Who Was In Cali This Weekend?

gr8fulauditors

Ellen, You hit it right on the nose. I would think JK has to be thinking " what am I doing ?" Or, at the very least " where is this going?" Truth betold, I call the Furthur thing moments of brilliance...just that, moments I am thinking this could be the sickest shit ever or what you described above. Not that I'll have a chance to ask JK himself. Tried to reach out to him when in Newark, DE and wouldn't respond to my generosity. But, that is par for the course I suppose...

DSO is still my thing and always will be. They play this music the way I want to hear it..LOVE it!

I am partial to DSO as well... but if JK is wondering "what am I doing" there was absolutely no indication of that as I watched him play this week...He looked very happy and comfortable in his role in Furthur....He was beaming up there and appeared to have wonderful communication with everyone in the band especially Russo and JC...and that thursday rehearsal was sick...someday in the future when Furthur has folded its tent and JK is speaking freely we might get his honest take on how it was to play with two members of the Grateful Dead...Can't wait for DSO in Cali in Nov w/ JM...

• Forum MVP

I am partial to DSO as well... but if JK is wondering "what am I doing" there was absolutely no indication of that as I watched him play this week...He looked very happy and comfortable in his role in Furthur....He was beaming up there and appeared to have wonderful communication with everyone in the band especially Russo and JC...and that thursday rehearsal was sick...someday in the future when Furthur has folded its tent and JK is speaking freely we might get his honest take on how it was to play with two members of the Grateful Dead...Can't wait for DSO in Cali in Nov w/ JM...

Okay. First of and not in responses to quoted post, I am not in the camp that thinks JK was never really that good. I don't want to start singing JK praises (thats not what this post is about), but I think people know that JK really does it for me. I have to agree with the above post that John is happy in his role with Furthur and enjoying himself. I think he knew he would be treated like a sideman coming into this and he has to be enjoying the paycheck. Additionally, he gets to play for a bigger crowd who all appear to be enjoying themselves and dancing the night away. It might even be hard for him to tell that the music is not of the same quality that he was making together with DSO. All of this is a real shame. It really sucks that we live in a world were money and the masses can lead one to disregard, ignore, or possibly not even know that music being made by your new band isn't as good as the music being made by your old band and in the case of DSO, with or without you. Let me close with by stating the fact that I miss JK and getting to watch him play GD the way the GD did for the greater part of Jerry's life. I think he is an incredible guitar player and is the driving force behind most of Furthur's magical moments. Its tough to accept John may never sing Brokedown for us again.

BTW, I haven't given up on Furthur and I will be at the first shows of the next tour, but I am going to hop off the tour at some point for Gratefulfest. DSO just feels like home. The people, the music, and all around vibe brought forth by DSO create a comfort zone where I can let loose, dance, and be myself. Once again, Thank you DSO. I do not think we can thank DSO enough for doing what they do to bring this great music to life for us.

• Forum MVP

No it's not just you. I have to believe that it's not just a matter of opinion, but that there are standards of musical taste that can be agreed upon by most people. And while there may be some who think vocal quality is more important and others who are more interested in feeling and interpretation, when it comes to singing Jerry's songs, John wins on both criteria. At this point I just give up. After being teased by the rehearsal version of Ripple with John and Bob sharing the vocals, it's sad to again move backwards. It's really hard to imagine at this point that Bob and Phil actually believe they do a better job singing these songs. I assume it's just ego. But who knows? There is an expression for people who dress in extremely poor taste, that they live in a house with no mirrors. Maybe those guys just live in a house with no monitors. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about it. For my part, I'm getting a hat made up for the next time I attend a Furthur concert embroidered, "Let John Sing!"

we stood in front of JK all 3 nights at mt aire in the front row. Our heads are still spinning with joy and appreciation. I don't think Phil n Bobby think they sing the songs "better", I think that the songs they "steal" from JK are songs that at this point in their lives mean a lot to them and they want to express that meaning to us. When JK is NOT singing, he is concentrating a LOT more on playing, and the results were AMAZING. I've never seen him play like that, and that's a good thing. Phil seemed like he was conducting the whole thing and when he heard the sounds his head was playing, the joy on his face was unmistakable and beautiful. We weren't the only ones saying it seemed like these albums were created just so this weekend could happen so many years later. A friend pointed out that not only are Phil and Bobby finally ready to really do something spectacular with these songs, but now we, the fans, are at a point in our lives where we are ready to appreciate the new direction AND carry it on in ways no one was prepared for in the past. It's ok that some of you hate Furthur, or are disapointed by it (we miss JK in DSO, too), but as for us, watching Bobby and especially Phil play with JK is absolutely priceless. If you stand up front, it's easier to see the energy between them all, and it will melt your face (and your ego) if you let it.

that being said, I MISS DSO and can't wait to see them again so I can see my favorite music done RIGHT :)

love you guys,

Mrs. Deviled Egg

Archived