Welcome Jeff Mattson

Dr. Vapor

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rob Eaton

""let me start by saying, I am not here to start any rumors, rock any boats or piss anyone off. just want to state what some on the "outside" clearly seen coming. any voting was merely a formality. it was quite obvious who the guy would be to replace John. not wrong, just obvious.

let's see, Jeff got DEC, JAN, FEB, MAR, MAY and JUNE.

STU got APRIL!

and they needed a Vote?"""

Ok I'm going to explain this one more time.... In Jan BEFORE our Feb with Jeff, Stu's camp wanted to book JGB shows in the summer and needed to know THEN about our summer plans with Stu. Since we had yet to tour with Jeff or Stu all we had to go on were the few fill in shows Jeff has done with us to finish the year after John left. SInce we knew we could still produce good shows with Jeff we had no choice but to take Jeff for the summer. Without first playing with Stu we really had no reasonable choice. Can you blame us? Was it done because we didn't want to give Stu the summer? Come on it's really not that sinister.

""the whole month Stu was with the band, Jeff's photo was the one on display""

Well we don't deal with the web site we deal with music. There were no shots of us with Stu before we left for tour and if you frequent the site enough you should have noticed that things don't change very often there so this is no surprise...

""kudo's for the sobriety""

Thanks

"" but not mastering ANY of stu's run falls right in line with all this. Especially when it just happens to be the months(april and may)they could have been mastered, but these were also the debut of the new band American Beauty.""

OK let me explain this again.. The mastering process is all done real time from hard drives that we have on the road. Our break after the tour with Stu was a short 17 days. As it was I had not planned on returning to tour till Providence but I was doing very well and asked the band to come back early which they agreed to. I didn't have the hard drive at home even if I wanted to master anything. It doesn't come off the road to my house till it's full and it will be shipped back to my home once it's full and I will see what is there. This is no different then what I've always done. As far as American Beauty is concerned it's a bunch of guys who get together and play GD music with on the side in Colorado. We've played together for years now. We used to be called "The Rocky Mountain Grateful Dead Revue" but after we changed drummer and Keyboard players we changed the name. No big drama here either.

""IMHO, Stu already knew he wasn't getting the gig, and that is why he went ahead and booked his schedule BEFORE this vote occured. """

Won't speak for Stu but I do know he would have liked the gig and played his heart out on tour. I doubt very much if in early Jan he felt he had no chance to get the gig. If that was the case why bother going at all?

"" i just don't think stu really had a chance but merely "filled in" for Jeff."""

Well I think Stu had every chance and we have a great relationship with him. People need to get over the "Theories" about why we choose Jeff and move on.....

Rob

I'm glad I'm not alone here Waldo

Stu was confirmed to play with The Schwag for May->July but Aug->September->? were up in the air (official word from The Schwag)...From what I gather Stu left his schedule open in the event he was picked up by DSO. :rolleyes:

And yeah, he probably knew before said "vote" where he was going and has since posted his upcoming schedule...like Waldo says :rolleyes:

I can tell by attendance his run with DSO certainly didn't hurt him...he's gathered quite a few fans and certainly isn't going anywhere. :icon14:

Not to mention the fact that Melvin Seals is playing keys for The Schwag w/Stu Allen at the upcoming Schwagstocks!!! Oh, and JGB is playing too. :wub:

Here's a SBD recording of their recent show (also with Melvin Seals)...Stu's playing a replica of Jerry's Wolf guitar...

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2010-05-29

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's very listenable :)

I just wanted to step in and say WELCOME JEFF!

I was very nervous when John left, but I was lucky enough to see the band with Jeff when they came through Ithaca. All I needed to hear was the first chorus of "California Earthquake" to know that DSO was going to be just fine.

And by the time we were all shouting "I AM! I AM! I AM!" during Let It Grow, I knew the band would be BETTER tahn fine. I walked out that night saying to myself "I can't believe it, but the band may actually be BETTER now!". I stand by that opinion.

I look forward to many mind-melting nights with Jeff at the helm, and I am extremely excited to see how this band evolves along side him. I feel Jeff's inclusion has infused the band with a new and exciting (oftentimes extremely psychedelic) energy. And now there are originals in the works as well? What an exciting time to be a DSO fan!

See you all at the Ledges for Thursday night soundcheck!

• Forum MVP

Welcome to the circus Jeff. You've already spent sometime as the ring leader and I am sure you will excel as a permanent member.

Voting and the voting process can merely be a formality, but to speculate that the decision was made before the vote was made is simply ludicrous. I wasn't alive, but the Chicago Tribune once wrongly stated "Dewey Defeats Truman" because they didn't wait for the votes to accurately be counted. Hell, I don't want to start a discussion on this, but the 2000 election between Gore and Bush doesn't have a clear winner because the media, politicians, and thus, the people of states declare winners in states before all the votes are counted and in places like Florida with two time zones, before all the votes are cast. Stu had a chance until the vote was made and the decision was made official. No need to bitch, complain, or demand answers about the process because you don't like the decision or you don't think the process was fair. My dad once told me life isn't fair and so far, I have discovered him to be correct so to expect any process to be fair seems irrational. The band voted; a decision made, and lets be supportive of the new lead guitar player of our favorite band. There really was no wrong choice for the fans on this matter.

Rob E, I don't think pugdog420 is captain420. I don't know pugdog420, but I do know captain420 and I do not think he currently posts on this forum. I don't know if you thought that or were just stating that this person stirs up stuff like he did. Good luck with your recovery and sobriety brother.

Once again, welcome to the band Jeff. I will make a non electronic welcome at the ledges. We will be seeing quite a lot of each other down the line.

""let me start by saying, I am not here to start any rumors, rock any boats or piss anyone off. just want to state what some on the "outside" clearly seen coming. any voting was merely a formality. it was quite obvious who the guy would be to replace John. not wrong, just obvious.

let's see, Jeff got DEC, JAN, FEB, MAR, MAY and JUNE.

STU got APRIL!

and they needed a Vote?"""

Ok I'm going to explain this one more time.... In Jan BEFORE our Feb with Jeff, Stu's camp wanted to book JGB shows in the summer and needed to know THEN about our summer plans with Stu. Since we had yet to tour with Jeff or Stu all we had to go on were the few fill in shows Jeff has done with us to finish the year after John left. SInce we knew we could still produce good shows with Jeff we had no choice but to take Jeff for the summer. Without first playing with Stu we really had no reasonable choice. Can you blame us? Was it done because we didn't want to give Stu the summer? Come on it's really not that sinister.

""the whole month Stu was with the band, Jeff's photo was the one on display""

Well we don't deal with the web site we deal with music. There were no shots of us with Stu before we left for tour and if you frequent the site enough you should have noticed that things don't change very often there so this is no surprise...

""kudo's for the sobriety""

Thanks

"" but not mastering ANY of stu's run falls right in line with all this. Especially when it just happens to be the months(april and may)they could have been mastered, but these were also the debut of the new band American Beauty.""

OK let me explain this again.. The mastering process is all done real time from hard drives that we have on the road. Our break after the tour with Stu was a short 17 days. As it was I had not planned on returning to tour till Providence but I was doing very well and asked the band to come back early which they agreed to. I didn't have the hard drive at home even if I wanted to master anything. It doesn't come off the road to my house till it's full and it will be shipped back to my home once it's full and I will see what is there. This is no different then what I've always done. As far as American Beauty is concerned it's a bunch of guys who get together and play GD music with on the side in Colorado. We've played together for years now. We used to be called "The Rocky Mountain Grateful Dead Revue" but after we changed drummer and Keyboard players we changed the name. No big drama here either.

""IMHO, Stu already knew he wasn't getting the gig, and that is why he went ahead and booked his schedule BEFORE this vote occured. """

Won't speak for Stu but I do know he would have liked the gig and played his heart out on tour. I doubt very much if in early Jan he felt he had no chance to get the gig. If that was the case why bother going at all?

"" i just don't think stu really had a chance but merely "filled in" for Jeff."""

Well I think Stu had every chance and we have a great relationship with him. People need to get over the "Theories" about why we choose Jeff and move on.....

Rob

Well forum goers....got any more insightful theories of dog crap? This thread started out with good intentions but soon turned to mindless dribble. Hope putting one of the band members on the spot was worth it. If you bump into Mr. Eaton I wouldn't tell him you were the idiot who just had to know how it went down. Let the sleeping dog lie, Its over!!!!

I love Jeff too...let this be understood...the choice wasn't wrong...only the band knows what's right...we can only go off of what we see and hear from the "outside". I do feel we have the right to speculate until the truth is known...with life in general. But even from the fan's perspective...hardly a bad choice.

His bird Song in Dallas had me puddled in the floor...and Austin's 'St Stephen>William Tell>Eleven' was unbelievable. He's an incredible musician and sounds like a really nice guy. Great chops, stage presence, everything. He has IT and I'm happy to hear what is created.

For what it's worth I definitely only use this screen name...perhaps just "pugdog" on other sites but nothing else. If I felt it necessary to hide from my words or thoughts I wouldn't be able to sleep at night (and I'm a deep sleeper). It's just not my style. I don't regret my thoughts, just my choice of words (to which I have apologized).

I still would love to hear some April shows when the time is right...and only then. In the meantime keep the most important thing...the most important thing. :)

Well forum goers....got any more insightful theories of dog crap? This thread started out with good intentions but soon turned to mindless dribble. Hope putting one of the band members on the spot was worth it. If you bump into Mr. Eaton I wouldn't tell him you were the idiot who just had to know how it went down. Let the sleeping dog lie, Its over!!!!

I'm not afraid of my opinions ARCH...If I run into him I'll introduce myself as Pugdog and he can spit or smile. Quite frankly...I don't care. B)

Thanks for the insult! :)

Enjoy your happy life.

I think y'all need to stop being so sensitive...

When you're looking at it from a fan's prospective, you can clearly see the energy on stage higher with Jeff then that it was with Stu, so I'm sure everyone who saw both Jeff and Stu playing could clearly see that Jeff made everyone "happier" on stage versus Stu... Atleast that's the way I saw it. I can see where 420 got his own personal opinon from very clearly. Of course it all comes down to a vote, where every band member has his and her vote on every matter when it comes to the DSO org, and I think that voting Jeff in for the full gig was a great vote. From what I've seen over the years, ever decision y'all have ever made has done nothing but good for the band as a whole. Just remember, Rob, those of us on here are fans, and we don't get the inside information, therefore we think from what we see... and watching you all play with Jeff versus Stu, you could clearly see that the band as a whole was happier and more musically energized playing with Jeff. So it's pretty easy for alot of people to jump to those kind of conclusions. No one ever spreads rumors on here for the most part, we just state what we see, and what we think. Right or wrong in our own opinions and observations, I think we have that right to do that on our message board.

Good luck with the sobriety, Eaton.. I mean that from the bottom of my heart... Love ya buddy...

Haven't seem JM yet, so I can't make a side-by-side comparison of the onstage energy and comfort level. However, I did see Stu and the onstage chemistry looked pretty damn great to me. There were smiles going around all night--especially between Stu, Koritz, and Rob B., who were on stage left. I look forward to seeing DSO with JM next time they're on the west coast. I'm sure I will be very pleased, but I will miss that magnificent voice of Stu's that I heard in San Francisco. I'll just have to go see him play without DSO.

For what it's worth I definitely only use this screen name...perhaps just "pugdog" on other sites but nothing else. If I felt it necessary to hide from my words or thoughts I wouldn't be able to sleep at night (and I'm a deep sleeper). It's just not my style. I don't regret my thoughts, just my choice of words (to which I have apologized).

I still would love to hear some April shows when the time is right...and only then. In the meantime keep the most important thing...the most important thing. :)

I'm not afraid of my opinions ARCH...If I run into him I'll introduce myself as Pugdog and he can spit or smile. Quite frankly...I don't care. B)

Thanks for the insult! :)

Enjoy your happy life.

Pugdog-

I myself appreciate your solo screen name approach to this forum!

Unfortuanately quite a few folks here just say whatever they want & if it's over the top/arguementive/etc... ,they just post as thier alias' & the pot is stirred!

I hope you continue to post around here & don't just fade of into the sunset ,as others recently have( example: past advisory board members-not to be named @ this time)!

Peace,

Rob

• Advisory Board

Pugdog-

I myself appreciate your solo screen name approach to this forum!

Unfortuanately quite a few folks here just say whatever they want & if it's over the top/arguementive/etc... ,they just post as thier alias' & the pot is stirred!

I hope you continue to post around here & don't just fade of into the sunset ,as others recently have( example: past advisory board members-not to be named @ this time)!

Peace,

Rob

Rob,

Why don't you come out and say exactly what you mean?

Barry

• Forum MVP

Rob,

Barry

Nice to see ya Dr Barry ... been a while ... I called you last week to talk about things , good things ... call me when you get a chance . my phone wont text , I can read them but cant return them in text form .

Mike

Rob may be talking about the fact that pug was likened to be another 420 by Rob E. ... Pug was also called an idiot by ARCH who is obviously someones alter ego , it would be much more respectful to be called an idiot by the actual person ... Pug's interest on this thread is the discussion about the decision to go with Jeff and although DSO has every right to choose their lead guitar , Pug's questions seemed to put Rob Eaton in a bad defensive place ,but the board members do have rights also to discuss their feelings on the subject , but if ALL parties don't watch their tone the subject always has a possibility to take a bad turn and it did get a little intense unfortunately ... pugdog has always been a supportive and intellectual member of the forum and I hope he continues to be so .... weather right or wrong we all deserve a second chance " One Day At A Time "and yours truly is proof of that .

• Advisory Board

Rob may be talking about the fact that pug was likened to be another 420 by Rob E. ... Pug was also called an idiot by ARCH who is obviously someones alter ego , it would be much more respectful to be called an idiot by the actual person ... Pug's interest on this thread is the discussion about the decision to go with Jeff and although DSO has every right to choose their lead guitar , Pug's questions seemed to put Rob Eaton in a bad defensive place ,but the board members do have rights also to discuss their feelings on the subject , but if ALL parties don't watch their tone the subject always has a possibility to take a bad turn and it did get a little intense unfortunately ... pugdog has always been a supportive and intellectual member of the forum and I hope he continues to be so .... weather right or wrong we all deserve a second chance " One Day At A Time "and yours truly is proof of that .

To be more specific I was curious about the Advisory Board reference mainly, and secondly about the alter ego reference. My post really had no comment on Pugdogs comments or viewpoint. Rob took the thread in a somewhat new direction and since I am a member of the Advisory Board and he mentioned it I just wanted to see if he would maybe be more clear about what he was saying.

As far as Pugdog goes, at least in this thread, I found his posts presumptious and insensitive. The words "supportive and intellectual" do not come to my mind. All are entitled to their opinions, no ill will meant to Pugdog. Just my opinion.

And I think it was very brave of Rob Eaton to disclose what he did publicly. I wish him absolute success and strength. I know he will achieve his goals with all the support of his fans. Way to go Rob. That kind of public statement will certainly give strength to others who may need it.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Maybe this is one of the reasons Row Jimmy doesn't come on the board anymore.You god a threat started for the sake of congratuating Jeff and it turns into this mess,Deadhead Mike .What the hell you doing up and posting at 3:30 in the morning? Manic episode?

Rob,

Barry

Barry,

While you requested that I say exactly what I mean......I doubt your prepared for it my friend!

All I was getting @ was stated in the prior post :

1) Post whatever is on your mind, just do it under your own name(not select an alias from a list of screen names & get things cranked up!)

2)Pugdog has the right to inquire about anything he likes, without getting a defensive response from anyone!

While I appreciate the official response from Rob E., It would have been better if he stated the facts & didn't take it as a personal attack on DSO( or himself)-IMO

3)Since there hasn't been many advisory board members who requested to be removed & haven't signed in in months-We all know who I was talking about!

I'll admit that it was an un-needed remark(better left unsaid)!

Rob's sobriety is much more important than any of this BS & my sincere best wishes go out to him!

DSO is still putting out high quality music & that should be all any of us are concerned with!

I've enjoyed the band with JK & Jeff ,and plan on continuing to do just that!

I hope this doesn't become a long drawn out keyboard sparring match -I urge you to contact me thru PM if you want to discuss anything Barry(I'll send my # & we can talk on the phone like the old days, if you prefer)

And by the way......If I need an attorney Mike, I'll keep you in mind.

See 'Ya on the Road,

Rob

• Advisory Board

Barry,

While you requested that I say exactly what I mean......I doubt your prepared for it my friend!

All I was getting @ was stated in the prior post :

1) Post whatever is on your mind, just do it under your own name(not select an alias from a list of screen names & get things cranked up!)

2)Pugdog has the right to inquire about anything he likes, without getting a defensive response from anyone!

While I appreciate the official response from Rob E., It would have been better if he stated the facts & didn't take it as a personal attack on DSO( or himself)-IMO

3)Since there hasn't been many advisory board members who requested to be removed & haven't signed in in months-We all know who I was talking about!

I'll admit that it was an un-needed remark(better left unsaid)!

Rob's sobriety is much more important than any of this BS & my sincere best wishes go out to him!

DSO is still putting out high quality music & that should be all any of us are concerned with!

I've enjoyed the band with JK & Jeff ,and plan on continuing to do just that!

I hope this doesn't become a long drawn out keyboard sparring match -I urge you to contact me thru PM if you want to discuss anything Barry(I'll send my # & we can talk on the phone like the old days, if you prefer)

And by the way......If I need an attorney Mike, I'll keep you in mind.

See 'Ya on the Road,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the response. I have no problems with anything you said in it.

I didn't have any idea you were referring to Rowjimmy. He has been gone for a long time. From my perspective most Advisory Board members stopped being regular posters on The Forums a long time ago, myself included.

I agree, alter egos that people hide behind to just cause trouble cause problems here. I do think that there are people with multiple screen names that do add to the Forums, screen names that are used just to be funny, or ironic, but not to needlessly cause trouble. I'm not even sure that those are really "alter egos", more like characters, or clowns used for fun and to try and make the Forums more light hearted at times. I think it is truly an "alter ego" when you are hiding behind it. I could see where someone may not want the whole world to know that a "character" is also them, as the pseudo mystery of the "character" would be lost, and that's part of the whole joke.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Rob,

Thanks for the response. I have no problems with anything you said in it.

I didn't have any idea you were referring to Rowjimmy. He has been gone for a long time. From my perspective most Advisory Board members stopped being regular posters on The Forums a long time ago, myself included.

I agree, alter egos that people hide behind to just cause trouble cause problems here. I do think that there are people with multiple screen names that do add to the Forums, screen names that are used just to be funny, or ironic, but not to needlessly cause trouble. I'm not even sure that those are really "alter egos", more like characters, or clowns used for fun and to try and make the Forums more light hearted at times. I think it is truly an "alter ego" when you are hiding behind it. I could see where someone may not want the whole world to know that a "character" is also them, as the pseudo mystery of the "character" would be lost, and that's part of the whole joke.

Dr. B

dr b.

agreed, this used to be a really fun place, and a great place for countless hours of creative energy...

steve

• Forum MVP

dr b.

agreed, this used to be a really fun place, and a great place for countless hours of creative energy...

steve

Dr.B....Whenever I'm at a show or having dinner with a bunch of people who have been around here a long time......and the subject of Alter-Egos on this board comes up.. your name is the first one mentioned.ALWAYS.I don't blame Jimmy for bailing one bit.....this forum is not what it used to be.Take this thread for example.....what should have been a happy place has disintergrated into a monstrosity.I mean for cripes sake....a band member having to defend himself ?Give me a fucking break...and stop with the pseudo names already! It has led to the demise of these boards.

• Forum MVP

I hope and pray that rumors of the death of the Forums are greatly exaggerated.

In the wise words of Walter from the Big Lebowski, "nothing is fucked, dude".

nothing is fucked. :cheers:

Archived