This Place Used To Be Fun.......

Dr. Vapor

• Forum VIP

I joined the forum as member number 49 or so... now we have a number in thousands I believe, and when Ron started it ...it gave us a place to talk about the music we loved and really thought was lost when Jerry passed in August of '95...and then came Dark Star Orchestra and I couldn't stop talking to my friends about the energy I felt back in my body...you got to go see these guys they are amazing..and so the story goes...its been truly a family for me and I have to say what I have seen over the past few months is different....sure times change...but lets remember why we are here...to hear the music played at its highest level...to meet firneds...to laugh and cry about life...lets leave all the BS at the door....it hit me the other night while I was watching the new GD DVD from Philly and just seeing Jerry up there smiling at Brent with his devilish grin and Weir in his poney tale and less than masculine short shorts... I cried and I laughed on how much I miss the Good O'l Grateful Dead.....lets not ruin what we have now but embrace it and make it grow for all the ones who never got hear and see what some of us did....the 15 band members and crew give up so much to keep the flame alive and I say Thank You and I hope everyone else will say it. too.....peace ...Dr. V

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

The reason the Grateful Dead culture is sometimes referred to as a church is because the very foundation upon which the culture was built started back in the 60's and was all about love, acceptance and tolerance. I have fond memories of my first show in March of 85 at Hampton. While the music was certainly compelling, I had not yet established the deep rooted love for the songs that would eventually evoke emotions in me that can only be compared to the emotions I had while falling in love with my wife, or seeing my children born, or sadly watching my Mother die. What hooked me at that time was the people that made up the culture. Hugs from strangers, a discounted tofu dog, a complimentary pipe hit, an invitation to "check out the inside of my bus". Inside the coliseum the back wall of the floor level became a pile of jackets three or four feet high the width of the floor. At the end of the show, people were patiently finding their jackets and helping others find theirs. "Alas, there's my Guatemalan hoodie", just as I left it nearly four hours ago. Indeed, it was a simpler time. Let's not forget how things were when this all started. Us older folks have an obligation to be the example for how it was. People have a right to their opinions, but they also have an obligation to express them with the kindness and empathy that proliferates the culture. The Grateful Dead / hippie culture is (supposed to be) devoid of hostility and hate. That's what I like about it. Let it grow.

The reason the Grateful Dead culture is sometimes referred to as a church is because the very foundation upon which the culture was built started back in the 60's and was all about love, acceptance and tolerance. I have fond memories of my first show in March of 85 at Hampton. While the music was certainly compelling, I had not yet established the deep rooted love for the songs that would eventually evoke emotions in me that can only be compared to the emotions I had while falling in love with my wife, or seeing my children born, or sadly watching my Mother die. What hooked me at that time was the people that made up the culture. Hugs from strangers, a discounted tofu dog, a complimentary pipe hit, an invitation to "check out the inside of my bus". Inside the coliseum the back wall of the floor level became a pile of jackets three or four feet high the width of the floor. At the end of the show, people were patiently finding their jackets and helping others find theirs. "Alas, there's my Guatemalan hoodie", just as I left it nearly four hours ago. Indeed, it was a simpler time. Let's not forget how things were when this all started. Us older folks have an obligation to be the example for how it was. People have a right to their opinions, but they also have an obligation to express them with the kindness and empathy that proliferates the culture. The Grateful Dead / hippie culture is (supposed to be) devoid of hostility and hate. That's what I like about it. Let it grow.

amen.

• Forum MVP

I, wholeheartedly, agree with all the sentiments that have been expressed on this thread thus far. This is the first, and ONLY, message board that I am a member. I joined because of my love for the Grateful Dead and my love for DSO, which has only grown since my first experience at the beautiful Fillmore in '99(still remember the opening thunder of Shakedown to open the first. Only thought that came to mind: "H-O-L-Y shit".

As was stated, with increased population comes some unwanted opinions. At least unwanted by some but, obviously, the sentiment must mean something to whomever put it out there. I have heard and watched some very spirited discussion over the last 8 months and have definitely wondered "what happened to "our" happy, special place?".

I just keep going back to one thought, which I also had after getting on the bus with the good ol GD: Deadheads are some of the kindest, friendliest, compassionate, honest and OPINIONATED people you will ever find.

This place IS still fun, just a little bit different than it was. Its all good. Different opinions are good. Different perspectives are a good thing. That is how we grow: by being involved with people who have differences of opinion and can express those opinions without fear of being shunned. Sounds a lot like a family: just like it used to be :)

Compared to most of you I am relatively new here and to my knowledge have not been involved in any controversy. But I have watched this place change since I have been here and much of it seems to be rooted around the DSO/Furthur and personnel debates. That is a shame because both groups are playing the music we love at a very high level. Even though I am over 50, I only became a fan of GD music about 4 years ago and found this place after seeing my first DSO show in Richmond and experiencing some of the magic, including a filler of So Many Roads that was so perfect I had tears running down my face. Then I looked around and realized that most people did. I have been on the DSO bus ever since. But I am also a JK fan and I cannot ignore what Phil and Bobby do. With JK in the mix, I have to see them whenever I can. This led me to the very difficult decision to attend All Good instead of Gratefulfest this year. I get a chance to see both groups but at the same time am very sad to miss seeing DSO 4 times in one weekend.

I also belong to a blues guitar forum and joined in at the beginning. The first 18 months was like an extended family. Most people kept pushing for fast growth without realizing the consequences. Exactly the same thing has happened there. People fight over the stupidest stuff and it really detracts. It is still more civil than most, but it just is not the same.

Everyone just needs to turn the tolerance knob up a little and push the pause button before pushing send.

• Forum MVP

Yes FunkyBass... it does sound like a family, and as well all know... Deadheads are known for being critical. However, it can get a little harsh when some people here endlessly argue about how Furthur is out to destroy all things DSO. Everyone is just chasing there own tail...

28599_403677648212_352944633212_4272907_8013941_n.jpg

I joined this group after seeing my first DSO show (12/6/08) because it was such an overwhelmingly emotional experience and I wanted to read what others had to say about it. Boy, was it a GREAT feeling to find so many folks had posted their opinions of the show, and to know that I was not alone in feeling the sheer joy of seeing and hearing a band like DSO carry the torch of the Grateful Dead. It was not unlike the feeling I got upon seeing the GD for the first time at Cole Field House on 3/7/81 (which featured the longest version of "Bird Song" ever played by the band) as I realized how warm, open, and generous the majority of the crowd was. After seeing DSO for the first time, I knew that feeing was back, and I am extremely grateful that we have DSO in our lives !

That being said, I have noticed that sometimes forum topics desolve into combative jousts between some members, and this definitely takes away from the good vibes most of us share here. There is nothing wrong with having your own opinions, but this should not be an outlet for people to play "king of the hill' with points of view. We are VERY fortunate that some of the band members take the time to post news and interesting facts on this forum, and I don't believe it is respectful of them for us to argue with them on any topic. Sure, we have every right to question things we don't undestand, but we need to present those questions in a thoughtful and friendly manner. Needing clarification on a topic is one thing. Casting doubt is quite another.

We have such a wonderful outlet here for sharing and learning about all things related to DSO. Let's all remember what we joined this board for, and be glad for what we have.

Peace :rolleyes:

Topher

family_guy_mad.jpg

We are a strange family...the strangest...but we work!

I appreciate and cherish other perspectives and opinions too, even if they differ from those of my own. It makes us...us.

Walk into splintered sunlight,

Inch your way through dead dreams to another land.

Maybe you're tired and broken,

Your tongue is twisted with words half spoken and thoughts unclear

Guest jazz-man

One of the most attractive, to me, aspects of being a Deadhead is the kindness shown to others, and the respect and desire to make the world a better place and to learn new things. (" all we ever wanted was to learn and love and grow"). One of the things that turns me off from some Deadheads (moreso on DNC than here) is that some folks have huge egos and don't check them at the door. Especially the guys. We all have an ego to some degree but it sucks to see folks post stuff casually that may be hurtful or trying to be a smart-ass or insist on their rights rather than just say "I was wrong" or "I'm sorry". This is not directed at any one person, just an general observation. There are a lot of cool people who want to keep our community kind and make things better but there are a few folks who piss all over and think of themselves first. In this regard we're no different than the rest of sociaty. But I think that we definately have the capacity to be better and be positive. Turn the other cheek and all that.

Best wishes for whatever you need Rob. That took courage to tell us something so personal here.

• 2 years later...
  • Forum MVP

Some of these old threads make me laugh and smile.   Many of these threads reveal a huge evolution with in this Forum, and those that started with it!!!  This might not of been the best thread to bring alive, but I thought it encouraging how it started with a neg. vibe, and ended with laughter:}  The rollercoaster of life, I have sure been living!!  

Bigger pictures are always harder to see when your a pixel!!

Any how------the Bobby has a nice package had me laughing pretty hard this morning!!!    I remember when I got teased for short shorts once, and I have always taking that humilation and thrown it back on Bobby!!

Cheesey daisy dukes!!!    But the man can Jam!!!!

Sunny, those were really trying times here! A lot of hatefulness, a lot of people left (and a lot of people stayed). A lot of people dropped in just to stir the pot (occasionally still happens). I think we are stronger for it.

I'm pretty proud of the way the forums are these days - a kinder, gentler place. No, it's not the forums - it's you all that I am proud of. You make the forum what it is.

As usual this thread was hijacked.

:grouphug: 

I love this forum... to me, it's lots of fun!  I'm new here, but immediately felt a warm, family vibe here.  I'm thankful that we have a place like this to discuss the one common bond that we all share... the beautiful MUSIC.  The one thing that has the power to override the drama, the disagreements, the attitudes... all of it.  When the band is playing & the waves of sweet music are travelin' through my soul... & I'm dancing & looking around at all the other heads there groovin... man, there's just nothing else like it!  A powerful common bond... no matter how we've been raised or what our backgrounds may be... the music joins us all together... & something magical happens.  We become (((family)))... I'm blessed to have many brothers & sisters that are not blood relatives... & I'm grateful to be here.

Archived