Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Had some time in the car today so I fired up 6-4-78 nice and loud....

06/04/78 (Sun)  UC Santa Barbara - Campus Stadium - Goleta, CA
Set 1: Bertha > Good Lovin', Dire Wolf, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Brown Eyed Women, Looks Like Rain, Tennessee Jed, Jack Straw

Set 2: Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Not Fade Away > Nobody's Fault But Mine > Not Fade Away > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > Around and Around, E: U.S. Blues, Sugar Magnolia

An absolutely raging show, very much in the vibe of 78'. A strong first set which finishes with an explosive Jack Straw. Set 2 is balls to the wall. Eyes of the World is fast and sharp. In Around and Around Bobby stumbles over the "police knock" line and Donna interjects, "spit it out bobby...pluhh!"...funny shit. check it.

Hey there Rick and other starheads. With Rob B's birthday coming this weekend, I'll get to do an hour of his music on the radio tonight, 9PM MST. If you go to santafe.com and click on the black 98.1 radio free icon you can stream it. Something to listen to. JB

• Forum MVP

7/9/1989 Giants Stadium

Shakedown Street
Jack Straw
West L.A. Fadeaway
Victim or the Crime
Brown Eyed Women
Queen Jane Approximately
Bird Song

China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Samson and Delilah
Built to Last
Truckin'
drums
Gimme Some Lovin'
Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad
Throwin' Stones
Not Fade Away

Brokedown Palace

• Forum MVP

7/9/1989 Giants Stadium

Shakedown Street

Jack Straw

West L.A. Fadeaway

Victim or the Crime

Brown Eyed Women

Queen Jane Approximately

Bird Song

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Samson and Delilah

Built to Last

Truckin'

drums

Gimme Some Lovin'

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

Throwin' Stones

Not Fade Away

Brokedown Palace

I was in attendance at this one with my brother. One helluva good time. That second set was the dancefest of the summer. No ballad until the encore. Good timing.

Have to agree that 89 was a stellar year.  My favorite show of that year was probably Cal Expo- frickin hot tho.  My favorite show I saw was still probably Calaveras County in 87.  Not only was the band smokin that weekend but the vibe was really strong, wild and weird.   I'm listening to the scarlet-fire from that show...

http://archive.org/details/gd87-08-23.sbd.gardner.4233.sbeok.shnf

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

They return to Red Rocks after the 7/8 and 7/9 shows on 8/30 and 8/31.   They would release a few new songs at the 8/30 and 8/31 shows including World to Give, Stagger Lee, and Shakedown Street.  I've seen DSO play the 7/8 and 7/9 shows at the Nokia Theatre in New York.  Tripple encore on the 9th.  They played some of the August Red Rocks shows in Jamaica.  I've been doing some listening myself.  I will share later.  I've listened to at least 7 shows in their entirety in the last 5 days, including a few shows I feel our historically relevant.  More later.

• Forum MVP

I stumbled upon the first gem and kind of sought out the other.  

I wanted to listen to more Capitol shows and I also wanted to hear some of the latter Pigpen stuff people were/are talking about in the your favorite Pigpen song section.  I randomly chose a 6 night run in early 1971.  The first 2 shows of this run contained several first.  The first night of the run (2/18/71) would also be Mickey's last show until October 74.  On that night, they would play Wharf Rat for the first time, as well as Bertha, Greatest Story, Loser and Playing. The next night, sans Mickey, they would debut Bird Song and Deal.  The first show of the run was a real smoker and all of the recordings were of listenable quality.  I recommend all 6 nights, but especially the first show if you don't have time for all 6.

Bertha
Truckin
Hurts Me Too
Loser
Greatest> Johnny B. Goode
Mama Tried
Hard To Handle
Dark Star> Wharf Rat> Dark Star> Me & My Uncle

Casey Jones
Playin
Bobby McGee
Candyman
Big Boss Man
Sugar Magnolia
St. Stephen> NFA> GDTRFB> NFA> Uncle John

I found the 2nd show of historical significance by searching for the first comes a time.  The first comes a time just so happens to be played at Keith's first show with the band on 10/19/71 at the Northrop Auditorium in Minneapolis, MN.  The band also debuts Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, Mexicali, Saturday night, and Ramble on Rose.  All in all, based on the debuts at the 3 shows mentioned, I would say 1971 was a good year for new Grateful Dead music.  

• Forum MVP

Great recommendation!  If I'm not mistaken, the DS>WF>DS contains the infamous "Beautiful Jam" that appears on the So Many Roads box set.  Totally awesome!  1971 Indeed :)  PM me if you would like a copy of this Box Set.

I was just listening to the 3rd night of Jubilee and might contend that DSO had their own Beautiful Jam out of drums!  Take a listen and see if you agree...It's amazing something so joyous and wonderful could wind it's way into such sorrowful blues of Death Don't.  That's DSO and that's..........LIFE....personified!

Jerry Garcia Band - 02-14-1976 Keystone, Berkeley, California 

Luckily have a SBD copy of the show. Mellow show in ways but with very emotive playing. Personally think the Moonlight Mile is quite a standout. Some songs really get you at just the right moment.

Archived