04/30/2010 Belly Up, Solona Beach, Ca

redeyedbert

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Must have been one hell of a show. No setlist on DSO site and nobody stirring yet. I realize it is 9:30am west coast, but usually there is something by now.

Huge party night for everyone!!! 2-27-77 Santa Barbara, CA Got to go soak my head! RB

• Forum MVP

Robertson Gym (UC Santa Barbara), Goleta, CA (2/27/77)

New Minglewood Blues

Loser

El Paso

Ramble on Rose

Estimated Prophet

Peggy-O

Good Lovin'

Mississippi Half-Step

Music Never Stopped

Scarlet Begonias

Samson and Delilah

St. Stephen

Not Fade Away

drums

Terrapin Station

Morning Dew

Sugar Magnolia

Johnny B. Goode

FILLER -

Let It Rock

?blush.gif my memory fails me

• Forum MVP

Robertson Gym (UC Santa Barbara), Goleta, CA (2/27/77)

New Minglewood Blues

Loser

El Paso

Ramble on Rose

Estimated Prophet

Peggy-O

Good Lovin'

Mississippi Half-Step

Music Never Stopped

Scarlet Begonias

Samson and Delilah

St. Stephen

Not Fade Away

drums

Terrapin Station

Morning Dew

Sugar Magnolia

Johnny B. Goode

FILLER -

Let It Rock

?blush.gif my memory fails me

No doubt Fella's, was an amazing show and for me a personal favorite as I love '77. Amen Rob B., was such great energy last night and your keyboards cooked as did the rest of the band while myself and a nice little collection of fellow board members and new friends (Hey there to Ian & Robin, Stu's friends from Kentucky) were dancin' away with passion and huge smiles last night as we witnnessed what I felt was a coronation. What I can say is this...and I can only go off of what I have so far witnessed since the other night at the El Rey, Stu is the man and his command and grit just feels right...the sound, sounded right and the feeling, felt right. One of the things being said to me by several of the guys we are making this run with were, "can it be, but it seems like in only these few shows that he / the mix have actually gotten better and with great leaps from show to show. We have camped out on Stu's side each show so we really have gotten to see the evolution of what I see as a comfortability, a feeling his own within the group and as a result, a command and cohesion with the band as he feeds off of and now seems to be driving the jams and the back and forth. That and everyone just seems to like him, us, the band and those of you yet to see him...at ends of Stu songs and especially the end of the show when Rob E. introduced him, the place just errupted, & I mean loud man, more than your typical "thanks for comin' out"...this was a resounding, "yes, yes....this is good, this works"...the friends mentioned above were kind enough to introduce me to him at the stage when he knelt down to talk to them at the set break and I told him how much I appreciate what he and the band are doing for us and that he sounds great with them. Now, humilty goes a real long way in my book and he said that "he was just trying to fit in with them"...I said "man, you more than fit in"....he thanked me and off he went, back stage, to join the band~

stu_1.jpg

*Just added some video from last night's show under Galaxy review~

Best show I have witnessed.

This one or the Portland show for me. I had a friend with me at the Portland show who had seen DSO about 30 times in the last eight years . He said it was the best show he'd ever seen DSO play. Looking forward to tonights show.

• Forum MVP

that is strong statement... a very good one though... first set Estimated... yes.

Strong statment, I don't throw that around very often. Granted IMHO, it's one of the best gd shows ever but terrapin-dew does it for me. On to the show, i had a feeling a barn-burner was coming. Energy was there from the beginning, just had a feeling the band knew what was in store. Ist set estimated, peggy-o just sublime, STU nailed it and a great solo to boot. Ramble on, two nights in a row, but I could here it every night as with 1/2 step. El paso was even tolerable. First set was a smoker and well, the second set speaks for itself. The dew was sublime, I mean heavenly, the first solo was short and sweet and then it came, like a freight train, and STU owned it, no hesitation, just murdered it.

I can't say it loud enough, STU works, and he works well. When he let's loose, there is nothing better. 1 more....

Strong statment, I don't throw that around very often. Granted IMHO, it's one of the best gd shows ever but terrapin-dew does it for me. On to the show, i had a feeling a barn-burner was coming. Energy was there from the beginning, just had a feeling the band knew what was in store. Ist set estimated, peggy-o just sublime, STU nailed it and a great solo to boot. Ramble on, two nights in a row, but I could here it every night as with 1/2 step. El paso was even tolerable. First set was a smoker and well, the second set speaks for itself. The dew was sublime, I mean heavenly, the first solo was short and sweet and then it came, like a freight train, and STU owned it, no hesitation, just murdered it.

I can't say it loud enough, STU works, and he works well. When he let's loose, there is nothing better. 1 more....

I was extremely pleased with what I saw with Stu in San Francisco. I walked in somewhat sceptical that the magic I had witnessed with JK could be repeated so soon. I walked out just amazed at how wrong I had been. I would not go as far as you did and say the show I saw at the Regency was the best DSO show I had seen, but it was certainly up there as one of the best. From what people are saying, it just keeps getting better, so I do not doubt you for a second with what you said about the Belly Up show. I sure wish I could have been there!!! I hope that this short run with Stu will not be the last. You are so right--STU WORKS!!!! The vibe on the stage looked really great in SF and Stu seemed to be really fitting in with the band. Sounds like having a few more shows made the Solona Beach show truly amazing.

• Forum MVP

...yes... I am with you... on my second DSO show I was already saying "this is the best show I've ever been to"... Terrapin>Dew is a godly combination. Nothing like it when the last unison line of the Terrapin Jam fades out of an amazing silence Jerry's Morning Dew line fades in....

The dew was sublime, I mean heavenly, the first solo was short and sweet and then it came, like a freight train, and STU owned it, no hesitation, just murdered it.

Your love for Morning Dew borders on obsession. I like it.

Guest Charles from Oregon

This setlist is incredible, I so much I could have been there to witness it. STU is the man,he brings it home, hits it home, rips it home. I'm a believer!! Let it Rock, Waiting for a Miracle filler to boot, WOW! Can't wait til my next fix.

...yes... I am with you... on my second DSO show I was already saying "this is the best show I've ever been to"... Terrapin>Dew is a godly combination. Nothing like it when the last unison line of the Terrapin Jam fades out of an amazing silence Jerry's Morning Dew line fades in....

Awww...

goosebumps200.jpg

Guest boputnam

...we witnnessed what I felt was a coronation. Stu's ... command ... just feels right...the sound, sounded right and the feeling, felt right. ...it seems like in only these few shows that he / the mix have actually gotten better and with great leaps from show to show. ...what I see as a comfortability, a feeling his own within the group and as a result, a command and cohesion with the band as he feeds off of and now seems to be driving the jams and the back and forth. That and everyone just seems to like him... ...humilty goes a real long way in my book and he said that "he was just trying to fit in with them"...I said "man, you more than fit in"....he thanked me and off he went, back stage, to join the band~

stu_1.jpg

I have read this post many times - very quotable. You nailed it for me.

I've worked with Stu for +4 yrs in JGB, and he is exactly as you say. We talked about this tour, and I predicted what you saw about how it was going to just keep getting better and better as he worked with the great artists in DSO - all would grow. Props also to Cotter who I think got better and better at placing Stu in the mix - catching great interplay especitally with Barraco and driving energy off Eaton. The grins outa Koritz and English were testimony to the thrill. These were great shows - the "original set lists" nights being my favorite(s) because they created their own show energy flow. (I also loved the sprinklings of JGB Band notables...)

I'm really glad for Stu that the DSO fanbase was so warm and welcoming - big shoes to fill, and humility helped the fit feel right.

Stu's getting the recognition he has long deserved, IMO. Let it grow...

• Forum MVP

I was absolutely blown away by this show. The energy was high in the crowd and with the band, the show was amazing (great set list and extremely well played). Like others already said, first set Estimated fantastic, the Terrapin/Dew off the charts, a truly magical experience. DSO truly did the original great GD show justice with this performance.

I was really worried that after JK left DSO I would never have the same magical feeling that I experienced during DSO shows with him. I'm not talking every night, but those nights were things just align properly, you get in the same zone, connect with the band/music, and take off into another place all together. Almost like a small slice of heaven. After Jk left, I went to see DSO and the first 10 non-JK shows, I thought were very solid, represented tremendous musicianship by the members of DSO. They seemed to transition seamlessly with a new guitar player, but still, I left the show satisfied, but feeling that something was missing. Like I said, I didn't believe all JK shows achieved this either, but I did start to worry that maybe it just couldn't happen again. I was wrong...

This particular show with the energy coming off the stage and spreading to the floor; the new friends and of course, the family gave this show a special feel right from the start and then it happened, the Terrapin > Dew performed magnificently, delivered with such heart felt emotion, and truly felt by all the people in attendance.

This incarnation of DSO made tremendous strides from my first shows (Boulder x 2) to my last three shows (the Galaxy and Belly Up Solona Beach). I really hope we get to see this incarnation again; I felt it and think most everyone else did. This incarnation has the potential to possibly surpass the last if the band decides to let it grow.

• Forum MVP

I was absolutely blown away by this show. The energy was high in the crowd and with the band, the show was amazing (great set list and extremely well played). Like others already said, first set Estimated fantastic, the Terrapin/Dew off the charts, a truly magical experience. DSO truly did the original great GD show justice with this performance.

I was really worried that after JK left DSO I would never have the same magical feeling that I experienced during DSO shows with him. I'm not talking every night, but those nights were things just align properly, you get in the same zone, connect with the band/music, and take off into another place all together. Almost like a small slice of heaven. After Jk left, I went to see DSO and the first 10 non-JK shows, I thought were very solid, represented tremendous musicianship by the members of DSO. They seemed to transition seamlessly with a new guitar player, but still, I left the show satisfied, but feeling that something was missing. Like I said, I didn't believe all JK shows achieved this either, but I did start to worry that maybe it just couldn't happen again. I was wrong...

This particular show with the energy coming off the stage and spreading to the floor; the new friends and of course, the family gave this show a special feel right from the start and then it happened, the Terrapin > Dew performed magnificently, delivered with such heart felt emotion, and truly felt by all the people in attendance.

This incarnation of DSO made tremendous strides from my first shows (Boulder x 2) to my last three shows (the Galaxy and Belly Up Solona Beach). I really hope we get to see this incarnation again; I felt it and think most everyone else did. This incarnation has the potential to possibly surpass the last if the band decides to let it grow.

Thank you Rick!

• Forum MVP

You nailed it , Rick !!! Thanks for getting all our thoughts organized and written down in this revue , you said it all my Brother ... :)

Take me to the leader of the band!

Ka-blamo folks!

Birthday dew, that works for me....

the magic was heavy in the air

Thanks to the band and everyone else for such a great time, couldn't have been better or more special

all i really had to say after the show was,

STU ALLEN

• Forum MVP

Take me to the leader of the band!

Ka-blamo folks!

Birthday dew, that works for me....

the magic was heavy in the air

Thanks to the band and everyone else for such a great time, couldn't have been better or more special

all i really had to say after the show was,

STU ALLEN

stu, stu, STU!

Archived