Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

Uptown Theatre run Chicago, IL Dec 3-5 1979

Great music and I plan to listen to all 3 shows at least twice over the next 3 days. Doing night 2 currently.

Jack Straw
Peggy-O
Mama Tried
Mexicali Blues
They Love Each Other
New Minglewood Blues
Stagger Lee
Passenger
Deal

China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Looks Like Rain
Estimated Prophet
Franklin's Tower
drums
Not Fade Away
Stella Blue
Sugar Magnolia

U.S. Blues

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sick matrix of 6-23-74. Everyone knows this show for the Dark Star>Spanish Jam>US Blues and the only Let it Rock ever, but I've never found a better Black Throated Wind and the Jack Straw is downright incredible. Amazing vocals throughout and Bill is deep in the zone.

http://archive.org/details/gd1974-06-23.sbd.matrix-sb21b.chappell.83489.flac16

• Forum MVP

The Chicago Dec 79 shows were great.  I plan to listen to more of that tour in the near future, but in a belated attempt to honor my buddy's birthday and oh ya, a strong desire for a shakedown and stranger in the same show; I have entered the realm of 83.  4/15/83

Community War Memorial April 15, 1983 Rochester, NY

Shakedown Street
My Brother Esau
Brown Eyed Women
Little Red Rooster
Dire Wolf
Lazy Lightnin'
Supplication
Deal

Feel Like a Stranger
Samson and Delilah
Ship of Fools
Maybe You Know How I Feel
He's Gone
drums
Throwin' Stones
Not Fade Away
Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad
Around and Around
Johnny B. Goode

Baby Blue

I liked the show.  I found the end throwing stones through johnny b goode to be a little routine, but I really enjoyed the show overall.  The Maybe you Know is a nice treat from 83, brent gives a little rap in rooster, shakedown opener, and stranger, samson 2nd set opener just to name some of the highlights.

• Forum MVP

11-21-73 was a great listen.  The setlist is fantastic.  Would love to see DSO do it.  Brokedown first set.  Wharf rat and Dew in the 2nd.  A weather report suite.  

Me and My Uncle
Sugaree
Jack Straw

Dire Wolf

Black Throated Wind
Big Railroad Blues
Mexicali Blues
They Love Each Other
Looks Like Rain
Here Comes Sunshine
Big River
Brokedown Palace
WRS Prelude
WRS Part 1
Let It Grow

Mississippi Half-Step
Playing in the Band
El Paso
Playing in the Band
Wharf Rat
Playing in the Band
Morning Dew
Truckin'
Nobody's Fault But Mine
Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad
One More Saturday Night

Uncle John's Band

I loved the story of Jack Straw thru Black Throated or even Big Railroad Blues.  Jack catches his buddy and confronts him.  His buddy begs for his life "don't murder me." We all know Jack doesn't spare his buddies life and now tired and broke, sets out towards home "by the light of interstate cars." He must confess after all he has done that she had clearly done better.  Eventually the cops catch up with him and he's singing those old railroad blues.  He did what he felt was right and he had to do, but maybe just maybe he should've listened.

• Forum MVP

Been trying to listen to some new material, but I find myself back at Hampton October 89 shows.  Good stuff.

That show was amazing.   The Warlocks-----cause GD was banned from Hampton from the previous couple years.  First show I ever got into---I think------old tour buddy says it was a Greensboro show, but this was the first show I remember!!!

I stil listen to it.   The Jude Fantasy is one if not my favorite.   Wish I knew then what I knew now, or rather appreciate what I was listening too!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

About to fire up 12/30/79 Oakland, CA to hear the only Grateful Dead Fire > Let it Grow following DSO's same offering this past week in Eugene, OR. Thanks for the info Torin, our encyclopedia of the dead.

That Oakland NYE run is fantastic (12/28 & 12/29 are fuggin awesome too).  After 12/30/79 I am gonna plug back into 10/25/79  http://archive.org/details/gd79-10-25.set1aud-set2sbd.miller.22792.sbeok.shnf.  Why oh why did I used to 'meh' this year.  There is some grrrreeat stuff!

• Forum MVP

I love this thread.  Best one I ever started in my whole life. 

Thanks to all'y'all for all the great stuff!

2-11-70 late show epic spanish jam mm mmm gooood

youtube has gotten to be pretty handy

Archived