Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

Good choices. Those Capital shows were some of those good soundboards that I had early on. Really love the Hurts me too from 2-19, some of the best bluesy guitar playing from Jerry. Amazing to listen to one of those early PITB'S clocking in around 3-4 minutes knowing what it would later become.

I stumbled upon the first gem and kind of sought out the other.  

I wanted to listen to more Capitol shows and I also wanted to hear some of the latter Pigpen stuff people were/are talking about in the your favorite Pigpen song section.  I randomly chose a 6 night run in early 1971.  The first 2 shows of this run contained several first.  The first night of the run (2/18/71) would also be Mickey's last show until October 74.  On that night, they would play Wharf Rat for the first time, as well as Bertha, Greatest Story, Loser and Playing. The next night, sans Mickey, they would debut Bird Song and Deal.  The first show of the run was a real smoker and all of the recordings were of listenable quality.  I recommend all 6 nights, but especially the first show if you don't have time for all 6.

Bertha
Truckin
Hurts Me Too
Loser
Greatest> Johnny B. Goode
Mama Tried
Hard To Handle
Dark Star> Wharf Rat> Dark Star> Me & My Uncle

Casey Jones
Playin
Bobby McGee
Candyman
Big Boss Man
Sugar Magnolia
St. Stephen> NFA> GDTRFB> NFA> Uncle John

I found the 2nd show of historical significance by searching for the first comes a time.  The first comes a time just so happens to be played at Keith's first show with the band on 10/19/71 at the Northrop Auditorium in Minneapolis, MN.  The band also debuts Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, Mexicali, Saturday night, and Ramble on Rose.  All in all, based on the debuts at the 3 shows mentioned, I would say 1971 was a good year for new Grateful Dead music.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Jerry Garcia Band - 02-14-1976 Keystone, Berkeley, California 

Luckily have a SBD copy of the show. Mellow show in ways but with very emotive playing. Personally think the Moonlight Mile is quite a standout. Some songs really get you at just the right moment.

Love this show.....great Sitting in Limbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

11.21.1973 > Denver Coliseum

Just got through: Playin> El Paso> Playin> Dark Star Jam> Wharf Rat > Playin> Morning Dew

There are some loose moments in this show and there are some other all-timers from November 1973.  That said, this passage is about as good as it gets for me in 1973!

• Forum MVP
  • Listening and watching NYE 12/31/1987. I know it's a fairly standard run of songs; however, sometimes it's just feels good to go back to the year when the bus was running full steam ahead.

NYE '87 was all about the 1st set (unless Hell In A Bucket at midnight floats your banana boat).  Bertha Promised Cold Rain were super powerful, and the Bird Song Music closing was sensational.  Good choice!

• Forum MVP
  • Listening and watching NYE 12/31/1987. I know it's a fairly standard run of songs; however, sometimes it's just feels good to go back to the year when the bus was running full steam ahead.
NYE '87 was all about the 1st set (unless Hell In A Bucket at midnight floats your banana boat).  Bertha Promised Cold Rain were super powerful, and the Bird Song Music closing was sensational.  Good choice!
That's my only New Years Eve with the Grateful Dead ... Glad I made it !!!

• Forum MVP

DSO 7-12-12 Springfield. I was just reading some old posts and I realized I'm an obsessor. I listened to 77 Dead almost exclusively for months. Those perfect betty boards along with that groovin sound made that the perfect match. Now I can barely stand any other music than DSO during the mattson era. They are like 72 dead playing in 1995. This playin I'm listening to atm blows my mind every time I hear it.

10-14-1977 Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston, Texas

Excellent show and probably one of the more overlooked shows of 77. Jerry is on fire from start to finish. Playin>drums>The Wheel>Wharf Rat>Around & Around>Brokedown>Playin is a serious whirlwind of top notch playing. The Brokedown is something dear for the soul.

Throughout my life music has been a great passion. Never could I have imagined a band would affect me so deeply. No matter what may happen in life, I will forever know where to find happiness

Jubilee Night 3....YOU KNOW HE HAD TO DIE!!!!!! Finally put on the headphones and had a listen(previously been a car/work listen) and good lord was this band out of their minds this night.....pretty sure I was lifted back in time a few weeks...

• Forum MVP

Was checking every day on nugs for the jubilee shows b4 they went on tour. Alas we will have to wait at least another month. I hope rob posts some 2013 shows soon, at least the jubilee ones. I know he likes to remaster them b4 he uploads unlike everyone else that uploads the SBD next day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Listening to this one tonight and loving the  memories !!!

DSO Show: 1998 • 11/17/2011 Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA

Credit to the Grateful Dead for creating this masterpiece. That being said, DSO's version is always in my rotation. The St. Stephen - Eyes - Let it Grow to start the second set is really amazing. Matson just kills it on Eyes, and the interplay between the band is wonderful to listen to. The Eyes especially goes even furthur than the Dead's version in my opinion, building on an experimental take with the extended closing jam from that time at the beginning. Chills inducing.

Once Let it Grow started I remembered thinking I couldn't believe how DSO could actually play this show. And that's only the first part of the second set! Glad this one was released. Still hoping for the Europe 72 show at the same venue.

Setlist: 6/9/76 - Boston Music Hall, Boston MA

One: Cold Rain And Snow ; Cassidy ; Scarlet Begonias ; The Music Never Stopped ; Crazy Fingers ; Big River ; They Love Each Other ; Looks Like Rain ; Ship Of Fools ; The Promised Land 

Two: Saint Stephen > Eyes Of The World > Let It Grow > Drums > Let It Grow ; Brown Eyed Women ; Lazy Lightnin' > Supplication ; High Time ; Samson And Delilah ; It Must Have Been The Roses ; Dancing In The Street > Wharf Rat > Around And Around 

Encore: Franklin's Tower

Archived