Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

We always did just feel the same.....we just saw it from a different point of vieeeeeeeeew .

John A sent me this a few days ago..it's the only drawing we've seen that is related to one of his songs and it's called August West.

We think it looks just like him. Too bad it's sold (for apparently $55,000)...you should have it.

Garcia_art_AugustWest-1.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

John A sent me this a few days ago..it's the only drawing we've seen that is related to one of his songs and it's called August West.

We think it looks just like him. Too bad it's sold (for apparently $55,000)...you should have it.

Garcia_art_AugustWest.jpg

Yes, he absolutely should have it. There are currently 1998 registered members of the board. With a sales price of $55,000 that works out to $27.53 per member. Contact the purchaser and make him an offer he can't refuse. Social justice demands it.

• Forum MVP

Yes, he absolutely should have it. There are currently 1998 registered members of the board. With a sales price of $55,000 that works out to $27.53 per member. Contact the purchaser and make him an offer he can't refuse. Social justice demands it.

It sold in 2001. Finding the owners shant be easy and their must be some kind of inflation over 10 years. You do the legwork. I have $30.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

ATL Feb 2009 (DSO On Demand #20 at the merch table) - a show which might just deserve its own appreciation thread.

Thanks to the lovely merch lady for having it on hand and Eaton for the stunningly crisp sound.

Dancin>Alligator>Do It in the Road>Eleven>Drums>New Potato>UJB>Wheel>UJB>.........

...if you haven't heard it, you should.

:)

• Forum MVP

ATL Feb 2009 (DSO On Demand #20 at the merch table) - a show which might just deserve its own appreciation thread.

Thanks to the lovely merch lady for having it on hand and Eaton for the stunningly crisp sound.

Dancin>Alligator>Do It in the Road>Eleven>Drums>New Potato>UJB>Wheel>UJB>.........

...if you haven't heard it, you should.

:)

I was there. Great show.

I was there. Great show.

Me too! My third DSO show...great times.

First night we got a recreation of 5/5/77

Second night was a delightful elective(as referenced above)...

"Stop that Train" was appropriate and in perfect synchronicity with the night's changes :icon14:

The night before's filler was delightful too...Bob Marley's B-day, we got a "Stir it Up" that was just exactly perfect. Lisa made the room stand still as she gathered wood near the fire

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

http://www.archive.org/details/gd91-10-27.sbd.martinson.537.sbeok.shnf

10/27/1991 - 1st show after Bill Graham passed (I think).

The whole show left a smoking crater on my mind......something...something. The Iko>Mona passage is Godzilla and King Kong laying waste to the city at the same time. Ka...........BBBBOOOOOOOOMMMM! Enjoy.....

Row Jimmy : 4.12.78, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina

I've been listening to this show a lot lately through these videos. Need to find a recording. Garcia was particularly on this night... as was the whole band. Both solos are absolutely beautiful.

Yes Vincent...Just about my fave Row Jimmy and the Loser is insane as well...Check out 4-24-78 and 12-28-78 if you haven't already...

DSO 12/31/10- Good Lovin>Samson & Delilah

Did anyone else notice the China Cat solo being played towards the end of good lovin by rob on keys? Love it did he get into the china groove by accident lol. either way amazing. Love how Mattson wastes no time getting into the samson jam from good lovin.

• Forum MVP

Here is a fun assignment for anyone who wants a glimpse into the history of the ballad So Many Roads.

Go here and listen to the first time Garcia had a rather large vocal BURST in this song. It made everyone that night take notice rather abruptly as the emotion that had laid dormant in this song ready to spring to life, did just that. It's not like my buddies and I didn't think this was a great song from the start, but this was the first one where we (those of us who were there) took a figurative step back and thought this may just be one of the big ones.

We were all inside to start a summer tour (!) at Richfield coliseum in Ohio in 1992.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1992-06-08.sbd.miller.89981.sbeok.flac16

And then, maybe a day or two later, go here to listen to this one, that happened just weeks later, which travelled around the world by word of mouth, the second it was over.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1992-06-23.dsbd.miller.32491.sbeok.flac16

These two versions marked the beginning of this song's legend. The difference in tempo is kind of interesting, given their proximity to one another, but after this version in Pittsburgh was finished, followers of the Grateful Dead knew that anything could happen when you heard those openings notes...and some amazing things did happen in the few years that remained.

Until the last one, at the last show, became a vehicle for a musician to lay his soul bare in front of 45 thousand fucking people, about which the band's bassist has said now that even he, standing there on stage, looked on in awe.

Archived