This Place Used To Be Fun.......

Dr. Vapor

• Forum MVP

I've been seeing dso since 2002. I went to my first show with my girlfriend at the time, who knew far more about the dead than I(at the time)....I knew only a couple of songs at the show and I didn't really dance, wasn't ready to let go like that yet(took me a while to find the groove)....but was blown away by 'Eyes of the World', which I had heard only the album version of. Those soaring solos, embedded over a dreamy maj7th landscape, still to this day bring me joy like none other. Wings a mile long.

Starting reading these forums probably around 2004, lurked for a while, and starting posting myself in 06. I've seen SO much change around here. Many people who used to be regular fixtures on this board now seldom post or have removed themselves entirely. Shit, just read this thread and you'll see that. I saw some depart when Scott died, many more when JK left. Have read many dramas on this board, and taken part in my possibly more than fair share of them. Done some Furthur-hating, over that now. I've learned so much as an individual through experiencing and discussing this music that I have a hard time reading old posts of mine....But I'll never ditch this forum, because I love this band, and I love you all.

Through all these changes I've seen DSO grow and grow and grow. I'll say, without any doubt in my mind(and i've listened to pretty much every recording of DSO available to the public) that they are playing better now than ever. We are so blessed to have this band carrying the torch, a band that continues to get ever stronger, tighter, sweeter, and more pyschedelic. In my opinion, and some of you may disagree with this(and that's cool), that was not the case with the Dead post 78. I'm not going to elaborate any more into that because it's subjective and we could go on all day about it...

Man, I can't believe that it is March 13th and I still haven't seen a DSO show this year!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I came on board just before this post began in the height of the "big choice" and these forums were a bit frightening at that time. Watching the great divorce was heart breaking. But we are all stronger for it and the music.has done nothing but grow. I am so grateful for the forums and take my hat off to everyone who still comes round here bc im so glad we made it!!!! I remember being a new kid on the block and ppl saying hi they like the posts at shows that summer and it is still such an honor to feel like a part of this insanely heavenly lil corner or space. Had a great time at furthur Broomfield bc I found my unicorn spot 2 ppl away from JK but it really just pumped me up fpr dso. Furthur has some of my fave musicians of all time in it but dso plays together better.chemistry. fuckin A

I'm glad to hear that it seems for the most part the forums moved on from those two dark periods of Scott passing away and JK leaving for Furthur. I didn't get into the dead until 2009 or even DSO until 2 years later, so I never witnessed that time. I'm curious to hear how Dr. Vapor would reflect upon his initial reasoning for beginning this topic, and if he still feels the same way about the forums.

I'm still pretty young and I am starting to get the feel of how things are. No one really ever introduced me to the dead or guided me in the scene, things just kind of fell into place. I never was one for joining online forums; this being the only one I read/post in. Before DSO, I would always be blaring the dead dancing all over the place and jumping off the furniture, dreaming of being at whatever show I was listening to. I'm glad I just found an outside medium to express the joy this music gives me and like minded people to share the experience with.

I've never liked the Grateful Dead  Church Analogy thing.  It just does not work for me.  Garcia who was somewhat self effacing I think   was a combination of amused and terrified by the power of the Circus, which after all was a touring Rock Band of the non deity varietal. Admittedly one of the best ever.  I've been an occasional contributor to this forum longer than most.  DSO is an amazing band...really carries on the spirit of the Grateful Dead...in a sincere, moving and yes somewhat spiritual way. It's just that  having faith in something and those types of heady issues are tricky...particularly when young. That is not to say do not  listen to the music play when confused. Do. I suppose I'm a separation  of Church and Music guy....Maybe with an exclusion waiver thrown in for a little organ. Summer show in St. Louis.  Pretty Please!!

• Forum MVP

Like my brother Aaron I also saw my first DSO show in 2002. I was on vacation in Ocean City, New Jersey and I was walking down the boardwalk and the marqee for the Music Pier said " Dark Star Orchestra" tonight.  I had heard about the band through various friends so I went and haven't stopped since, and never will.

I joined these boards in 2005 pretty much at the inception. A few weeks later my daughter got sick. I can't even begin to tell all of the folks that are relatively new here how much love, and support I recieved from the people in this community. During those long, lonely nights when I was up all night in a hospital room in Philadelphia, sick with worry, it was here that I found respite. I am eternally grateful, especially to you Ron for without you, this community as a whole would not be the same.

I have met people here that are not only going to be my lifelong friends, I consider them family. Athough the miles may seperate many of us and we don't get to see each other as much as we would like, when we do, we pick up right where we left off. Just like Sisters and Brothers should.

LOVE IS REAL!

• Forum MVP

I've never liked the Grateful Dead  Church Analogy thing.  It just does not work for me.  Garcia who was somewhat self effacing I think   was a combination of amused and terrified by the power of the Circus, which after all was a touring Rock Band of the non deity varietal. Admittedly one of the best ever.  I've been an occasional contributor to this forum longer than most.  DSO is an amazing band...really carries on the spirit of the Grateful Dead...in a sincere, moving and yes somewhat spiritual way. It's just that  having faith in something and those types of heady issues are tricky...particularly when young. That is not to say do not  listen to the music play when confused. Do. I suppose I'm a separation  of Church and Music guy....Maybe with an exclusion waiver thrown in for a little organ. Summer show in St. Louis.  Pretty Please!!

I would say that there is a large difference between having a spiritual connection with the music, or anything, and church. Just sayin'

• 3 years later...
  • Forum MVP

Church is whereever one goes to get in touch with heir higher power. In can be cathedral. It's can be in the desert. In can be in mountains and damn sure can be a Grateful Dead show. Telling someone else what their church and that what they feel is like church to them in absolutely unacceptable. We all have to find our own path to salvation.

• Forum MVP

Thanks! I was just sitting here watching time pass, thinking how I haven't seen DSO in a long time, and how sometimes it gets like that, and how long and strange the days between get........

And how no matter how long and strange, this band keeps following us all and we wander back in and out of the forums with our fingers up, not seeking, just sharing in this miracle. We are so lucky it's not luck anymore- its fortune. I started reading at the beginning and remembered reading it both times before and it made me warm inside to know that no matter how often I miss shows, or how little I post, we are all still here loving each other just because we can. Its fucking the most most amazing feeling and the way we all liberate ourselves with innocent, righteous joy at each show and each breath in between when we just stop and think about it long enough to get grateful, then JOYFUL, is just worth coming back for time and a again.

Love u guys. A lot. More than words can tell. I can t even express what's it's meant to my stupid lil insignificant life to have touched this kind of magic even once- much less all these times with each of you.

Year of bliss on the way. Summer of love anniversary. 20 years of DSO. It's all happening!!!!!!! ;) kiss kiss

• Forum MVP

Bwahahaha but there is no such thing as "your own path" it may be a black muddy river and your delusional self may think you are walking alone but you keep coming back cause you know we have all been doing this TOGETHER for a long ass fucking time........

He's come to take his children home.................

Either way- I'm in! I miss sharing the giggles and the glow

• Forum MVP

SVT, we don't have to agree.

You can be right it's not important to me. Finding my path and my salvation is. I'm glad you don't need a path and you woke up in terrapin today. I didn't. So good for you. But we aren't walking together. I'm not walking with you. My path isn't your path. They are not same and I don't think I want them to be. In fact haven't seen you even on the dso path in awhile. Seems you may have found Terrapin and no longer need live DSO in your life.

• Forum MVP

I think MC and SVT are both right. lol

We walk our own path and along the way our paths join others. We share what is meaningful along the way, shedding light, traveling on down the road. Whether the moment is a gift or an ungiven gift ( what one may deem a “negative’ experience) , it is ALL a gift if you look for the subject matter. We just may come at the same issue from different sides of the coin. 

Just looking and finding my bliss and writing my story with Truth and Love and Gratitude and Forgiveness. Living h’oponopono to live in pono. 

I am sorry. Please forgive me. Thank you. I love you. 

or actually just Aloha….

I don’t think there it a stopping point or a finish line. Terrapin may be a state of mind, but it is constantly ever changing.

We both prone to express our truth like it is the truth.

Nothing wrong with conviction, unless one has no ears to hear

• Forum MVP

Bwahahaha but there is no such thing as "your own path" it may be a black muddy river and your delusional self may think you are walking alone but you keep coming back cause you know we have all been doing this TOGETHER for a long ass fucking time........

He's come to take his children home.................

Either way- I'm in! I miss sharing the giggles and the glow

I don't think we are saying the same. She directly challenged and disagreed with me. I like that you tried to reconcile them but she clearly doesn't believe in the uniqueness of One's path. She couldn't be clearer.

• Forum MVP

She even laughed at me which I still to this day find belittling and insulting. Fortunately I know not to take things personally. Like I said, I look forward to seeing her on the rail. I even look forward to reading her very intimate and real although sometimes scattered reviews. They place you at the show wonderfully. Just don't think we have much to talk about in the realms of philosophy and life.

• Forum MVP

You say you have a unique path unto yourself. Yes. I agree. It may be like others at times, but never always, and thereby unique. ( i think you can use those words always and never together :D and be safe.)

SVT says you are never alone because we are one, whether we accept it or not. I agree. 

Not reconciling- seems like a compromise where parties give a little of their conviction away. More of... a new picture of both. Seeing both aspects of Truth, which are diametrically opposed, and sharing my own view of their Truth's validity, synthesized. 

I would suppose she is laughing at her own past experience of feeling alone walking a path and finding it not be alone as she thought . Not at you.  :lala:

• Forum MVP

I think she was laughing at me. SVT and I have not always seen eye to eye. I won't attribute innocence to all of her actions and behaviors towards me.

Just because I think I walk my own path does not mean I do not see innerconnectness and understand that we are in this together.

Archived