Happy Birthday Phil..

VincentPuleo

On a lighter note maybe Phil should have invited Rob E, Rob K, Rob B, Kevin, Dino, and Lisa. What a show :P Also sorry about calling some posts lame. :( I should just accept that Furthur is really the Phil Lesh Orchestra. Headphones included.

Really?

I know a lot of people who have branded DSO as "Dark Star Tricksters" or "Rob Eaton and the Tricksters" but, that doesn't mean I'm not going to go see them...Let alone bad mouth them...

-Stagger

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are judging Furthur based on this show? Who the hell would do that?

This wasn't a Furthur show.

With the history of Phil and Friends, we knew what this was going to be. Our tickets said "Furthur and Friends" for goodness sakes.

I know it seems unjust that CR sang that Comes a Time (and it was!) but come on...give me a break. We knew that Phil had been playing with these two guys longer than he's played with John. We knew what we were going to get.

Like I said..I haven't read much of this thread but I want to meet people who would judge Furthur based on this show.

No argument here. However, I would seem that many including myself had somewhat different expections what "Friends" would entail. I kind of expected many more big name guests who would appear for just a few numbers. I'm sorry if this is insulting to the "friends" that did appear, but I had expected some A-list artists showing up. I was hoping that Furthur would be kind of the "house band" and different special guests would appear on stage during the set This would be interspaced with some pure furthur performances. Kind of like the way U2 and the E-Street band did it on the recent and very well done HBO Hall of Fame show. The first acoustic set was very cool, but I became increasingly dismayed when these same guys just remained on stage all night playing too many guitars. They really wore out their welcome after awhile, especially CR. He seemed to be the star of the show after awhile. I guess this format is what made Phil happy, but it should have been done differently if pleasing the audience was a higher priority.

No argument here. However, I would seem that many including myself had somewhat different expections what "Friends" would entail. I kind of expected many more big name guests who would appear for just a few numbers. I'm sorry if this is insulting to the "friends" that did appear, but I had expected some A-list artists showing up. I was hoping that Furthur would be kind of the "house band" and different special guests would appear on stage during the set This would be interspaced with some pure furthur performances. Kind of like the way U2 and the E-Street band did it on the recent and very well done HBO Hall of Fame show. The first acoustic set was very cool, but I became increasingly dismayed when these same guys just remained on stage all night playing too many guitars. They really wore out their welcome after awhile, especially CR. He seemed to be the star of the show after awhile. I guess this format is what made Phil happy, but it should have been done differently if pleasing the audience was a higher priority.

I agree...one pure Furthur set and I would have walked away a happy man..A list guests? No disrespect to Phil...aside from stepping on some toes along the way, he is not Garcia in terms of notoriety...I would imagine if this was JG 70th you would have had some names like Dylan Carlos Santana, Crosby/Nash perhaps etc...I still go to see this music because perhaps I'm chasing the ghost of JG...wanting just a taste of that magic that he infused the GD with...when it doesn't happen I become more critical of the scene in general...ie people throwing up in the hall...trash on the floor etc...As I left the venue early I was already looking forward to DSO @ the Mystic...

• Forum MVP

It's not like I wasn't hoping for that last set to be just Furthur as well, but I wasn't surprised in the least.

And I agree with John A completely and have said the exact same thing to friends who have asked me about the show regarding the Comes...if John had the vocals to that one...everything would have been okay. It's not just the fact that he has the vocals but he is in charge of the song and that makes all the difference, especially on a song like that. There is something about John getting that one ballad that makes everything before and after better, if that makes any sense. You are waiting and hearing some good music and then, as on NYE for example, John plays a So Many Roads and explodes and the we explode with him...it's quite cathartic.

Like someone about to pass out in the heat of a dessert getting handed Big Gulp of ice cold water!

maybe Phil should have invited Rob E, Rob K, Rob B, Kevin, Dino, and Lisa.

that is exactly what is needed. john kadlecik, get your ass moving on a reconciliation. you pay for the band and their significant others to come and enjoy your sound. bring them out on stage. kiss their asses if that's what they need. they are good people. you are a good person. end this bullshit.

So who said F- John ???

your jackass friend said fuck john and then deleted his post. i don

that is exactly what is needed. john kadlecik, get your ass moving on a reconciliation. you pay for the band and their significant others to come and enjoy your sound. bring them out on stage. kiss their asses if that's what they need. they are good people. you are a good person. end this bullshit.

your jackass friend said fuck john and then deleted his post. i don

• Forum MVP
...I still go to see this music because perhaps I'm chasing the ghost of JG...wanting just a taste of that magic that he infused the GD with...

I know that's what I'm doing. And I've seen more Furthur shows in the past 6 months than I've seen of Phil/Bobby combined in the past 15 years because I've convinced myself that I might just catch that ghost for a moment or two here and there by sticking with this band. That conviction is sadly waning, and may well have been misguided from the get go. With Furthur, the ghost may appear, but good luck being able to latch onto it.

Ah well...I'm going to catch a night of DSO with Stu at the Mystic and maybe another show at the SF Regency as well.

:) you just made me cry, jon.

Sister B...

This was one of a few songs I wrote last fall after my Mom passed...It's about loss...which is something we may all be feeling here...

Never Know

We can never know what tomorrow will bring

Can

• Forum MVP

People are judging Furthur based on this show? Who the hell would do that?

This wasn't a Furthur show.

With the history of Phil and Friends, we knew what this was going to be. Our tickets said "Furthur and Friends" for goodness sakes.

I know it seems unjust that CR sang that Comes a Time (and it was!) but come on...give me a break. We knew that Phil had been playing with these two guys longer than he's played with John. We knew what we were going to get.

Like I said..I haven't read much of this thread but I want to meet people who would judge Furthur based on this show.

I don't think anyone is judging Furthur based on this show. I knew Jackie Greene would be there and Chris Robinson makes a lot of sense. I understand they are vocalists as well as musicians so they had to sing some songs. I still found it a little ridiculous JK got one song in three sets.

you replied to fishmans post and added John to the fuck fest .

that's very funny, mikey. herdygerdy was the perp. fishman never included john in his oaths.

btw, officer mike, where were you when the fuck furthurs were flying? didn't see no badge then...

Stewart_Copeland-with-tama-kit.jpg

2 names come right to mind - John Kahn and Jack Casady...

Not even close. They're both great bass players that I personally look up to, but it wouldn't have sounded ANYTHING like the Dead if either of them were in the band.

Just like JGB would have sounded like the Dead minus Bobby if Phil replaced John Kahn and Airplane would have sounded loosey-goosey and funky instead of dark and driving if Phil replaced Jack.

Regarding this discussion of the "leader of the band", I would have to say that Jerry never took the kind of role that Phil does today. This business of Phil speaking to the band members through their earpieces in concert to tell them what to do next is completely antithetical to the way the Grateful Dead operated. This is apparantly the way Phil like to run things. Personally, it puts me off to see Phil doing this, but my opinion is of little importance. However, it was most certainly not Jerry's way of "leading the band" musically. I feel that one reason that the GD were IMO the most creative live band in rock history was the kind of chaotic interaction that often occured between the members. Different members could take the band in a another direction in midsong. Often, there was resistance, and you never knew who would prevail. I can still remember Jerry and Bob looking at each other while each one tried to move in different directions. Jerry would not have a problem losing the argument on many occasions. Perhaps he won more of these than Bobby or Phil, but it never felt like Jerry was the boss. I don't feel that this happens with Phil's bands--at least in the past few years.

Regarding Phil's importance to the GD--Jerry once said something pretty close to "When Phil's happening, the band is happening. He is incredibly important." I have no reason to think otherwise. However, the GD were always to me greater than the sum of the parts. Now that Jerry is gone, I think Furthur would be better served by phil letting go of some his apparant need to be the boss. Perhaps this is what actually has happened on Furthur's best nights.

I'm a huge Phil fan but I totally agree with this. I never liked how either Phil or Bobby led their bands by verbal or hand commands... it's better to let the music take the direction it naturally takes IMHO. If you want to lead into a different volume or key or tempo, just start playing that way and people will follow along if it's a cool idea, or not if it isn't.

To me this is how Jerry led. He fostered a culture in which everyone could lead as they saw fit, but everything fit into his worldview. He didn't lead by active commands... it just sort of naturally worked out that everyone knew he was in charge even though he never really wanted to be.

Look to all it may concern I AM the one that said f&&K PHIL AND FURTHUR never did I say F&&K JK , I wish nothing but the best for everyone on a daily bases , I have seen about 9 or 10 FURTHUR shows and its just not for me i would rather remember the OLD days of the GD, I AM a true loyal fan of DSO and IMO at this point of time DSO is MUCH better then FURTHUR . Peace Dave

• Devoted

that's very funny, mikey. herdygerdy was the perp. fishman never included john in his oaths.

btw, officer mike, where were you when the fuck furthurs were flying? didn't see no badge then...

Let's not get twisted, Sister.

I'm the only law around here.

Don't make me get my Ass in gear,

and you know I'm talking about a real Donkey.

And let's watch the foul language Bluebeard or you may get to walk the plank.

Harry Callahan,

SFPD

Let's not get twisted, Sister.

I'm the only law around here.

Don't make me get my Ass in gear,

and you know I'm talking about a real Donkey.

And let's watch the foul language Bluebeard or you may get to walk the plank.

Harry Callahan,

SFPD

no offense intended, officer.

i had the choice to walk the plank by my own motivation or take a stand. i chose the latter. i can't apologize for what i've said because i meant it. i can't even apologize for using shock tactics, because i meant them too. but i trust you harry and if you think i should be in the soup, i will enjoy the refreshing plunge.

ps i really liked the bluebeard, that's exactly how i've been feeling. aaaaarrrrgh, matey. i'll show ye me sword if that's what yer wantin.

icon12.gif

In the spirit of bonhomme that is now washing over this thread, I thought I would offer this cute inanity.

Cowabunga! Peruvian hits waves with alpaca

source_Reuters3.gif updated 1 hour, 47 minutes ago

s_vod_odd_surfingalpaca_100316_4x3.300w.jpg

Nice Chuck! I have enjoyed this thread...Sorry Mike if it's eating up BWith... :(

Guest deadheadmike

Nice Chuck! I have enjoyed this thread...Sorry Mike if it's eating up BWith... :(

No worries Jon ... I'd really be more concerned with Jill Lesh's set list and vocalist choices ... some donations by faithful member's will help solve the bandwidth issue but not much can be done about Jill ... ;)

Really?

I know a lot of people who have branded DSO as "Dark Star Tricksters" or "Rob Eaton and the Tricksters" but, that doesn't mean I'm not going to go see them...Let alone bad mouth them...

-Stagger

I guess bad mouthing them is saying I'd go see them again? Read my first couple of posts. My last post was supposed to be humerous. I guess I missed. Hey somebody has to be in charge. If Jerry was still alive maybe he would have a headset. Maybe Phil and Bobby should trade the headset every few songs. that would make things interesting. :blink:

Archived