Welcome Jeff Mattson

Dr. Vapor

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Message from the band... so psyched!

"After months of touring and playing with Jeff, we have decided to offer him the

full time gig, which he has gratefully accepted. Jeff has blown us away with his

energy, licks, and presence on stage. He is a great guy, an inspiring musician

and so much fun to perform with, we cannot wait to get back out there and mix it

up with him once again. We are having more fun than ever and are looking forward

to seeing you all at the upcoming shows."

Congratulations Jeff, and thanks to the band for giving a great trial run to Stu.

My first time seeing JM with DSO was the Penn's Peak show right around Thanksgiving. He was only able to play a few songs right before the set break, but wow, they were barn burners. Fast forward to the New Years run. Wow! I was floored. Someone used the term "Psychedelic Shitstorm" to describe that 3rd set, and that was as apt as could be.

Anyway, I can only envision good things ahead for DSO with Mr. Jeff Mattson. Onward to Gratefulfest, and 4 grate nights!

Welcome Jeff and thanks for some smoking shows sure many more to come , I was lucky enough to see your first show with DSO after the show i was taking to a friend and we both where like WOW DSO will be more then fine and then the NYE run it was EPIC for me it was my FAVORITE DSO show since 2001 , it's crazy now when i see the band you guys and Lisa are just of the HOOK GREAT please all of you keep doing what you all do . Peace Dave :dsorocks:

Congratulations, Jeff, on getting the job ! We were pretty confident that you would be asked to sign on the dotted line, but it is welcome news to finally hear that it is official. And thank you, DSO bandmates, for giving him the opportunity to shine. He is in the best of company, and will excel as you all grow with him. :D

I hope everyone has a blast at the Ledges, and the other festivals this Summer. I won't be able to make them, but I look forward to seeing you all at Bergen PAC in August.

Peace

Topher

Guest Rob Eaton

I'm fairly confident this decision was made before April...nonetheless...I am HAPPY!!! :icon14:

This is a false statement..... we voted the day of mountain Jam..... Please have facts accurate before spreading rumors on how we deal with our internal issues.

Guest jazz-man

Thanks for setting the facts straight, Rob. And welcome Jeff. I have been unable to see any shows since the ones just after JK did the first Furthur Fox shows and I saw the band at the Crystal Ballroom where they blew me away. I have heard good things about how JM fits in and look forward to seeing somes shows someday! Keep up the excellent work, you guys are my favorite band. And thank you Everybody's Favorite Santa for turning me onto these guys! RIP Roger.

This is a false statement..... we voted the day of mountain Jam..... Please have facts accurate before spreading rumors on how we deal with our internal issues.

:rolleyes:

With all due respect I was stating an opinion..."I'm fairly confident this decision was made before April."

That aside...come on? You personally didn't know who you were going with before April Rob?

You guys may have not voted until Mountain Jam, but I can't see how you wouldn't have known. If that's the case...wonderful...if not...still wonderful!!!

I guess it just seems strange to have the lead guitar slot up in the air with all the talk of you guys' first original project in the works. (prior to April)

My pure and utter speculation is that there were a couple member(s) wanting to give Stu a whirl and a few more (whose votes held more weight) that had already settled on Mattson. In order to keep the peace Stu was "tried out" and "voted" for...the American way!

It's all good, as they say...

Lets not get away from the beauty...

We've been able to experience both musicians in different capacities...beautiful music was created, smiles were formed, and minds were blown.

On that note, When do you think you'll be releasing some downloads from April?

The Mattson shows came out awful fast, I can't wait to hear the Stu shows! Especially with a touch of that Grammy winner Rob Eaton's sonic expertise.

:dsorocks:

Congratulations to Jeff and to DSO for a great decision! The easy part was that there were two excellent and wonderful musicians from which to choose, the hard part was to make the tough decision! DSO will rock into their next phase of life with a great guy and musician in Jeff and Josed and I wish you ALL the best for the upcoming adventures together! See ya on down the line... C & J (The Stargayz)

Guest Rob Eaton

:rolleyes:

With all due respect I was stating an opinion..."I'm fairly confident this decision was made before April."

That aside...come on? You personally didn't know who you were going with before April Rob?

That's right I didn't know.... It's a little distasteful for you to insinuate that somehow that was not the case.

"I guess it just seems strange to have the lead guitar slot up in the air with all the talk of you guys' first original project in the works. (prior to April)"

Why is it strange to work on an original in the winter when we had Jeff? The only time we work on this stuff is on the road and Jeff was a big part of getting this going.

"My pure and utter speculation is that there were a couple member(s) wanting to give Stu a whirl and a few more (whose votes held more weight) that had already settled on Mattson."

Boy there are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start. Firstly we all knew we were going to have Stu in April before we did our Feb tour with Mattson. Thats right BEFORE. And ALL band members have equal weight in this band and to say otherwise is again wrong. How could we settle on Jeff when he did not even know if he wanted the gig at all.

"In order to keep the peace Stu was "tried out" and "voted" for...the American way!"

Wrong again...

You remind me of another 420 who used to try to stir the pot so to speak. We are celebrating Jeff and his addition to playing with us full time let's keep the focus there.. OK? Please stop trying to tell people what we think and did!

• Forum MVP

So lets make one thing clear...

I am not going to get my chance at lead guitar ??

Can I try out for Bill Graham's spot then ... "Ladies and Gentlemen... Dark Star Orchestra" ... :blink::wacko:

Congrats Jeff... hope to see ya all in Newark, OH and Huntington, WV when I am home visiting the family in Ohio come August ..

So lets make one thing clear...

I am not going to get my chance at lead guitar ??

Can I try out for Bill Graham's spot then ... "Ladies and Gentlemen... Dark Star Orchestra" ... :blink::wacko:

Congrats Jeff... hope to see ya all in Newark, OH and Huntington, WV when I am home visiting the family in Ohio come August ..

Matt... I DID introduce them twice and it was fun!!! I don't think they are looking for a permanent "BG" tho....boohoo!!! LOL Hugs to ya...

Bravo, Rob! This time should be a celebration of the newest member of the DSO family and the start of an exciting evolution taking place before our eyes.

Let's keep our eyes on the prize. Thanks to both Stu and Jeff for making wonderful music for us over the past 8 months; I certainly don't feel anyone "won" or "lost" this vote!

Now, if we can just get Barraco to throw down a true, 25-minute "Lovelight," complete with the lengthy vocal rap in the middle, things can really get cooking! Err...more cooking!

That's right I didn't know.... It's a little distasteful for you to insinuate that somehow that was not the case.

Why is it strange to work on an original in the winter when we had Jeff? The only time we work on this stuff is on the road and Jeff was a big part of getting this going.

Boy there are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start. Firstly we all knew we were going to have Stu in April before we did our Feb tour with Mattson. Thats right BEFORE. And ALL band members have equal weight in this band and to say otherwise is again wrong. How could we settle on Jeff when he did not even know if he wanted the gig at all.

Wrong again...

You remind me of another 420 who used to try to stir the pot so to speak. We are celebrating Jeff and his addition to playing with us full time let's keep the focus there.. OK? Please stop trying to tell people what we think and did!

I'm glad I'm wrong...thank you for the official clarification. I was merely speculating...and am sorry to have offended you. From my (a casual fan) perspective it seemed the decision had been made not long after JK left to go with Mattson. I remember even noticing the website picture (at the top) had changed to a group shot with Mattson. I thought it was cool. You have to look at it from an outsider's perspective too I suppose. Plus this is a message board for discussion. Chill. I guess the whole process kind of intrigues me. You seem very defensive. I meant no harshness and apologize for any you felt.

475px-thebiglebowski1998screenshot2.jpg

Needless to say Mattson melts faces into Lysergic puddles...he's on-point, and I've always been supportive of him and DSO and just about everything related to the Good Ol' Grateful Dead. I'm not stirring any pot...and Pugdog420 is the only online name I use. Take it easy, Man

Thanks again for explaining the process to a layman. My incorrect speculation is no longer necessary. I have full confidence wonderful things will be created.

On to music...

Can we expect any April shows to be available on nugs.net?

When will the original project will take flight?

...if you don't mind

• Forum MVP

I'm glad I'm wrong...thank you for the official clarification.

I would have stopped right there...or, even better, let the whole thing drop altogether.

Saw Jeff with the band at the Vic earlier this year. Very, very happy with this news. Very happy.

Many thanks.

Archived