Furthur

Guest deadheadmike

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny whats up ??? :) I too will miss Jay ! Don't know him but man when you look up on stage and he's getting it as much as WE are it's pretty COOL ! That energy is just awesome ! Now I look forward to seeing PRIMUS too :) Speaking of JOE holding his own , man that guy is a monster . Saw him do Zeppelin stuff in the fall. WOW :) :) I'm a fan first , but his drumming of dead music is different than I'm used to . I REALLY , REALLY like what he does with it ! Oh well who asked me ? :wacko:

Looking real forward to seeing DSO come our way ! Its been entirely too LONG !

anthony

• Forum MVP

I think Furthur will be just fine with a 2nd drummer or different percussionist. Jay is fantastic, always has been. However, as JK stated, he's a drummer NOT a percussionist. It was probably an easy decision for him. its not like he's done with Ratdog, so he'll still be able to get his Dead on with Bobby. My only other question is, and I know it may be trivial, since when was Jay a "founding" member of Primus. I first saw Primus in '89 as an "opening act" at a small club. I bought Suck On This at that show, two weeks after it was recorded. The band was Les, Tim Alexander(drums) and Larry LaLonde(guitar). I know that Jay was behind the drums once Tim left(and before Brain took over) and then Primus went on hiatus and Sausage emerged. I mean Jay could have founded the band, was replaced by Tim prior to them recording their 1st album(yes, it was still an album back then) and then came back right after Frizzle Fry was released(although he was also playing with Alphabet Soup around '93-94 with Kenny Brooks, so I really can't seem to follow the timeline.). Just seems weird to me that I have been following Primus for over 20 years, know all the players who have graced the stage, yet this is the first time that I am hearing that Jay was a founding member.

If anyone has any further info, it would be appreciated.

• Forum MVP

Hi y'all- had to weigh in...

1. I think I can safely speak for Jay Lane on this: he absolutely *loves* Grateful Dead music, he played 15 years with Rat Dog, but...

2. His true, first musical love is playing drum kit, not percussion. I think he enjoyed percussion and gave 110% into making it work, but...

3. Jay was one of the founding members of Primus back in the late 80's, and I heard his demos from back then... smokin' versions of songs that ended up on "Frizzle Fry".... that lineup reunited as Sausage in the mid 90's, and Jay was also in Les Claypool's Frog Brigade... so when Les called him... see #2 above.

4. I will miss the hell out of him. Really sweet dude! I really dig Joe, too, though, and I think he'll hold his own just fine.

Not lurking... just passing by...

Namaste,

-John

BAD ASS! Thanks for checking in....

Guest deadheadmike

BAD ASS! Thanks for checking in....

Your the BAD ASS !!! nice to hear from you today, finally ,ya fuck ... see ya in a few weeks !!!

Archived