Now Listening...

You Are Here

• Forum MVP

4/4/91 revisiting

Great energy at the show. I had just come from the Greensboro Coliseum shows. I threw in a couple of classes in between. The High Time and He's Gone stand out in my memory, love the concept of Let the Good Times Roll opener - the harmonizing not so much

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I'm sure this comment wont go over well, but i liked 80's dead better than the 70's and i have over 200 dead shows under my belt

Did you see any shows from the '70's or was it mostly '80's?  I can understand liking the '80's from an experiential standpoint but each year of the 1970's was almost an separate era in of itself. 

I liked the '80's but it got a lot more formulaic as that decade went along aside from a few surprises here and there. 

Settling on these lately for earlish '80's:

5/6/81

9/2/83

10/9/84

I got on the bus in 81, but listen to bootlegs from the 70's before that. I'm listening to lake placid now :headbang: shows that stand out to me the most from the 80's that i attended hampton, hartford, hershey , spac, kingswood, the dome, portland, providence, worchester, hartford, foxboro, all maine shows,alpine valley, niagra falls, pittsburgh civic center and of course hershey. We got some goodies i the east coast wish i had made it out west, but never did

• Forum MVP

Throw out some of your favorite 80s shows. Tell us which one you put on today.

I may listen to 9/8/83 today.

That was my second show....red rocks was smoldering like a cauldron for 9/7 & 9/8. I've been hanging around spring 88 lately, just finishing up 4/15/88 that dstone had sent me a few years back. Apparently, the soundboards of 88 had been corrected from those of 87, making them fuller?

• Forum MVP

Throw out some of your favorite 80s shows. Tell us which one you put on today.

I may listen to 9/8/83 today.

Apparently, the soundboards of 88 had been corrected from those of 87, making them fuller?

I'm not sure what DStone had but they are/were crackling with energy.  Methinks FM broadcast or some weird Matrix....

• Forum MVP

Just listened to 10-9-84. Turns out tea meant to post 10-8 but the 10-9 board is just glorious. Jerry's voice is just dreamy on he's gone. I'd been on a 66-69 kick lately as I just love Jerry's young voice but the vocal mix on this 10-9 is superb.

Now on to my fav audience recording 3-14-81 Hartford. Haven't listened to it in a couple years but the quality is just unmatched. Rainy day and the boss is out of town so have the laptop out at the house pretending to work and listening to Dead stream through the stereo.

For 1980s recordings I'm also a big fan of 10-31-83. That show has a special place in my heart. Great show and quality rec, but also one of the first tapes my father in law and I bonded over. It was one of the first times I hung out with the guy solo. Nothing like a mutual love of the GD to break the ice. We literally became buds over the course of listening to this show. Amazing experience for me. Impossible not to smile from ear to ear whenever I hear it ever since. Love!

• Forum MVP

McNichols > Denver, CO > 12/12/90 popped up on GD Radio in the wee hours of the morning.  Great memories - Never been any closer to the stage - smack dab in front of Jerry, 3rd row.  Just one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life!  Not the best show ever by any means but one of the stronger ones I was ever lucky enough to see. 

If you want to give it a spin, use this version so you can hear how jacked up the crowd was - like Philly fans:  JACKED!

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-12-12.mtx.tobin.87659.sbeok.flac16

Loose Lucy, Walkin Blues (yeah I said it), Maggies Farm, and a heavy-metal Deal were 1st set highlights.  The 2nd set will simply live in infamy despite Bruce deciding it would be a good idea to bring his accordion to Dark Star - oy vey....Vince doesn't do this show too many favors either but Jerry & Phil's stunning performances cover that wart pretty well.

• Forum MVP

2-2-69 Labor Temple, Astoria, Oregon. This show pretty much smokes end to end with a nice schoolgirl opener into one of my top 5 dark stars. And then the Stephen>eleven>death>Cryptical>other one sandy, holy fuck sticks. Jerry is tripping through his fingers. And an epic lovelight to close it out. Even for a soundboard it's not stellar quality, but it makes up for it in the sheer raw dead of the late 60's. Pig pen shines like a mo fo in this show. Fn love it!

• Forum MVP

Janis for the last several days. Makes me want to find a good blues show this weekend. Maybe I'll track down that young guitar player, Cody Matlock, that has been the hit around the Atlanta region of late.

peace, Love and Good Music for all,

Doc

• 1 month later...

1970-05-15...the only Dead/Jerry I have on my phone besides some Jerry and Merl. Very good show. Kept me company as I hacked my way through the Guyanese jungle today. Quiting work for 3 months and traveling South America is the best idea I have had yet.<a href="http://imgur.com/vNQvOXq">http://imgur.com/vNQvOXq</a>

One more thing, I'll be at the second DC show and NORVA. I'll be very happy to see any who make it.

1974-08-06 Roosevelt Stadium - Eyes

1968-10-12 Avalon Ballroom - The Eleven

1973-06-10 RFK Stadium - PITB

1972-04-08 Wembley - Dark Star>Sugar Magnolia>Caution

One of my favorite things about Jerry Garcia in his youthful days was his patience and relentlessness in his playing. The Jerry solo in the first 10 minutes of the Dark Star I list is a prime example of what I am talking about. There's a moment where the jam settles. You'd think the peak has already been reached and they will go into the first verse, but no! It is one of those moments I know that he was getting really high off the music, and, just like the crowd, didn't want to come down. I see these moments in really old videos. He will have a fixed-point stare with his mouth slightly ajar and head nodding ever so slightly to the rythym--utterly entranced! I'm pretty sure he sees nothing whatsoever in front of him. He forfeits his sense of sight to feed his sense of sound. Many you have probably done this at shows or in your bedroom. There's nothing like listening to psychedelic Dead lying back on your bed with your eyes closed for hours on end on those ever special days.

So, I began listening to the Dead again. This all started after I finished Marquez's "Love in the Time of Cholera", a fantastic book by a Nobel prize winning Colombian author. His unflattering description of couples in old age made me think of Attics of My Life. The song, I believe to also be a description of a couple in old age. Many of you probably didn't know I stopped listening to the Dead for an extended period of time. I did it consciously. For one, I wanted the music to become fresh again for me. For two, I began a new obsession of listening to podcasts, and, boy, has it been an obsession. So here I am, listening to the Dead again. I go hike in the jungle during the day and listen to the Dead in at night. What can I say? Life sure is strange...yet, utterly echanting. I'm having a lot of fun out here. As a say, there is no better companion to traveling than The Dead, especially when you travel alone like me. Will I return to my Dead obsession of listening to the music for hours on end when I return home? We'll have to see. Moderation is important; always been a firm believer in Aristotle's Golden Mean. Though I sure have abandoned that rule in the past. Maybe too much is just enough.

There are several things I am looking forward to upon my return to America. One of which, is having a grand ol' time with my brothers Sun and Rick while going out for two nights of DSO. No New Years Run this year for me. Spending the holidays with the parents this year in that God forsaken place Hilton Head Island. You never know when those bastards are going to die, so I think I best listen to Phil and get to know them while I can. My Dad spent a month with me in Peru, which was surprisingly fun<--you would've never caught me saying that 6 years ago! Although the limits of his physical state frustrated me, I'm glad I invited that old fucker to come along--yes, you child bearing individuals, this is how your kids speak of you.

Ooooh how I love you early pyschedlic Dead. Ignite might soul with your vigor! I relish in keeping rhythm to your demonic beat. This music is for those whole dwell in this world with a deep passion that lurks silently withinside their soul, unperceived by the rest of society. The freaks, the fragile, and the impassioned. Unleashed only by the sonic bliss of the Grateful Dead. This music is like the summons to all my youthful blood!

Life is so very very good. I cannot wait. I cannot wait...

• Forum MVP

1974-08-06 Roosevelt Stadium - Eyes

1968-10-12 Avalon Ballroom - The Eleven

1973-06-10 RFK Stadium - PITB

1972-04-08 Wembley - Dark Star>Sugar Magnolia>Caution

One of my favorite things about Jerry Garcia in his youthful days was his patience and relentlessness in his playing. The Jerry solo in the first 10 minutes of the Dark Star I list is a prime example of what I am talking about. There's a moment where the jam settles. You'd think the peak has already been reached and they will go into the first verse, but no! It is one of those moments I know that he was getting really high off the music, and, just like the crowd, didn't want to come down. I see these moments in really old videos. He will have a fixed-point stare with his mouth slightly ajar and head nodding ever so slightly to the rythym--utterly entranced! I'm pretty sure he sees nothing whatsoever in front of him. He forfeits his sense of sight to feed his sense of sound. Many you have probably done this at shows or in your bedroom. There's nothing like listening to psychedelic Dead lying back on your bed with your eyes closed for hours on end on those ever special days.

So, I began listening to the Dead again. This all started after I finished Marquez's "Love in the Time of Cholera", a fantastic book by a Nobel prize winning Colombian author. His unflattering description of couples in old age made me think of Attics of My Life. The song, I believe to also be a description of a couple in old age. Many of you probably didn't know I stopped listening to the Dead for an extended period of time. I did it consciously. For one, I wanted the music to become fresh again for me. For two, I began a new obsession of listening to podcasts, and, boy, has it been an obsession. So here I am, listening to the Dead again. I go hike in the jungle during the day and listen to the Dead in at night. What can I say? Life sure is strange...yet, utterly echanting. I'm having a lot of fun out here. As a say, there is no better companion to traveling than The Dead, especially when you travel alone like me. Will I return to my Dead obsession of listening to the music for hours on end when I return home? We'll have to see. Moderation is important; always been a firm believer in Aristotle's Golden Mean. Though I sure have abandoned that rule in the past. Maybe too much is just enough.

There are several things I am looking forward to upon my return to America. One of which, is having a grand ol' time with my brothers Sun and Rick while going out for two nights of DSO. No New Years Run this year for me. Spending the holidays with the parents this year in that God forsaken place Hilton Head Island. You never know when those bastards are going to die, so I think I best listen to Phil and get to know them while I can. My Dad spent a month with me in Peru, which was surprisingly fun<--you would've never caught me saying that 6 years ago! Although the limits of his physical state frustrated me, I'm glad I invited that old fucker to come along--yes, you child bearing individuals, this is how your kids speak of you.

Ooooh how I love you early pyschedlic Dead. Ignite might soul with your vigor! I relish in keeping rhythm to your demonic beat. This music is for those whole dwell in this world with a deep passion that lurks silently withinside their soul, unperceived by the rest of society. The freaks, the fragile, and the impassioned. Unleashed only by the sonic bliss of the Grateful Dead. This music is like the summons to all my youthful blood!

Life is so very very good. I cannot wait. I cannot wait...

Well said Mike, you captured many of my feelings about this music... Except that part about moderation... Ha. I love lots of different music and styles, but GD has consumed about 80% of my listening for nearly 30 yrs now. Putting on some GD for me is like wrapping up in a warm blanket, never gets old. Safe travels friend, look forward to hanging again.

Archived