Now Listening...

You Are Here

From the same tour as the 4/12/78 show...

5/6/78, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd78-05-06.rolfe.vernon.6711.sbeok.shnf

Solo section in Loser is awesome...

I remember this show/weekend run very well...spring in VT...A snow capped Mt. Marcy off in the distance...Afternoons of frisbees, mescaline, beautiful women...I distinctly recall walking into the gym just as the first notes of Sugaree rang out and the staged was bathed in blue light with balloons gently floating up and down in front of Garcia..The previous night @ Dartmouth was the first night of the tour(after a couple week break) and the band took some time to get going again...My friends dog got lost and we spent the night combing the campus, bouncing from dorm party to dorm party like pinballs and ultimately found the beloved black lab towards dawn...Super fond memories...It was off to RPI which I still believe was the best night of that 3 pack...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I remember this show/weekend run very well...spring in VT...A snow capped Mt. Marcy off in the distance...Afternoons of frisbees, mescaline, beautiful women...I distinctly recall walking into the gym just as the first notes of Sugaree rang out and the staged was bathed in blue light with balloons gently floating up and down in front of Garcia..The previous night @ Dartmouth was the first night of the tour(after a couple week break) and the band took some time to get going again...My friends dog got lost and we spent the night combing the campus, bouncing from dorm party to dorm party like pinballs and ultimately found the beloved black lab towards dawn...Super fond memories...It was off to RPI which I still believe was the best night of that 3 pack...

Ahh I see, I assumed this show was from the same tour as 4.12 at Duke University.

That memory sounds absolutely amazing... Would RPI be the Polytecnic Institute? A handful of prestigious colleges.

Ahh I see, I assumed this show was from the same tour as 4.12 at Duke University.

That memory sounds absolutely amazing... Would RPI be the Polytecnic Institute? A handful of prestigious colleges.

The spring tour started in Florida and that segment culminated in Normal, Illinois...with a show that I have raved about ad nauseum...A monster show from the first note to the end...however the encore Werewolves is so out of tune I can't even listen...

http://www.archive.org/details/gd78-04-24.sbd.mattman.20605.sbeok.shnf

Then the band returned on 5-5-78 to Dartmouth and yes RPI is the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute...I thankfully have a pretty good memory...I was fully engaged in my desire to see shows...so much I blew off college that spring...Bought a van and traveled x country ultimately landing in SF in October for the From Egypt with love run at Winterland...Lovely/carefree/high times times indeed!

• Forum MVP

I'm going to make a list of my top 5 shows Jon had been to....for me.

And I'm not going to take more than 30 seconds to think of the rankings (only way to rank these kinds of shows if you don't want to start hearing voices).

4/24/78 Normal

7/8/78 Red Rocks

5/9/77 Buffalo

10/21/78 Winterland

10/12/84 Augusta

God damn!

• Forum MVP

I'm going to make a list of my top 5 shows Jon's been to....for me.

And I'm not going to take more than 30 seconds to think of the rankings.

4/24/77 Normal

7/8/78 Red Rocks

5/9/77 Buffalo

10/21/78 Winterland

10/12/84 Augusta

God damn!

Oops...forgot 11/4/77 Jones gang show. And that bumps Augusta.

Augusta doesn't even make the top 5!

And this list is only from the shows he's attended that I know about!

• Forum MVP

Grateful Dead Live at Market Square Arena on 1979-02-03

http://www.archive.org/details/gd79-02-03.set2-nak.clugston.7116.sbeok.shnf

This one only contains the 2nd set but you can find the 1st set if you look for it. The crazy Scarlett>Fire from this sick AUD is worth the listen alone. The Eyes is always a treat. The 2 passages that captivate me are Space + the Wharf Rat. If you really want to hear Phil take to another place, this SPACE is for you. While there are better Wharf Rats, this one features some captivating chord progressions by Jerry - Was it the cold medicine or trancendent brillance? You be the judge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

The Best Of Bobby Vinton ...

She wore blue velvet

Bluer than velvet was the night

Softer than satin was the light

From the stars

She wore blue velvet

Bluer than velvet were her eyes

Warmer than May her tender sighs

Love was ours

Ours a love I held tightly

Feeling the rapture grow

Like a flame burning brightly

But when she left, gone was the glow of

Blue velvet

But in my heart there'll always be

Precious and warm, a memory

Through the years

And I still can see blue velvet

Through my tears

Just watched the movie with Dennis Hopper ... what a trippy flick ...

• Forum MVP

Archive is down so I cannot share the link :icon13: .

Just finished: GD in Richmond 11/1/1985. Jerry was in the soup most of this show but the energy from Bobby on this one is legendary. Love the She Belongs to Me and the Gloria from this show. :P

• Forum MVP

Jerry Garcia Band October 13th 1985 @ The Stone .....opens with Get out of My Life>Like A Road. I can just feel the intimacy of that tiny, tiny bar with these monster openers..... sugarmegs.org Hands down the best JGB first set closer Deal ! the riffs at the end show Jerry's complete involvement with the moment.

Just finished: GD in Richmond 11/1/1985. Jerry was in the soup most of this show but the energy from Bobby on this one is legendary. Love the She Belongs to Me and the Gloria from this show. :P

Legendary. Got me to Hampton and Roanoke in the next years they played VA, just from these 1985 Richmond shows, esp that Dew out of Space with the ripppling...

• Forum MVP

This morning, Eyes of the World>Music Never Stopped from 10/15/76 - Shrine Aud in L.A.

And I must say, it was very nice.

Can't say I raise you, but I cover with the Run for the Roses>I Shall be Released...

41CnnCheuNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Forum MVP

DECD041.jpg

Good Morning Little School Girl, Casey Jones, Dire Wolf, Easy Wind, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider-> High Time, Mama Tried, Good Lovin'-> Drums-> Good Lovin', Cumberland Blues Dark Star-> The Other One-> Dark Star-> Uncle John's Band Jam-> Dark Star-> Saint Stephen-> The Eleven-> Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)-> The Main Ten-> Caution (Do Not Stop On The Tracks-> Feedback-> We Bid You Good Night

Melted.

And then:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd68-10-12.sbd.eD.10909.sbeok.shnf

Dark Star > St Stephen > The Eleven > Death Don't Have No Mercy Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > New Potato Caboose > Jam > Drums > Jam > Feedback

Puddle of goo. What was I thinking?

• Forum MVP

The Archive lets you stream the sdb of only the shows that have not been officially released. This one has been officially released as a Dick's Pick, so only the auds are available of this one on the Archive.

• Forum MVP

Jerry Garcia Band October 13th 1985 @ The Stone ..... Hands down the best JGB first set closer Deal !

LOL.

(That is the first time I've ever used that!)

And this is from someone not adverse to a little exaggeration.

But nonetheless, I love it.

• Forum MVP

Can't say I raise you, but I cover with the Run for the Roses>I Shall be Released...

41CnnCheuNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ooh, yes. I recently bought that CD and wholeheartedly endorse that coupling. Given that no one really has to buy any of this music, I wondered why I did. Patriotism! That's why.

Here's another great pair: Not Fade Away>Wharf Rat. 7/4/81 in Austin, TX. Very, very nice.

128872561666993532.jpg

Archived