Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1977-10-29 Evans Field House - Northern Illinois University Dekalb, IL

http://archive.org/details/gd1977-10-29.sbd.miller.92085.sbeok.flac16

After it Must Have Been the Roses, Mr. Lesh comes in to say "I just want all of you to know, that this is the happiest day of my life."

As for the show it is a favorite of mine from 77? I question that because there are a lot of good shows from 77. As for second sets, it doesn't get much better than this.

This music sure is the greatest thing my ears have ever been graced with. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

http://archive.org/details/gd1990-03-22.111464.unknown.sbd.shnf      Copps Coliseum 3-22-1990 Hey Jude>Fantasy>Hey Jude, kinda makes me miss Brent  :(

Listened to this show a week or two ago. Definitely have listened to it before, but it's a show easily worth relistening to. Brent messes up part of the lyrics to Hey Jude, regardless it is one of those moments Brent really pours his heart and soul into the music. Clearly a man with a lot of emotions and I'm glad he was able to release them through music while he was alive. A lot of people always talk about the Scarlet>Fire from the show, and I understand why. Either way it just goes to show the boys could still really pull it together after two decades of touring.

1979-12-26 Oakland Auditorium Oakland, CA (Dick's Picks Vol. 5)

This is the first night of their 1979 New Years run. I'm a big fan of Fall '79. This show contains what might just be my favorite UJB; a tune which I have really been into the past few days. The band was on top of their game this night. Set 2 is straight fire: UJB>Estimated>He's Gone>The Other One>Drums>Space>NFA>Brokedown Palace>Around n Around>Johnny B. Goode. In the encore they polish off the UJB with an interesting encore of Shakedown>UJB. If you are not familiar with this UJB, listen to it!

Sadly, I must leave this show for now as the nightlife of Friday in DC beckons me. I bet a million dollars they don't play UJB at a single bar I go to tonight. At least it makes the next DSO show that much better :).

• Forum MVP

I know a couple of folks who were at these shows, and I'd have been happy just to manifest there for this one song. They do it to perfection. Check out 7:55-8:55 for fiddle bliss.

No ceiling bearin' down on me
Save the starry sky above

• Forum MVP

1979-12-26 Oakland Auditorium Oakland, CA (Dick's Picks Vol. 5)

This is the first night of their 1979 New Years run. I'm a big fan of Fall '79. This show contains what might just be my favorite UJB; a tune which I have really been into the past few days. The band was on top of their game this night. Set 2 is straight fire: UJB>Estimated>He's Gone>The Other One>Drums>Space>NFA>Brokedown Palace>Around n Around>Johnny B. Goode. In the encore they polish off the UJB with an interesting encore of Shakedown>UJB. If you are not familiar with this UJB, listen to it!

Also of note this is the 1st Uncle John's in over two years!

• Forum MVP

Just listened to the 5-5-77 show again. That's my fav of that 4 show run through 5-11-77. Man that Betty board has amazing sound. Actually listening to Rob E.'s remaster. That is a such an explosive show. That morning dew is such a sick 2nd set ender. I don't care what anyone says I think this was as good as any may 77 show :).

5-5 through 5-11 would be 5 shows, but point taken. I think the strongest is 5-9 on account of the Help/Slip and the Comes a Time

Listened to that Comes a Time last night. I honestly don't think there is any better. I'll have to revist some of these shows again, but 5-9 is my favorite also; there may be a little bias in that since the show is in Buffalo. I just think the music is as good as it comes and the show has an excellent balance between slow and fast songs.

Archived