Now Listening...

You Are Here

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Listened to the JK Band show above.  I still like JK but something is missing and I can't really put my finger on it.  There are some really nice moments but the closest analogy I can think of is:  Swimming Upstream.  I really like his JGB covers but he could stand to stretch them out a bit.  YMMV.

Anywho:  Today in GD History!  5/1/81 @ Hampton.  A really grood show, during a really good run, of a really great year!

https://archive.org/details/gd1981-05-01.sbd.miller.107437.flac16

• 2 weeks later...

A spring 1973 Boston Garden gem recently discovered via gdradio.net (very nice soundboard):

https://archive.org/details/gd73-04-02.sbd.miller.17346.sbeok.shnf

A beautiful early Eyes (one of my favorites now, despite forgotten lyrics) and segue from Weather Report Prelude, must be heard together. Really special from the whole band, and only 30 songs into the show! Also great Here Comes Sunshine, Playing, excellent China Rider, etc. The show highlights great chops from Weir.

Those must have been the days. Hope to catch a 73 DSO recreation back in Boston! 

• Forum MVP

A spring 1973 Boston Garden gem recently discovered via gdradio.net (very nice soundboard):

A beautiful early Eyes (one of my favorites now, despite forgotten lyrics) and segue from Weather Report Prelude, must be heard together. Really special from the whole band, and only 30 songs into the show! Also great Here Comes Sunshine, Playing, excellent China Rider, etc. The show highlights great chops from Weir.

Those must have been the days. Hope to catch a 73 DSO recreation back in Boston!

So being curious when the dead stopped playing the wave that flag lyrics switching to US blues I discovered an interesting analysis of the song US blues. Since bobby changed hunters 1 more Saturday night lyrics, he told hunter that he wanted to change the name OMSN to US Blues. Hunter refused. I read where the line You can call this song the United States blues was actually hunter telling bobby this is us blues and not your abomination of my one more Saturday night lyrics.

When someone asks me if I could see any band/ musician dead or alive, my first answer, as I'm sure is the same for most all of you, is an easy answer of the Grateful Dead. My second choice however, would be Fela Kuti. I'm imagine there might be a topic already asking that same question. Either way, the music is really jammed out but in a different way. Although his lyrics are mostly not in English you get the general purpose of them, and the guy had a lot to say. It's different.

• Forum MVP

I went through a big Fela phase. Still have all his albums, of which there are quite a few. (maybe not all, but at least 17 or so). Great groove, and Fela was a great multi-instrumentalist. Good shit

So being curious when the dead stopped playing the wave that flag lyrics switching to US blues I discovered an interesting analysis of the song US blues. Since bobby changed hunters 1 more Saturday night lyrics, he told hunter that he wanted to change the name OMSN to US Blues. Hunter refused. I read where the line You can call this song the United States blues was actually hunter telling bobby this is us blues and not your abomination of my one more Saturday night lyrics.

Interesting find!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Spearhead "Yell Fire" the whole album is worth a listen. Energizing and revolutionary reality.

Other than that I'm still stuck in the November 1990 JGB 5 night run at the Wiltern. Really great Senor>Don't Let Go from the 13th. Bill Walton was in our row that night and was sharing some goodies he brought back from the European GD tour.

• Forum MVP

We are looking forward to seeing Winwood at our shiny new local Brooklyn Bowl franchise venue here on Friday the 13th. The Low Spark dream should finally come true.

Chuck I hope the realization of your Low Spark dream is as good as my Viola Lee was!!!

• Forum MVP

No it won't. But I dug deep and celebrated the solid year indeedy at the Jubilee closer. So since we are children playing with toys, and I'm not sure of the next time I'll get on a jet plane, this will tide me over for a while.

• Forum MVP

No it won't. But I dug deep and celebrated the solid year indeedy at the Jubilee closer. So since we are children playing with toys, and I'm not sure of the next time I'll get on a jet plane, this will tide me over for a while.

Have seen both Traffic and Winwood solo, getting a Low Spark at both shows. Pretty fucking good, but yes gonna be hard to beat the Viola. I've gotten 2 Violas in my last 4 shows. Very blessed.

• Forum MVP

Have seen both Traffic and Winwood solo, getting a Low Spark at both shows. Pretty fucking good, but yes gonna be hard to beat the Viola. I've gotten 2 Violas in my last 4 shows. Very blessed.

Good times indeed-y

Archived