Now Listening...

You Are Here

Guest Lisacat

Wait till you get to THAT Dark Star and the moment in THAT Spanish Jam and Phil's into into the US Blues!

So wonderful to see people discovering this magic....even though that word with stuff in beyond cliche....that's what it is, really.

the > in the Spanish Jam> US blues is one of the best moments of the show.... its the subtleties that matter. Sort of like the spaces between the notes. It makes US Blues a song I actually want to listen to. Half of the time its is an eye-roller for me. Serious groovy jamming in the intro. Lets not leave out Keith's playing on it either.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

wow, good stuff. I especially liked the spanish jam. It was hardcore. Phils bombs from spanish jam to us blues were hot. Thanks for the heads up, Dstone, as usual. The dark star had no lyrics right? I was working aroung the house so maybe I missed them. Why isn't it called dark star jam? I've always wondered about that.

It is called a Dark Star Jam....into a Spanish Jam and into the US Blues.

If someone wants to take the jam off the Dark Star, however, I would not give them shit---and I'm not someone who minds too much giving people shit.

It's the only Dark Star in 74 without lyrics and the world agreed a long time ago that it didn't need them, so if someone wants to make the argument that this is more than a jam, I could get on board with that.

But in the books, it's a Dark Star Jam.

These days, I don't often listen to anything other than new sources (for me at least...some of them are more than 2 years old), but I haven't heard this in years and years and just talking about it is making me want to put this on top of my spindle for the ride tomorrow.

It makes US Blues a song I actually want to listen to.

Listen to this one...

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1978-04-12.sbd.fix.miller.107156.flac16

Guest Lisacat

Will do! I know I've listened to it before as that show stands out as its on my birthday....well 4 years before actually.

listening to this one now as I pack: http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-09-03.oade.sacks.7691.sbeok.shnf

I always seem to ignore 80-87 as I get so stuck on 69/70-74 and 88-90 but I'm really diggin this one....I'll confess I skipped the 1st set and went straight to the old school 2nd set (ok maybe thats why I like it so much!) . Rare Cryptical, Nobody's Fault but Mine, Beautiful Comes a Time and I think we've already established how much I love Baby Blue.

• Forum MVP

Will do! I know I've listened to it before as that show stands out as its on my birthday....well 4 years before actually.

listening to this one now as I pack: http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-09-03.oade.sacks.7691.sbeok.shnf

I always seem to ignore 80-87 as I get so stuck on 69/70-74 and 88-90 but I'm really diggin this one....I'll confess I skipped the 1st set and went straight to the old school 2nd set (ok maybe thats why I like it so much!) . Rare Cryptical, Nobody's Fault but Mine, Beautiful Comes a Time and I think we've already established how much I love Baby Blue.

Just make sure you listen to this US Blues as loud as you are able.

Did you ever listen to that second set from the Civic Center 12/28/83 with that Playin Jam into an Other One?

Plus, if you are listening to the second set of Starlight '85, go with this version so you won't miss the Baby Blue.

You never want to miss the Baby Blue---I know you'll agree.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1985-09-03.sbd.miller.34772.flac16

Guest Lisacat

Just make sure you listen to this US Blues as loud as you are able.

Did you ever listen to that second set from the Civic Center 12/28/83 with that Playin Jam into an Other One?

Plus, if you are listening to the second set of Starlight '85, go with this version so you won't miss the Baby Blue.

You never want to miss the Baby Blue---I know you'll agree.

http://www.archive.o...er.34772.flac16

I think I was actually listening to that version....wasn't streaming from archive- was going off my hard drive- nice crispy recording. But yes, love the Baby Blue. Well I love any Baby Blue to be honest.

And regarding the US Blues....still prefer the 74 - that intro jam is what its all about for me.

• Forum MVP

Listen to this one...

Jerry is pissed in the best way I have ever heard.

I had heard that the emotion was created by the unwillingness of the Cameron Indoor people to turn down the house lights. Frequent requests by the band and the fans went unheeded. It sounds to me like this all came to a head during the US Blues. If anyone on this board was there, maybe the can confirm/deny/clarify.

I love Phil after the closing volley with a THANK YOU.....Goodnite! Sarcasm seemed to ooze from the last yell. So freakin good!

• Forum MVP

Listen to this one...

Jerry is pissed in the best way I have ever heard.

I had heard that the emotion was created by the unwillingness of the Cameron Indoor people to turn down the house lights. Frequent requests by the band and the fans went unheeded. It sounds to me like this all came to a head during the US Blues. If anyone on this board was there, maybe the can confirm/deny/clarify.

I love Phil after the closing volley with a THANK YOU.....Goodnite! Sarcasm seemed to ooze from the last yell. So freakin good!

I think there's a video of U.S Blues from this show on Youtube and Jerry catches some pretty epic air. Is this also the same version where Jerry absolutely screams "steal your wife?" If so, this is definitely a good U.S. Blues.

And yes, the band, especially phil, were pretty fuckin pissed about the house lights staying on,

• Forum MVP

I think there's a video of U.S Blues from this show on Youtube and Jerry catches some pretty epic air. Is this also the same version where Jerry absolutely screams "steal your wife?" If so, this is definitely a good U.S. Blues.

And yes, the band, especially phil, were pretty fuckin pissed about the house lights staying on,

Pretty insane windmill stuff on the Truckin for the Duke Video.

In my mind, though, the audio is ALWAYS better than the video.

Music is meant to be heard much more than seen.

Listen to the audio link of the US blues in the above post at a decent level and I am betting you will agree. It's only one song so it won't take more than a few minutes.

It has the power and it has the glory...two things lacking in most vids.

• Forum MVP

And regarding the US Blues....still prefer the 74 - that intro jam is what its all about for me.

I never wanted you to to like one more than the other or was even trying to imply one was better than the other...just wanted to to hear the Duke verison :)

US blues was in a nice little peak in 78 and that peak hit its vertex on that night.

Same kind of vocal and guitar found in much of 78, Red Rocks 7/8 to name one example.

• Forum MVP

Hey since you're all talkin about >s into USBs don't let yourself overlook Chula Vista. That's one of my favorite >s and the USB is a rollicking fun time. 9-15-85.

• Forum MVP

Pretty insane windmill stuff on the Truckin for the Duke Video.

In my mind, though, the audio is ALWAYS better than the video.

Music is meant to be heard much more than seen.

Listen to the audio link of the US blues in the above post at a decent level and I am betting you will agree. It's only one song so it won't take more than a few minutes.

I'm quite familiar with that show as that U.S. Blues is certainly one of the best I've heard.

And I agree that the audio is always better but the video I've seen is dubbed with the SBD so it doesn't really matter in this particular case.

But as far as watching the Dead perform rather than listening (and of course i do more listening but) I can't help but have this Cheshire grin plastered on my face while watching Jerry.

• Forum MVP

I'm quite familiar with that show as that U.S. Blues is certainly one of the best I've heard.

And I agree that the audio is always better but the video I've seen is dubbed with the SBD so it doesn't really matter in this particular case.

But as far as watching the Dead perform rather than listening (and of course i do more listening but) I can't help but have this Cheshire grin plastered on my face while watching Jerry.

That's cool.

All the vid now is synched with with a good board or a good aud...it's such a huge thing for deadheads regarding home made vids. To me, it actually makes them much better than the ones you can buy in stores.

All the work that people did through the years recording shows is now finding a place because of this.

I still think you should listen to this US blues again though...and loud.

It'll just make your day that much better and you won't have to ask about the 'Steal your wife' line...you'll know. :)

Wow!! More crazy mad yelling Jerry please!!! His solo is angry.

• Forum MVP

I still think you should listen to this US blues again though...and loud.

It'll just make your day that much better and you won't have to ask about the 'Steal your wife' line...you'll know. :)

I think I'll listen to this show on my way to philly tonight.

Nothing left to do but :) :) :)

• Forum MVP

I think I'll listen to this show on my way to philly tonight.

Nothing left to do but :) :) :)

My guess it you'll make it to the last notes of the Round/Round when you pull in to the driveway!

At least you'll hear a Peggy~o/Row Jimmy to die for---as you know.

• Forum MVP

RocknRollAnimal.jpg

Because man does not live by the best U. S. Blues ever alone. Sometimes it just has to be real loud, real fast, and real hard.

Despite all the amputations, you can dance to the rock n roll station.

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

RocknRollAnimal.jpg

Because man does not live by the best U. S. Blues ever alone. Sometimes it just has to be real loud, real fast, and real hard.

Do you think Lou will tour again? He's one performer on my things to do this weekend list

• Forum MVP

Do you think Lou will tour again? He's one performer on my things to do this weekend list

Don't know about his tour schedule, but I'm motivated to look. I've seen him several times since the '70s and can say it was a revelation each time. And loud. Joyously blazingly loud.

• Forum MVP

RocknRollAnimal.jpg

Speaking of guitar solos..the stuff Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter are able to do which was captured by the above live album Mr. Vegas references is pretty fucking insane. The album didn't waste any time in capturing the magic that could happen with those two either, with the Intro to Sweet Jane to open, and it just gets better from there. They are the perfect counterparts to one another; their style and sound are unmistakable.

Incredible guitar play.

• Forum MVP

Speaking of guitar solos..the stuff Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter are able to do which was captured by the above live album Mr. Vegas references is pretty fucking insane. The album didn't waste any time in capturing the magic that could happen with those two either, with the Intro to Sweet Jane to open, and it just gets better from there. They are the perfect counterparts to one another; their style and sound are unmistakable.

Incredible guitar play.

Not that I am one to advocate or even mention drug consumption in any but the most condemnatory manner, but for pure unadulterated guitar prowess "Heroin" is sui generis. And Lou's voice is harrowing in its world-weary perfection.

I have listened to this album probably 2 or 3 times a month, every month, for the 35 years since it came out. I think that says a lot. I just prefer not to think about what.

• Forum MVP

Lou Reed is one of my musical heroes. One of my gods-- :)

^^^That live album is incredible and this one ain't too bad either.

prisoners.jpg

For pure, unadulterated POWER that only a genius like Lou could unleash...this album is not to be believed. The Coney Island Baby is just the most powerful fucking version of any song anywhere and the Satellite of Love and Pale Blue Eyes aren't that far behind. His band sounds like an orchestra at times, it's so lush and full. One of the greats in terms of live albums--only meant for the serious Lou fans though.

My guess is that you've been listening to this one before I knew what a bottle of milk was but just in case...and for any others out there who may be fans of one of the greatest American song writers we have.

Archived