Welcome Jeff Mattson

Dr. Vapor

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rolleyes:

With all due respect I was stating an opinion..."I'm fairly confident this decision was made before April."

That aside...come on? You personally didn't know who you were going with before April Rob?

You guys may have not voted until Mountain Jam, but I can't see how you wouldn't have known. If that's the case...wonderful...if not...still wonderful!!!

I guess it just seems strange to have the lead guitar slot up in the air with all the talk of you guys' first original project in the works. (prior to April)

My pure and utter speculation is that there were a couple member(s) wanting to give Stu a whirl and a few more (whose votes held more weight) that had already settled on Mattson. In order to keep the peace Stu was "tried out" and "voted" for...the American way!

It's all good, as they say...

Lets not get away from the beauty...

We've been able to experience both musicians in different capacities...beautiful music was created, smiles were formed, and minds were blown.

On that note, When do you think you'll be releasing some downloads from April?

The Mattson shows came out awful fast, I can't wait to hear the Stu shows! Especially with a touch of that Grammy winner Rob Eaton's sonic expertise.

:dsorocks:

Questioning a band member on how it went down? Really??? Seriously??? Good luck with that!

Questioning a band member on how it went down? Really??? Seriously??? Good luck with that!

Yeah...it seems as though we are to be told, and not to ask.

I guess I just wanted to know what went into the process...it interests me and this is a message board...sorry. :rolleyes:

• Forum MVP

I'm glad I'm wrong...thank you for the official clarification. I was merely speculating...and am sorry to have offended you. From my (a casual fan) perspective it seemed the decision had been made not long after JK left to go with Mattson. I remember even noticing the website picture (at the top) had changed to a group shot with Mattson. I thought it was cool. You have to look at it from an outsider's perspective too I suppose. Plus this is a message board for discussion. Chill. I guess the whole process kind of intrigues me. You seem very defensive. I meant no harshness and apologize for any you felt.

Needless to say Mattson melts faces into Lysergic puddles...he's on-point, and I've always been supportive of him and DSO and just about everything related to the Good Ol' Grateful Dead. I'm not stirring any pot...and Pugdog420 is the only online name I use. Take it easy, Man

Thanks again for explaining the process to a layman. My incorrect speculation is no longer necessary. I have full confidence wonderful things will be created.

On to music...

Can we expect any April shows to be available on nugs.net?

When will the original project will take flight?

...if you don't mind

Speculation sounds like "I think.." and "My opinion is..." and "I wonder if..." and not like "I am fairly confident...". That implies that you have reasons to believe. The picture changed to Mattson because they had to get rid of JK and Gumby wanted too much money to put his picture on there. Intrigue generally causes one to ask questions, not state hyperbole with confidence. Telling one to "Chill" and saying they seem "defensive" when your implication is that they were just toying with Stu is certainly reason for some backlash.

Not trying to beat a dead horse with you bro because you did essentially apologize, but I consider it a pretty cool thing that band members get on here and communicate with us and I don't think it's our place to argue with them from a position of ignorance. You were right about one thing........"wonderful things will be created."

PS: I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Rob to answer your questions... :huh:

Speculation sounds like "I think.." and "My opinion is..." and "I wonder if..." and not like "I am fairly confident...". That implies that you have reasons to believe. The picture changed to Mattson because they had to get rid of JK and Gumby wanted too much money to put his picture on there. Intrigue generally causes one to ask questions, not state hyperbole with confidence. Telling one to "Chill" and saying they seem "defensive" when your implication is that they were just toying with Stu is certainly reason for some backlash.

Not trying to beat a dead horse with you bro because you did essentially apologize, but I consider it a pretty cool thing that band members get on here and communicate with us and I don't think it's our place to argue with them from a position of ignorance. You were right about one thing........"wonderful things will be created."

PS: I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Rob to answer your questions... :huh:

You're right...very good points.

I certainly could've chosen my words better...and yes, "fairly confident" does tend to imply something factual went on behind my conclusion. In reality the only "facts" were the website picture change (prior to Stu) and the way the tours were announced in conjunction with the original project...including Mattson touring with them after Stu. I drew my conclusions from that, and no download releases from April...from an outsider's perspective it seemed as though there was never a chance Stu was going to take over on lead, regardless of what happened in April. :rolleyes: I suppose I drew my conclusions from all that I had to go off of as a fan. And no, it really doesn't matter and isn't any of our business, but DSO made it our business by announcing this "try-out"...it interests the fans. Or me...at least. I'm venturing a guess that I'm just the only one being vocal about this while others have their own questions that are remaining their own. Right or wrong, I'm glad it was clarified.

...and no, my breath will not be held for those ?'s to be answered :blink: ...or for any April downloads...

Makes a fan wonder:

Is it because the shows were not worthy? Or some other reason :rolleyes:?

Guest Rob Eaton

I am the one who does the mastering on DSO shows. At the end of the April I decided to treat myself for Alcohol abuse and thus took some time off from doing extra dso work so I could work on my own recovery. Is that good enough for you... My last word on this subject...

Have only seen Stu with DSO and he was wonderful. I am most certainly looking forward to experiencing JM next time DSO are in the Bay Area!!

Regarding the choice, one thing that seems to be getting glossed over is that both of these superb musians have been involved with other bands. I don't suspect it was a matter of which one was picked by DSO and they would come running because they needed the job. I hope that Donna is completely cool with this decision. From what DSO has posted previously, they intended to be very respectful of her feelings on the matter. I would love to see Donna continue to sometimes show up and sing with DSO.

At the end of the April I decided to treat myself for Alcohol abuse and thus took some time off from doing extra dso work so I could work on my own recovery.

Rob....that is great news and as a big fan I wish you nothing but great health and positive thoughts as you go down that path..

As for Mattson the guy is a great pro...Seen him once with DSO and once with Donna.....

• Forum MVP

I am the one who does the mastering on DSO shows. At the end of the April I decided to treat myself for Alcohol abuse and thus took some time off from doing extra dso work so I could work on my own recovery. Is that good enough for you... My last word on this subject...

don't drink & go to meetings!

• Forum MVP

Awesome to hear. Plenty of us around that have been there.

:icon14: Good for me, better for you! :icon14:

(me-dank beer)---> :cheers: <---(you-root beer)

lebowski.jpg

I have no Furthur questions (literally, and figuratively)...thanks again for the explanation, it helps a lot.

aob_yellow.jpg

Flight of the seabirds,

Scattered like lost words,

Wheel to the storm and fly...

Fare thee well now, let your life proceed by it's own design.

Nothing to tell now, let the words be yours, I'm done with mine...

Much love...

wharf-rat.jpg

Congrats Jeff

That's good news Rob!

Best post I've read in a long time.

The first days are the hardest days...

• Forum MVP

I am the one who does the mastering on DSO shows. At the end of the April I decided to treat myself for Alcohol abuse and thus took some time off from doing extra dso work so I could work on my own recovery.

Rob....that is great news and as a big fan I wish you nothing but great health and positive thoughts as you go down that path..

don't drink & go to meetings!

Awesome to hear. Plenty of us around that have been there.

That's good news Rob!

Best post I've read in a long time.

The first days are the hardest days...

One day (show) at a time .

Home.jpg

• Advisory Board

I think y'all need to stop being so sensitive...

When you're looking at it from a fan's prospective, you can clearly see the energy on stage higher with Jeff then that it was with Stu, so I'm sure everyone who saw both Jeff and Stu playing could clearly see that Jeff made everyone "happier" on stage versus Stu... Atleast that's the way I saw it. I can see where 420 got his own personal opinon from very clearly. Of course it all comes down to a vote, where every band member has his and her vote on every matter when it comes to the DSO org, and I think that voting Jeff in for the full gig was a great vote. From what I've seen over the years, ever decision y'all have ever made has done nothing but good for the band as a whole. Just remember, Rob, those of us on here are fans, and we don't get the inside information, therefore we think from what we see... and watching you all play with Jeff versus Stu, you could clearly see that the band as a whole was happier and more musically energized playing with Jeff. So it's pretty easy for alot of people to jump to those kind of conclusions. No one ever spreads rumors on here for the most part, we just state what we see, and what we think. Right or wrong in our own opinions and observations, I think we have that right to do that on our message board.

Good luck with the sobriety, Eaton.. I mean that from the bottom of my heart... Love ya buddy...

• Forum MVP

Right on brother........dive in......the water's great. :icon14:

When Barraco was playing with the band after Scott. I knew he was going to be the one to fill those shoes before the end of the first set. The first show i listened to with Jeff leading guitar was the same. Funny enough, tonight by random chance i listed to my first DSO show (DEAD 5/11/01, RIP/Welcome Home). DSO you keep this beautiful dream alive and I can't thank you enough for your years of hard work, dedication and heartache along the way. Every show with DSO is a special place; some might call it church, to me its simply beyond description.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

This is a false statement..... we voted the day of mountain Jam..... Please have facts accurate before spreading rumors on how we deal with our internal issues.

amen. everyone wants to think they have an "inside" opinion. Let it be :cheers:

Congrats to Jeff!

37946295_d2efa4266b_b.jpg

let it be known, i merely was stating observations from the outside. apparently this is a no no in these parts and i will refrain from casting any opinion on the band and it's decisions. i personally appreciate whatever decision they made and enjoy both Jeff and Stu!

With that said, all the best to Jeff and DSO.

peace,

waldo

• Forum MVP

The businesses side of the music industry can be pretty cut throat .... I know that it's hard to believe from where we stand as fans because the pros make it look like such fun .... I hope Stu was treated with respect and dignity regarding this decision as he is a professional that's making a strong name for himself and a down right nice guy ... always remember to watch the toes you step on the way up , as they may be attached to the ass you have to kiss on the way down !!!

Congrats Jeff for securing the lead guitar position and best of luck to DSO !!! :539:

Archived