The problem was the few that were there wouldn't go away!! When CR and JG showed up YET AGAIN for the third set I was getting exasperated. They had overstayed their welcome in my view, but hey--it's Phil's party. I wanted to hear JK rip the place apart--not two extra guitars and a second keyboard player getting in each others way hour after hour. I know --I'm making it sound way worse than it was. It was a fine show , but it could have been so much more. The old addage "Less is more" applies here. I guess I'd have to say my favorite guest of the evening was John Molo. He and Russo were like a well-oiled machine during the third set and I was digging it.

I too left a little early. We stayed until near the end of Creampuff War and then made a beeline for the Civic Center parking garage. Didn't want to spend the next hour breathing exhaust while trying to get the hell out of there from the lower level. It was actually pretty bad even then, so I would imagine it was a nightmare half an hour later.

Guest lost sailor

THEY'RE SELLING POSTCARDS OF THE HANGING...........I hope JK returns from desolation row in good spirits. -and you have to believe that he will, considering his deadication to the fans. I kept thinking it would be announced that he has a case of the flu, or something along those lines that would prevent him from singing, but apparently, that's not the case. It was Phil's birthday and lord knows he deserves to call the tune. However, the Grateful Dead is a family of sorts, and in my opinion JK was most likely the only person on the planet capable of restoring the "Dead- Vibe" to the fever pitch that currently exists. Warren Haynes is one of the best guitar players in the world, but as has been previously stated, " he plays blues- not martian". JG and CR don't speak martian either, although they do put forth a worthy effort. The bumpersticker is correct : "The Grateful Dead aren't the best at what they do - they're the only ones who do it". So why snub the fuel that feeds the fire? I'm sure John is nothing but appreciative of his good fortune and is too big a person to let this affect him. I for one, think it was disrespectful- they could have let him sing 3 or 4 songs without slighting the guests in order to ensure that no ones' feelings got hurt - ( both fans and bandmembers). I have only seen 2 DSO shows.. I saw Jerry over 250 times, so I understand that JK is not Garcia- (for younger heads who want to hear some guitar genius, listen to the unbelievable wah solo in Estimated profit- Red Rocks 78', or Playin' in the band- 12-31-76 from the cow palace) So, Bob and Phil, if you make John "feel like a stranger", he may just get the" walking blues"- if that happens, everyone loses. As I stated earlier, the Grateful Dead is an extended family. Treat John like family, or just quit- cause that's the only way this band will ever come close to reaching the bar that it ,itself placed so high decades ago. The Dec.30th & new years eve shows were dripping with an energy that everyone (including myself) believed to be gone for good. Those were pretty much the only shows since the early 90's that actually rocked . Big shout out to Crazy Chester and the rest of the crew ! Peace.....

Guest crazy digits

THEY'RE SELLING POSTCARDS OF THE HANGING...........I hope JK returns from desolation row in good spirits. -and you have to believe that he will, considering his deadication to the fans. I kept thinking it would be announced that he has a case of the flu, or something along those lines that would prevent him from singing, but apparently, that's not the case. It was Phil's birthday and lord knows he deserves to call the tune. However, the Grateful Dead is a family of sorts, and in my opinion JK was most likely the only person on the planet capable of restoring the "Dead- Vibe" to the fever pitch that currently exists. Warren Haynes is one of the best guitar players in the world, but as has been previously stated, " he plays blues- not martian". JG and CR don't speak martian either, although they do put forth a worthy effort. The bumpersticker is correct : "The Grateful Dead aren't the best at what they do - they're the only ones who do it". So why snub the fuel that feeds the fire? I'm sure John is nothing but appreciative of his good fortune and is too big a person to let this affect him. I for one, think it was disrespectful- they could have let him sing 3 or 4 songs without slighting the guests in order to ensure that no ones' feelings got hurt - ( both fans and bandmembers). I have only seen 2 DSO shows.. I saw Jerry over 250 times, so I understand that JK is not Garcia- (for younger heads who want to hear some guitar genius, listen to the unbelievable wah solo in Estimated profit- Red Rocks 78', or Playin' in the band- 1-31-76 from the cow palace) So, Bob and Phil, if you make John "feel like a stranger", he may just get the" walking blues"- if that happens, everyone loses. As I stated earlier, the Grateful Dead is an extended family. Treat John like family, or just quit- cause that's the only way this band will ever come close to reaching the bar that it ,itself placed so high decades ago. The Dec.30th & new years eve shows were dripping with an energy that everyone (including myself) believed to be gone for good. Those were pretty much the only shows since the early 90's that actually rocked . Big shout out to Crazy Chester and the rest of the crew ! Peace.....

You put a lot of thought into your post. You nailed it right on the head!

I have remained on the sideline for this one because I knew that I could not eloquently convey my thoughts on this. I will say I am very glad I didn't go to this PHIL birthday show. I am one who would not see this new band Furthur if JK wasn't in the mix.

THEY'RE SELLING POSTCARDS OF THE HANGING...........I hope JK returns from desolation row in good spirits. -and you have to believe that he will, considering his deadication to the fans. I kept thinking it would be announced that he has a case of the flu, or something along those lines that would prevent him from singing, but apparently, that's not the case. It was Phil's birthday and lord knows he deserves to call the tune. However, the Grateful Dead is a family of sorts, and in my opinion JK was most likely the only person on the planet capable of restoring the "Dead- Vibe" to the fever pitch that currently exists. Warren Haynes is one of the best guitar players in the world, but as has been previously stated, " he plays blues- not martian". JG and CR don't speak martian either, although they do put forth a worthy effort. The bumpersticker is correct : "The Grateful Dead aren't the best at what they do - they're the only ones who do it". So why snub the fuel that feeds the fire? I'm sure John is nothing but appreciative of his good fortune and is too big a person to let this affect him. I for one, think it was disrespectful- they could have let him sing 3 or 4 songs without slighting the guests in order to ensure that no ones' feelings got hurt - ( both fans and bandmembers). I have only seen 2 DSO shows.. I saw Jerry over 250 times, so I understand that JK is not Garcia- (for younger heads who want to hear some guitar genius, listen to the unbelievable wah solo in Estimated profit- Red Rocks 78', or Playin' in the band- 1-31-76 from the cow palace) So, Bob and Phil, if you make John "feel like a stranger", he may just get the" walking blues"- if that happens, everyone loses. As I stated earlier, the Grateful Dead is an extended family. Treat John like family, or just quit- cause that's the only way this band will ever come close to reaching the bar that it ,itself placed so high decades ago. The Dec.30th & new years eve shows were dripping with an energy that everyone (including myself) believed to be gone for good. Those were pretty much the only shows since the early 90's that actually rocked . Big shout out to Crazy Chester and the rest of the crew ! Peace.....

Nice post...I too feel like JK was dissed...If Phil wanted to showcase Furthur he totally blew it...If I knew the show was going to be a CR and JG showcase I would have stayed home...I know many people (myself included) who walked out when it wasn't a pure furthur set 3...The show left me with a very bad taste in my mouth...i'm sure DSO will cleanse my palette next month...

• Forum MVP

Much as it's true that this show needed at least a set of just Furthur, at the end of the night I think John just needed to take the vocals on Comes A Time and all would have ended well. Alas, it wasn't to be, and all the comments about him being overly silenced are on the mark. Comes A Time just has too delicate a balance between vocals and lead guitar for two players to be sharing these duties. You would think Phil would understand this as well as anybody. For example, the interplay between the final note of the center jam and the line "from day to day" are essentially woven together. Chris Robinson just isn't sufficiently under hood of this song to embrace that delicacy.

This aside, I thought CR and JG did well with most everything, and it's not like Bobby did more than 1 or 2 songs per set either. At least the guests kept Weir from over stepping his bounds!

The extra guitars are another matter. It's a shame they dominated the show to the extend they did.

Guest lost sailor

Much as it's true that this show needed at least a set of just Furthur, at the end of the night I think John just needed to take the vocals on Comes A Time and all would have ended well. Alas, it wasn't to be, and all the comments about him being overly silenced are on the mark. Comes A Time just has too delicate a balance between vocals and lead guitar for two players to be sharing these duties. You would think Phil would understand this as well as anybody. For example, the interplay between the final note of the center jam and the line "from day to day" are essentially woven together. Chris Robinson just isn't sufficiently under hood of this song to embrace that delicacy.

This aside, I thought CR and JG did well with most everything, and it's not like Bobby did more than 1 or 2 songs per set either. At least the guests kept Weir from over stepping his bounds!

The extra guitars are another matter. It's a shame they dominated the show to the extend they did.

You hit the nail right on the head, I agree with everything you said...especially the "Comes a time" commentary

Guest lost sailor

Nice post...I too feel like JK was dissed...If Phil wanted to showcase Furthur he totally blew it...If I knew the show was going to be a CR and JG showcase I would have stayed home...I know many people (myself included) who walked out when it wasn't a pure furthur set 3...The show left me with a very bad taste in my mouth...i'm sure DSO will cleanse my palette next month...

Isn't it cool how DSO is becomming more and more popular even after John left. You have to figure that after JK announced his retirement from the band, the remaining members had to be tripping out a little over what the future might hold. I'm so happy for them and I am fairly certain their popularity will continue to grow as time goes on. Every time I would bring up the Birthday Bash last week prior to the show- most people I talked to were more excited about DSO comming to town. Cleanse away !!!!!! p.s. -the Mountain Aire shows 5-28, 29,30 with camping sounds like things are going to get back on track for Furthur as well.

Guest lost sailor

I am commenting on my own posting. I just wanted to say that it was not my intention to be overly critical in regards to the JK vocal omission-- You're either on the bus or you're not...........and if you ever were, you've been disappointed more times than you can remember, so that's nothing new.. I guess I was just surprised at the amount of time the special guests spent performing--- considering the most special performers on stage (at least to me) were the same cats that busted out at the Fox Theater in September. I really liked those new years shows and I don't want anything to mess up the flow. I do want to qualify that there have been plenty of good shows over the last 20 years, they just come few and far between.. Lastly, the cow palace 76' - playin' in the band that I mentioned in my posting is from new years- 12-31-76. thanks

• Advisory Board

OK, it was Phil's 70th birthday and that is a big deal for anyone, especially for him having survived this long after some hard years on the road with the Grateful Dead and a liver transplant...

The show was announced as Furthur and Friends. That was fitting as Phil's new band Furthur is his biggest gig since Jerry's death, and with Bob and JK is the closest it will ever get to the magic of the Grateful Dead/Jerry years (but far, far, FAR from that magic IMHO).

You would have thought that a musician as noteworthy as Phil Lesh would have, could have, should have commanded some special guests of stature and musical majesty. Hunter, Kreutzmann, Hart, Branford, Steve Stills, Santana, Pete Townsend, Donna, Jorma, Jack Cassady, Grace Slick, Tom Constanten, Bruce Hornsby, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello, Etta James, Bob Dylan...and many more.

It's interesting that really nobody of real note or fame showed up outside of the very small P&F world. Also interesting that JK was once again kept in a box, like a bird in a guilded cage.

That has been my experience with Furthur...It's cool and interesting. It has its moments for sure. It is GREAT to see Bob Weir doing his thing the way only he can do it with a guy like JK at his side ripping open the door that has been closed musically since Jerry's passing. But as much as the GD were a group of parts contributing to a greater whole, it was (again IMHO) the genius of Garcia (and Hunter), then Bob Weir, then Pigpen (in his time as big as Garcia), Brent and then Phil, Billy and Mickey. The only 2 members of the original Grateful Dead significant enough to have stopped the band from performing as they were would have been Jerry or Bob. Had Phil left the band he could have been replaced (not without regret, not without loss), but it could have happened and the band could have continued.

JK is not Garcia and never claimed to be. He is an artist who truly emulates his style in the most loving way, and for JK's fans he pays tribute to the memory of Jerry like no one else, as evidenced by DSO (although Jeff Mattson has certainly more than stepped into the void created and filled it beyond expectation with renewed hope and vigor, setting up DSO for new heights and evolution for even more).

My experience with JK with DSO was that he delivered that Jerry essence with unleashed energy and enthusiasm from the first tuning up notes until the last note of the filler. No holding back, no restraints, no box or cage, no self imposed or outside control. He let it rip and we loved it. He delivered and Jerry was smiling from above (we all believed). In Furthur I get the feeling that JK is "spooning it out" rather than letting the floodgates open as he did with DSO. I like my Garcia in big, bold doses. I like it overdosed actually. I like it until it hurts, then I want some more... Mattson seems to be on that bandwagon and that is why he has been embraced by those that have seen him with DSO. He gives us the Garcia energy until it hurts. He tickles you until you think you can't breath anymore.

For me, it hurts to see JK in a cage. I understand that he couldn't say no to the offer, how could he have? I also know that things evolve and who knows what will be in the future? But the future of Furthur can't be that long with Phil and Bob, not decades and JK is young. When JK gets to sing and play his heart out is when Furthur shines and we all love it. When he is held back (by plan, choice or design) for me it hurts and detracts. I will continue to see Furthur when they are close by, mostly to see the interplay between Bob and JK as that is what reminds me of what I used to experience back in the day, but DSO is what takes it further for me. DSO is my super fine fresh brewed and ground coffee and Furthur is my instant brew. Both coffee but not the same.

No disrespect to Furthur intended. It's great that we don't have to pick and choose and can see both bands (as they haven't played in competition thank goodness-no need for that in our small community). For those that never saw Jerry this as close as it will get to the Bob Weir/Jerry Garcia feeling that existed with a living Bob Weir and an unleashed JK at his side (Bob playing with DSO though had all that going on...). For me, Furthur is a mixed bag and I do love seeing Phil and Bob getting to experience the magic again, even spooned out in JK mini doses. DSO still delivers the Grateful Dead musical experience for me uniquely. Funny that it feels like Furthur does the GD covers and DSO carries the flame (again IMHO).

I wish Phil a Happy Birthday! I understand why JK was minimized at his show, that is his role in the new band but wonder why this event wasn't the star studded jewel that it could have been?

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

Good post Dr. B. Two comments.....I hear what you're saying about the potential guests, but your lists gets pretty outlandish! Second, either I misread your intent, or you just put Phil in a Grateful Dead hierarchy behind Brent Mydland. :huh:

Thank you for that really wonderful and articulate post, Dr, B!!

You really captured the feeling that I know many of us who have witnessed both the GD and DSO felt about Phil's Birthday show. Regarding the guests, I too had some thoughts (perhaps just unreasonable fantasies) about who would be showing up. Surely Mickey and Billy would be back there on drums--maybe even with Bruce playing keys. Yeah, I heard there is some kind feud going on, but couldn't Phil, Mickey and Billy bury the hatchet for one evening? How special it would have been to see the original GD with everyone but Jerry onstage once again. Of course, NOBODY will ever replace the big man in the black t-shirt , but JK is the next best thing that we know of who is currently walking the face of the Earth. Seeing these 6 on one stage probably for the last time would have been incredible. I'm sure it would have been a dream fullfilled for JK. Alas, it was not to be.

I am completely at a loss why at least SOME A-list people were not in the house. Maybe Phil never really had the kind of relationship with the legendary musical giants that Jerry had. You can be damn sure that if this had been Jerry's 70th and he still had his chops, this would have been a show for the ages. However, since the big names didn't show, I would have been completely satified to have heard just ONE set of the Furthur playing the way I heard them last time at the Civic (or on some of the tapes such as second night Chicago and Colorado). Instead, we had a few of Phil's friends on stage for the whole long evening. By the third set, I just kept thinking "OK, you can leave now and let Furthur do it's thing". At one point CR did the stage, and I was hopeful that JG would be next. Nope, next song he's back, and we also have a second keyboard player again. In some ways, this was almost the CR and Friends concert.

The thing that really perplexes me about this is why Phil doesn't seem to hear what is happening? He is a man with very good musical instincts. You would think he would realize that he hit the jackpot when he got JK on the team, and would be riding it to the max for his birthday celebration. Instead, we had JK on stage left for 6 hours with his guitar lost in the mix with some lesser talents, and his voice MIA with the exception of one song. WTF???? You would not have known this was a guy with huge talent if you didn't previously know it. I had to keep explaining to a friend there who had never seen Furthur or DSO that this was not a Furthur concert, and that JK really could rip the place apart if given a chance. My friend was skeptical . I know that Phil has disclosed the baffling fact that his wife puts together the setlists. Did she put together the full itinerary for this evening? You have to wonder.

Archived