Who Was In Cali This Weekend?

gr8fulauditors

• Forum MVP

I was in Cali. Shows were good not great. Most songs were played with very long intros that included some solid jamming and their were some nice solos. I had a great time and I would do this again, but I am happy to be returning to see DSO on Wednesday. I like Furthur and all and I will continue to go see them and support JK, but DSO plays GD music the way I like to hear it. I will probably do a full review at some point, but I don't think these shows compared to best Furthur shows I've seen. Too much direction by Bobby and Phil and not enough just playing by the band and JK. See some of you Wednesday in CT.

I was in Cali. Shows were good not great. I don't think these shows compared to best Furthur shows I've seen. Too much direction by Bobby and Phil and not enough just playing by the band and JK. See some of you Wednesday in CT.

Sounds like the same old thing......Flashes of brilliance amongst the ordinary(not capitalizing on the talent in this band!)

See 'Ya on the Road,

Rob

• Forum MVP

Sounds like the same old thing......Flashes of brilliance amongst the ordinary(not capitalizing on the talent in this band!)

See 'Ya on the Road,

Rob

I don't want to sound too down on it. I had a great time and I was with great friends and made some new friends. The people I camped with really knew how to camp and cook. Lots of good conversation, food, and some very good music. This was definitely a worthwhile experience. If I had never seen DSO or only a few shows and wasn't aware of JK's tremendous abilities, I probably wouldn't have any complaints at all.

thanks guys for the reviews.Hoping this Weir,Lesh, heavy directional thing was just becuse of the album thing and the guests I've seen Furthur 8 times and have quite a few scheduled.From Oakland till now has gotten more solid although the very first notes of this Band in Oakland into the schorchingly eeriely cool Other One is still one of the BEST moments they've had.In AC I saw (at times) where it looked to me that JK WAS leading the band and they were all digging it.Plus one good thing to come of this will be the relationship JK forms musically with JC.Truley magical stuff is begining to happen between those two.Yes Bob and Phil are great BUT the keys and the lead are smoking in this band.I hope to finally meet up with some of you guys this summer.So we can put faces to the names.Might even make to the Electric Factory for DSO,if I can get off work.

Enjoy the ride!!

:cheers:

• Forum MVP

thanks guys for the reviews.Hoping this Weir,Lesh, heavy directional thing was just becuse of the album thing and the guests I've seen Furthur 8 times and have quite a few scheduled.From Oakland till now has gotten more solid although the very first notes of this Band in Oakland into the schorchingly eeriely cool Other One is still one of the BEST moments they've had.In AC I saw (at times) where it looked to me that JK WAS leading the band and they were all digging it.Plus one good thing to come of this will be the relationship JK forms musically with JC.Truley magical stuff is begining to happen between those two.Yes Bob and Phil are great BUT the keys and the lead are smoking in this band.I hope to finally meet up with some of you guys this summer.So we can put faces to the names.Might even make to the Electric Factory for DSO,if I can get off work.

Enjoy the ride!!

:cheers:

I have also seen some Furthur shows were I felt JK was actually leading and not just on lead. 2nd night in Colorado was a truly magical experience. I will be at some of the same shows you are at. We should definitely make an effort to meet one another.

.Plus one good thing to come of this will be the relationship JK forms musically with JC.Truley magical stuff is begining to happen between those two.Yes Bob and Phil are great BUT the keys and the lead are smoking in this band.

Couldn't agree more! The exchanges between JK and Jeff have been the highlights of the Furthur shows I've seen. Perhaps when Furthur is done, those two will stick together in a new band and continue what seems to be a great musical relationship.

I was in Cali. Shows were good not great. Most songs were played with very long intros that included some solid jamming and their were some nice solos. I had a great time and I would do this again, but I am happy to be returning to see DSO on Wednesday. I like Furthur and all and I will continue to go see them and support JK, but DSO plays GD music the way I like to hear it. I will probably do a full review at some point, but I don't think these shows compared to best Furthur shows I've seen. Too much direction by Bobby and Phil and not enough just playing by the band and JK. See some of you Wednesday in CT.

Finally a decent honest review from a trusted forum member. Maybe some of these further folks will start to realize that its NOT great. Just cause Phil and Bobby are in the band doesn't make it great. Unless you just like sucking ass then keep it up. They might read your post in the grave! Hard to go further when two of the members are at the end of their rope!

BTW nice to be on the "right" coast where DSO is. Long live DSO, the way it was meant to be played! Still don't have your own forum to play in?

• Forum MVP

Finally a decent honest review from a trusted forum member. Maybe some of these further folks will start to realize that its NOT great. Just cause Phil and Bobby are in the band doesn't make it great. Unless you just like sucking ass then keep it up. They might read your post in the grave! Hard to go further when two of the members are at the end of their rope!

BTW nice to be on the "right" coast where DSO is. Long live DSO, the way it was meant to be played! Still don't have your own forum to play in?

Is that you in the picture???

you look like a chick.

Still haven't seen Furthur live yet, and I'm not sure when I'll get the chance...I was thinking of doing DSO in State College PA on the 10th and hitting Furthur in Philly on the 11th, but the show DSO will be playing in Big Flats (Donna the Buffalo, Root, UM) seems like it's too good a value to pass up. That said, I think that most of the reviews of Furthur have been "decent and honest," not just the ones that like to knock Furthur down a peg.

I think Furthur does mores to expand the repertoire than people think...regardless of what some people think, I really get a kick out of hearing JK interact with these guys and play things differently, perceived slights be damned. I love DSO...and as I said, two nights with DSO appealed to me more than two nights with Furthur, same weekend, same region... but under Furthur still produces some fantastic music.

Do I wish JK sang some more? Of course, but not so much that I'll say Furthur is a waste of money or whatnot. Like it or not, JK cast his lot with Furthur...doesn't it stand to reason that he's in agreement with Bobby and Phil on the vocal arrangements? If he was being held up and deprived by Bobby and Phil...well, then, why did he join? And the issue of Bobby and Phil putting their names in bold above the rest of the band...well, no offense, but aren't they the star attraction here? I'm all for lack of ego, and love the fact that many bands don't do such a thing, but at the same time, Bobby and Phil's names have cache that unfortunately the other names do not. No disrespect to JK, but did anyone but Starheads know who he was before he joined? It's not like he's a household name, even now. If the publicity guys for Bobby and Phil decide those two guys - who were in the most successful touring band in the world for whatever time - are the best ones to sell the band, then who can disagree?

I know I'm going to hear it now...blah blah Jill this and blah blah not a true fan that...let 'er rip.

Still haven't seen Furthur live yet, and I'm not sure when I'll get the chance...I was thinking of doing DSO in State College PA on the 10th and hitting Furthur in Philly on the 11th, but the show DSO will be playing in Big Flats (Donna the Buffalo, Root, UM) seems like it's too good a value to pass up. That said, I think that most of the reviews of Furthur have been "decent and honest," not just the ones that like to knock Furthur down a peg.

I think Furthur does mores to expand the repertoire than people think...regardless of what some people think, I really get a kick out of hearing JK interact with these guys and play things differently, perceived slights be damned. I love DSO...and as I said, two nights with DSO appealed to me more than two nights with Furthur, same weekend, same region... but under Furthur still produces some fantastic music.

Do I wish JK sang some more? Of course, but not so much that I'll say Furthur is a waste of money or whatnot. Like it or not, JK cast his lot with Furthur...doesn't it stand to reason that he's in agreement with Bobby and Phil on the vocal arrangements? If he was being held up and deprived by Bobby and Phil...well, then, why did he join? And the issue of Bobby and Phil putting their names in bold above the rest of the band...well, no offense, but aren't they the star attraction here? I'm all for lack of ego, and love the fact that many bands don't do such a thing, but at the same time, Bobby and Phil's names have cache that unfortunately the other names do not. No disrespect to JK, but did anyone but Starheads know who he was before he joined? It's not like he's a household name, even now. If the publicity guys for Bobby and Phil decide those two guys - who were in the most successful touring band in the world for whatever time - are the best ones to sell the band, then who can disagree?

I know I'm going to hear it now...blah blah Jill this and blah blah not a true fan that...let 'er rip.

No No speak it as you see it.Its all a matter of perception,it's all relative..

• Forum MVP

I'm sure everyone is being honest with their reviews. I still think Furthur has moments of greatness and I do not regret attending their shows and I plan to attend some of their shows in the future. Some of the music made last week was fantastic and I am sure JK is okay with the vocal arrangements and the way things are being done on stage or at least he more than appears that way. He looks to be enjoying himself and I have heard only positive things from his end about this whole experience. I think Furthur is doing whatever they can to market the band in the best way possible - festivals will help build momentum and so does marketing Phil and Bobby. I also think that the most important aspect of marketing music happens to be the music being played itself. Maybe in this day in age with Phish, String Cheese, and myriad group of other jambands out there, GD music will never be destined for a run of stadium tours and I'm not talking one reunion tour, but several strung together over a year or two. GD music might just not be the best music out there anymore, but I know I think it is and I would still prefer to see DSO or Furthur over any other band out there. Do I think Furthur could make this happen? Sure, but its going to have to sound like JK is leading, Phil is dropping bombs, and Bobby is well you know Bobby. They have the talent or at least I think so. Its not just DSO fans that groan when Bobby takes Jerry's vocals. The only one's that think that is the way it would sound best are the ones that toured with Ratdog and are used to it by now. Don't get me wrong we all still dance, smile, and when Bobby sings it even makes me feel better about singing and screaming along, but the band is not creating the best sound possible in my opinion. Maybe I am too accustomed to JK's voice. This all could just be me and in my head, but I still love the way JK sings Jerry. Peace and love people. Look forward to DSO tomorrow night.

Maybe I am too accustomed to JK's voice. This all could just be me and in my head, but I still love the way JK sings Jerry. Peace and love people. Look forward to DSO tomorrow night.

No it's not just you. I have to believe that it's not just a matter of opinion, but that there are standards of musical taste that can be agreed upon by most people. And while there may be some who think vocal quality is more important and others who are more interested in feeling and interpretation, when it comes to singing Jerry's songs, John wins on both criteria. At this point I just give up. After being teased by the rehearsal version of Ripple with John and Bob sharing the vocals, it's sad to again move backwards. It's really hard to imagine at this point that Bob and Phil actually believe they do a better job singing these songs. I assume it's just ego. But who knows? There is an expression for people who dress in extremely poor taste, that they live in a house with no mirrors. Maybe those guys just live in a house with no monitors. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about it. For my part, I'm getting a hat made up for the next time I attend a Furthur concert embroidered, "Let John Sing!"

okay here goes

I am breaking my silence

I saw all 3 Oakland shows, both Asbury shows, NYE shows, 6 rehearsal shows, Miami & Orlando, AC, both Colorado shows, Phil's birthday, and now 3 nights Mt. Aire.

I have been extremely disappointed with the guests added to the stage

the back-up singers were neither here nor there but....

I have had enough Jackie Greene to last me a lifetime

as for Larry and Teresa... I thought that was Phil's last band why are they still taking up space on the stage

I hope Phil can get back to the core five when summer tour starts or I will be done with Furthur

nothing has compared to Ashbury, AC & second night second set Colorado

imo its been going downhill

at Mt. Aire

JK was so far to the right side of the stage I could never see him, and when I went to the middle to look

the way they had the stage set up JK appeared to be just another back-up singer

then when they put Larry & Teresa on stage between JK & Bob, JK was even more off to the far right

pisses me off!!!!!

I want to see JK in the band not as a sidecar

I could go on and on about JK not singing enough

but that's been said plenty

my biggest complaint about Mt. AIre was the lack of musical flow

too much start and stop

too much intros and not enough outros

little to no transitions

some songs seemed unfinished or cut off

hard to find any cohesive groove or sustained dance space

I was bored a lot

I did not like knowing what songs were gonna be played

and most of the songs did not deliver the satisfying vibe I wanted from the music

have I bagged enough?

I had a great time with my friends

I was glad to be there with the moon and the trees

Friday night's "sound check" and Saturday second set worked the best for me out of the whole weekend

but still left me looking forward to maybe actually dancing again some time soon

see y'all in Brooklyn

-e

okay here goes

I am breaking my silence

I saw all 3 Oakland shows, both Asbury shows, NYE shows, 6 rehearsal shows, Miami & Orlando, AC, both Colorado shows, Phil's birthday, and now 3 nights Mt. Aire.

as for Larry and Teresa... I thought that was Phil's last band why are they still taking up space on the stage

I hope Phil can get back to the core five when summer tour starts or I will be done with Furthur

at Mt. Aire

JK was so far to the right side of the stage I could never see him, and when I went to the middle to look

then when they put Larry & Teresa on stage between JK & Bob, JK was even more off to the far right

pisses me off!!!!!

too much start and stop

little to no transitions

I was bored a lot

and most of the songs did not deliver the satisfying vibe I wanted from the music

have I bagged enough?

Friday night's "sound check" and Saturday second set worked the best for me out of the whole weekend

but still left me looking forward to maybe actually dancing again some time soon

see y'all in Brooklyn

-e

Completely with you on the guests and the way JK is often marginalized. Wasn't at Mt. Aire, but was at Phil's birthday. I guess I had completely different expectations for that show. I expected a number A-list guests to show up for a few songs, interspaced with some pure Furthur. Now THAT would have kicked ass. Instead, we got Chris Robinson and Friends all fricken evening, with JK singing ONE song at the very beginning. About halfway through the second second I became absolutely baffled that Phil wouldn't let CR and Jackie Green take a bow and send them on their way. Sounds like this past weekend was more of the same. I just don't get it. This band could be a total powerhouse, but Phil seems to be intent on this being just another version of P&F. I know some here think any such talk is "being negative", but I believe in stating honest opinons. I'll be up in San Rafael again tonight, and I am hoping for the brilliant version of Furthur that I have heard to return. I am just thankful that we have DSO. They have never let me down!

Well, I don't often do this, so take heed...I think I've been too hard on people review Furthur negatively. For that, I'm sorry. I was wrong.

Truth is, my initial reaction was that we Starheads began reacting out of fear...I think people were afraid that DSO was going to wither without JK and began to turn their ire towards Furthur. I think what really got to me was when all of a sudden the same people who praised JK for years as a guitarist began saying "Well, he was never really that good..." I think I overreacted to what were solid criticisms of the band Furthur, dismissing them as nothing but bitterness.

That said, I still think that a lot of the flak Furthur gets is smoke...a good friend of mine (the one who introduced me to DSO years ago, in fact) raved about the energy of Furthur in Colorado (he attended both nights). I still tend to think that Furthur has the potential to be explosive, especially because of Bobby and Phil's playing. My opinions from the recordings I've heard online seem to make me think that they've done a FANTASTIC job resurrecting the old tunes (Alligator, Golden Road, Mason's Children), and I think the Scarlet>Fire's have been delightful. Common thread? JK SONGS! I know I've been the first to say "so what?" but now I'm starting to wonder if JK doesn't also PLAY better when he's singing.

I guess in the end I'm saying, to each their own. This was an awful longwinded way of getting around to it, of course. I'll continue to be a faithful follower of DSO, and I will make it to Furthur one of these days.

• Forum MVP

I think what really got to me was when all of a sudden the same people who praised JK for years as a guitarist began saying "Well, he was never really that good..."

I think your re-writing history in that quote ... you'll find if you look back that most if not all that was said is , more JK , why not more JK , can we have some more JK with our Furthur , PLEASE !!! I'm paraphrasing of course ... the common disappointing thread in all Furthur related conversation was and is from people that feel John is not being utilized to his full potential in Furthur ... the negativity in reviews that you read was that some are not OK with the direction of Furthur and some are very OK , and the some that are not , tend to lean a heavy on Phil and Bobby over it , hence , creating another layer of sometimes high emotional discussion and debate between the folks that are enjoying Furthur as they are and the folks that are looking for more out of Furthur and that would be more JK ... if you look hard enough , you may find some immature remarks about JK , but you'll find mostly people wanting him to be allowed to perform more and that doesn't add up to "he was never really that good"... you should really go and see them when you can and allow only your own feelings and emotions to guide you to a conclusion about them , not what is said on this board , or anywhere else ... :)

Comesatime--

I agree that maybe I stressed the ragging on JK a little too much. However, I have seen more posts in the past few weeks about how JK "fights the fretboard," as it were, than JM or Stu, and even one post that suggested that JK was unduly overrated, contrary to the "overriding opinion" that "JK is the end-all, be-all." Again, I probably overreacted to those comments...I felt anger at the time that someone that gave us such life and energy as a lead guitarist was being criticized, even slightly. Again, I'm sorry, because I feel I let emotions get the best of me.

It's entirely possible DSO really is "better and stronger" than they were before...but I still think back to what drew me to this band, and it was JK. That makes me emotional. I remember standing next to someone at the 12th anniversary show in Hagerstown during "Touch," and he was crying because he said, "When they say, 'We will survive,' who are they trying to convince, me or themselves?" It was tough; he was someone who felt that with JK gone, the soul of the band was gone too. I remember thinking the same thing; how could this guy, who was the primary reason I fell in love with GD music, leave us? I was hurt, angry, etc., but eventually I realized there were more things in this world to lose sleep over. Things would survive.

I'm sorry, I'm an unabashed JK supporter. Dude rocks. I love what I've heard of JK and also of Stu (Stu, perhaps even moreso). The show on 7/10 will be my first DSO show since the 12th anniversary (sorry...no Gratefulfest this year. Just not feasible, financially or time-wise). I still do not know how I will react to someone different on lead, but I'm still sure I'll be dancing and grooving at the rail like I often do.

This band (DSO) brought me to the Grateful Dead's music. I personally love Rob Barraco's presence; I think he's the lightning rod for this whole outfit, the one who lifts them to new heights, personnel changes be damned. I can't wait for 7/10 at State College; it will be a new world for me, and one I want to gladly enter.

• Forum MVP
prideofcucamunga, on 13 May 2010 - 09:59 PM, said:

Hey John A, I can understand why it might be a head scratcher for some, especially for listeners... are you a listener? or a guitar player? I come from a big family, and everyone plays an instrument. I have been playing and teaching guitar for 15 years, never got to see Jerry, but my older brothers did, alot... They also have a bunch of video footage of Garcia, and watching him play guitar shows clearly an "economy of motion" especially with his left hand. This technique is nothing new to playing the guitar, its outlined in most guitar study books, and is cleary used by Mattsen and Allen, but is not shown by Kadlecik. I understand Kadlecik to be a violin player and a mandolin player, I have never heard him play either, but I have heard and seen him close up playing the guitar, I don't know how he learned or who he learned from or maybe he taught himself, but his manner of playing chords, running leads, etc. is foreign, its not economical, and could not be taught to a kid. It works to a point, but there's alot of growth that cannot be attained when your uneconomical about playing the guitar.

My point is that, if you do not have an economy of motion in playing the guitar, its going to be a battle to get around the fingerboard, and that battle can consume your intention, to the point that you don't give yourself a chance to "peak the jam". Take Eaton for example, he is the exact opposite, he is a very economical player, and when I watch him, I can see what positional chord formation he is working out of, for example. With Kadlecik, up close, I can never understand what the heck position he's in... and watching him navigate the fingerboard is painful, even though his result is pretty good.

I brought up this issue 10 years ago to Scott Larned, and he confirmed that Kadlecik did not have the chops on guitar, but he sounded so much like Garcia vocally, that Scott was hoping he would come around on guitar. Kadlecik is clearly the best Garcia voice out there, but guitar-wise he's got a long way to go.

I have heard Mattsen "peak the jam" many times, it comes naturally to him...

I have not heard Allen "peak the jam" yet, although he has an economy of motion that would enable him to grow as a guitarist, and learn how to peak it. I listened to that "Deal" that was posted somewhere here on this board, of Allen with DSO... You wanna hear a band peak the jam on deal? listen to our own local band "Play Dead", listen to the end of "Deal": http://www.myspace.c...laydeadhumboldt

I have never heard Kadlecik with DSO or Furthur peak the jam like that, if you have a link, I would gladly give it a listen

peace

This is the post your talking about ... like I said , see for yourself and judge for yourself ... if you take seriously what everyone writes on this board or any board , it will drive you crazy , trust me ...

• Forum MVP

okay here goes

I am breaking my silence

at Mt. Aire

pisses me off!!!!!

too much start and stop

little to no transitions

I was bored a lot

have I bagged enough?

see y'all in Brooklyn

-e

Well said. I too am bothered that JK is being treated like a sideman. Its a real shame that JK is just another guitar player for hirer in the eyes of Phil. This band should be a celebration of GD music by unleashing JK on the world. Instead, JK is marginalized. I'm over who sings (although more JK would be nice), but how bout they let him play a little. If I didn't believe that the potential to be great is there, I wouldn't be so upset about the whole situation. You would think that if they cared about the audience and delivering the best product musically they would unleash JK on the world, but its complicated, some people really dig Bobby and other really want Phil to sing. Regardless, Furthur would sound best if they let JK play the leader of the band.

Lets just be thankful that DSO is still out there playing GD the way it suppossed to be played.

See ya in Brooklyn.

Guest crazy digits

okay here goes

I am breaking my silence

at Mt. Aire

pisses me off!!!!!

too much start and stop

little to no transitions

I was bored a lot

have I bagged enough?

see y'all in Brooklyn

-e

Ellen, You hit it right on the nose. I would think JK has to be thinking " what am I doing ?" Or, at the very least " where is this going?" Truth betold, I call the Furthur thing moments of brilliance...just that, moments I am thinking this could be the sickest shit ever or what you described above. Not that I'll have a chance to ask JK himself. Tried to reach out to him when in Newark, DE and wouldn't respond to my generosity. But, that is par for the course I suppose...

DSO is still my thing and always will be. They play this music the way I want to hear it..LOVE it!

Archived