Baseball

bs69

• Forum MVP

Go Phils.

How do we know that the Little League coaches are making them throw curves? These kids probably care a lot about winning to or they wouldn't be competing for the LLWS. At 12 or 13, a kid can tell which pitch is most effective and might choose to throw a curve ball because its his most effective pitch. I really don't know who is behind the curve ball, but I wouldn't discourage a kid from doing whatever he thought necessary to win. For some, they might not play beyond high school and this may be the most limelight they get on the diamond their entire life. Now, if someone has evidence that the coach is forcing the kids to throw curves, I would certainly say not cool.

The coaches call the pitches, not the players. Kids can be taught to throw a number of off speed pitches that can achieve similar results without ruining their arms.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Go Phils.

How do we know that the Little League coaches are making them throw curves? These kids probably care a lot about winning to or they wouldn't be competing for the LLWS. At 12 or 13, a kid can tell which pitch is most effective and might choose to throw a curve ball because its his most effective pitch. I really don't know who is behind the curve ball, but I wouldn't discourage a kid from doing whatever he thought necessary to win. For some, they might not play beyond high school and this may be the most limelight they get on the diamond their entire life. Now, if someone has evidence that the coach is forcing the kids to throw curves, I would certainly say not cool.

Most of the times, the coaches call the pitches but that's not the point. I was playing in middle school when our coach forbade our best pitcher (the only one who could throw one) from throwing more than 1 curve in an inning. He would take him out of the game if he didn't abide.

And we were just a bad middle school chi-town team! It's always the adult who is responsible in situations like this. Kids are allowed to be kids but adults are, hopefully , held to a higher standard.

i threw curveballs when i was 12 and my coach wasnt calling the pitches....that also wasnt at a LLWS level, its all about the the person......roy halladay throws a ton every year no arm problems, strasburgh was on a pitch count regimen and had to undergo tommy john surgery already

Phillies beat the Rays in the world series

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

No one cared about the world series this year (two reasons for myself, 1. Fox was not broadcasting on cablevision for the first half of the series. 2. the yanks weren't in it)... having said that, I'm happy that the Giants won and not the Rangers.

• Forum MVP

I just seen the news about Sparky Anderson and my heart goes out to him and his family.

May your trip to the afterlife be peaceful. Be blessed Sparky

Very sad to hear of Sparky's passing. He is a legend in these parts.

• Forum MVP

No one cared about the world series this year (two reasons for myself, 1. Fox was not broadcasting on cablevision for the first half of the series. 2. the yanks weren't in it)... having said that, I'm happy that the Giants won and not the Rangers.

Careful about making global pronouncements.

I, for one, watched more of the WS this year than usual precisely because of my newly found admiration for the SF Giants.

I just loved watching the scraggly and hairy SF pitchers leaving the Rangers standing at the plate dumbfounded time and again.

• Forum MVP

I believe this was the lowest or second lowest rated world series. I'm happy for SF and the giants but i couldn't even watch half of the series cause fox blacked it out. Out in NJ, NY, PA, no one was talking about the world series. All football here... last year was a totally different story. Not just for this area but for the nation as well. Much bigger and intriguing match up with yanks and phils.

Archived