I Guess It Was Inevitable...

Dr. Barry

• Advisory Board

So now that JM has played with the band and Stu is playing with the band, posts are starting up (see the Eureka thread) that subtly and not so subtly are stating a preference for one or the other as a permanent band member.

I say that we as fans really have no choice but to trust the wisdom of the members of DSO on this decision. There are so many factors that go into something like this, way more than what we are privy to. It's more than whose voice you like or whose guitar you prefer...

Truth is that I don't feel that the fanbase really has any "say" in this decision, nor do we deserve one in my opinion. We can have preferences, but I feel that decorum and tact dictates that we should keep any statements that could be considered preferential of one person over the other as private. This can be hurtful stuff. Both JM and Stu are awesome. We owe them both a huge debt of gratitude for even getting up on stage for us. When you read between the lines some of the comments border on stuff that is too personal and the last thing any of us would want to do is make either of these great talents feel bad.

Bottom line is that it is not a contest, we are not the judges, decisions will be made by the band in their wisdom for their reasons; so let's not do or say anything that causes anyone ill will.

I will trust the band to do what they think is right and support them 100% no matter what decision they make.

Just my opinion.

Dr. B B)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree and hold full trust in DSO making the right pick but I'm afraid I must respectably disagree with your feeling that we shouldn't discuss our favorites in public.

It's fun for me, a fan, to compare, contrast, and critique shows and individual performances. It should always be done tastefully. To me all forms of art have different interpretations, by nature. I love both JM and Stu's abilities and would hate to have to make a decision between the two. That being said, I don't think we shouldn't voice what we think. Afterall, we're Deadheads, we tend to have differing opinions. Is it wrong to say you prefer Brent over Keith or vice versa? I'm grateful we're all getting to experience the music we have as of late. All of these changes have been great for the entire scene...it's beautiful.

censorship.jpg

Peace and Love, peace and love

• Advisory Board

I agree and hold full trust in DSO making the right pick but I'm afraid I must respectably disagree with your feeling that we shouldn't discuss our favorites in public.

It's fun for me, a fan, to compare, contrast, and critique shows and individual performances. It should always be done tastefully. To me all forms of art have different interpretations, by nature. I love both JM and Stu's abilities and would hate to have to make a decision between the two. That being said, I don't think we shouldn't voice what we think. Afterall, we're Deadheads, we tend to have differing opinions. Is it wrong to say you prefer Brent over Keith or vice versa? I'm grateful we're all getting to experience the music we have as of late. All of these changes have been great for the entire scene...it's beautiful.

Peace and Love, peace and love

Some people will read what I posted and get my point, others will claim that I am making a case for censorship. That's an ugly word and that's a case that I did not make. My original post said all that I have to say, no need to elaborate or explain it further. Being kind when you are talking about people is not censorship, it's common sense and good behavior in a caring community.

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

people are going to voice their opinions on the matter no matter what, as they should....this is the band's message board...the band is going to make the decision no matter what is said on here...you are trying to regulate posts ...

• Advisory Board

people are going to voice their opinions on the matter no matter what, as they should....this is the band's message board...the band is going to make the decision no matter what is said on here...you are trying to regulate posts ...

The point is to be sensitive about JM and Stu's feelings. I'm not in any position to censor or regulate anything. Just stating my opinions. Take it for what it's worth or leave it. Let your true self out and do whatever you want!

• Forum MVP

As long as we don't let things get out of hand as they did only a few short months ago, friendly conversation about our likes and dislikes is extremely healthy. If we can only keep the personal attacks and harsh criticism about topics that we do not have the full information on, we will be just fine..... :dsorocks:

As long as we don't let things get out of hand as they did only a few short months ago, friendly conversation about our likes and dislikes is extremely healthy. If we can only keep the personal attacks and harsh criticism about topics that we do not have the full information on, we will be just fine..... :dsorocks:

Funky,

Very well stated post.

As one who took things over the top during the last controversy ( :wacko: )

I've got no intentions on creating or feeding into this situation!

I'll let the band make the decisions & just be supportive either way.We can all be certain they will do whats best for DSO.

Just trying to enjoy the music/. hang with friends/family & smile,smile,smile

See Ya' on the Road,

Rob

• Forum MVP

I agree with Dr. Barry completely. It isn't a matter of censorship whatsoever. The fact is that we have played this game before(look back to barraco vs. DanK) and it really can get ugly. Lets try to keep it civil. Nothing has to be censored but try to remember that just because you think one guitar player is better doesn't mean that everyone should think so, or more importantly that the band should. I for one am not going to participate in ANY discussion of who will permanently replace JK. Anyone please feel free to join me- we can do so but just not contributing to threads which compare stu and jeff. We don't need to compare....all we need to do is enjoy and know that our beloved band will continue on, which is great!!!

:dsorocks:

-aaron

Truth is that I don't feel that the fanbase really has any "say" in this decision, nor do we deserve one in my opinion. We can have preferences, but I feel that decorum and tact dictates that we should keep any statements that could be considered preferential of one person over the other as private

Usually I agree with Dr. B.. on his thoughtful posts but I disagree with the statement that we should keep our opinion as to who should be the permanent replacement private. As long time fans who support DSO as patrons and fans. I think it is well within our domain to offer an opinion. And I will. I do agree however that opinions as fans should not mean much in the context of making a choice such as this. Logistics, personal and musical chemistry, business, etc obviously trump tans opinion. But again to offer an opinion is fair.

It's a moot point to talk about J.K. or make comparisons to him with anyone new because in my opinion he was a singular type of fit.. a unique talent with a spirit and "it" factor and a musical chemistry with Eaton (from a listeners perspective) that was other worldly in the sense of "in the moment musical transendence" . Which combined with the Time Travel Conceptual aspect of the Band(show recreations) was and is simply unequaled...to me it is apples and oranges..And I mean apples and oranges in a mostly positive way.

Moving forward however , I think it is fair to make a comparison of Stu and Jeff. Both incredibly talented musicians who I have seen live. The show at the Pagaent (77) was fantastic....and the musical chemistry top shelf on every level I do believe however if DSO plans on being the juggernaut touring vehicle that it has been for the last 10 years, Stu Allen is the guy. Even at his relatively young age, both his lead and harmony vocals do not mimic Garcia but capture his sweet melancholy soulfulness. Plus I believe his growth potential with the Core 5 (sorry broke my pledge in paragraph 2) in unlimited....

Finally I will be pleased as punch if Jeff gets the full time gig as well and will see this great band every chance I get......but again I do believe to voice an opnion on this topic is reasonable...

I just hope this thing drags on long enough that Furthur derails and we get our Johnny back.

They say I'm a dreamer.....

Or completely delusional.

I think your forgetting about his solo project (JK &The Wharf Rats)-And besides that.....Who's to say either side wants the other one back ( maybe only us fans want them reunited) :dsorocks:

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

I think your forgetting about his solo project (JK &The Wharf Rats)-And besides that.....Who's to say either side wants the other one back ( maybe only us fans want them reunited) :dsorocks:

Peace,

Rob

This side project is just to keep him limber in between Furthur tours ... the real JK band comes after Furthur says its last goodnight in a year or two ... that second part is probably on the money .

• Advisory Board

Dr. B -

If it doesn't matter to you than you should not worry if it matters for anybody else..

why start this thread ?? .... I see it as you trying to tell others what to do...

It only matters to me as I was starting to read posts that were touching on stuff that felt insensitive and possibly hurtful to the two people involved.

Look at what "Jerryguy" posted in another thread this morning:

"Must say that Jeff Mattson is a sub-standard vocalist and not the right choice. Stu Allen is a better fit. In a band that prides themselves on "attention to detail" it suprises me that they would would overlook a major detail such as being able to sing the greatest ballads ever written. Mattson, while an excellent player just cannot cut the vocal mustard. I have seen both many times and to me it is crystal clear. After comparing recent videos by both with DSO, I have to go with Stu...the band should NOT let him go. JM is older,looks less than healthy and can't sing as well. Stu's playing is great and will only get better.Why have a guy who clearly is not as talented, vocally? Makes no sense. Twenty buck says Stu stays! "

I am voicing my opinion, that is not telling people what to do, but rather sharing my perspective and hopefully opening up the reader to perhaps a different point of view. A caring and civil point of view.

My point was to interject a heightened sensitivity to the situation. We are dealing with real people here, and it is my hope that they don't get publicly discussed as some type of commodity.

Just kindness. Not censorship. Not telling anyone what to do. Just sharing my thoughts...

Dr. B B)

Guest prideofcucamunga

You gotta remember that probably like 1% of all DSO/Furthur fans are reading this board, and even less are posting. I think Dr. Barry is suggesting that the band reads these posts. If so:

I would say to Kadlecik, Mattsen and Allen, this:

-MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE CROWD, LOTS OF IT, THESE PEOPLE CAME TO COMMUNE WITH YOU

-OPEN UP YOUR HEART TO THE LOVE THAT THOSE FIRST COUPLE OF ROWS ARE SENDING YOU

FEEDING OFF THE LOVE FROM THE CROWD CAN PROVIDE AN ENORMOUS AMOUT OF CONFIDENCE

-SMILE, A LOT!

-DON'T TRY TUNES THAT ARE OUTSIDE OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE

-DANCE, MOVE, SHAKE, GET SOME KINDA MOTION GOING WHILE YOU ARE SINGING/PLAYING, REMEMBER THAT WHAT YOU DO-WE DO, IF YOU LOOK HAPPY AND ELATED TO BE HERE NOW, WE WILL FEED OFF THAT AND BOUNCE IT RIGHT BACK TO YOU

-PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE DRUMMERS, PLAY YOUR RIFFS AGAINST THE DRUM TOMS, KICK AND CYMBAL CRASHES, FORGET THE RHYTHYM GUITAR, BASS AND KEYS, THE DRUMMERS ARE YOUR FOCUS, THE OTHER PLAYERS WILL FOLLOW

-YOU ARE THE BAND LEADER, WHEN THE BAND LOOKS TO YOU TO TELL THE STORY LINE IN THE JAM-JOURNEY, TAKE IT!!!!!

• Forum MVP

You gotta remember that probably like 1% of all DSO/Furthur fans are reading this board, and even less are posting. I think Dr. Barry is suggesting that the band reads these posts. If so:

I would say to Kadlecik, Mattsen and Allen, this:

-MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE CROWD, LOTS OF IT, THESE PEOPLE CAME TO COMMUNE WITH YOU

-OPEN UP YOUR HEART TO THE LOVE THAT THOSE FIRST COUPLE OF ROWS ARE SENDING YOU

FEEDING OFF THE LOVE FROM THE CROWD CAN PROVIDE AN ENORMOUS AMOUT OF CONFIDENCE

-SMILE, A LOT!

-DON'T TRY TUNES THAT ARE OUTSIDE OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE

-DANCE, MOVE, SHAKE, GET SOME KINDA MOTION GOING WHILE YOU ARE SINGING/PLAYING, REMEMBER THAT WHAT YOU DO-WE DO, IF YOU LOOK HAPPY AND ELATED TO BE HERE NOW, WE WILL FEED OFF THAT AND BOUNCE IT RIGHT BACK TO YOU

-PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE DRUMMERS, PLAY YOUR RIFFS AGAINST THE DRUM TOMS, KICK AND CYMBAL CRASHES, FORGET THE RHYTHYM GUITAR, BASS AND KEYS, THE DRUMMERS ARE YOUR FOCUS, THE OTHER PLAYERS WILL FOLLOW

-YOU ARE THE BAND LEADER, WHEN THE BAND LOOKS TO YOU TO TELL THE STORY LINE IN THE JAM-JOURNEY, TAKE IT!!!!!

and they would say, "thanks, but i'm the professional musician."

Archived