Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

http://gdvault.com/tracker/details.php?id=e17bafe71bd91d6b16b43b340d6e308f7b11ac73

For those who burn shows, a big upgrade was dropped on the 7th...and Charlie says an even BIGGER one (10/10) is coming soon.

On Workingman's Tracker....

Grateful Dead - October 9, 1982

Frost Amphitheatre - Palo Alto, CA

Stanford University

Recording Info:

SBD -> Cassette Master (TDK MA-R90/Dolby B) -> Cassette (JVC KD-V6/XLII-S90/Dolby C)

Transfer Info:

Cassette (Nakamichi DR-1/Dolby C) -> Sound Devices 744T (24bit/48k) ->

Adobe Audition v3.0 -> Samplitude Professional v11.1 -> FLAC/16

(2 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller

charliemiller87@earthlink.net

November 7, 2010

Patch Info:

(FOB) Sony ECM-220T -> Cassette Master (shnid=93825) supplies:

They Love Each Other (0:00 - 0:09)

Dupree's Diamond Blues (0:00 - 0:06)

Estimated Prophet (10:43 - 11:12)

Morning Dew (6:35 - 7:41)

Notes:

-- Disc change is seamless

-- This is an upgrade to all previous SBD sources

-- This transfer has been dolby decoded and pitch corrected

-- Mix starts off a bit weak but gets better quickly

-- Thanks to David Gans for lending me his tapes

-- Thanks to Joe B. Jones for his help with the pitch correction

Set 1:

d1t01 - Tuning

d1t02 - Alabama Getaway ->

d1t03 - Greatest Story Ever Told

d1t04 - They Love Each Other

d1t05 - On The Road Again ->

d1t06 - Beat It On Down The Line

d1t07 - West L.A. Fadeaway

d1t08 - Me And My Uncle ->

d1t09 - Big River

d1t10 - Dupree's Diamond Blues

d1t11 - The Music Never Stopped ->

d1t12 - Deal

Set 2:

d1t13 - Throwing Stones ->

d1t14 - Touch Of Grey

d2t01 - Estimated Prophet ->

d2t02 - Eyes Of The World ->

d2t03 - Drums ->

d2t04 - Space ->

d2t05 - Truckin' ->

d2t06 - The Other One ->

d2t07 - Morning Dew

d2t08 - One More Saturday Night

Encore:

d2t09 - U.S. Blues

• Forum MVP

Grateful Dead - October 9, 1982

Frost Amphitheatre - Palo Alto, CA

Stanford University

Recording Info:

SBD -> Cassette Master (TDK MA-R90/Dolby B) -> Cassette (JVC KD-V6/XLII-S90/Dolby C)

Transfer Info:

Cassette (Nakamichi DR-1/Dolby C) -> Sound Devices 744T (24bit/48k) ->

Adobe Audition v3.0 -> Samplitude Professional v11.1 -> FLAC/16

(2 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

I don't know, but all that technical mumbo jumbo aside I'm pretty happy with the raw Nak 700 FOBs from these '82 Frost shows (cassette masters with DBX->PCM). Might be a matter of personal preference. We should do a little A/B sometime, David.

• Forum MVP

I don't know, but all that technical mumbo jumbo aside I'm pretty happy with the raw Nak 700 FOBs from these '82 Frost shows (cassette masters with DBX->PCM). Might be a matter of personal preference. We should do a little A/B sometime, David.

I know a lot of people who grew up on those auds. On great systems, they are wonderful, but I do much of my GD listening in my car (I can turn it up as loud as I please) and auds don't do it for me there, even though I have a great car stereo system.

Having upgrades to these boards for me and some of my friends (especially 10/10) is like having Phoebe Cates visit our 9th grade lives and ask us over for a swim.

(Apologies to those who have never seen Fast Times...has anyone not see that)?

BTW---haven't forgotten the Warlocks...just been slammed of late.

• Forum MVP

Indeed, those Frost aud. tapes would not do so well cranked on a car stereo, short of one with aftermarket insanity.

And there is also a slight issue with the "breathing" phenomena associated with the outboard DBX encoder box. Still, reference '82 aud, no doubt.

• Forum MVP

JGB - 3/13/1978

Mission in the Rain - at this moment!! I just can't get enough of this epic show. For those who want to see the whole shabang:

Early show

I Second That Emotion

They Love Each Other

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

That's What Love Will Make You Do

Love In The Afternoon

Mystery Train

Late Show

Harder They Come

Mission In The Rain

Simple Twist Of Fate

Midnight Moonlight

Gomorrah

Cats Under The Stars

I'll Be With Thee

Lonesome And A Long Way From Home

Palm Sunday

SOUL just oozes from every single note of the Late show! Yummers.

JGB - 3/13/1978

Mission in the Rain - at this moment!! I just can't get enough of this epic show. For those who want to see the whole shabang:

Early show

I Second That Emotion

They Love Each Other

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

That's What Love Will Make You Do

Love In The Afternoon

Mystery Train

Late Show

Harder They Come

Mission In The Rain

Simple Twist Of Fate

Midnight Moonlight

Gomorrah

Cats Under The Stars

I'll Be With Thee

Lonesome And A Long Way From Home

Palm Sunday

SOUL just oozes from every single note of the Late show! Yummers.

Mystery train is a rollicking good time on this show. I just listened to this show this week. Has DSO ever done I'll Be With Thee?

• Forum MVP

05/19/66 (Thu) Avalon Ballroom - San Francisco, CA

Set 1: Beat It On Down The Line, Standing On The Corner, Mindbender, It Hurts Me Too, Viola Lee Blues, I Know You Rider, It's A Sin, Sick And Tired, Cream Puff War

Set 2: Sitting On Top Of The World, Minglewood Blues, Cold Rain & Snow, Come Back Baby, Silver Threads And Golden Needles, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, Good Lovin', You Don't Have To Ask

Nothing better than a nice snowy morning with a bit of Pigpen blaring through the house.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

5/7/77 Boston Garden.Quite possibly the best Half-Step ever...although I'm partial to the Englishtown show because it was my first show...... but this one kicks ass as does the Terrapin.Outstanding work by Eaton.... this blows the Betty board of the same show away.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-05-07.sbd.eaton.wizard.26085.sbeok.shnf

To say that I LOVE that Terrapin would be a seriously gross understatement. It is one of my favorite versions of Terrapin period. The interplay between Jerry and Phil as the song winds down is absolutely stellar.

On another note, this really may be one of my favorite threads on this board. Get turned on to so many crispy nuggets that I either wasn't aware of or somehow let slip out of rotation.

Not sure if anyone else will feel the same but I am listening to May 5-6, 1990 Cal State Dominguez. I have always loved these shows. I wore out my audience tapes of these shows. They just sound like everyone is having the time of their lives.

• Forum MVP

Dear God, I cannot think of a better recommendation for a tape. It is like the coolest rules ever!

phoebe_cates_fast_times.jpg

There you go again with your sexist images of women. Its reached a point where I can't even offer up a defense for you anymore. Carry on Gaytard.

• Forum MVP

There you go again with your sexist images of women. Its reached a point where I can't even offer up a defense for you anymore. Carry on Gaytard.

I will not further cast pearls before my fellow sexist male swine. I am utter abashed. Thus I will refrain from repeating my image of "Tangled Up in Blue." But I know you'd have been just about to do the same.

• Forum MVP

I will not further cast pearls before my fellow sexist male swine. I am utter abashed. Thus I will refrain from repeating my image of "Tangled Up in Blue." But I know you'd have been just about to do the same.

We always did just feel the same.....we just saw it from a different point of vieeeeeeeeew .

Archived