Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Yes Dstone! thank you for the response... what is the date on the Eugene show with this Other One? I'd like to that in full tomorrow. I love Oregon shows, something about them.

I believe David is referring to 1/22/78 other one > close encounters jam > st stephen. macarthur court eugene or

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1978-01-22.sbd.miller.110632.flac16

• Forum MVP

I've been downloading a lot of different shows lately and it dawned on me I'm not even giving the shows a good listen. I download a show, listen to a track or 2 and move on to the next download.

I put the new releases I download onto a spindle that's marked "new" and have an empty spindle that's marked "to file."

I listen to a new set of music I've never heard before (or a source I've never heard before) and then put it in the "to file" spindle after listening.

If the audio from a set is really good and the playing is really good, I put that set into my "main" collection, and the other sets I put into several large bins in the garage (if it's just "good" sound or just "good" playing).

My wife and I have CD labeling afternoons (I really like her handwriting to go on the outside inserts, and it's good family time!).

I can feel the board feeling a little sorry for my wife at this point.

Don't worry how many sets get backed up. I've had as many as 500 (wasn't that long ago when new sources were coming out every single day--anyone remember Tol?), but now have about 50 or so (although I have about 100 on my hard drive to make into CDs to go into a new "new" spindle).

When a particularly exciting new source from Eaton or something comes out, move it to the top of the spindle.

I do much of my listening in my car so that's where I keep them, and for the time it takes me to put a CD in the correct spindle after listening to it, I listen to the GD channel. :)

If you're not listening to the entire set of something you've never heard before and the sound is good, you need to stop dling...at least in my opinon...although lots of people get trapped into doing just that. It's like having a bookcase of really great books that you've never read!

And make sure to break up Garcia wtih the best new stuff (from other artists) that comes out...nothing beats listening to new stuff and that's one of the things that so crazy about Garcia. You never stop getting that.

I love listening to incredible albums as much as anyone but I can only listen to the same recording of a studio track about once a year, if that. If I know what's going to happen, it takes some of the thrill away.

Just my two English pence. :)

09-20-70 Fillmore East. Acoustic Truckin!!! I had no idea. I haven't got to the electric set yet.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-09-20.aud.remaster.sirmick.27583.sbeok.shnf

And I, for one, have a difficult time believing Garcia is sitting on a piano bench playing piano and singing THOSE vocals on that To Lay Me Down.

It could have happened but it's hard to imagine, although it's pretty cool to imagine.

• Forum MVP

I put the new releases I download onto a spindle that's marked "new" and have an empty spindle that's marked "to file."

I listen to a new set of music I've never heard before (or a source I've never heard before) and then put it in the "to file" spindle after listening.

If the audio from a set is really good and the playing is really good, I put that set into my "main" collection, and the other sets I put into several large bins in the garage (if it's just "good" sound or just "good" playing).

My wife and I have CD labeling afternoons (I really like her handwriting to go on the outside inserts, and it's good family time!).

I can feel the board feeling a little sorry for my wife at this point.

Don't worry how many sets get backed up. I've had as many as 500 (wasn't that long ago when new sources were coming out every single day--anyone remember Tol?), but now have about 50 or so (although I have about 100 on my hard drive to make into CDs to go into a new "new" spindle).

When a particularly exciting new source from Eaton or something comes out, move it to the top of the spindle.

I do much of my listening in my car so that's where I keep them, and for the time it takes me to put a CD in the correct spindle after listening to it, I listen to the GD channel. :)

If you're not listening to the entire set of something you've never heard before and the sound is good, you need to stop dling...at least in my opinon...although lots of people get trapped into doing just that. It's like having a bookcase of really great books that you've never read!

And make sure to break up Garcia wtih the best new stuff that comes out...nothing beats listening to new stuff and that's one of the things that so crazy about Garcia. You never stop getting that.

I love listening to incredible albums as much as anyone but I can only listen to the same recording of a studio track about once a year, if that. If I know what's going to happen, it takes some of the thrill away.

Just my two English pence. :)

And I, for one, have a difficult time believing Garcia is sitting on a piano bench playing piano and singing THOSE vocals on that To Lay Me Down.

It could have happened but it's hard to imagine, although it's pretty cool to imagine.

Nothing like getting a package with new stuff from Stone in the mail...

Always, mind blowing.

lay me down--- absolutely love it.

• Forum MVP

Thanks Steve.

Btw...Garcia really was an extra in Close Encounters according to Bill Givens...I found this on IMDb's web site this morning, when I found myself wanting to verify what a friend of mine had sworn to me is true.

"According to the book 'Reel Gags' by Bill Givens, The Grateful Dead singer Jerry Garcia was an extra during the scenes in India, and he can be seen in a crowd shot."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075860/trivia

So, if anyone finds themselves watching this film....look for him so we can get a definitive answer.

Also...I wanted to see if John Williams did that cello bit for Jaws, which he did, and found this...

"Shortly thereafter, Williams and Spielberg began a long collaboration for their next feature film together, Close Encounters of the Third Kind. In an unusual step for a Hollywood film, Spielberg and Williams developed their script and musical concepts simultaneously, as in the film these entwine very closely together. During their two-year-long collaboration, they crafted its distinctive five-note figure that functions both in the background music and as the communications signal of the film's extraterrestrials. Williams also used a system of musical hand signals in CE3K that were based on hand signs created by John Curwen and refined by Zoltan Kodaly.

During the same period, Spielberg recommended Williams to his friend and fellow director George Lucas, who needed a composer to score his ambitious space epic, Star Wars (1977).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams

So this guy writes the stuff for Star Wars (!) after coming up with those epic melodies for Jaws and Close Encounters?

Pretty cool.

Good suggestion. It

• Forum MVP

I have been on a ’78 kick for the last few weeks and recently listened to 4/24/1978, Horton Field House, Illinois State Univ.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd78-04-24.sbd.mattman.20605.sbeok.shnf

Not only does it boast one of the sickest Music Never Stopped (and there are quite a few), it also features a Scarlett>>Fire that I find fascinating. The crazy thing about this version is Bobby’s contributions. He is much more out front on this than I have ever heard and it is not just because he is prominent in the mix of the recording. The best I can categorize it is that Bobby is almost playing lead with Jerry throughout both tunes (especially Fire). At first I thought Bob was stepping on Jerry’s leads. After listening to it again, it is literally dueling guitars. The parts where they are ‘together’ is a very strange :wacko: but wonderful outcome.

The end result: If you want to hear Bobby effectively play lead with Jerry on a rip-roarin’ Scarlett>>Fire (with thunderous results), give this one a listen. So good.

• Forum MVP

The end result: If you want to hear Bobby effectively play lead with Jerry on a rip-roarin’ Scarlett>>Fire (with thunderous results), give this one a listen. So good.

Although this was played in a place called Normal, it is anything but.

Even if Weir doesn't quite match Garcia in the S>F (to my ears), he is on fire the whole night.

This is the famous "Let it burn, let it burn, let it burn" declaration Garcia hands down towards the end of that Fire...

and of all the EPIC shows sonomajon has been to, I think this is a top three...which is saying a lot!

Guest Lisacat

QUESTION---

DSO, 5/25/2009 Dark Hollow- who is singing this??

actually that would be Del McCourey... (I assume you're referring to 5/24 though as there was no show on 5/25....)

• Forum MVP

Holy shit!!!! I didn’t know this. I just listened to it again and it sure sounds like just Bobby on guitar. A couple of times I thought, oh no, there’s Jerry’s guitar, and then it will be gone again so I’m not sure it was even there at all. It was just Bobby.

Has Jerry ever played the piano at any other shows? Is this one rumored time? I love the vision of Jerry sitting at a piano belting this out.

Yeah...that's Weir on the electric guitar. It's been a generally accepted theory in many circles that Garcia is on piano for this To Lay Me Down. Garcia has done some pretty cool piano in the studio on his first solo album including the Eep Hour etc, but this is the only show that I know of where people claim he was tickling the ivories on stage.

I am going to need a pic, or hear from someone who was actually there, or hear from someone who heard from someone who was actually there, to believe it though.

I remember having a really awful sounding tape of this show when I was in HS, and it was labeled that Howard Wales was playing piano.

• Forum MVP

1969-03-02 Fillmore West

Love this show to pieces, so much energy from the whole band.

Those 6 or so seconds when Phil and the band move into Other One out of Drums are some of the most exhilarating 6 or so seconds I've ever heard.

• Advisory Board

QUESTION---

DSO, 5/25/2009 Dark Hollow- who is singing this??

jk, december 2009 was last show

Horribly wrong on that one Steve... That show was the imfamous DelFest show, where Del McCoury was singing a bunch of tunes that first set, including the Dark Hollow..

With the exception of the 5/19 show, this show is tied for me as the best "concert" I've ever been to... so much energy coming from everyone on stage that nite, I remember seeing a few band members at the "after show" with Cornmeal and they were still bouncing off the walls, high as a kite, just from playing with ol' Del..

God what a great night of music that was... Can't remember if it was the first or second set, but Kevin played one helluva rippin bass solo somewhere, and that second set Viola Lee>Cumberland>Viola Lee was SIIIIIIIIICK!!!!

BTW, Steve.. I have a seat next to me for you :P

• Forum MVP

Horribly wrong on that one Steve... That show was the imfamous DelFest show, where Del McCoury was singing a bunch of tunes that first set, including the Dark Hollow..

With the exception of the 5/19 show, this show is tied for me as the best "concert" I've ever been to... so much energy coming from everyone on stage that nite, I remember seeing a few band members at the "after show" with Cornmeal and they were still bouncing off the walls, high as a kite, just from playing with ol' Del..

God what a great night of music that was... Can't remember if it was the first or second set, but Kevin played one helluva rippin bass solo somewhere, and that second set Viola Lee>Cumberland>Viola Lee was SIIIIIIIIICK!!!!

BTW, Steve.. I have a seat next to me for you :P

I stand corrected, horribly wrong, I admit...

as far as a seat, bring it....

• Forum MVP

It has been WAAAAAAAY too long since I pulled this one up:

Grateful Dead Live at Alligator Alley Gymnasium, U of Florida on 1980-11-29

http://www.archive.org/details/gd80-11-29.wise.sacks.2409.sbeok.shnf

One of the best audience recording on archive - you can actully download it...legally! The first set has a totally sweet Candyman and a very dirty Minglewood. The second set is the meat in this sandwhich though. A funkadelic good time is very evident as Shakedown becomes Franklins! WOW! Everything else seems just as good and the Good Lovin here is one of the finest post-Pig renditions I have heard.

This one goes back in the regular rotation.............

• Forum MVP

g65311eq0c9.jpg

And I keep on fighting for the things I want

Though I know that when you're dead you can't...

Listened to the evening electric set on the way to school today. The Harder They Come from that show is fiery. Melvin is blazing the keys. Although, I actually like the matinee show just a bit more. Could be that I'm a sucker for I Shall Be Released and Crazy Love and am besotted with Jerry singing lead on Masterpiece. Also has a nice jammy Dear Prudence. But both shows smoke all the way through as do both acoustic shows. Listened to the evening acoustic set on my way home from Reading on Sunday. Ahhhhhh... Jerry... seems like he's really enjoying himself on Halloween 87.

Archived